Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   8th Generation Maxima (2016-) (https://maxima.org/forums/8th-generation-maxima-2016-88/)
-   -   Fuel economy reset (https://maxima.org/forums/8th-generation-maxima-2016/703532-fuel-economy-reset.html)

candt 01-27-2019 10:14 AM

Fuel economy reset

I noticed today that for some reason my fuel economy was reset, as well as my trip odometer. The car asked me if I wanted to reset my best fuel economy, and its been below zero here in Wisconsin for a little while now, so Im not getting great fuel mileage. Has anyone else had this happen? Does it have something to do with the cold weather?

robtroxel 01-27-2019 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by candt (Post 9193909)
I noticed today that for some reason my fuel economy was reset, as well as my trip odometer. The car asked me if I wanted to reset my best fuel economy, and its been below zero here in Wisconsin for a little while now, so Im not getting great fuel mileage. Has anyone else had this happen? Does it have something to do with the cold weather?

My "Best Fuel economy" reset itself when my new battery was installed on my 41K mile 2016 Maxima. Was not happy since I had a 35.2 MPG showing each time I was in the car after shut down. Since it is so cold, perhaps the battery voltage drop did this. This is independant of the other MPG readings you get while cruising.

NisCal17 01-27-2019 10:35 AM

Mine was reset too.. it happens due to low temperatures. I’ve heard from a few people last winter that they were having this odd reset

SLZanoMax 01-27-2019 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by robtroxel (Post 9193912)
My "Best Fuel economy" reset itself when my new battery was installed on my 41K mile 2016 Maxima. Was not happy since I had a 35.2 MPG showing each time I was in the car after shut down. Since it is so cold, perhaps the battery voltage drop did this. This is independant of the other MPG readings you get while cruising.

You got 35.2 mpg, now is that with 87 octane or the preferred premium? I'm running a constant 91 and I haven't seen 30's since my trip where I did get up to 34.

robtroxel 01-28-2019 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by SLZanoMax (Post 9193936)
You got 35.2 mpg, now is that with 87 octane or the preferred premium? I'm running a constant 91 and I haven't seen 30's since my trip where I did get up to 34.

Yes, got mid 30s on several occasions running a steady 70 mph on flat interstate roads. Must admit that is not the norm in cold weather. More like 31-32 mpg in the winter all on (drum roll) REGULAR!. This will pull some snorts about "if you can't afford premium crowd" that you are somehow mistreating your Maxima. ETC

MoopMeep 01-28-2019 08:49 AM

Last week here in Massachusetts we had a few cold days. Mine got reset too.

Last year (feb 18) I asked the dealer about this. He seemed to know about it but said Nissan hadn't provided them with any feedback on what to do.

lionel2013 01-28-2019 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by robtroxel (Post 9193968)
Yes, got mid 30s on several occasions running a steady 70 mph on flat interstate roads. Must admit that is not the norm in cold weather. More like 31-32 mpg in the winter all on (drum roll) REGULAR!. This will pull some snorts about "if you can't afford premium crowd" that you are somehow mistreating your Maxima. ETC

You and many others are misunderstanding the issue. Since premium is recommended, not required, of course you are not damaging your car by putting in regular. Premium is recommended, though, because premium gasolines have more detergents and additives, which, over time, will keep your engine cleaner.

To put it differently: if I go to the doctor and he recommends I do something that will be to my benefit, I will do it if i can. Gas is relatively cheap nowadays, and I would argue anyone who has $30k+ to spend on a Maxima should be able to afford premium gas, or at least mid-grade.

It is for the same reason I get a car wash once a week at least now, in the cold and snowy season. Do I have to? Does Nissan require it? No, they don't even recommend it. But I do it anyway to keep as much salt off my brand new car until snow is out of the picture, because I know what will happen, over time, if I don't do it [been there, done that with my 2005 Max].

240tomax 01-28-2019 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by lionel2013 (Post 9193992)
You and many others are misunderstanding the issue. Since premium is recommended, not required, of course you are not damaging your car by putting in regular. Premium is recommended, though, because premium gasolines have more detergents and additives, which, over time, will keep your engine cleaner.

To put it differently: if I go to the doctor and he recommends I do something that will be to my benefit, I will do it if i can. Gas is relatively cheap nowadays, and I would argue anyone who has $30k+ to spend on a Maxima should be able to afford premium gas, or at least mid-grade.

It is for the same reason I get a car wash once a week at least now, in the cold and snowy season. Do I have to? Does Nissan require it? No, they don't even recommend it. But I do it anyway to keep as much salt off my brand new car until snow is out of the picture, because I know what will happen, over time, if I don't do it [been there, done that with my 2005 Max].

Check what your owners manual indicates about washing your car.

lionel2013 01-29-2019 07:35 AM

<<Check what your owners manual indicates about washing your car.>>

Yep, I did, and this is what it says:

<<Do not use car washes that use acid in the detergent. Some car washes, especially brushless ones, use some acid for cleaning. The acid may react with some plastic vehicle components, causing them to crack. This could affect their appearance, and also could cause them not to function properly. Always check with your car wash to confirm that acid is not used.>>

OK, so what's your point?