8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

i hate Maxima 2017 SR Sport tuned Suspension

Old 08-16-2018, 11:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i hate Maxima 2017 SR Sport tuned Suspension

Hello gents

Sport tuned suspension broke down my neck. and i'd like to replace by smoother.

do any body experienced that

can I install SV or altima shocks and springs? is it smoother or not ?

please tell me what should i do
i dont want sport suspension

( sorry fo my English )
Old 08-16-2018, 11:43 AM

Go buy an non-SR?
Old 08-16-2018, 11:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher
Go buy an non-SR?

all that i wanted is to know can i change the Shock absorber and springs with SV's or not
Old 08-16-2018, 12:39 PM

The non-SR Platinum we have is Pretty stiff in my opinion. If your neck is ailing from the ride quality, Mason isn't far off with his recommendation. You should be getting into a Buick or a soft riding SUV. Lincolns come to mind too. You'll waste a couple grand on replacement parts on this SR only to feel like you didn't accomplish the goal, and still end up trading it in with a soft suspension.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:44 PM

OP I am not so sure tbh. The SR suspension is made just for that the SR. Best bet imo would drop down to a SL or go up to a Platinum. SR is definitely more harsh BUT that is the sportiest model of all by design.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild
OP I am not so sure tbh. The SR suspension is made just for that the SR. Best bet imo would drop down to a SL or go up to a Platinum. SR is definitely more harsh BUT that is the sportiest model of all by design.

you mean that i can change to the SV or SL shocks and it's softier ?
Old 08-16-2018, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by rooody

you mean that i can change to the SV or SL shocks and it's softier ?

No, he is saying it might not be compatible.

You bought the wrong car.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher
No, he is saying it might not be compatible.

You bought the wrong car.

ok THNX
Old 08-16-2018, 05:01 PM

Random comment but have you thought about switching the wheels for the non-SR ones, or lowering the tire PSI a little bit? Either could improve ride harshness significantly.
Tire size: Non-SR: 245/45R18
SR: 245/40R19
Otherwise you might be better off trading in for a different Maxima.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by realmac
Random comment but have you thought about switching the wheels for the non-SR ones, or lowering the tire PSI a little bit? Either could improve ride harshness significantly.
Tire size: Non-SR: 245/45R18
SR: 245/40R19
Otherwise you might be better off trading in for a different Maxima.

yup, i thought about that but i think it's better to change the shocks or springs if I can
Old 08-17-2018, 10:46 AM
Jax

I'm pretty sure you could swap the shocks on your SR
​but it'll be costly.You should check your local salvage yards, that'll save you lots of $$
Old 08-17-2018, 06:45 PM

I'm old and retired, and I really like the SR (17) ride, even my wife likes the car better than the 2010 we had before. I think changing to 18" tire would soften what ever maybe, but I'm wondering if something is wrong?
Old 08-17-2018, 08:05 PM
Jax

I own a SR and honestly this car suspension feels perfect for my taste , I will bet that most of the people who complain about SR ride had Toyota camry as their daily driver, ask me how I know this , well my mother has one and I'm the one taking it to the dealership for the oil changes, I hate driving that car, I have no connection to the road when I'm driving it.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Lemonhawk
I'm old and retired, and I really like the SR (17) ride, even my wife likes the car better than the 2010 we had before. I think changing to 18" tire would soften what ever maybe, but I'm wondering if something is wrong?
I don't think any thing is wrong. Maybe the OP just drove the SR only and not the other models. Its a BIG difference imo between the SR and non SR's. I drove both the SR and Platinum before deciding on the Platinum. I liked the smoother/softer ride but that is just preference.
Old 08-18-2018, 06:56 AM
Jax

@FattiesGoneWild - I suggest you test drive a Camry LE and you'll love your platinum even more. The non SR maxima ride will satisfy most people while the SR attracts people who came from even stiffer cars.It's just a matter of preference.

OP please let us know if you change shocks on your car, In few years I plan on passing my car to my kid when she goes to college so I would probably have to do something to soften up the ride...
Old 08-18-2018, 10:48 PM

A Virginia chick driving a Volvo did a double loop in the rain on the Atlanta downtown connector last fall and broadsided our 2016 Platinum in the driver's door. Over $5K repair bill. As a result, my wife and I drove a rental 2016 SR for weeks (took two months to get our Platinum repaired). The ride was definitely stiffer, EVEN THOUGH WE ALWAYS CARRY AROUND 37 PSI in our Platinum. If we had the SR permanently, we would have switched to 18" tires and dropped to 32 psi.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
A Virginia chick driving a Volvo did a double loop in the rain on the Atlanta downtown connector last fall and broadsided our 2016 Platinum in the driver's door. Over $5K repair bill. As a result, my wife and I drove a rental 2016 SR for weeks (took two months to get our Platinum repaired). The ride was definitely stiffer, EVEN THOUGH WE ALWAYS CARRY AROUND 37 PSI in our Platinum. If we had the SR permanently, we would have switched to 18" tires and dropped to 32 psi.
Light, I have '17 SR, tires are set at 34 PSI cold, so they show 37+ when hot- I trust your experience and knowledge implicitly, buy isn't 37- I am assuming that is your cold PSI- a bit too high?
BTW, I am very happy with the ride and suspension on the SR- firm, yes but certainly not overly so- and the New England roads are not too forgiving, either..and this is my eighth Maxima..
Old 08-20-2018, 06:54 PM

Try checking your neck instead. Maybe you have a particularly weak neck and need to strengthen this area of your body. When I had my Altima, I had "Altima crotch" for quite a while until I started doing squats.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by denoose
Light, I have '17 SR, tires are set at 34 PSI cold, so they show 37+ when hot- I trust your experience and knowledge implicitly, buy isn't 37- I am assuming that is your cold PSI- a bit too high?
BTW, I am very happy with the ride and suspension on the SR- firm, yes but certainly not overly so- and the New England roads are not too forgiving, either..and this is my eighth Maxima..
denoose - If I did mostly freeway or open road driving, I would be keeping the cold psi around 35. But my wife and I spend a very large portion of our driving time creeping slowly up and down every street in endless subdivisions, turning corners almost every block (yes, checking real estate). We have found that, under that condition, carrying higher psi helps keep the front tires from wearing excessively on the outside shoulders. If we carried 37 psi and drove mostly on freeways or open road, that pressure could result in the center portion wearing faster then the edge portions of the tread.

I measure tread depth in each groove across the face of each tire every three months, and if irregular or uneven wear begins to show, we adjust the psi accordingly.

If I had to recommend a cold psi for the average driver for most driving conditions, I would probably say 35 psi.

When I was young, I loved a firmer ride - pretty much like the current SR. But time has passed my by, and now I am afraid to pass a public toilet without stopping.

So you are on your 8th Maxima! That is very impressive. My 2016 is also my 8th Maxima (I think I have already bragged about that somewhere on this board). But I have traded the last three in with less than 60K each on the odo (to get super trade-in money), so you have easily driven more miles in Maximas than I have.

I am already looking forward to the 9th gen, and if it has a 6 cylinder VQ, I will be getting one soon after they arrive at the dealer lots.

Old 08-21-2018, 06:07 PM

Thanks for the feedback Light- yes, I bought my first Max in 1992, a black 5 speed SE, and I would guess I have somewhere around 900K miles total with minimal out of pocket repairs in all those miles- I can recall a wheel bearing at one point and really not much else- consumables- brake pads, tires, etc. And a lot of oil changes! The cars have all treated me very well indeed.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:56 PM

Yes you can but why would you? Just buy a non-SR.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:50 AM

Based on the average depreciation of well over 33% in 1 years, and as much as 50% in 3, this "Super trade-in money" you're talking about is your own money. If you're buying new and trading in around 3-4 years, a lease seems the only reasonable option. $430 lease payment vs a $730 a month payment...

Maxima worst resale value

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
... But I have traded the last three in with less than 60K each on the odo (to get super trade-in money), so you have easily driven more miles in Maximas than I have.

I am already looking forward to the 9th gen, and if it has a 6 cylinder VQ, I will be getting one soon after they arrive at the dealer lots.

Old 08-22-2018, 03:38 PM

i love Maxima 2017 SR Sport tuned Suspension
Old 08-22-2018, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by MadMax07SL
Based on the average depreciation of well over 33% in 1 years, and as much as 50% in 3, this "Super trade-in money" you're talking about is your own money. If you're buying new and trading in around 3-4 years, a lease seems the only reasonable option. $430 lease payment vs a $730 a month payment...

Maxima worst resale value

Lol right .. That's why I'm never buying brand new again.. Bought my 14 Altima brand new, my 17 Mustang GT brand new...

17 maxima used Sr 23k otd. Why pay 30plus for a new
Old 08-28-2021, 09:14 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Love my SR

Originally Posted by Crisisx1
i love Maxima 2017 SR Sport tuned Suspension
feels like a sports car..
Old 08-28-2021, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by rooody
Hello gents

Sport tuned suspension broke down my neck. and i'd like to replace by smoother.

do any body experienced that

can I install SV or altima shocks and springs? is it smoother or not ?

please tell me what should i do
i dont want sport suspension

( sorry fo my English )
I feel your pain. The only thing I did not like about my '09 SV was the harsh ride. When it was time to replace the tires I selected the softest riding ones I could find but it did not help much. I replaced it with a '17 Platinum and love the ride. All is good in Maxima land again.