8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Detailed Review of 2019 Maxima Platinum Reserve

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 07:30 AM

Detailed Review of 2019 Maxima Platinum Reserve

So after owning for a couple weeks, here's the verdict. For those who don't want to read the details below, my 2016 Platinum was probably my best, most reliable car ever (and comfortable).
Compared with other cars on the market, my 2016 Maxima maybe got a 7.5 or 8.0 out of 10
(I've owned about 20 new cars in my lifetime). For reference, 9-10 are absolutely stunning cars which I can't afford. So the Maxima rating is very good/excellent.
The 2019 Platinum Reserve? 5.5 or 6.0. Nissan "broke" too many things (quality + infotainment + ride quality), while not addressing simple (shift paddles) and complex (more power?).

Exterior
- Compared side-by-side with the 2016, the 2019 is much better looking. It's sharper, more modern, the Infiniti wheels look great, and the lights look cool.
Over time, recognizing the new lights have "faded" away - I don't notice them, at all.
- They removed the camera (actually put it behind the Nissan hamburger) to clean up the front end. More on this below.
- Speaking of lighting (I'm going to put this here), they didn't properly install the CHMSL (third light). So red light is projected higher on the defroster wires. This is the first of a number of quality lapses.
- The front headlights that everyone is going gaga over also have some "hot spots" - lines in the lighting - which have become distracting at night.
- Also related to lights, the auto high beam implementation (push stalk forward) is stupid. That should turn brights on - period. Put auto high beams somewhere else.
- While I can't prove it (I don't think), the Carnelian Red Tint Coat (+$395) really looks unique (close to, but still not as fancy as, Mazda Soul Red Crystal - see here: https://insidemazda.mazdausa.com/the...l-red-crystal/)

Ride comfort
- The ride is definitely stiffer. 18" > 19" wheels make a huge impact.
- I would say "harsher" when coupled when much heavier steering (you can also feel the road through the steering wheel)
This is only a fair comparison because you can't choose - you get 19" on SR, Platinum, and Platinum Reserve
- Still boggles my mind (in a bad way) why a $44k car lacks shift paddles, when a $19k econobox and my minivan both have it (among many, many others). This is a "4DSC" - or not.

Interior
- Rakuda Tan seat color is definitely cool and unique.
- The slippery slidey (coating) has somewhat gone away. Seats are still very smooth - that's the point of semi-aniline - but it's better than in showroom.
- It's a lot quieter inside - I think due to active noise cancellation. Tire noise is noticeable.
- Black headliner is very nice compared to the old car (grey).
- I know some folks prefer a "lighter" cabin color - but the seat color helps lighten it up.
As an aside, my 2016 Platinum seats (black/charcoal) looked grey in most light, thanks to the diamond stitching
- The parking sensor/assistant will beep even AFTER you turn off the screen. In my old car, I could nuke them (temporarily). No more. Annoying.
Side-note - there are two additional central sensors in the rear (previously were four total - outboard). But Nissan's interns responsible for the Monroney didn't update it. True story.
- The audio bass is WAY too high and abusive. Even turned all the way down.
- Can't use surround sound on XM -or- FM (you'd think you could w/ HD Radio)
- Quality again - the seat stitching and final QA / QC (quality check) was done by a homeless blind person on drugs.

Infotainment (deserves its own category)
- I was hoping they fixed a lot of my niggles with my 2016, but lo and behold, they made things worse.
- First, the screen actually looks "blurry". Like it's higher resolution, but blurry. Figure that one out.
- Second, the map screen is AWFUL. Horrific. It's blurry, there is a lag on turns, and traffic is a total crap-shoot (see below).
You can't choose a map color any more - it's "highlight roads" (black outline on roads), "highlight street names" (black outline on text), or "highlight traffic" (pop quiz - guess what that is?)
3D maps aren't really 3D. No more variable horizon (which I loved - I've had the Nissan horizon since 2008...).

- The camera is blurry as #&!@*, and the colors are awful (I've tried adjusting everything).
And there is a massive lag - my Nest cameras viewed from across the world are more responsive.
- It now takes 2-3 button and screen presses to do what I use to do with one. Like, for instance, get to the SiriusXM channel preset screen
- Bouncing between CarPlay and Nissan is okay - some other manufacturers designed it better (RAM, BMW, Honda), others worse (Toyota, BMW, Honda-some cars, M-B).
- And speaking of traffic, you can use SiriusXM Traffic (formerly NavTraffic) -OR- "Premium Traffic" (uses your home or public or phone/hotspot WiFi). The problem is that 1) it's either/or, buried in the menus, and 2) there is a huge lag on when traffic actually shows up. I've had it take up to 5 minutes which doesn't help much.
- So the car can use your phone for points of interest (destinations) in addition to traffic. This replaced the goofy Google online search in my 2016.
I'm not sure if this gets disabled once NissanConnect Services run out (I ain't paying for it).
- CarPlay worked great - until the entire system crashed upon startup. First it started lagging (like no recognition of button press, then 10 presses at once), then it stopped recognizing every iPhone.
Solution: turn off car for an hour (alternative was to pull the battery)

Pricing
- I knew it was more expensive going in, but compared to other cars on the market, the Maxima has faltered.
- At least I didn't get stuck with $2000 - 4000 in "factory-installed" accent lighting, illuminated door plates, rear spoiler, chrome accents, etc.
Even Costco won't bail you out of that since they're not a "dealer-installed accessory."
- Total lease price increased about 14%. And this is with Nissan giving nearly 0% lease financing (money factor of 0.00003 = $64 over the entire life of the lease). Yes, you read that right.
I normally put nothing down, but last time I paid tax upfront, so the increase was more jarring (out-of-pocket monthly increase of 34%).
Old 01-27-2019, 09:25 AM

Couple more things:
- Heating/AC is all over the place. First it’s boiling hot at 66, then blowing cold air at 72. Like within 2 minutes.
- Intelligent cruise tweaked. Doesn’t spazz out harsh breaking when changing lanes (pulling behind semi), but “one car length” appears to be further. Still sensitive to red cars and brake lights
It will also inform you when you turn it on with a bunch of text which can’t be disabled
- Perforated leather on steering wheel goes all around. Previously only front
Which is helpful since the black leather part is wicked slick/smooth
- Bose logo moved from front center speaker to tweeters
- Beep entering/exiting camera can’t be disabled. Must be a totally different team who built this
- Door panels (interior) higher quality - old car squeaked
- The awful gold plastic trim hasn’t grown on me. I might take sandpaper to it
Old 01-27-2019, 10:16 AM

I appreciate your very thorough review since I have a loaded Platinum on order to arrive in early March. I have 500 bucks down but will most assuredly walk away if the numbers don't fall in line with future incentives. Just too much competition on price from the other brands. Nissan should be glad we are still buying sedans! I plan either buy it outright or lease if numbers mke sense.
De-contenting just really makes me mad. Especially if they removed the "birds eye" view on the navigation system. Another thing I noticed is that the center rear seat passenger headrest is now a moulded hump instead of an adjustable headrest. On my 2010 premium, the rear armrest actually had heat and radio controls! Rear windows were also auto up and down!
Your statement about "there is no front camera" is incorrect since as you stated it now resides in a more refined elevated plastic covered logo.

Now then, with your QC issues. I'd have to stand firm on getting a proper working system. Somethings gotta be wrong with all that lag time. Perhaps a software update or something will do the trick. Same thing with the upholstery. My 2016 Platinum has very uneven lines on both front seat back bolsters on the lower bolster curve just above the seat bottoms on both sides. I won't take the car if the new 2019 has this issue. None of the brochures show this problem either. Thank you for making your experiences public and I hope you will report what is being done to fix the issues! I am going to continue to shop other brands Like the Lincoln MKz sedan. Loaded they sticker for 10 grand more than the Maxima yet they are offering around 500 a month on a 39 month lease with 5 K down. 400 HP TTurbo V-6. Would rather hang with the Maxima but I'm keeping another option rather than be mad for 3 years.

Best of luck!

Last edited by robtroxel; 01-27-2019 at 10:18 AM.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by robtroxel
De-contenting just really makes me mad. Especially if they removed the "birds eye" view on the navigation system. Another thing I noticed is that the center rear seat passenger headrest is now a moulded hump instead of an adjustable headrest.
To be clear, the "3D" is one angle, and it's not really a high angle. Probably due to the new map (doesn't allow it).
Second, my hump wasn't properly installed. I have photos - it's awful.

Your statement about "there is no front camera" is incorrect since as you stated it now resides in a more refined elevated plastic covered logo.
I meant that the camera isn't exposed, looking at the front/exterior from the outside.
There was nothing wrong with it before - it rarely got covered in rain, snow, dirt - and if it did, was super easy to clean off.

Perhaps a software update or something will do the trick. Same thing with the upholstery.
Since software updates are now available over the air (via Wi-Fi), we can hope. And it's the same system for the Maxima, Altima, Rogue, Kicks, Titan, etc. Otherwise we'd be screwed.
Re upholstery, the installation was seriously flawed. I'm afraid to have them replace half of the rear seat, as it will be totally mismatched.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:44 AM

I would request the whole back seat, top and bottom, just to ensure the dye lot match. After all this is the their version of the "rich corinthian leather" which should be their showcase product.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:35 AM

This is pretty bad. Second (inside) photo tells a better story. Exterior looks like a pimple on the RIGHT side.

Old 01-27-2019, 02:31 PM

I see your point. Time to get on the war path. Just very disappointing their QC thinks this is OK
Old 01-27-2019, 03:17 PM

Lindros,

So sorry to hear your dissapointed with the new "updated" Maxima. Perhaps you can trade it back for a brand new 2018 for no loss? Sounds like they're giving all their love to SUVs these days, which is a shame because the Max could continue to sell well (for a sedan) if they don't screw it up.

I think I'll plan on keeping my 17 for a good long time.

Old 01-27-2019, 03:28 PM

Lindros2,

Did you have any chance of inspecting before signing? I would be so pissed and would not have signed on that one. That QC was not missed. They simply passed it on through giving zero f’s and allowing warranty to take care of it.
Old 01-27-2019, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild
Did you have any chance of inspecting before signing? I would be so pissed and would not have signed on that one. That QC was not missed. They simply passed it on through giving zero f’s and allowing warranty to take care of it.
Yeah - it's fine (it'll be fine). It's a lease.
I saw the rear headrest *after* I signed.

Oh, P.S. - the new lane keeping assist is completely and totally useless.
Compared to our other two cars, it misses about 60-80% of lanes.
No wonder Nissan didn't put the semi-autonomous tech in the Maxima - it would fail.
Old 01-27-2019, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Fishlet
I think I'll plan on keeping my 17 for a good long time.
If my car keeps Nissan from selling at least one (additional) new vehicle, I'm satisfied.

Keep your 2017 until it can't run any more. I think it's a gem.
Old 01-27-2019, 05:21 PM

I see your point. Time to get on the war path. Just very disappointing their QC thinks this is OK
You can see all of the stitching looks "hand-done".

There is a chunk - a CHUNK - out of my front passenger seat.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:56 PM

I was tempted to extend my lease on the 2016 until the 2019 became available. At this point, judging from the reviews, I am happy that I chose to go for the 2018 Platinum.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by jc53
I was tempted to extend my lease on the 2016 until the 2019 became available. At this point, judging from the reviews, I am happy that I chose to go for the 2018 Platinum.
I too, did extend my lease on my 2016 by 4 months. I just emailed my sales rep who helped me order a 2019 Platinum and told him to review this thread. When it comes in (March) , if not right I will move on. I do hate to jack around but no sense not getting it right to begin with.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:20 PM

Looks like the bigger wheels have slowed the Platinum down by 0.1 to 5.8 seconds. Compared to previous Platinum 5.7 seconds.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...a-sedan-drive/

Not noticeable but had a feeling the bigger wheels would put more drag on the car itself.

With the 3.5-liter V-6 making the same 300 horsepower and 261 lb-ft of torque as before, the Maxima's acceleration hasn't improved. That's not a complaint, however: Our 2019 Maxima Platinum delivered a brisk 5.8-second zero-to-60-mph time at our test track (a negligible 0.1 second behind the last Maxima we tested), scooted from 50 to 70 mph in a quick 3.9 seconds, and covered the quarter-mile in 14.3 seconds at 101 mph.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:33 PM

Looks like the bigger wheels have slowed the Platinum down by 0.1 to 5.8 seconds.
Not noticeable but had a feeling the bigger wheels would put more drag on the car itself.
I'm telling you man - the steering is a LOT heavier. Like my left arm is actually sore from turning (dead serious).
In other news, the black painted mirror (interior) has orange peel (effect). How sloppy can their people be... really?!?

Old 01-30-2019, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by lindros2
I'm telling you man - the steering is a LOT heavier. Like my left arm is actually sore from turning (dead serious).
In other news, the black painted mirror (interior) has orange peel (effect). How sloppy can their people be... really?!?

Unreal. You are finding more problems with this 19 then I have read about 16-18. Unacceptable as much as the car is. Maybe Nissan is at their don’t give a damn point with the Maxima. Just get a few more sales etc before they drop the hammer on it. On a lighter note. I am waiting on a 2019 Toyota Camry XSE V6 Galactic Aqua Mica fully optioned out to come in around Feb 16th or shortly after the dealer told me. If we like it and a deal can be made. The Maxima will be gone.

I said nothing from Toyota or Honda interested me. But, I did test the Accord Touring and Avalon Touring. Did not care for either. Can’t get past the turbo 4 banger and look. Avalon can’t do the front grill and interior with that crazy screen. The Camry on the other hand I do like inside/out plus it has a V6.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:34 PM

Looks like the bigger wheels have slowed the Platinum down by 0.1 to 5.8 seconds. Compared to previous Platinum 5.7 seconds.

With the 3.5-liter V-6 making the same 300 horsepower and 261 lb-ft of torque as before, the Maxima's acceleration hasn't improved. That's not a complaint, however: Our 2019 Maxima Platinum delivered a brisk 5.8-second zero-to-60-mph time at our test track (a negligible 0.1 second behind the last Maxima we tested), scooted from 50 to 70 mph in a quick 3.9 seconds, and covered the quarter-mile in 14.3 seconds at 101 mph.
Yeah I've heard bigger wheels will have a negative effect on acceleration.
That's why I put 16" on mine

Old 01-30-2019, 05:38 PM

Lindros, I wouldn't be surprised if you got one of the first cars to roll off the assembly line. Just too many issues. I'm not a fan of Leasing cars, but good thing you'll be able to walk away from this one.

Hopefully Nissan gets their act together soon. The 8th gen is the first Max I've ever owned and hopefully it won't be the last.

Old 01-30-2019, 06:32 PM

To me what is so impressive about the quickness of my 17 isn't off the line, it's when I'm behind slow people on the highway (or even on a normal street going say 30 mph) and I punch it to get around them. Always makes me smile. So... I no nothing of what's good for a 50 to 70 time (or 30 to 50 etc.) but I'm betting that the Maxima compares better with other cars with that then it does from 0-60?
Old 01-30-2019, 11:18 PM

Well at least the addressed the prob of many saying the steering is too light for what they want to call the "4DSC". The heavier feel makes it feel more in line with the "4DSC" moniker and prior gen Maximas which had great steering feel, especially in the SE trim👍😁
Old 01-31-2019, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
Well at least the addressed the prob of many saying the steering is too light for what they want to call the "4DSC". The heavier feel makes it feel more in line with the "4DSC" moniker and prior gen Maximas which had great steering feel, especially in the SE trim👍😁
You have to put that in context.
Heavy steering - at speed - is great.

Heavy steering - pulling into my garage or in parking lots - is not.
If you haven't already, read C&D's review of the Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio (re: steering).
Old 01-31-2019, 06:41 AM

Larger wheels (not rims) and tires often mean a heavier assembly that does detract from the acceleration you mentioned. That is unless you go for a "Forged" wheel (not rim) and pay attention to tire weights. So a tenth of a second might roughly equate to 1 car length on a quarter mile drag race. In reality 99% of us would not notice the difference. The could also be a fuel economy penality so I am hoping to get reports on that as well. Thanks to Lindros2 for staying on the case. We do hope you get things worked out with yours.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:49 AM

Unreal. You are finding more problems with this 19 then I have read about 16-18. Unacceptable as much as the car is. Maybe Nissan is at their don’t give a damn point with the Maxima. Just get a few more sales etc before they drop the hammer on it. On a lighter note. I am waiting on a 2019 Toyota Camry XSE V6 Galactic Aqua Mica fully optioned out to come in around Feb 16th or shortly after the dealer told me. If we like it and a deal can be made. The Maxima will be gone.

I said nothing from Toyota or Honda interested me. But, I did test the Accord Touring and Avalon Touring. Did not care for either. Can’t get past the turbo 4 banger and look. Avalon can’t do the front grill and interior with that crazy screen. The Camry on the other hand I do like inside/out plus it has a V6.
The Camry is a fine car but it is not in the same league as the Maxima. No power steering wheel adjuster,power rear sunshade, tire fill warning chime, no quilted upholstery, smaller tire/wheels, smaller brakes, So So Navigation. You will see yourself coming and going

Last edited by robtroxel; 01-31-2019 at 11:05 AM.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:20 AM

Learn me something Rob. When you say "wheels (not rims)", what are you referring to. I thought "rims" was just a more youthful substitute for wheels. I usually say, wheels and tires, but sometimes I catch myself saying, "chrome rims". Thx
Old 01-31-2019, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by compyelc4
Learn me something Rob. When you say "wheels (not rims)", what are you referring to. I thought "rims" was just a more youthful substitute for wheels. I usually say, wheels and tires, but sometimes I catch myself saying, "chrome rims". Thx
Thanks for asking that, I thought I was the only one that was confused.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:03 AM

To me calling a wheel a "rim" means you are talking about the " rim" part and not the whole wheel assembly. Like calling an Engine a "crankshaft". A "rim" is a lazy term for a wheel , I get that, but not correct use of the term.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:55 PM

The Camry is a fine car but it is not in the same league as the Maxima. No power steering wheel adjuster,power rear sunshade, tire fill warning chime, no quilted upholstery, smaller tire/wheels, smaller brakes, So So Navigation. You will see yourself coming and going
I pretty much know this going in. Since the Camry does not compete or compare to the Maxima. Avalon is the competition to Maxima.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:43 PM

You have to put that in context.
Heavy steering - at speed - is great.

Heavy steering - pulling into my garage or in parking lots - is not.
If you haven't already, read C&D's review of the Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio (re: steering).
Well the low speed aspect is not good, prior SE's had good steering feel all around.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:20 AM

I pretty much know this going in. Since the Camry does not compete or compare to the Maxima. Avalon is the competition to Maxima.
There is alot to like about the Camry, Avalon, and LeX 350. I cross shopped all of these cars but even the Lexus 350 came up short but cost 10 grand more. The Maxima still has the edge in equipment and performance,
Old 02-01-2019, 06:19 AM

lindros2, per your comment "While I can't prove it (I don't think), the Carnelian Red Tint Coat (+$395) really looks unique (close to, but still not as fancy as, Mazda Soul Red Crystal - see here: https://insidemazda.mazdausa.com/the...l-red-crystal/)," you're right, and it can be proven -- the Maxima's Carnelian Red color is unique, per following:

Old 02-01-2019, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by sschumer
lindros2, per your comment "While I can't prove it (I don't think), the Carnelian Red Tint Coat (+$395) really looks unique (close to, but still not as fancy as, Mazda Soul Red Crystal - see here: https://insidemazda.mazdausa.com/the...l-red-crystal/)," you're right, and it can be proven -- the Maxima's Carnelian Red color is unique, per following:
Yeah, but I mean you can get it on the entry level Maxima, and it never looked that special.

I guess the Altima and Sentra use Scarlet Ember Tint Coat, which is also +$395.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:17 PM

Ah, the fun with fancy color names.

I wonder which auto maker is going to come out with "BLOOD RED" first?

I love my Pearl Blue... but at times wish it were available in a slightly brighter shade.

Old 02-02-2019, 07:32 AM

- Bose logo moved from front center speaker to tweeters

Funny, my '17 has the Bose logos on the tweeters. Probably just carried that over.
Old 02-02-2019, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Fishlet
Ah, the fun with fancy color names.

I wonder which auto maker is going to come out with "BLOOD RED" first?

I love my Pearl Blue... but at times wish it were available in a slightly brighter shade.

"Blood Red" - that's a chuckle!
Old 02-02-2019, 05:20 PM

Blood Red

For folks who haven't seen it in person - it's a pretty complex color. I also included a photo of the wheel w/ Goodyear Eagle Touring tire, and the side of the taillight (they removed the "4DSC" easter egg).

Old 02-02-2019, 07:38 PM

4DSC still on the headlamps? I always hated the 4DSC reference.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:52 PM

To me calling a wheel a "rim" means you are talking about the " rim" part and not the whole wheel assembly. Like calling an Engine a "crankshaft". A "rim" is a lazy term for a wheel , I get that, but not correct use of the term.
wow.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:12 PM

then sue every ad firm and car magazine. Even C&D does it - check out every review.
Shoot. Search for rim - “alloy wheel” is far more prevalent.

A wheel is a wheel.
A tire goes around the wheel.
Together they can also be called a wheel assembly, which is way too much effort.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:30 AM

then sue every ad firm and car magazine. Even C&D does it - check out every review.
Shoot. Search for rim - “alloy wheel” is far more prevalent.

A wheel is a wheel.
A tire goes around the wheel.
Together they can also be called a wheel assembly, which is way too much effort.
Then be lazy - use rim! Still incorrect. What have you heard about your rear seat upholstery?

Quick Reply: Detailed Review of 2019 Maxima Platinum Reserve