Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   8th Generation Maxima (2016-) (https://maxima.org/forums/8th-generation-maxima-2016-88/)
-   -   Cashmere or Charcoal interior? (https://maxima.org/forums/8th-generation-maxima-2016/703447-cashmere-charcoal-interior.html)

sschumer 01-17-2019 04:05 PM

Cashmere or Charcoal interior?

For those of you who had a choice between the Cashmere or Charcoal interior, just curious to get your answer to this question. Obviously no wrong or right answer. :D Thanks in advance guys!

• Which one did you choose and why? For example:
  • For those that chose Cashmere:
    • Did you do so because of the "two-color/two-tone" effect it offered?
    • Did you do so because you simply thought it went better with the exterior color you chose (which was)?
    • Other reason?
    • If you've had for awhile, has it been a challenge to keep clean (e.g. stains from jeans)?
  • For those that chose Charcoal:
    • Did you do so because you considered the Cashmere too light for your taste?
    • Did you do so because you considered it more "maintenance-free" than the Cashmere?
    • Did you do so because you simply thought it went better with the exterior color you chose (which was)?
    • Other reason?

2young2retire 01-17-2019 05:01 PM

I have the Cashmere and chose it because it is much cooler after setting in the sun, especially in the summer (I live in the South), and it does not show dirt as quickly as a dark interior. Also I just like the way it looks. It does show blue stains from jeans, mainly on the seat back next to the door. I just stay on top of it and do not let it get bad. A word of warning, do not let your wife us a magic eraser on the blue jean stains, she can take the color right off the seat down to the dark part of the leather. Found that out with my 7th generation Max.

slava 01-17-2019 06:12 PM

I chose charcoal just because I prefer darker colors on cars, both inside and outside.

compyelc4 01-17-2019 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by sschumer (Post 9193080)
For those of you who had a choice between the Cashmere or Charcoal interior, just curious to get your answer to this question. Obviously no wrong or right answer. :D Thanks in advance guys!
  • Which one did you choose and why? For example:
  • For those that chose Cashmere:
    • Did you do so because of the "two-color/two-tone" effect it offered?
    • Other reason?
    • If you've had for awhile, has it been a challenge to keep clean (e.g. stains from jeans)?
  • For those that chose Charcoal:
    • Did you do so because you considered the Cashmere too light for your taste?
    • Did you do so because you considered it more "maintenance-free" than the Cashmere?
    • Other reason?

Charcoal because more maintenance free. The cashmere would have looked very nice with the Coulis exterior color however.

lightonthehill 01-17-2019 10:57 PM

This was a tough choice for me. I have always chosen lighter interior colors (usually gray) because I live in middle Georgia and summers are blisteringly hot. But my only choices in my 2016 Platinum were cashmere and charcoal.

I was leaning toward the cashmere, but searched online for how owners liked each of these two colors. I found there were complaints about clothing colors coming off onto the cashmere, but not on the charcoal. Having never had a black interior, I decided to give it a try.

That was three and a half years ago, and the charcoal has held up very well; no complaints whatsoever, except that after I have left the car in full sun for an extended period, I am very careful how I enter the car. I think the charcoal interior goes well with my brilliant silver exterior.

The heat problem would have been helped by installing rain guards, which enable leaving the windows cracked open on hot, rainy days, but never saw a set of rain guards I felt would fit and work well on my car. I am hoping I will be able to get a gray interior on my 9th generation Maxima.

Fishlet 01-18-2019 07:16 AM

I wanted the cashmere, but I was buying used and that combined with the deep blue pearl was extremely hard to find, so I settled for black. In retrospect, I'm really liking the dark interior more than I thought I would

denoose 01-18-2019 07:43 AM

Off topic perhaps, but having had seven Maximas prior to my '17 SR, with both charcoal and lighter color interiors, the choice for me was the "camel" interior. It's holding up very well and gets a lot of compliments

lindros2 01-18-2019 08:40 AM

I got charcoal, but didn't have a choice.
Would I get cashmere next time? Maybe.
Or Rakuda tan (Plat Reserve).

gizzsdad 01-18-2019 08:51 AM

I always prefer lighter colors for heat absorption, so I chose cashmere.

I haven't had any trouble keeping it clean - but I'm pretty anal !! :D

lionel2013 01-18-2019 04:57 PM

Depends on how long you plan on keeping your car. If 5+ years then charcoal, much easier to clean. Else - cashmere, this one does present the advantage of not heating up as much as charcoal in the sun.

BTW I have charcoal in my pearl blue Max, but I speak from experience here. In my silver 2005 Max I had light gray seats, and over the years they sure have shown their age. But I kept the car for a good 11 years, during which I did absolutely nothing to maintain my leather interior. So I guess all in all it explains things.

robtroxel 01-19-2019 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by lionel2013 (Post 9193173)
Depends on how long you plan on keeping your car. If 5+ years then charcoal, much easier to clean. Else - cashmere, this one does present the advantage of not heating up as much as charcoal in the sun.

BTW I have charcoal in my pearl blue Max, but I speak from experience here. In my silver 2005 Max I had light gray seats, and over the years they sure have shown their age. But I kept the car for a good 11 years, during which I did absolutely nothing to maintain my leather interior. So I guess all in all it explains things.

I have the Coulis Red and the Black interior. I do agree that the Black ages very well on my 2016 Platinum. We condition the leather and it has gotten softer with each succesive application. One thing, those womens jeans with the rivets and designer studs will just shred the seat backs. Warranty will not cover this mistreatment either.

Max2013 01-19-2019 01:21 PM

“For those that chose Charcoal:”
  • Did you do so because you considered the Cashmere too light for your taste? YES
  • Did you do so because you considered it more "maintenance-free" than the Cashmere? YES
  • Did you do so because you simply thought it went better with the exterior color you chose (which was)? YES. (White).
i chose charcoal for these exact reasons. I am very pleased with it.

Fishlet 01-19-2019 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Max2013 (Post 9193238)
“For those that chose Charcoal:”
  • Did you do so because you considered the Cashmere too light for your taste? YES
  • Did you do so because you considered it more "maintenance-free" than the Cashmere? YES
  • Did you do so because you simply thought it went better with the exterior color you chose (which was)? YES. (White).
i chose charcoal for these exact reasons. I am very pleased with it.

i didn't exactly choose to go with the charcoal, but in retrospect I think it will be easier to keep clean. I Was worried about how hot it would get in the Florida sun, thankfully I've been able to keep it in the shade most of the time

lindros2 01-19-2019 05:59 PM

Cashmere on the 2019 platinum is very nice.
It doesn't have the awful light colored steering wheel like my last Pathfinder.

carp 01-20-2019 09:10 AM

I have the charcoal interior. I don't like an all black interior, but at the same time I don't want a color that will show dirt more easily. To me the perfect compromise is how they do it with the Maxima, you get the dark seats/lower part of the interior combined with the lighter colored ceiling/pillars.

compyelc4 01-20-2019 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by carp (Post 9193295)
I have the charcoal interior. I don't like an all black interior, but at the same time I don't want a color that will show dirt more easily. To me the perfect compromise is how they do it with the Maxima, you get the dark seats/lower part of the interior combined with the lighter colored ceiling/pillars.

You are observant and I agree with you. One other reason I usually go with black or charcoal is the ease with which you can touch up scratches, scrapes, scuffs, and even worn leather spots with just a little permanent shoe dye. I've used the same brand for years and it works very well.

wild willy 01-21-2019 06:56 AM

Black interior hides soooooo much....Black exterior accentuates every imperfection, every swirl.......Never black on the outside for me.....never light on the inside.....even though I love the light interior. I supposed if I lived in the west or deep south I would go light..winter around NW PA kills interiors....

carp 01-21-2019 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by compyelc4 (Post 9193304)
You are observant and I agree with you. One other reason I usually go with black or charcoal is the ease with which you can touch up scratches, scrapes, scuffs, and even worn leather spots with just a little permanent shoe dye. I've used the same brand for years and it works very well.

Good idea, what shoe dye do you use? thanks

carp 01-21-2019 09:47 AM

Also, I should add that having the sun roof panels open all the time (not the glass in the winter obviously) makes a huge difference and keeps the interior from looking dark when you have the charcoal. I test drove a Stinger with a standard sun roof and I didn't like the all black interior with much less natural light, it was too dark in there.

compyelc4 01-21-2019 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by carp (Post 9193393)
Good idea, what shoe dye do you use? thanks

I just found the stuff. It is called "Tarrago". Says it is made in Spain. www.tarago.com. Looks like a paste that smells like a jolt of lacquer thinner if you take a good whiff. :-) The container is more like a small jar, about 2" in diameter and 1" tall, with a built-in, snap-out applicator in the plastic screw-on top. I purchased mine before from a local shoe store in dark gray (no silly, not the store, the dye color), and then another time in black. Fantastic stuff. I used it the first time to re-dye a ton of scuffs on a beautiful, supple lamb skiin leather coat I inherited from my dad. Boy, did it do a nice job on that! Next use was for my leather seats. It does not come off like regular shoe polish.

sschumer 01-23-2019 08:09 AM

Just want to thank everyone here who has replied so far to my original question. As I expected, great insights shared, pros and cons thoughtfully laid out, additional, helpful points made. Thanks again guys.

carp 01-23-2019 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by compyelc4 (Post 9193433)
I just found the stuff. It is called "Tarrago". Says it is made in Spain. www.tarago.com. Looks like a paste that smells like a jolt of lacquer thinner if you take a good whiff. :-) The container is more like a small jar, about 2" in diameter and 1" tall, with a built-in, snap-out applicator in the plastic screw-on top. I purchased mine before from a local shoe store in dark gray (no silly, not the store, the dye color), and then another time in black. Fantastic stuff. I used it the first time to re-dye a ton of scuffs on a beautiful, supple lamb skiin leather coat I inherited from my dad. Boy, did it do a nice job on that! Next use was for my leather seats. It does not come off like regular shoe polish.

thanks!

sschumer 01-23-2019 04:30 PM

Re: Tarrago Shoe Cream, while this corrected www.tarrago.com link does work (two "r's" in tarrago), also found on Amazon:

groovyv03 02-02-2019 06:41 PM

I choose Cashmere in my 16' Storm Blue SL cause' I thought it looked cool. After a couple years the driver seat had a "dirty" look to it,
I just picked up my Shiny New 19' Platimun and went with the charcoal.

sschumer 02-03-2019 12:23 PM

groovyv03, thanks. Just curious: Did you try to keep clean and just found you couldn't?

wtgkb8 02-04-2019 03:13 AM

I know when I buy an 8th gen Maxima next summer (2020), I will likely get the Cashmere in a Platinum unless there are none within 250 miles. I had charcoal in my 2012 and it was just so dark inside. I had Cashmere in my 2015 Murano Platinum, and never had any issues keeping it clean. It will be my daily driver, but I have a 2017 Pro-4x Titan if I need to do anything that could get crazy dirty or taking the dogs somewhere.

groovyv03 02-04-2019 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by sschumer (Post 9194363)
groovyv03, thanks. Just curious: Did you try to keep clean and just found you couldn't?

I didn't have trouble cleaning it, It just was just more "High Maintenance". Don't get me wrong, It looked sweet. But I felt like a change.

compyelc4 03-16-2019 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by robtroxel (Post 9193212)
I have the Coulis Red and the Black interior. I do agree that the Black ages very well on my 2016 Platinum. We condition the leather and it has gotten softer with each succesive application. One thing, those womens jeans with the rivets and designer studs will just shred the seat backs. Warranty will not cover this mistreatment either.

Not trying to be smart Rob but I've always heard that auto leather surfaces are treated so that conditioners have no effect because the conditioners can't get through to the leather surface to do their thing unless the leather coating has been compromised with wear, cracks, and the like. I should probably study this a bit more. It's been awhile since I read this somewhere in an auto journal.

compyelc4 03-16-2019 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by compyelc4 (Post 9197784)
Not trying to be smart Rob but I've always heard that auto leather surfaces are treated so that conditioners have no effect because the conditioners can't get through to the leather surface to do their thing unless the leather coating has been compromised with wear, cracks, and the like. I should probably study this a bit more. It's been awhile since I read this somewhere in an auto journal.

I just did a little searching and found out that new leather is coated with a very thin vinyl so the leather will repel water, and other liquid gunk. I do use conditioner on a couple of my older cars because the leather seats are worn and I can actually see the leather absorb the conditioner to produce dark lines where the worn sections are.

Gator5000e 03-16-2019 07:53 PM

I chose charcoal and answer yes to all three questions. Plus I’ve always preferred a dark interior. I think it looks classy and more expensive. Just my opinion.

Toaster 04-04-2019 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by 2young2retire (Post 9193087)
It does show blue stains from jeans, mainly on the seat back next to the door. I just stay on top of it and do not let it get bad. A word of warning, do not let your wife us a magic eraser on the blue jean stains, she can take the color right off the seat down to the dark part of the leather. Found that out with my 7th generation Max.

I'm starting to see this. What product do you use to remove it?

robtroxel 04-05-2019 05:45 AM

Welcome to the new 2019 Platinum ownership. Would love to hear your observations about what has improved and what you don't care for VS your 2016 and 2019. We also went with black interior and instead, white exterior

Originally Posted by groovyv03 (Post 9194330)
I choose Cashmere in my 16' Storm Blue SL cause' I thought it looked cool. After a couple years the driver seat had a "dirty" look to it,
I just picked up my Shiny New 19' Platimun and went with the charcoal.

Fishlet 04-06-2019 01:26 PM

Wish they had a red interior option like the new top end Camry
perhaps the new "orange" interior looks better in person, it doesn't look too good in pictures

sschumer 04-06-2019 03:19 PM

Fishlet, I've seen the new "orange" interior (Rakuda Tan) in person multiple times, in different lights. To each his own, but I thought it looked totally gaudy -- and especially so with the Red exterior which, ironically, Nissan chose to use to debut the 2019's in LA.

sschumer 04-14-2019 01:12 PM

For those that chose the Cashmere leather, I'm most interested to know: If you've had for awhile, has it been a challenge to keep clean? My dealer tells me he gets customers complaining about it all the time, asking the dealer to clean. My dealer added that every time they do, it removes a "layer" and over time (a few years) the Cashmere just won't hold up. In his opinion, no big deal if you're leasing, but if you buy and plan to keep the car much more than 3 years, his opinion is the Cashmere is a total no-go. Just interested in opinions on this specific topic.

robtroxel 04-14-2019 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by sschumer (Post 9199886)
For those that chose the Cashmere leather, I'm most interested to know: If you've had for awhile, has it been a challenge to keep clean? My dealer tells me he gets customers complaining about it all the time, asking the dealer to clean. My dealer added that every time they do, it removes a "layer" and over time (a few years) the Cashmere just won't hold up. In his opinion, no big deal if you're leasing, but if you buy and plan to keep the car much more than 3 years, his opinion is the Cashmere is a total no-go. Just interested in opinions on this specific topic.

I have to agree with you. The cashmere color also shows color transfer from bluejeans.

ALRONDON 04-14-2019 07:05 PM

I have had my blue platinum with cashmere for over a year and It looks great but you need to be on top of it all the time, not only with the jeans color transfers but also with the dust from the street if you open your windows . I really like how it looks and during the summer it was not as hot as my previous charcoal interior Infiniti. But it does requires a lot of maintenance..I didn't chose the charcoal interior because it looked too dark inside

sschumer 05-15-2019 03:06 PM

Thanks Alrondon. Has anyone here had the Cashmere Leather 2 or more years? Really curious how it's holding up long term.

rbaker100 05-15-2019 03:30 PM

I had the Cashmere leather in my 2016 Plat and , although it was not as hot in the summer as the Charcoal, it was a PITA to maintain. Jean transfer was prominent and required consistent cleaning with Griot's leather treatment to clean monthly. Looks great but changed to Charcoal in my 2019 Plat.

sschumer 06-16-2019 09:10 AM

rbaker100, that's pretty much what I'd expect the experience to be after 3 years of having the Cashmere. And after having the Charcoal now for a bit, are you happy with it?