8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Quality Product....or not?

Old 06-11-2018, 07:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Quality Product....or not?

I have a 17 Maxima SR that I've had for about a year and a half. I bought it brand new and I have about 22K miles on it now. I'm in my 40's and have had lots of cars over the years, but this is my first Nissan. Since it's my first Nissan, I wasn't sure what to expect as far as quality. For every bad review I read before purchasing, I read a good one too. Now, after a year and a half, I'm seriously starting to question the quality.

After I bought the car I noticed that the steering wheel wasn't quite straight and it tilted to the left just a tad. Not a big deal since the alignment of the car itself was fine. I took it to the dealer and they said there was nothing really they could do because it wasn't causing any issues. It was eventually something that I didn't even notice anymore. I also have the issue that I've posted here before about how the radio volume level decreases with the sonar beeping but then doesn't always return to the same level when the beeping stop. It's annoying but not a huge deal.

Two months after I bought the car, the light on the bottom of the passenger door fell out. Literally fell out and was just hanging by the wiring. I took it in and they fixed under warranty of course. A year goes by and all is good but then the exact same light falls out again. Again, not a huge thing but it really started my concern on quality.

And now, this past weekend, I noticed that my front bumper is coming loose on the passenger side right by the headlight. I did not hit anything, it's just popping out. I can push on it and it will pop back in but as soon as I start driving at any high speed it pops right back out. I can actually hear it rattling when I drive. I have an appt tomorrow for it to be looked at.

So, I guess long story short, most of these issues have been cosmetic really and fairly small. This issue with the bumper is really bothering me though. Is this what kind of quality I should expect from a Nissan? I used to watch the show Car Matchmaker and there was one episode where a guy mentioned his father inlaw was a mechanic and told him that Nissan's are "throw away cars" because they are made so cheap. I had already bought my Maxima when I saw the episode so I just sat there thinking well, that figures. Again, I know these aren't huge issues and I could see these things on a car that I've had for a few years, but it's not even a year and a half old yet.

Last edited by rb43td; 06-15-2018 at 12:46 PM.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:10 AM

According to Consumer Reports, Paint/Trim and Body Integrity are rated much above average, and Body Hardware is above average for the '17

Sorry you are having some minor issues. The only issue of note that I have had with my '16 Platinum is needing some refrigerant added a year ago, and I am approaching 47K miles.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:20 AM

Made in America.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:51 AM

Same issues here

I have the same issues. '17 purchased in Feb 2017, 26k miles.

I replaced the door lights with logo projectors from Amazon. From time to time they fall off, I suspect because we kick them involuntarily when we get in and out of the car. No biggie, just push it back in.

My bumper also detaches from the fender. In fact, my car is at the dealer right now, being fixed for this issue, as well as the falling black trim on the C pillar. Take a look at this thread.

https://maxima.org/forums/8th-genera...gap-issue.html

Yeah, for a $40k+ car, you'd expect more quality materials and better/sturdier assembly. But then there's the performance of the car, and I guess that's what we're really paying for. Overall, I'm happy. It's also important to find yourself a good service rep who will take all these little issues in and fix them without much hassle.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:25 AM

Price is not a predictor of a lack of nuisance problems.

Just peruse the following:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...al-discussion/
Old 06-11-2018, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by rb43td
I have a 17 Maxima SR that I've had for about a year and a half. I bought it brand new and I have about 22K miles on it now. I'm in my 40's and have had lots of cars over the years, but this is my first Nissan. Since it's my first Nissan, I wasn't sure what to expect as far as quality. For every bad review I read before purchasing, I read a good one too. Now, after a year and a half, I'm seriously starting to question the quality.

After I bought the car I noticed that the steering wheel wasn't quite straight and it tilted to the left just a tad. Not a big deal since the alignment of the car itself was fine. I took it to the dealer and they said there was nothing really they could do because it wasn't causing any issues. It was eventually something that I didn't even notice anymore. I also have the issue that I've posted here before about how the radio volume level decreases with the sonar beeping but then doesn't always return to the same level when the beeping stop. It's annoying but not a huge deal.

Two months after I bought the car, the light on the bottom of the passenger door fell out. Literally fell out and was just hanging by the wiring. I took it in and they fixed under warranty of course. A year goes by and all is good but then the exact same light falls out again. Again, not a huge thing but it really started my concern on quality.

And now, this past weekend, I noticed that my front bumper is coming loose on the passenger side right by the headlight. I did not hit anything, it's just popping out. I can push on it and it will pop back in but as soon as I start driving at any high speed it pops right back out. I can actually hear it rattling when I drive. I have an appt tomorrow for it to be looked at.

So, I guess long story short, most of these issues have been cosmetic really and fairly small. This issue with the bumper is really bothering me though. Is this what kind of quality I should expect from a Nissan? I used to watch the show Car Matchmaker and there was one episode where a guy mentioned his father inlaw was a mechanic and told him that Nissan's are "throw away cars" because they are made so cheap. I had already bought my Maxima when I saw the episode so I just sat there thinking well, that figures. Again, I know these aren't huge issues and I could see these things on a car that I've had for a few years, but it's not even a year and a half old yet.

Platinum bought brand new with only 8k+ miles on it so far and just made a year last month. Steering wheel replaced for creaking, NAV unit replaced from a faulty map update and latest problem. Like you I am having the same issue with the passenger side front bumper. Dealer wont work on it as they are not a body shop. BUT, they did say they would warranty the work to their own body shop. I just have not had time to get to it. Recently had the driver side weatherstripping replaced under warranty as well since it tore and split in half. Other minor issues are rattles some times. Oh and also got minor crack in the windshield but was able to save it and got it fixed. I had none of these minor issues with our last car 2015 Chevrolet Impala 2LTZ. BTW, OP. How bad is the gap you had? Here is mine is another thread https://maxima.org/forums/8th-genera...nt-bumper.html

Also long story short. My local dealer had made a MAJOR unnecessary repair replacing the steering wheel clock spring. Saying that was the issue of the creaking noise. Pissed and knowing very differently. I took it to another Nissan dealer 25 miles out and they replaced the steering wheel knowing that was the real issue. I turned my local dealer into Nissan corporate for making a major repair like that on a brand new car that did not fix the issue. Also bringing it back to them telling me they could not hear the creaking. Scumbags did not want to deal with it and come to find out. If a customer comes back with the same issue again. The dealer does not get paid by Nissan for warranty work since they miss diagnosed it and the dealer would have to eat the cost. So, that is why they chose not to hear it.

Nonetheless. We do not go to our local dealer any more and make the 25 mile trek one way to the other dealer.

Last edited by FattiesGoneWild; 06-11-2018 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-11-2018, 03:01 PM

Well I'm the least qualified to answer this question, having only been a Nissan owner for 6 months now. But I've hung out on this forum long enough that I would answer as follows...

Overall, I think it IS a quality car as far as "big stuff" is concerned. But There is no shortage of little annoyances, including a couple that I've experienced myself. The biggest complaints I had were creaks and rattles, but these all solved themselves when the weather warmed up. Thankfully I live in a warm state I'm mildly optimistic this will be a solid car for many years to come.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:42 PM

My 2016 Platinum came off the assembly line August 20, 2015, and I drove it home Sept 18, 2015. A small part in the double panel roof broke after one year, and Nissan replaced the entire double roof under warranty. No further problems of any kind. Not even a rattle or creak. So the build quality in my 8th gen Maxima has been excellent. I am sorry some here have had problems. I hope my Maxima continues to be solid, because my warranty expires this coming September 18th.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:47 AM

My biggest complaint is rattling. For the first 6 month it was fairly ok.. a few noises from time to time. But now it’s kinda getting annoying. My instrument cluster, dash speakers, main head unit( cd slot.. I think so) and door panels going nuts. I’ve had it less than a year and I did put 25K miles on it. 😬

ohh yeah and I forgot to mention about brake shims pops.(This is pretty common with Nissans)

Last edited by NisCal17; 06-12-2018 at 12:51 AM.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild
Platinum bought brand new with only 8k+ miles on it so far and just made a year last month. Steering wheel replaced for creaking.....
What is the creaking noise? I noticed dome weird vibration and kind of buzzing in the steering the other day. I thought it might be due to the rough freeway concrete or something. I have 14,000 miles on it now and this just started happening.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:23 AM

In answer to your question, I think my '17 Max SL is a finely engineered, designed, and well put-together car; this includes the engine and drivetrain. Matter of fact I think it is the finest, least trouble-prone car I have ever owned. It meets my families' needs perfectly. Reasonably inexpensive to operate too. Love the fact I can run reg-grade gas with no ill effects and still have an engine that can get down when I need it to.

I will buy another one if the model continues, and never look back.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:28 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by compyelc4
In answer to your question, I think my '17 Max SL is a finely engineered, designed, and well put-together car; this includes the engine and drivetrain. Matter of fact I think it is the finest, least trouble-prone car I have ever owned. It meets my families' needs perfectly. Reasonably inexpensive to operate too. Love the fact I can run reg-grade gas with no ill effects and still have an engine that can get down when I need it to.

i'm with him.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by compyelc4

I also have a 2017 for 8 months, no major issues, the only one was the loose black plastics on the rear panel joint with the roof, so far very happy with the car
Old 06-12-2018, 03:50 PM

Funny - same age group, I have a platinum, and have similar quality issues.

So yeah if you go German, it’s nicer when newer, then powertrain and other stuff goes to hell.

On a Nissan, the quality of parts and fitment isn’t as good. My steering wheel nearly caused a huge accident yesterday. That’s bad.

You get what you pay for.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by guvadc
What is the creaking noise? I noticed dome weird vibration and kind of buzzing in the steering the other day. I thought it might be due to the rough freeway concrete or something. I have 14,000 miles on it now and this just started happening.

Hey Guvadc ,

Are you 100% sure it is the steering wheel?

The reason I ask is because occasionally i get a strange buzz coming from the dashboard, but my ears were playing tricks on me. Quite by accident I discovered that it was the rear view mirror (of all things). As soon as I put my hand on it stops, and a slight adjustment in position will make it go away.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:41 PM

I guess I am just lucky. I am on my 11th Maxima over the past 30 years and the only issues that I have had were a rocking driver's seat ('10 model I believe) and some clutch and brake issues in the earlier models ( early 90's...and probably due in part to my driving habits in my younger years).
Old 06-15-2018, 12:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

*Update* - so I took the car in Monday night and dropped it off so it could be worked on starting Tuesday morning. I told them all about it and how you can just push the bumper back in and it would stay but as soon as you get up to speed it pops out. I got a call Tuesday morning that I was all good to go. I asked them what happened and what they did to fix it and I was told it was a clip and it just broke so they replaced it. Ok. All good. I went to pick it up Tuesday after work. Looked good and I was happy. Drove it 10 miles home with 75 mph interstate driving. Got out and decided to give it another look....it was popped back out. This told me either they didn't do anything to it at all except push it back in or they did replace the clip but didn't bother to drive it to see if it solved the problem. I took it back Wednesday morning and made it clear I wasn't happy. I got a call later saying oh, yeah, well there is a bracket and it was broken too and they had to order the part. They got it fixed Thursday and so far so good.

Again, I'll take these kind of issues over mechanical/engine type stuff any day. But, this kind of experience with the quality and dealership kind of leaves a sour taste in my mouth for the brand.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:41 AM

They put some black goop under my bumper and told me that should harden and keep the bumper in place. Of course it didn't, and it pops out again, and now my white car has a "nice" black eyeliner under the right headlight...
Old 06-26-2018, 09:04 PM

J.D. Power: "The Maxima is the highest quality Large Car in this year’s study, scoring higher than the Ford Taurus, Chrysler 300, Chevrolet Impala, Dodge Charger, and Toyota Avalon. Like the Altima, Nissan Maxima also received highest marks in various categories: overall quality, overall quality – mechanical, powertrain quality – mechanical, body & interior quality – mechanical, overall quality – design, body & interior quality – design, and features & accessories quality – design."

https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...ment-2018.html
Old 06-27-2018, 03:54 AM

unfortunately,

comparing itself with the likes of the 300, Taurus, Charger (basically the same as 300 so same car) Impala and the Avalon (may be the lone exception) those aren't the cream of the crop in automobiles. Mostly big sedans in contrast. Which further attenuates the fact Maxima is in a class to itself.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:34 PM

Yep, the Maxima truly is in a class by itself. I made four more tough trips in my 2016 Platinum within the past few weeks, and just as it has through the last three years, had nary a hint of any problem whatsoever. I truly love this car's complete reliability.

I will be in the NC mountains most of July, and am confident ahead of time that my Maxima will perform perfectly, as usual. That confidence gives me great comfort.
Old 06-27-2018, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Todd Preisler
unfortunately,

comparing itself with the likes of the 300, Taurus, Charger (basically the same as 300 so same car) Impala and the Avalon (may be the lone exception) those aren't the cream of the crop in automobiles. Mostly big sedans in contrast. Which further attenuates the fact Maxima is in a class to itself.
A little off topic, but on my last trip we rented a Red Ford Taurus. I couldn't believe how absolutely huge it was, especially the trunk. But it was a totally soulless drive, zero fun whatsoever

We named it Robert Red-Ford

Old 06-27-2018, 07:51 PM

The quality is quite acceptable notwithstanding a right front wheel bearing at 30K miles.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by guvadc
Do you store any hard plastic stuff in your overhead sunglasses compartment? A couple of us have found this compartment to be a noise source, esp. on cold days.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Fishlet
A little off topic, but on my last trip we rented a Red Ford Taurus. I couldn't believe how absolutely huge it was, especially the trunk. But it was a totally soulless drive, zero fun whatsoever

We named it Robert Red-Ford

Hey, that's a clever name. Don't worry, Tauruses won't be on the market that much longer. They are going under just like our Robert "Plant"-Ford will be.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:54 AM

Thankfully I haven't had any quality issues like some. When I first got it, I used to keep my house keys in the door storage area, but the hard plastic made the keys rattle. I also found the same with the sunglasses compartment. Other than that, she's been lovely!