8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

9th Generation Rumblings

Old 03-29-2018, 06:17 PM

9th Generation Rumblings

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/03/ni...ntra-due-2019/

Bunce also confirmed the company is working on an all-new Maxima. Little is known about the car but the VP suggested Nissan will “really push the envelope” and deliver “something greater than people ever thought or imagined a Maxima could be.”
Don't expect it before 2022.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:04 PM

Bump

Glad to hear they are talking long term plans for the Maxima. Me thinks they have copied so many of the design cues to the Altima , the Max won't stand out as much anymore. Hopefully the 2022 (or sooner) debuts something really cutting edge again. They'll have to do something to justify the 10k premium over what the Altima costs
Old 04-06-2018, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Fishlet
Bump

Glad to hear they are talking long term plans for the Maxima. Me thinks they have copied so many of the design cues to the Altima , the Max won't stand out as much anymore. Hopefully the 2022 (or sooner) debuts something really cutting edge again. They'll have to do something to justify the 10k premium over what the Altima costs
Agree. The new 2019 Altima has all the same feature as the Maxima minus the 300ponies. I showed my niece the new Altima and she rather purchase that over the maxima because of their identical design with 10k less than the maxima.
Old 04-07-2018, 06:50 AM

Problem is with the Altima, you see yourself coming and going all the time.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by robtroxel
Problem is with the Altima, you see yourself coming and going all the time.
And have trouble deciding which of the 1,000 Altimas we find in any large parking lot is ours.

I love the design of the 8th gen Maxima, and get lots of compliments on it from my friends. The interior is especially nice. I also love the 8th gen CVT, which is the best CVT I have ever driven. I am getting 33/34 MPG on freeway trips in a 3600 pound 300 HP car. I think back to the trannies I have had since I began driving around 1945 (yes, I am a geezer). I enjoyed rowing the manuals, but when I consider the gridlock I have to drive in these days, I have never had a tranny that better serves the purpose in today's traffic than this CVT. To each his own.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by R1600Turbo
'22 is also the date I have been hearing, IF nothing goes terribly wrong in testing, as it did with the 2015 Maxima, which arrived very late as the 2016. I am already planning to buy a 9th gen the first year they are available, as I always have with each new generation. The Maxima has never let me down, which the cars I drove from the 1940s through the 1970s tended to do.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:49 PM
Turbo'd Saab

Altima has AWD now....soooooo there is that.
Old 05-08-2018, 03:18 AM

So 7 more years until the 9th Gen... I just hope they keep the 3.5 V6 and add more HP and torque. I'd also keep the infotainment center the way it is. Not a fan of how the new Altima has an exterior screen instead of an integrated screen like the Maxima

I'm assuming they're going to include AWD since this is Nissan's flagship, and it'll probably be standard on SL/SR/Platinum.

For the 9th gen, I'd like them to have more transmission options. CVT for base and SV, traditional 8 or 10 speed on higher trims (maybe even a DCT). And this might be a pipe dream but I'd love to see a 6 speed option for the SR trim

Also, how about a damn moon roof for the SR? What kind of luxury car over 30k doesn't have a moonroof

Last edited by mo neenja31; 05-08-2018 at 03:22 AM.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by mo neenja31
So 7 more years until the 9th Gen... I just hope they keep the 3.5 V6 and add more HP and torque. I'd also keep the infotainment center the way it is. Not a fan of how the new Altima has an exterior screen instead of an integrated screen like the Maxima

I'm assuming they're going to include AWD since this is Nissan's flagship, and it'll probably be standard on SL/SR/Platinum.

For the 9th gen, I'd like them to have more transmission options. CVT for base and SV, traditional 8 or 10 speed on higher trims (maybe even a DCT). And this might be a pipe dream but I'd love to see a 6 speed option for the SR trim

Also, how about a damn moon roof for the SR? What kind of luxury car over 30k doesn't have a moonroof
I think your dreamin. They absolutely will not ditch the CVT, and frankly I don't think they should. It's already quite good and will continue to improve. Unfortunately a turbo V4 is probably inevitable... everyone is going in that direction. You are probably right about it getting AWD though
Old 05-08-2018, 02:16 PM

I think your dreamin. They absolutely will not ditch the CVT, and frankly I don't think they should. It's already quite good and will continue to improve. Unfortunately a turbo V4 is probably inevitable... everyone is going in that direction. You are probably right about it getting AWD though
I don't think they'll do away with it but give us some options
Old 05-08-2018, 11:04 PM

So 7 more years until the 9th Gen...
2022 = 3 years
Old 05-09-2018, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by R1600Turbo
2022 = 3 years
2022 = 3 years = 21 dog years.

Man, I don't think Rufus is gonna want to wait that long!
Old 06-06-2018, 08:19 PM
Banned

It will probably be a hybrid AWD with 300-350hp.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:22 PM
Banned

Why does anybody want a stick in 2022? All the finest performance cars like Lamborghinis, Porsches, Ferraris etc don't have sticks anymore because it is obsolete. Keep dreaming.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:13 AM

With traffic in total gridlock in increasingly larger areas of the country, I will be surprised if Nissan even thinks about a stick shift in any version of the Maxima. We need to remember that one of the reasons Nissan has always been able to give us the Maxima at a price a little below equivalently equipped cars from other companies is that they keep the power train exactly the same in ALL Maxima versions. That will NOT change. Even if it means having to put AWD in EVERY version of the Maxima.

As for stick shift, Nissan will remember that 1998 through 2006 disaster when they could not give manually equipped Maximas away, and dealers refused to even accept them from Nissan. Nissan lost millions in that mess, and it WILL NOT be repeated.

And 2022 has not been locked in for the 9th gen. Nissan has a lot to think about with this 9th gen. Other manufacturers are dropping sedans like hot coals because they are not selling. Although the Altima has always sold well, the Rogue has risen in sales very well, and is the most advertised Nissan vehicle at this time. I could easily see the 9th gen Maxima arriving in mid or late '22 as the '23 model. For the first time in over thirty years, I could even see Nissan making that heartbreaking decision to drop the Maxima. That would be the end of life as I have known it for over thirty years. If the 9th gen is as radical a change as some are hinting, a lot of work must be done before building and testing can even begin.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 06-07-2018 at 09:22 AM.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:46 AM

5/25/18: "The current car's Nissan D platform will likely be supplanted by the Alliance CMF-C/D architecture when the next generation Maxima is released for the 2023 model year. Insiders claim a four-cylinder engine could replace the V6 and there will almost certainly be a hybrid or PHEV option."

https://www.just-auto.com/analysis/a..._id182617.aspx
Old 06-24-2018, 11:09 PM

Great catch, sschumer. Much food for thought there. I suspect there will be a large contingent of Maxima drivers that love the naturally aspirated V6 which has been a staple of the Maxima for over thirty years. The four cylinder would need to be turbocharged, and some Maxima fans are not fans of turbos. I tend to try to keep an open mind about these things, so will wait and see. I think the 2023 model year is probably a very good bet for the release date of the 9th gen Maxima.

Thanks for bringing this article to us. I am not the only one here that is very interested in the 9th gen Maxima. I will be very happy when Nissan confirms for certain that there will, in fact, actually BE a 9th gen Maxima. So many manufacturers are dropping their sedan lines.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Great catch, sschumer. Much food for thought there. I suspect there will be a large contingent of Maxima drivers that love the naturally aspirated V6 which has been a staple of the Maxima for over thirty years. The four cylinder would need to be turbocharged, and some Maxima fans are not fans of turbos. I tend to try to keep an open mind about these things, so will wait and see. I think the 2023 model year is probably a very good bet for the release date of the 9th gen Maxima.

Thanks for bringing this article to us. I am not the only one here that is very interested in the 9th gen Maxima. I will be very happy when Nissan confirms for certain that there will, in fact, actually BE a 9th gen Maxima. So many manufacturers are dropping their sedan lines.
As I mentioned in another thread with this latest info...I wouldn't count on a turbo I-4...but more likely the twin-turbo 3.0 V6 that Infiniti already has in the Q50 (the 300 hp version at least) would be a better bet in the next gen Maxima. However, that is just my theory if they were to go turbo.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by wtgkb8
As I mentioned in another thread with this latest info...I wouldn't count on a turbo I-4...but more likely the twin-turbo 3.0 V6 that Infiniti already has in the Q50 (the 300 hp version at least) would be a better bet in the next gen Maxima. However, that is just my theory if they were to go turbo.

I feel that would be more acceptable to Maxima fans than a four cylinder with turbo. And 300 HP should be the minimum for the 9th gen. Slightly higher HP would be better. If the 9th gen is going to have radical changes, especially in the power train, then design, building of prototypes and road testing would need to begin no later than late next year. Once work begins on prototypes, as good as Nissan is in keeping new developments secret, word will be leaking out and we will begin to have an idea what the 9th gen Maxima will be.

I always feel great excitement with the release of every new generation Maxima. I guess part of that excitement is because I know well ahead of release time that I will be buying that new generation Maxima soon after it is released. Always have. Always will.

I say always. But time does pass. I will be around age 90 when this 9th gen is released. So I do not know whether I will be around for the 10th generation. Life is not forever.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 06-29-2018 at 11:59 PM.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
I always feel great excitement with the release of every new generation Maxima. I guess part of that excitement is because I know well ahead of release time that I will be buying that new generation Maxima soon after it is released. Always have. Always will.
Heya Light,

Would you still buy it if it looked like this?

Old 07-01-2018, 06:51 AM

Q: (Via Twitter@NathanAdlen) Quick question about the next Nissan Maxima: Do you think it will be electric? I think it would be a good idea. Cheers!

A: Howdy! That’s a good point, an all electric sedan is definitely in the wings at Nissan. They already indicated that they want to remain the leader in electric car sales and, with other large automakers gearing up for electrification, it seems logical. The question is: will the next Nissan Maxima be all-electric? There are pros and cons to the idea, mainly based on the vehicle’s name. Will Nissan stick with a gas engine on the next Nissan Maxima? Perhaps a plug-in hybrid? Can the next Nissan Maxima bring back the sporting mojo lost? We know that a heavily revised Nissan Maxima is coming to either the 2018 L.A. Auto Show or the 2019 NAIAS. Nissan USA has made it no secret that, with nearly every recent concept vehicle they debut, they want to dominate electric car production, but they haven’t indicated how. Perhaps they will go bold and make the next Nissan Maxima electric? That could be awesome. What do you think?

https://www.tflcar.com/2018/07/next-...ma-ask-nathan/
Old 07-03-2018, 12:58 AM

Heya Light,

Would you still buy it if it looked like this?

I might buy that car as a means to ride around my property, but that would not be a vehicle I would drive on a public highway. Fortunately, Datsun/Nissan has always come up with new Maxima generation styling that truly appealed to me.
Old 07-03-2018, 01:28 AM

I have not given serious consideration to the possibility of an electric 9th gen Maxima. There has definitely been a move toward electric by some manufacturers. And Nissan has upgraded their iconic Leaf, and it now looks better and goes further on a charge.

If I was still working and commuting each day, I would definitely consider an electric vehicle. But I retired almost twenty-five years ago, and use my Maxima for vacation trips. I love driving in places such as eastern Montana, the Dakotas, western Texas, Arizona, etc, etc. So if I went electric, I would want a range of at least 500 miles, because I know of no recharging station in places such as Tombstone AZ, Escalante UT, Marathon TX or Four Buttes MT. So, unless the electric motors were backed up by some sort of gasoline engine, I would have no interest in an electric Maxima.

I used to think Nissan might eventually consider a modern Diesel engine for the Maxima, but I no longer see a diesel Maxima.

I do think Nissan nay consider an electric option for the Altima, as that is their 'everyman' vehicle, with hundreds of thousands sold yearly.

If I had to guess, I think the 9th gen Maxima will still have an internal combustion engine that runs on gasoline. But a hybrid is probably just as possible. Things change so quickly these days.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:21 AM

I couldn’t understand why Nissan USA does not offer the SR with moonroof when it is offered in other markets overseas..
Old 07-05-2018, 10:03 AM

I'll throw in my speculation, the 2019 Infinity QX50 has the VC Turbo motor. Variable Compression is where this brand is going, just like they did when adopting the CVT, they took a new approach testing the waters for a few years, then made it a staple component. Now everything they offer just about is CVT. So will we see the VC Turbo in the Nissan brand soon? Maybe be the Maxima will be first.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by MadMax07SL
I'll throw in my speculation, the 2019 Infinity QX50 has the VC Turbo motor. Variable Compression is where this brand is going, just like they did when adopting the CVT, they took a new approach testing the waters for a few years, then made it a staple component. Now everything they offer just about is CVT. So will we see the VC Turbo in the Nissan brand soon? Maybe be the Maxima will be first.
You will see it in a Nissan soon...Nissan itself has debuted the 2019 Altima with this VC Turbo engine as the option powerplant on top of the 2.5L base engine.

see https://www.nissanusa.com/cars/2019-altima/
Old 10-07-2018, 06:17 PM

I think we're all assuming there will be a 9th gen Maxima.
I'm betting there will not.
Ford is exiting all cars, minus the Mustang (the Fusion is still a ??? with import/export tariffs from China - especially on cars).
Old 10-07-2018, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by lindros2
I think we're all assuming there will be a 9th gen Maxima.
I'm betting there will not.
Ford is exiting all cars, minus the Mustang (the Fusion is still a ??? with import/export tariffs from China - especially on cars).
Nissan has made it no secret the 9th gen is certainly coming. Apparently we are in for a real treat. AWD you can bank on that. My only concern is them sticking a 4 banger turbo in it like the Altima. I would much rather have a V6 turbo IF they are so hell bent including a turbo in the next gen.
Old 10-08-2018, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild
Nissan has made it no secret the 9th gen is certainly coming. Apparently we are in for a real treat. AWD you can bank on that. My only concern is them sticking a 4 banger turbo in it like the Altima. I would much rather have a V6 turbo IF they are so hell bent including a turbo in the next gen.
sorry - who exactly do you know in NNA product planning?
how much budget has been assigned vs Rogue? And the global Qashqai?
Old 10-08-2018, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by lindros2

sorry - who exactly do you know in NNA product planning?
how much budget has been assigned vs Rogue? And the global Qashqai?

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/n...ork-auto-show/

Full-size sedans don't command nearly the same sales volumes as compact or midsize four-doors, but Bunce says the Maxima "has a very important role" in Nissan's lineup. A vastly improved Altima only "raises the bar even further for Maxima.""We're working on the next-generation Maxima to even be something greater than people ever thought or imagined a Maxima could be," Bunce said. "That's what Maxima buyers expect from us. They expect us to really push the envelope."

Last edited by FattiesGoneWild; 10-08-2018 at 02:04 PM.
Old 10-08-2018, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/n...ork-auto-show/

Full-size sedans don't command nearly the same sales volumes as compact or midsize four-doors, but Bunce says the Maxima "has a very important role" in Nissan's lineup. A vastly improved Altima only "raises the bar even further for Maxima.""We're working on the next-generation Maxima to even be something greater than people ever thought or imagined a Maxima could be," Bunce said. "That's what Maxima buyers expect from us. They expect us to really push the envelope."
something we don't expect.. Hmmn could it be Electric or a high powered hybrid?
I would sure go for that, if it were closer to a Tesla than a Prius.

Old 10-09-2018, 02:40 PM

Great info, just knowing there WILL be a ninth generation Maxima! I already have my money set aside (a tad more than was needed for the 8th gen), and will be very excited as we find out more details, and release time approaches. I will need to set up a trip to Smyrna TN to visit the assembly plant just after production starts, but before any 9th gens are sent to dealers. I have been doing this since the 1980s, and, for me, is the equivalent of an Arab heading to Mecca at holy time.

In addition to finding out what changes will be made to the Maxima with the 9th gen, we also await word on estimated and actual release dates, etc. I am sticking with my ongoing expectation of the 9th gen being released in 2022 as the 2023 Maxima. Considering the major changes Mr. Bunch is suggesting, plus the fact the redesigned Sentra comes first, there may be some delays in getting everything redesigned, built, tested and in full production.

My word for Mr. Bunch? BRING IT ON!
Old 10-10-2018, 05:13 AM

That is some promising news. My only hope is that it edges closer to sport, perhaps on the level of the red sport q50 with an awd. Although I know it will never happen, I do miss a manual
Old 10-10-2018, 09:52 AM

Despite the 4DSC sticker and mantra, the Maxima is not a true sports car. To be more honest, Nissan pushes the Maxima as a sporty family sedan, and the reality is that many families have at least one driver who has zero interest in a manual tranny. With the CVT having proven itself as the most efficient tranny, as well as the lightest and most economical tranny to build, it is probably going to be in most cars from now on. With energy efficiency requirements growing ever tighter, I can't argue with Nissan on this.

I had lots of fun driving manuals way back in the days, but, by the time I left manuals in 1984, the thrill was long gone, as the hundreds of shifts every morning and every afternoon were beginning to do damage to my knees, as well as prove useless in gridlock rush hour traffic in which 5MPH was not often attainable.

I'm glad there are still a few cars offering a manual option (my daughter will buy nothing but a manual), but Nissan knows from very expensive experience (1998 to 2006) that less than 5% of Maxima customers have any interest whatsoever in a manual, and, as a result, dealers will not accept them from Nissan.

A hidden benefit of having no manual option is that dealers will have more spaces available on their lot for variations in models and colors for the latest Maxima generation, meaning fewer folks will have to order from the factory or have a car moved from elsewhere in the country to get exactly what they want.

Everything is a tradeoff, and company choices are made with an eye on the bottom line. For better or worse, we will never see another manual Maxima.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:21 PM
Administrator

Thread cleaned up and uneccessary posts deleted. Keep it civil guys. This is about the upcoming 9th generation Maxima, not the 2019 refreshed Maxima....
Old 10-26-2018, 03:08 PM

For folks who really do care about the 9th gen, it will become very different from what we see today.
Nissan might try to bridge the gap with an electric/hybrid 4DSC (i.e. Jaguar).
We'll see - especially in light of Infiniti.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:06 PM

I really hope they redesign for the 9th Gen.. I do not like the 8th Gen at all.. Big bulky body lines and the rear end is too narrow. Plus at a quick glance.. it looks like a Altima... Would look to see Awd or Rwd on the 9TH Gen. I love my 7th Gen.. Looks great from every angle and does not look like the Altima..lol...
Old 11-17-2018, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Nmax5150
I really hope they redesign for the 9th Gen.. I do not like the 8th Gen at all.. Big bulky body lines and the rear end is too narrow. Plus at a quick glance.. it looks like a Altima... Would look to see Awd or Rwd on the 9TH Gen. I love my 7th Gen.. Looks great from every angle and does not look like the Altima..lol...
I disagree. The new Altima is indeed look like 8th Gen Maxima but not the previous one. I do how ever agree with narrow rear end but 7th and 8th share a lot more shape and body design than anything else.
Old 11-17-2018, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by NisCal17

I disagree. The new Altima is indeed look like 8th Gen Maxima but not the previous one. I do how ever agree with narrow rear end but 7th and 8th share a lot more shape and body design than anything else.
True on that point.. I do however like the front of the 8th gen, but that is about it... But to be honest, If I could find a steal on a 8th Gen Sr Midnight.. I would learn to love the rear end..lol
Old 11-17-2018, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Nmax5150
True on that point.. I do however like the front of the 8th gen, but that is about it... But to be honest, If I could find a steal on a 8th Gen Sr Midnight.. I would learn to love the rear end..lol
To be fair it I think that narrow rear is just an optical illusion caused by this narrow but fat looking chrome mounding. If it was thin and they would have spread rear tail lights it wouldn’t feel or look like narrow rear end. At least by just looking at it. Because if you look at the concept it doesn’t really look that narrow and I’m pretty sure the width of the rear end is exact the width of the current product model.

Last edited by NisCal17; 11-17-2018 at 04:48 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 9th Generation Rumblings