8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

2017 Maxima (Sounds like I'm driving on rumble strips) CVT Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 06:30 AM

2017 Maxima (Sounds like I'm driving on rumble strips) CVT Issue?

When driving on the highway at 55+ and sound is faint below that but there my max sounds like I'm driving over rumble strips without the super harsh vibrations. There is vibration in the steering wheel, gas pedal, and floorboard but just not that bad. Noise appears to be coming from the front under the dash/gear shift area. Vibration seems to be better in park and neutral but return while idleing in drive or reverse. Car has 112k miles on it with 90% being highway on a 120 mile round trip commute.

I've replaced all wheel hub assembly, both CV axles, 4 brand new tires, new rotors and pads and all new spark plugs. Tires have been balanced twice and alignment twice. Tires are new Pirelli Cinturato and have been looked at for flat spots. They have also been road forces checked. Suspension is good and motor mounts are good.

Leads me to the transmission area. Everything I have read is the rumble strip effect usually relates to the torque converter or solenoid not functioning correctly. I have also just noticed my average MPG for 2 years which has always been 29mpg is now showing 27.4MPG. Also experencied WAY more judder at lower RPMs and speed than previously. Car seems to shift fine with no bouncing RPMs, no slipping, and i can't hear a pronounced whine. Accerlation seems kind of bogged down and I feel a very pronounced push foward like the torque converter lockup when coming to a stop with brakes applied much more than previously.

I took it to AutoZone and they used their good OBD2 scanner but there wasn't any codes. They did say their scanner hadn't been updated in awhile so it just might not be reading them correctly.

If it is torque converter related would new fluid inside it fix my issue? I have done two drain and fills on the transmission but I'm assuming Nissan didn't drain the torque converter either time since I have read it's usually a separate plug? If fluid doesn't work how much would a torque converter replacement run or is that something they would just want to replace the whole CVT?

I'm out of guesses at this point after replacing all above and it not fixing my issue. Nissan delaership can't seem to give me any answers.

Last edited by Shozen; 07-07-2019 at 07:04 AM.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:13 AM

Bent rim? Busted Strut ? Rotate the tires from front to back and see if it makes a difference.....what you got to lose at this point lol
Old 07-07-2019, 08:28 AM

Appreciate the reply. 100% not a bent rim. Dealership claims struts and everything related to suspension is good to go. I'm leaning torque converter at this point. Seems to match all the current symptoms. Pretty sad though it's got to this point of the terrible rumbling noise seeing how I have complained about some faint rumbling and judder 3+ weeks ago to the dealership and them saying it's normal to only have gotten 10x worse.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:43 AM

Try a different dealership, or a good transmission shop that familiar with CVT's
Old 11-28-2019, 04:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Did you ever get this figured out? I am having what I consider exact same issue on a brand new 2019 with 1400 miles on it. Taking it to dealer to check out but curious as to your situation.
Old 11-28-2019, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by feotto
Did you ever get this figured out? I am having what I consider exact same issue on a brand new 2019 with 1400 miles on it. Taking it to dealer to check out but curious as to your situation.

Hey sorry I have not. I still haven't had a break down or any check engine lights but I haven't found the issue. Sadly you will probably be wasting your time at the dealership. They have driven mine 5-6 times and each time they claim no issue.

Here is what I have done though: I've replaced the CV joints both sides, wheel bearing assemblys all around, new tires, new spark plugs. New CVT fluid along with multiple alignments and balances.

I've cleaned the mass airflow sensor and no intake leaks that I can find.

I'm considering changing the engine mounts and transmission mount but the dealership doesnt seem to think they are bad upon visual inspection. I've also though it could possibly be an exhaust leak of some kind but again the dealership claims no exhaust leaks. I also thought maybe a bad spark plug but I'd think I would be getting a misfire code.

I put almost 20k miles on mine since this issue started and while I think its slightly got worse as far as vibration there is still zero check engine codes.
Old 11-28-2019, 08:23 PM

"Vibration seems to be better in park and neutral but return while idleing in drive or reverse." So you are saying you get this rumbling at 55mph+ and also while idling in drive or reverse. If you are getting vibration at 0 mph, while idling, then that alone rules out any suspension issues such as wheels, tires, bearings, shocks, sway bar and end link bushings, etc. Your dealer is just throwing parts, and your money, at this problem. As suggested find another dealer, and also drive another car like yours, with a dealer tech, during the same visit. Compare.

Last edited by compyelc4; 11-28-2019 at 08:25 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

So the dealer has had mine since yesterday morning and no update yet. 2019 Maxima SL with 1400 miles now. Having the rear pop/clunk fixed as well (I hope). This is the 6th new Maxima I have bought and hoping I'm not stuck with with an ongoing issue. Ironically, they put me in a 2019 Murano with 4500 miles and it exhibits the same vibration issue. I'm getting concerned they changed something on the 8th gen CVT's which wasn't fully vetted, however would think there would be more reports here. The only difference I can tell between this and my 2014 is the extra 7th gear. The Murano produces an obnoxious bass note at low speed while CVT is chugging along at 1k-1300 RPM's. Very annoying.
I will post updates once available.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:55 PM

So the dealer has had mine since yesterday morning and no update yet. 2019 Maxima SL with 1400 miles now. Having the rear pop/clunk fixed as well (I hope). This is the 6th new Maxima I have bought and hoping I'm not stuck with with an ongoing issue. Ironically, they put me in a 2019 Murano with 4500 miles and it exhibits the same vibration issue. I'm getting concerned they changed something on the 8th gen CVT's which wasn't fully vetted, however would think there would be more reports here. The only difference I can tell between this and my 2014 is the extra 7th gear. The Murano produces an obnoxious bass note at low speed while CVT is chugging along at 1k-1300 RPM's. Very annoying.
"The only difference I can tell between this and my 2014 is the extra 7th gear". You have gears? Maybe virtual gears, yeah.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:50 PM

Are you sure its not your tires? That's sure what it sounds like.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:24 AM

I drove 4 new Maximas on the lot...all vibrated. I drove 3 Kicks....all vibrated......I am going with CVT. Every once in a while I guess they make make a smooth one. As Odd as my CVT acts sometimes in my Altima, it does not vibrate. Now the CVT in the Quest is actually the best CVT I have ever driven.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:00 AM

What about motor or transmission mounts? Seems like any vibration like this that is evident even during idle/not moving, transmission is likely not direct cause of it. But mounts if they are bad will send all kinds of vibration throughout the car. I don't know about this car in particular, there are usually several for the motor, and at least one under the transmission. I'm surprised those weren't checked by the dealership right away.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:23 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by compyelc4
"The only difference I can tell between this and my 2014 is the extra 7th gear". You have gears? Maybe virtual gears, yeah.
Yes, virtual gear. Didn't know how better to say it.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Lemonhawk
Are you sure its not your tires? That's sure what it sounds like.
No, I'm not sure if it's the tires. Would be nice if so, but I'm not holding my breath on it being just that simple. Dealer has had it now 2.5 days and no feedback yet.