Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   8th Generation Maxima (2016-) (https://maxima.org/forums/8th-generation-maxima-2016-88/)
-   -   TPMS tire rotation (https://maxima.org/forums/8th-generation-maxima-2016/703321-tpms-tire-rotation.html)

MoopMeep 01-03-2019 09:15 AM

TPMS tire rotation

I usually have the dealer rotate my tires but
I was wondering, since the display shows the pressure in each tire, when you rotate the tires do you have to do anything to tell the car that the tires have moved to different positions?
Does it figure it out itself?

MoopMeep 01-03-2019 09:18 AM

FYI: I looked in the manual and it just said to rotate the tires after xxxx miles. I didn't see anything talking about the tpms self adjusting

Mason Hatcher 01-03-2019 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by MoopMeep (Post 9191895)
FYI: I looked in the manual and it just said to rotate the tires after xxxx miles. I didn't see anything talking about the tpms self adjusting

You also didn't read anything about TMPS needing to be calibrated after tire rotation. ;)

gizzsdad 01-03-2019 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by MoopMeep (Post 9191894)
Does it figure it out itself?

Yes

NisCal17 01-03-2019 12:01 PM

Don’t do rotation

lionel2013 01-03-2019 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by NisCal17 (Post 9191910)
Don’t do rotation

All due respect but this is bad advice.

Why do you advise not to rotate tires?

09Maxima_Sam 01-04-2019 03:07 AM

The Maxima's automatically detect which tire is at which position on the vehicle. After a few minutes of driving the proper tire will show up at the proper location. After I get my tires rotated, the tire shop usually over inflates my tires to 38psi or so. So therefore when I get home that evening, I let the tires rest and cool, and check the cold tire pressure the next morning, and adjust the tires to 33 cold pressure in relation to the current temperature before I leave for work. This assures that not one tire is higher pressure then the other. With this process the tires never get further than 2 psi within each other while driving. Now if we have exceptionally cold weather, I will observe the initial pressures to make sure they are not too low, but they rarely get below 32 PSI.

compyelc4 01-04-2019 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by NisCal17 (Post 9191910)
Don’t do rotation

One of the most misguided statements I have ever heard on this site with regard to tire maintenance. Please site authoritative references to back up your advice.
I have heard of "can't rotate" such as with different size tires in front and back, but never "don't rotate".

robtroxel 01-04-2019 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by 09Maxima_Sam (Post 9191967)
The Maxima's automatically detect which tire is at which position on the vehicle. After a few minutes of driving the proper tire will show up at the proper location. After I get my tires rotated, the tire shop usually over inflates my tires to 38psi or so. So therefore when I get home that evening, I let the tires rest and cool, and check the cold tire pressure the next morning, and adjust the tires to 33 cold pressure in relation to the current temperature before I leave for work. This assures that not one tire is higher pressure then the other. With this process the tires never get further than 2 psi within each other while driving. Now if we have exceptionally cold weather, I will observe the initial pressures to make sure they are not too low, but they rarely get below 32 PSI.

Well said,

helps you stay away from "chonga-chonga" noise your tireswill make when the rotations are not done

lightonthehill 01-04-2019 06:34 PM

The TPMS system on the 8th gen is rather impressive. On my 6th gen, I did well to keep the four tires within two psi of each other. But with this 8th gen, I have, with no great effort, been able to have all four tires read the exact same psi over 90% of the time. I began by slightly overinflating all four tires, then let the car sit overnight, then carefully letting out air until all four tires had a psi of exactly 37, which, over decades of driving Maximas, I have found to be the optimum psi for my particular driving style (best control during maneuvers, most even tread wear and longest tire life) I am a very active driver, so most drivers will probably find their best psi may be lower, say 34 or 35.

I do monitor and record my tire wear. I measure the tread depth in each groove of each tire every three months, and if the wear shows any sign of becoming uneven, I take immediate action to correct the issue. Anal? Yes. But I am often anal about my car.