8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Carplay causes intermittent power off/power cycle of the stereo system

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 07:07 PM

Carplay causes intermittent power off/power cycle of the stereo system

I bought a 2017 Platinum a couple of months ago and the USB #1 had an issue so they replaced it under warranty. So, this is the first time I've tried out carplay.

I have a 30 minute commute and twice this morning while listening to a podcast on youtube and the google map on the display, the power to the stereo went off and rebooted. The same thing happened on the drive home once.

This power cycling never happened once in the last 2 months when I wasn't using the usb port and carplay.

I'll check back with the dealer when I get time, but I thought I'd check and see if this is a known issue with usb/carplay.

thanks!
Old 02-12-2019, 11:53 AM

Did you recently update software on iPhone? Because I know for fact back in 2017 CarPlay was broken by software update and we had to wait for major update to get CarPlay to work again. Maybe this time they broke it again
Old 02-12-2019, 03:41 PM

I haven't updated in a while... just checked and I'm due to update to 12.1.4.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:30 PM

Try to use another cable
Old 02-12-2019, 06:09 PM

Will do.

Today the system never shut down, but I didn't have the google map up while listening to youtube. Not the end of the world if the only way it crashes is when I have google maps up while using the phone for audio. However... that's the same as just using blue tooth so I guess it defeats the purpose - other than charging the phone.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:59 AM

I think I have that issue. I have had my car (SL) for about a 1 year, the radio has rebooted maybe 3-4 times. Seems to occur when using carplay but I tend to use that most of the time to listen to music anyhow. Seems to happen in spurts, it did it 2 times last summer and then was ok for awhile and then it recently did it a couple of time but it seems to be ok lately.

When the radio reboots the main display above the steering wheel also reboots for me. Kinda scary the first time it happened, I was wondering if the whole car was in the process of shutting down.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:25 AM

Just chiming in to say that my '17 has done the exact same thing while using Waze and Pandora (via CarPlay) at the same time. I would say it has happened less than 10 times so far. I too have a 30 minute commute to work and I use Waze/Pandora pretty much every day. It also gets a little "glitchy" from time to time too. I can't reproduce it because I can go a week or so with zero issues and then it will glitch out on me almost daily for a week and then back to normal again. It is frustrating. But using Waze on CarPlay is so frickin nice I refuse to stop. LOL

My guess is it is the headunit software. Can the headunit software be updated/patched?
Old 02-15-2019, 11:28 AM

I tried it today with a different cord, and it didn't shut down so hopefully that was the issue but it's only one day... so probably not.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:00 PM

Are you using google maps with satellite view? My display kept crashing when I used the satellite view after google maps became available with carplay. The solution was not to use that view.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The same thing happens to me when using Google Maps in Satellite view. The music starts cutting in and out (regardless of radio or via carplay) and Google Maps will freeze and/or become extremely slow. I have tried multiple cables and phones to test, but it behaves the same way whenever Google maps is used with satellite view. If I change the view to the simple map view, the app behaves normally. It's as if the processor of the head unit can't handle all of the imaging data coming from the phone. I would love to get this fixed but I don't know if Nissan has a fix for this?