8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Blacking Out 2019 Maxima SR - Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2019, 07:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Blacking Out 2019 Maxima SR - Questions

Hello,

Recently purchased a 2019 Maxima SR (in black) and going to black it out (de-chrome plus headlights, tail lights, etc)

Few questions:

1. The front Nissan logo has a clear cover over it, preventing access to the logo itself to black it out. Is there a way to get at it or would I just have to tint the cover itself?

2. The lug nuts on the wheels are chrome colored, what do you all recommend for replacement lugs in black?

Thanks for any help!
Old 10-10-2019, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by grandgnu
1. The front Nissan logo has a clear cover over it, preventing access to the logo itself to black it out. Is there a way to get at it or would I just have to tint the cover itself?
Since the front-end camera is behind there (and I believe is part of Safety Shield 360) you'd be suicidal to do that.

2. The lug nuts on the wheels are chrome colored, what do you all recommend for replacement lugs in black?
Why?
Old 10-10-2019, 07:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by lindros2
Since the front-end camera is behind there (and I believe is part of Safety Shield 360) you'd be suicidal to do that.

Why?

Ideally I'd like to remove the cover to just black out the logo, but not sure how to get it off?

And the reason I want black lugs is because I'm blacking out the car for aesthetic reasons
Old 10-10-2019, 07:46 AM

Lugnuts can be had in black no problem. Look on amazon, just make sure you select a vehicle and it should help you validate that they will work. You'd be surprised how many types of lugnuts there different taper, some are flat washer, others are slim line needing a special key lock for all of em....but yeah black can be easily had.

As to the front logo, man you're asking for trouble. What I'd suggest you do first, price out a replacement one with the sensor. If it's reasonably priced, maybe pick up a second one and do the work on it, that way if you break it you've still got the original one that works. I bet that logo with the built in sensor is running you about $200-300 easy
Old 10-10-2019, 08:23 AM

As far as how to get the log out of the grill, may have to drop the front bumper/grill, and access it from behind. They make it hard to access so people don't steal logo's...
Old 10-13-2019, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by lindros2

Why?

why not?
Old 10-13-2019, 12:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Got it done, put up pics here

https://maxima.org/forums/8th-genera...ml#post9210847
Old 10-14-2019, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by grandgnu
In my opinion while you have gotten the monochrome blah look many think so cool, tinting the tailights reduces the light emitted and could earn you a rear end a kiss from someone not so attentive. What about the front camera? Also tinted and range reducing?
Good luck to you but no thanks on this look.
Old 10-15-2019, 06:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My suggestions

I too was looking to black out my SR, however the more I looked at the car (had it 5 weeks or so) the more I appreciated the chrome accents as others have said. But, I want it my own, so I’m going to use a tint film on the chrome accents in he trunk, front grill, and sides. The taillights look awesome as is and the headlights are beautiful. I had GTS blackouts in my 1996 Grand Prix GT in high school. With all the partying and crazy driving at night with poor headlight projection I’m surprised I’m alive. I will be leaving the headlights alone. I think having a a darker chrome will be sweet!!! I do want my windows tinted....at least the back, so my kids don’t complain. I’ve already added a 12” sub with a tasteful amount of power. Just enough to hear it but not enough to rattle the cars next to me. The exhaust sound could be a little more rumbly but I haven’t heard anything that sounds the way I want....then again it is a V6 so I’m not surprised by that.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by HouseOpayne
I too was looking to black out my SR, however the more I looked at the car (had it 5 weeks or so) the more I appreciated the chrome accents as others have said. But, I want it my own, so I’m going to use a tint film on the chrome accents in he trunk, front grill, and sides. The taillights look awesome as is and the headlights are beautiful. I had GTS blackouts in my 1996 Grand Prix GT in high school. With all the partying and crazy driving at night with poor headlight projection I’m surprised I’m alive. I will be leaving the headlights alone. I think having a a darker chrome will be sweet!!! I do want my windows tinted....at least the back, so my kids don’t complain. I’ve already added a 12” sub with a tasteful amount of power. Just enough to hear it but not enough to rattle the cars next to me. The exhaust sound could be a little more rumbly but I haven’t heard anything that sounds the way I want....then again it is a V6 so I’m not surprised by that.
I like the way you proceeded. Not extreme and All reversable if you change your mind. Good luck