8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Maxima vs Accord 2.0t?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 07:41 PM

Maxima vs Accord 2.0t?

The new accord is giving all kinds of hell performance wise. 0-60 5.5 seconds faster then the current Maxima. I was curious how the Maxima would hold its ground against one. The 2.0t Accord destroys the new Camry V6 off the line. I think when it comes to top end. The Maxima would probably start to pull away I could be wrong!
Old 05-18-2018, 09:51 PM

Having owned nothing but Maximas since October, 1984, and having never red-lined a single one of them, I will say my Maximas have always had more power than I ever needed, more styling than I ever deserved, and more reliability than any vehicle I ever drove between 1945 and 1984, so I will be sticking with my Maximas.

If elapsed time interested me, I might look at a Charger or Challenger.

Having said all that, my son, who is into cars, loves his 2017 Accord Touring. The 2.0T might edge the Maxima, even at top end.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 05-18-2018 at 09:53 PM.
Old 05-19-2018, 05:45 AM

It would be extremely close in a 1/4 mile drag race, I think. The new Accord 2.0T is intriguing though because the 2.0T can easily be tuned to make more power and of course is available with the 6 speed manual.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:03 AM

Before getting my Maxima, I was looking at various Accord V6’s. I think I’d still want the Accord V6 over the new turbo. 0.5 second diffs in 0-60 times don’t mean much to me as I rarely push to get those numbers in real world driving and I don’t race ppl at the line.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild
The new accord is giving all kinds of hell performance wise. 0-60 5.5 seconds faster then the current Maxima. I was curious how the Maxima would hold its ground against one. The 2.0t Accord destroys the new Camry V6 off the line. I think when it comes to top end. The Maxima would probably start to pull away I could be wrong!
One fifth of one second (compared to Maximas 5.7 second takeoff) is hardly a big enough performance difference to notice. The Maxima looks a heck of a lot better, inside and out in my humble opinion. It's got plenty of pep to get me where I'm going without ever feeling like it's struggling.

Chasing after raw performance is kind of a waste of time, whatever you get... there will always be someone that's got one better, unless you get a Dodge Demon of course.
Old 05-19-2018, 03:14 PM

Will be a wash, basically whom ever gets off the line 1st will win. 14.2@ 102mph per Car and Driver for the Max and 14.1@ 102 for the 2.0T Accord auto. If you go from a 50mph-70mph roll the Max has an advantage of .05 sec, 3.9 sec versus 4.4

https://www.caranddriver.com/nissan/maxima

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-driver-page-4
Old 05-19-2018, 03:44 PM
MWM

The Accord Sport 2.0T is the car I was looking at vs my Max. I couldn't believe how much I loved driving that Accord. It's lack of a CVT made me hesitate only momentarily before choosing the Maxima. Of course, I got a new 2017 platinum for just a couple grand more than I would have paid for the Accord, so that made it easier.

But the new Accord is no joke.
Old 05-19-2018, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
Will be a wash, basically whom ever gets off the line 1st will win. 14.2@ 102mph per Car and Driver for the Max and 14.1@ 102 for the 2.0T Accord auto. If you go from a 50mph-70mph roll the Max has an advantage of .05 sec, 3.9 sec versus 4.4

https://www.caranddriver.com/nissan/maxima

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-driver-page-4
The 50-70 is where the NA engine has the advantage over the turbo engine. The 0.5 seconds is probably about the amount of time it takes for the turbo to spool up in the Accord. How quickly the transmission kicks down also influences this time, and the CVT is generally pretty responsive in highway passing situations. I haven't driven a new Accord for comparison, although in general I've found Honda automatics pretty responsive.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:34 PM

I don’t know... i always get compliments and everyone wants to race it.... I don’t think you will get either of these on those 2 mentioned.

Old 05-19-2018, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by MWM
The Accord Sport 2.0T is the car I was looking at vs my Max. I couldn't believe how much I loved driving that Accord. It's lack of a CVT made me hesitate only momentarily before choosing the Maxima. Of course, I got a new 2017 platinum for just a couple grand more than I would have paid for the Accord, so that made it easier.

I have not test drove the new Accord 2.0t. We have had many Accord's in the past and thinking it MIGHT be our next car. Glad to read you gave both a run. May I ask what made you go for the Maxima over the Accord 2.0t? Very curious to hear what you have to say! Very curious power wise how they felt between each other? And most of all cabin space. Did the Accord have that much more room?
Old 05-19-2018, 09:53 PM
Jax

I think these new Honda accords are but ugly the body styling and grill are just hideous.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by Jax
I think these new Honda accords are but ugly the body styling and grill are just hideous.

I think they look good. Look like a MB to me. That being said, I would prefer the VQ over a Little turbo
Old 05-20-2018, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Jax
I agree
Has me wondering although how good the new 19 Altima with it's new turbo 4 is gonna be versus the 2.0T Accord.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:53 AM

If this is "how do they drag race," then go test them. At a track.
The decision for a Maxima was simple for me and thousands of others - Honda doesn't want to sell them. They killed the fleet program, and leases are asininely expensive.

I doubt someone asking about 0-60 times has a WSJ subscription, but if you do...
https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-car...ant-1524833270
Old 05-21-2018, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jax
Not sure I describe them as hideous, maybe a bit generic though. I'm already seeing too many of them on the road and they starting to blend together

I'm not a fan of the "pinwheel" wheels though.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by lindros2
If this is "how do they drag race," then go test them. At a track.
The decision for a Maxima was simple for me and thousands of others - Honda doesn't want to sell them. They killed the fleet program, and leases are asininely expensive.

I doubt someone asking about 0-60 times has a WSJ subscription, but if you do...
https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-car...ant-1524833270
Old guys like myself prefer displacement over a little turbo....I have had 2 Altimas only because of the VQ. I doubt I will own another w/o the 3.5
Old 05-25-2018, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild
If you go by C&D, the Maxima has as good or better passing performance than any family sedan without a luxury badge. Yet if you go by Consumer Reports, the Maxima has only an average performance, both 0-60 and passing, for a V6 sedan. (CR has weird discrepancies where some cars are much slower than in other publications. I've always wondered why.)
Old 05-25-2018, 03:39 PM

Because people, weather conditions, altitude, time of year, temperature and a few other variables that are introduced by different publications doing the same testing are not exactly the same, results will be different.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:51 PM

But for some cars the 0-60 times differ by as much as 1.5 seconds.

For example, BMW 330i: C&D 5.4 s, CR 6.9 s.
Audi A4: C&D 5.2 s, CR 6.3 s.
Kia Stinger 2.0: C&D 6.1 s, CR 7.5 s (the same as the NA 4-cyl Mazda 6!)

I think differences that large deserve an explanation. It's also odd that a particular car (the Maxima) excels at passing according to C&D, but is average or slightly below average according to CR.

Last edited by slava; 05-25-2018 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:15 PM
Jax

Honestly 0-60 numbers or drag racing are not my thing. Here's one of the reasons why I bought my maxima SR
​​​​​​https://www.google.com/amp/www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2015/05/2016-nissan-maxima-sr-bests-bmw-audi-on-the-track.html/amp
I really enjoy my car on the back roads with lots of curves.I would smoke that turbo accord.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:17 PM

As I get older I could give a rats _____ about 0-60. I need some serious get - up when cruising on the highway at about 60 - 70 miles an hour when I need to pass someone. I am sure most of us on the org. did not purchase the Maxima for 0-60. If that was my main concern I may have purchased a 2018 Mustang GT which is a piece of crap. The Maxima has the total package: styling, refinement, comfort, with a good dose of sport thrown in. I personally find Honda's (as well as Toyota's) to be just a little to Vanilla, while the Maxima is definitely chocolate.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by 240tomax
As I get older I could give a rats _____ about 0-60. I need some serious get - up when cruising on the highway at about 60 - 70 miles an hour when I need to pass someone. I am sure most of us on the org. did not purchase the Maxima for 0-60. If that was my main concern I may have purchased a 2018 Mustang GT which is a piece of crap. The Maxima has the total package: styling, refinement, comfort, with a good dose of sport thrown in. I personally find Honda's (as well as Toyota's) to be just a little to Vanilla, while the Maxima is definitely chocolate.

My feelings exactly.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by 240tomax
. The Maxima has the total package: styling, refinement, comfort, with a good dose of sport thrown in. I personally find Honda's (as well as Toyota's) to be just a little to Vanilla, while the Maxima is definitely chocolate.
Haha, very well put! Styling was a big part of it for me too. The Honda is just way too generic looking, as well as the Avalon; the new Camry just looks weird. I was mildly interested in Genesis but even those are starting to look generic to me now. There's not much love shown to sedans these days by auto manufacturers... Ford is discontinuing their whole lineup except for SUVs and trucks. Glad I got a good looking sedan before it is too late.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:46 PM

i'm not a fan of the newest gen accords....weird shape to me....the top of the line camry is far more attractive....but you know everybody and their grandmother will be driving them in a couple years....the maixma was a very easy choice for me
Old 05-26-2018, 06:59 PM

Ugly.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:38 PM

I have been a subscriber and careful reader of Consumer Reports since April 1961. Beginning with the release of the 1st generation Maxima, CR has often had difficulty deciding which category of vehicle in which to put the Maxima. They also run official testing of the Maxima at very irregular intervals, probably because it is not a huge volume seller.

I have also noticed that the CR auto testing staff has taken to the CVT very slowly. They sort of accept a CVT in small or econocars, but seem disappointed by CVTs in sporty cars. In a way, that is a little surprising, because economical operation is something that CR likes, and the CVT is the most efficient tranny available.

I still read everything CR says about vehicles, but do my own testing of Maximas as each new generation arrives. Recent generations of Maximas have been extremely responsive when accelerating from say 40 MPH to 80 MPH. For me, that performance is something I often need to do on two lane blacktops, and is vastly more important for me than say zero to 60, which I honestly don't recall ever needing to do.

But every driver needs/expects slightly different things.
Old 06-09-2018, 01:05 PM

The Accord wheels really are scary too
Old 06-10-2018, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by robtroxel
The Accord wheels really are scary too

Not a fan of the sport/touring model wheels. BUT, the optional black wheels look hot!
Old 06-18-2018, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by dmc79
The 50-70 is where the NA engine has the advantage over the turbo engine. The 0.5 seconds is probably about the amount of time it takes for the turbo to spool up in the Accord. How quickly the transmission kicks down also influences this time, and the CVT is generally pretty responsive in highway passing situations. I haven't driven a new Accord for comparison, although in general I've found Honda automatics pretty responsive.

^^

For a vehicle like an Accord or a Maxima 0 to 60 is such a useless measurement. Two lane highway passing in a pinch is whats the Max is all about. Fantastic pull from 50 mph.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:32 PM

Passing times are "where it's at" (30-50 & 50-70)...and the Maxima has it in spades. That's what you really use and feel on a daily basis.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:01 AM

The New Accord looks like a comma that's been laid horizontally to me. Not impressed at all, but I'd still take it over the Camry. Never over the Maxima though.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:27 PM

drakutis, 100% agree with you.
Old 07-21-2018, 02:11 PM

IMO Accord is just better now. You want some of the reasons? Handling, ride, interior space and trunk storage, latest features (e.g. even the Platinum doesn't have a HUD, full LEDs, or heated rear seats). As for straight line performance, we can say it's a tie. The Accord wins from a stop, the Max seems to be better at rolling starts (discounting Consumer Reports, where it's oddly slow in every test).

Styling is subjective. I happen to really like how the Maxima looks (obviously, since I've bought one), but there's no shortage of online comments calling it bloated, butt ugly, a mess, etc. I used to think the new Accord is pretty ugly, but it's grown on me after I've seen it in person enough times.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:12 AM

I had a 2018 accord touring 2.0 for six months and 10k miles. IMOP it was a gorgeous car, however, it's 36k msrp doesn't give you the build quality of the 8th generation maxima. The new accord is stressful to drive, it's like driving a car with 40 mph crosswind. This is due to their new turning ratio specs and variable assist electronic steering. The new electric brake booster in the accords is also ridiculous. The pedal has two zones, normal, then, your head through the front window. The hud display was neat but there is recall looming due to a mind numbing creeking sound. The A10 is sick but alway hunting on the downshift and always, always shifting. I dumped the young accord for a 2017 max platinum with 4k miles and haven't looked back. The maxima is superior IMOP. I had a 6th gen for 6 years. So glad to be back. I hope nissan never drops the maxima. Best car I've ever had.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by natro33
I had a 2018 accord touring 2.0 for six months and 10k miles. IMOP it was a gorgeous car, however, it's 36k msrp doesn't give you the build quality of the 8th generation maxima. The new accord is stressful to drive, it's like driving a car with 40 mph crosswind. This is due to their new turning ratio specs and variable assist electronic steering. The new electric brake booster in the accords is also ridiculous. The pedal has two zones, normal, then, your head through the front window. The hud display was neat but there is recall looming due to a mind numbing creeking sound. The A10 is sick but alway hunting on the downshift and always, always shifting. I dumped the young accord for a 2017 max platinum with 4k miles and haven't looked back. The maxima is superior IMOP. I had a 6th gen for 6 years. So glad to be back. I hope nissan never drops the maxima. Best car I've ever had.
Thank you for your perspective! It is rare to have someone who has actually driven and owned both cars for a considerable amount of time. Those deficiencies of the Accord, one would never know about just from reading car magazine reviews.
Old 07-22-2018, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by slava
Thank you for your perspective! It is rare to have someone who has actually driven and owned both cars for a considerable amount of time. Those deficiencies of the Accord, one would never know about just from reading car magazine reviews.
no problem at all. I think if Honda would have done a CVT on the 2.0 then i may have kept it, maybe, but doubt it, the steering experience was really bad. The Maxima is a drivers car, again, IMOP. The drivers seat is much more comfortable than the Honda. The cockpit of the Maxima hugs you and just feels better all around. The powertrain experience is amazing and amazingly smooth. I really can't understand why people dog the CVT in the MAX. It's hands down the best powertrain combo paired up with the VQ. I used to buy into the Honda HYPE, but, I've had three Honda's in the past five years, and, really, I'm done with them. My wife drove the maxima the other day and loved it so much that she's talking about a murano or pathfinder in the future.
Old 07-22-2018, 04:14 PM

I used to buy into the Honda HYPE, but, I've had three Honda's in the past five years, and, really, I'm done with them. My wife drove the maxima the other day and loved it so much that she's talking about a murano or pathfinder in the future.
Agree - dumped Acura after two bad transmissions.

Not semi-bad. Like fall apart bad (9-speed) and terrible jerkiness (8-speed DSG, which lost a gear, so it was more like a 7-speed...).
Old 07-23-2018, 10:16 AM

no problem at all. I think if Honda would have done a CVT on the 2.0 then i may have kept it, maybe, but doubt it, the steering experience was really bad. The Maxima is a drivers car, again, IMOP. The drivers seat is much more comfortable than the Honda. The cockpit of the Maxima hugs you and just feels better all around. The powertrain experience is amazing and amazingly smooth. I really can't understand why people dog the CVT in the MAX. It's hands down the best powertrain combo paired up with the VQ. I used to buy into the Honda HYPE, but, I've had three Honda's in the past five years, and, really, I'm done with them. My wife drove the maxima the other day and loved it so much that she's talking about a murano or pathfinder in the future.

I agree with everything you said. I especially like the "Hugs you" part! I like getting hugged by my car! lol!
Old 07-23-2018, 08:38 PM

I did finally test the Touring 2.0t a few weeks ago. I did like how it had much more room on the inside and that is where it stopped for me. I did not like how the tranny was constantly hunting gears and I did experience jerkiness from the tranny on the test run. The ride was quiet and smooth but you could just tell its a 4 banger even with a turbo. Also as you said the build quality is better in the Maxima. It felt cheap inside with the Accord. Needless to say the Maxima is still here with us.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by MWM

Never asked and I was curious. What made you go with the Maxima over the Accord?

Quick Reply: Maxima vs Accord 2.0t?