Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   8th Generation Maxima (2016-) (https://maxima.org/forums/8th-generation-maxima-2016-88/)
-   -   Car braking off the Acceleration pedal Maxima 2017 (https://maxima.org/forums/8th-generation-maxima-2016/703056-car-braking-off-acceleration-pedal-maxima-2017-a.html)

OmarHamad 11-30-2018 10:23 PM

Car braking off the Acceleration pedal Maxima 2017

Dear memebers of this respectful forum
Have anyone experienced the car almost braking or becomes very heavy (like it's pulled from behind) when driving at low speeds and lifting your foot from the Acceleration pad (without braking)
This issue was non remarkable for me earlier but one month ago it became intense and almost annoying.
I can't remember doing anything out of the ordinary during the last months and a friend suggested may be the brake pads are all stuck even in the back which will generate heat during the car running and moving, could it be really the reason?
Any help is highly appreciated

Ed Hanson 12-01-2018 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by OmarHamad (Post 9189061)
Have anyone experienced the car almost braking or becomes very heavy (like it's pulled from behind) when driving at low speeds and lifting your foot from the Acceleration pad (without braking)
This issue was non remarkable for me earlier but one month ago it became intense and almost annoying.
I can't remember doing anything out of the ordinary during the last months and a friend suggested may be the brake pads are all stuck even in the back which will generate heat during the car running and moving, could it be really the reason?

I haven't experienced this on my 2016. The car is under factory warranty, so I would suggest heading over to your Nissan dealership and getting it checked out. There was a series of recalls on the Maxima and one may point to your issue. Let us know what you find out, please.

OmarHamad 12-01-2018 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Ed Hanson (Post 9189077)
I haven't experienced this on my 2016. The car is under factory warranty, so I would suggest heading over to your Nissan dealership and getting it checked out. There was a series of recalls on the Maxima and one may point to your issue. Let us know what you find out, please.

You should see the dealership here.. They don't even have the Maxima in their show rooms!
They don't know nothing about anything..
I thought I should check users to see if they experienced something as near as mine.

Ed Hanson 12-01-2018 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by OmarHamad (Post 9189107)
You should see the dealership here.. They don't even have the Maxima in their show rooms!
They don't know nothing about anything..
I thought I should check users to see if they experienced something as near as mine.

Can you get to another dealership? The one you're talking about still should have all the recall bulletins available to them, if in fact it is a recall. Recalls are not dealer specific, they go out to all.

natro33 12-01-2018 11:40 AM

Our maximas have an engine braking feature that assists the vehicle with coming to a stop. It does suck sometimes. Can be annoying. Google maxima engine braking and you can find discussions on it.

OmarHamad 12-01-2018 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Ed Hanson (Post 9189077)

Originally Posted by natro33 (Post 9189117)
Our maximas have an engine braking feature that assists the vehicle with coming to a stop. It does suck sometimes. Can be annoying. Google maxima engine braking and you can find discussions on it.

Is it activated every time we raise our foot from the gas? I find it really annoying and risky for other drivers behind me since the car is stopping with no brake lights!!

Ed Hanson 12-01-2018 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by OmarHamad (Post 9189127)
Is it activated every time we raise our foot from the gas? I find it really annoying and risky for other drivers behind me since the car is stopping with no brake lights!!

No, so you need to go to your dealer and get it checked out. Never heard of this. Sounds to me like your emergency brake is engaged. :gotme:

lindros2 12-02-2018 07:36 AM

Could be related to the other thread re: Maxima (Platinum) brake pad wear.
Assistive braking + sticking to pads (heat?) = issue you might have.

grhmw 03-07-2019 03:09 PM

mine does this also. I noticed it right away. I think it is normal since it cas a CVT trans.

NisCal17 03-07-2019 03:28 PM

It’s CVT. It happens sometimes... when in low speed traffic.

compyelc4 03-07-2019 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by NisCal17 (Post 9197025)
It’s CVT. It happens sometimes... when in low speed traffic.

Omar's problem DOES NOT sound normal by any means. The way Omar describes this, it sounds like an accident waiting to happen! Omar, have you received a Recall Notice for your ABS (braking system)? Also, many of us are very knowledgeable about our Max's, but I would not rely on getting good feedback from us relative to troubleshooting your particular problem via back and forth text like this. You need to get that sucker to anyone who knows how to read your system codes. Let them take the test drive. They will tell you if you have a problem, which I highly suspect you do.

Go have her checked out and let us know what you find out. Good luck with this.

BlakMaxiJoey 03-08-2019 06:34 AM

IMO I think this is normal, like some of us here say. It is annoying though, especially driving around at 25mph. But, I’m used to it now. Would be nice, if it’s programmed to do this on speeds other than the speed limit around town.

robtroxel 03-08-2019 06:34 AM

I wonder if the lock up torque converter is slow to release upon deceleration?

compyelc4 03-08-2019 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by BlakMaxiJoey (Post 9197072)
IMO I think this is normal, like some of us here say. It is annoying though, especially driving around at 25mph. But, I’m used to it now. Would be nice, if it’s programmed to do this on speeds other than the speed limit around town.

He says the car comes to a stop without brake application when he removes his foot from accelerator. How many guys here have Max's that will come to a stop without using brakes? Inquiring minds want to know.

lionel2013 03-08-2019 04:51 PM

Yes, me. I know what you mean.

I have a 2018 Max SV which I bought brand new. I have experienced the same phenomenon with other cars in the past but none of them had CVT, this one does so I don't understand why it happens because it's not supposed to either downshift or upshift.
I will ask the question when I go in for my 1st service appointment, I don't even have 5000 miles on it yet. Maybe it's an artifact of the fake shifting thing they came up with under heavy acceleration to please people used to a regular automatic transmission (did you know about that one, OP? That might be the explanation but I am not sure).

Lemonhawk 03-08-2019 05:16 PM

The SR in sport mode does engine breaking when you take your foot off the accelerator, so this may be normal. It allows the sport mode to get better mileage than normal mode, if you can moderate the lead foot syndrome.

BlakMaxiJoey 03-08-2019 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by compyelc4 (Post 9197105)
He says the car comes to a stop without brake application when he removes his foot from accelerator. How many guys here have Max's that will come to a stop without using brakes? Inquiring minds want to know.

i don’t see anything about “to a stop”

Lemonhawk 03-09-2019 01:52 PM

I haven't achieved a full stop on engine breaking alone.

compyelc4 03-09-2019 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by BlakMaxiJoey (Post 9197124)

i don’t see anything about “to a stop”

Omar said, "...since the car is stopping". Maybe I misunderstood what he meant. Maybe he meant "slowing down" rather than "stopping".

lightonthehill 03-10-2019 06:14 PM

I thought engine compression braking was standard on all Maximas. I know I had it on my 2004 SL (automatic tranny) and my 2009 Premium (CVT). I appreciate it when driving reasonably aggressively on curvy mountain roads. It may have been introduced on the Maxima in 2004, because I remember 'playing' with it a lot in that Maxima while driving the full length of the Blue Ridge Parkway. But I do not remember it coming even close to stopping the car. It reminded me a little of the days when I used lower gears (sort of introduces an engine compression braking effect) when descending steep mountain grades while driving tractor trailers, but not with quite that much slowing of the vehicle.

stodge 03-10-2019 07:18 PM

I think it's when the torque converter locks/unlocks (which is it?) as you slow down to a stop. Mine does the same - it feels like the car is heavily braking but it's not. It's especially annoying as when I come to a slowish stop, I brake according to the conditions. The torque converter does its thing and slows the car down too much so I either stop too early or have to let off the brakes.

Fishlet 03-11-2019 05:50 AM

Do you have the SR model, engine braking is a feature on the SR only. That or you have a torque converter that's refusing to disengage leading to some unintended engine breaking.