8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Unavailable Front Radar Obstruction

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 11:17 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Unavailable Front Radar Obstruction

Hey guys, new member here.

I just bought a new 2018 Plat yesterday and have been experiencing issues with the cruise control feature. As I’m sure you’re all aware it has the adaptive sensing ability for vehicles in front of you.

My issue is that I am consistently receiving an error message on the dash saying Unavailable Front Radar Obstruction - with the pictures of the cars and the cruise control symbol. The feature fails when this warning (accompanied by a beep) appears.

I found this article that outlines my exact problem, only it doesn’t say anywhere that the maxima has this issue also. https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.slas...-21546828/amp/

I’m scheduled for an appointment on Thursday at the dealer in Ottawa ON. CA, but I am not hopeful; over the phone the local service tech kept referring to weather conditions playing a role, when there was no weather to speak of yesterday for my 3 hour ride to visit my fiancé, nor for my 3 hour return trip this morning. He advises that they require a clear, no-weather day to test the feature. It should be noted that a couple of extended periods of time did occur, where the feature worked flawlessly. Then out of nowhere...she gon! It works sporadically, seemingly out of nowhere it will work and then it suddenly won’t work. There’s no rhyme or reason to the occurrences of the failures.

Hoping for any sort of info from fellow owners, or some direction. I’ve looked into some forums for other models and I’m concerned about the response from Nissan.

Thanks!
Old 11-13-2018, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by JoshC

I just bought a new 2018 Plat yesterday and have been experiencing issues with the cruise control feature. As I’m sure you’re all aware it has the adaptive sensing ability for vehicles in front of you.

My issue is that I am consistently receiving an error message on the dash saying Unavailable Front Radar Obstruction - with the pictures of the cars and the cruise control symbol. The feature fails when this warning (accompanied by a beep) appears.

I found this article that outlines my exact problem, only it doesn’t say anywhere that the maxima has this issue also. https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.slas...-21546828/amp/

I’m scheduled for an appointment on Thursday at the dealer in Ottawa ON. CA, but I am not hopeful; over the phone the local service tech kept referring to weather conditions playing a role, when there was no weather to speak of yesterday for my 3 hour ride to visit my fiancé, nor for my 3 hour return trip this morning. He advises that they require a clear, no-weather day to test the feature. It should be noted that a couple of extended periods of time did occur, where the feature worked flawlessly. Then out of nowhere...she gon! It works sporadically, seemingly out of nowhere it will work and then it suddenly won’t work. There’s no rhyme or reason to the occurrences of the failures.

Hoping for any sort of info from fellow owners, or some direction. I’ve looked into some forums for other models and I’m concerned about the response from Nissan.

Thanks!
Could be an intermittant issue with the front behind- the bumper sensor. Others have had the problem when ice builds up in front bumper skin
Old 11-13-2018, 05:50 PM

Take movies to show the dealer what is happening
Old 11-13-2018, 06:03 PM

JoshC, please review following thread, let us know if it helps:

Issues with the Adaptive Cruise Control: https://maxima.org/forums/8th-genera...e-control.html

Old 11-14-2018, 02:10 PM

Thanks!
Hi I had simalar issue while driving on a long trip to New York. Once I shut car down and restarted it worked for a period of 20 to 30 minutes.
I brought car in to my selling dealer and service technician found several error codes logged which pointed to out of alignment sensor.
Within 30 minutes I had the car back and never had the problem again. Service Tech realigned the sensor (2016 Max Platinum)

Randy

Last edited by Randy; 11-15-2018 at 06:05 AM.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2018 SR here. Similar issues with the random error. Always happens on my way home from work on this elevated highway on-ramp. Happens randomly otherwise, regardless of speed, time of day, etc.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:08 PM

Thanks!
Could be a faulty front radar. I was having the same problem and dealer found the front radar had failed. They replaced it and I have not had the issue since. It must be some what of a common issue since the part was on national back order at the time and I had to wait 3 weeks for it to come in.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:17 AM

I have this issue on the same road, going the same direction at the same point, EVERY TIME. I drive on a viaduct elevated highway that goes right over a utility company facility that has a buttload of microwave and radio towers. A few hundred yards it disappears and never happens anywhere else.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had the same problem with my 2018 Max. I took to the dealer " under warranty " and it was one of the sensors and fix the same day. NO COST.
Old 12-09-2018, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Alcaideariel12
I had the same problem with my 2018 Max. I took to the dealer " under warranty " and it was one of the sensors and fix the same day. NO COST.
Just like my 17. My gut tells me a bad batch of sensors made it onto certain vehicles.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:15 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

It is happening on my 2018 Maxima as well. Getting it out of the dealer today, said they replaced the distance sensor. It happens daily to me and any weather. will see and will post if it has changed or not.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:54 AM

This exact same thing happens on my 2016 SR. Just completely random. Sometimes it starts working again during the same drive, other times I have to stop and start the car again.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:29 PM

99% of the time this happens to me in the rain. Today was a great example, I was able to to use ACC about 50% of the time (pouring rain most of the time).
Old 05-13-2019, 09:07 PM

I had the same problem, took it to the dealer and they replaced the front radar sensor. Has not ever happened ever since. Once the car runs out of warranty (mine is a 2017.5) if it happens again I will just turn off the setting.
I saw the warranty invoice and it was around $1,200...I would never pay that kind of money for that feature
Old 05-18-2019, 07:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Had the same issue as well. The alert would turn on every time I took the car out to drive. Took it to the Nissan dealer and they replaced the left sensor under warranty. At first they thought it just needed a calibration though. Makes me wonder when the other sensor will fail
Old 05-31-2019, 10:30 AM

Same issue here on my 2016 SR but it is totally random. It might not give me issue for months at a time and then twice on one trip. Quite annoying when it happens because the cruise control is offline.
Old 06-01-2019, 06:36 AM

I've had it, but only in adverse weather. Heavy rain, fog, etc. I'd expect this sort of thing even if everything is working properly. However, random failures in all types of weather should not happen.
Old 08-27-2020, 03:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Front radar obstruction

I have a 2016 max sr
literally every time im driving north on the golden gate Bridge leaving San Francisco it goes off.
It never happens when im driving south into the city or anywhere else really.
always on the same bridge going the same way.

Im gonna schedule an appointment soon
But i procrastinate like a **** lol

Old 08-28-2020, 08:59 AM

I had this issue as well. When I pulled my bumper off to replace my grill I noticed that the sensor wasn't aligned correctly in the housing. I popped it back in place and haven't had an issue since, well other than when driving through the occasional rain storm but that's normal.
Old 09-02-2020, 05:38 PM

J ROD has this right. Even when the sensor is where it should be, my 2019 will pop an out of service warning in heavy rains or icy build-ups.
Clean the right front area of the bumper if you can.
Old 09-05-2020, 07:17 PM

Hi all,

There's a TSB on similar behavior from April 2019: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...60162-9999.pdf
Old 09-08-2020, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by zup28w
Hi all,

There's a TSB on similar behavior from April 2019: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...60162-9999.pdf
Thanks for this info. Naturally, my 2019 has not been acting up but then again I have not been driving in snow or heavy rain.