8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

My First Brand New Car!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 07:53 AM

My First Brand New Car!

Hello, new here. I just bought a 2018 SR in white. It's my fourth Maxima in a row, but first brand spanking new

I have a question about window tint. Ontario doesn't allow anything on the windshield, 70% must be transmitted through the driver and passenger side, the rear windows have no restrictions. I'm entertaining the idea of pushing the law a bit on the front side windows and maybe a step darker on the rear. Has anyone run different tints like this? Will it look funny? Is it even worth it?

I sort of feel that as long as I don't drive like a d-bag, the cops will leave me alone.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:02 AM

My thought on this issue is......Don't give the police a reason to pull you over. If it is the law, it is the law. Just looking for trouble. They you have to have it removed......

Congrats on the new car.....!
Old 11-13-2018, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by wild *****
My thought on this issue is......Don't give the police a reason to pull you over. If it is the law, it is the law. Just looking for trouble. They you have to have it removed......

Congrats on the new car.....!
You may be right, I'm going to have to talk to a local tint shop and see what other people are doing.

Related/side note: Because they're clearing out 18s, the dealer is having trouble locating my vehicle. The only one he is found is across the country in BC. He said they would eat the cost of that transport which I can't imagine is very cheap. However, there's a very nearby Platinum in my colour scheme, already has a diffuser and ground lights. I'm not a fan of the wood trim, which they said they could wrap. Meh on the sunroof, almost wouldn't use it. I was big on the 19" wheels on the SR as well. If I could get the Plat at the same price, should I do it?

Edit: the platinum has the light tan interior, not the camel that I wanted. Pretty much a deal breaker for me. I'd consider black interior but I don't want that light colour.

Last edited by BigAppleBag; 11-13-2018 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by BigAppleBag
You may be right, I'm going to have to talk to a local tint shop and see what other people are doing.

Related/side note: Because they're clearing out 18s, the dealer is having trouble locating my vehicle. The only one he is found is across the country in BC. He said they would eat the cost of that transport which I can't imagine is very cheap. However, there's a very nearby Platinum in my colour scheme, already has a diffuser and ground lights. I'm not a fan of the wood trim, which they said they could wrap. Meh on the sunroof, almost wouldn't use it. I was big on the 19" wheels on the SR as well. If I could get the Plat at the same price, should I do it?

Edit: the platinum has the light tan interior, not the camel that I wanted. Pretty much a deal breaker for me. I'd consider black interior but I don't want that light colour.
The Platinum is more car for the dough. You can grab the 19s off EBAY later The tan interior is fine,
Old 11-13-2018, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by robtroxel
The Platinum is more car for the dough. You can grab the 19s off EBAY later The tan interior is fine,
i wanted the tan interior at first, but none were available at the time. Have been happy with the black anyway

Old 11-13-2018, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by robtroxel
Bird's eye camera is the only difference I care about. Maybe there's something I'm not considering, but I can't think of what. I really think the tan interior is blah, plus if I happen to mark it up somehow it will stick out like a sore thumb. I guess since it's my first new car and even with discounts it's not cheap, I really would like exactly what I want, and I think the camel is sharp.

Last edited by BigAppleBag; 11-13-2018 at 09:33 PM. Reason: added pictures
Old 11-14-2018, 05:29 AM

I think the Platinum would be a good buy... BUT in my experience getting a car with color combinations other than what you want can be a mistake. I did that once and couldn’t get the car I really wanted out of my mind. Thought about it every time I got into the car. Lol. And seeing one going down the road made it worse. Lol. Ended up making the switch later and was much happier for it.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by BigAppleBag
Hello, new here. I just bought a 2018 SR in white. It's my fourth Maxima in a row, but first brand spanking new

I have a question about window tint. Ontario doesn't allow anything on the windshield, 70% must be transmitted through the driver and passenger side, the rear windows have no restrictions. I'm entertaining the idea of pushing the law a bit on the front side windows and maybe a step darker on the rear. Has anyone run different tints like this? Will it look funny? Is it even worth it?

I sort of feel that as long as I don't drive like a d-bag, the cops will leave me alone.
Be careful with tint. I have gone with limo tint on rear windows in the past and it makes seeing at night extremely difficult. It is even worse if you over darken your front windows. I know tint looks cool, but safety and good visibility should be your first priority.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:32 AM

Hey, I'm in Ottawa and I've had 20% on all windows (except windshield) on my cars and trucks for the last 15 years and I used to have 15% on my 2001 Maxima, I've never been pulled over for tint or had them mention my tint when pulled over for other issues, mainly speeding lol. I also have the sunstrip of window tint across the top of the front windshield. There is a mark on the windshield which shows how far down the tint is allowed to be, probably around 6" from the top roughly.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by kwlbrown
Hey, I'm in Ottawa and I've had 20% on all windows (except windshield) on my cars and trucks for the last 15 years and I used to have 15% on my 2001 Maxima, I've never been pulled over for tint or had them mention my tint when pulled over for other issues, mainly speeding lol. I also have the sunstrip of window tint across the top of the front windshield. There is a mark on the windshield which shows how far down the tint is allowed to be, probably around 6" from the top roughly.
It only applies to cars manufactured Jan 1, 2017 and after. Older cars don't have to worry about it. I'm going to go to the tint place and ask them what other people are doing and if there has been any ticketing. I was thinking only 50 on the front and either 35 or 20 on the rest.

They did locate my car in BC, should have it good to go next week!