8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Rattling noise coming from sides

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 05:30 PM

Rattling noise coming from sides

I had a horrible rattling noise coming from the area of the B pillar on the passenger side. After taking off all the covers and door trim I unfortunately found nothing and it was quite frustrating.

After about a week I had discovered that one of the plastic rivets holding the rocker panel from underneath the car was missing. Wind catching the panel would cause it to rattle against the car.

I was close to bringing it to the dealer and wanted to share in case anyone else comes across a similar issue.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by eSiK
I had a horrible rattling noise coming from the area of the B pillar on the passenger side. After taking off all the covers and door trim I unfortunately found nothing and it was quite frustrating.

After about a week I had discovered that one of the plastic rivets holding the rocker panel from underneath the car was missing. Wind catching the panel would cause it to rattle against the car.

I was close to bringing it to the dealer and wanted to share in case anyone else comes across a similar issue.
Same happened to my 2015 Altima and my 2017 Maxima. It's underneath going along the sides of the car, (black plastic clips)
Old 08-15-2018, 08:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i have a similar sound that seems to happen at random as im driving, its more common when i hit a bump but not consistent. I'm going to take a look at this tomorrow and I have seen at least one other person mention the same thing. Any other common issues that would cause this? I had thought that it was perhaps in the trunk or something on the rear passenger side pillar but I can't find it.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by eSiK

Do you have the add-on rocker panel chrome strip side valances? Those are screwed in on the front edges. Also very susceptible to being damaged when the car is lifted for oil changes. That would cause the remaining part of the rocker panel trim to flap