Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   8th Generation Maxima (2016-) (https://maxima.org/forums/8th-generation-maxima-2016-88/)
-   -   Cabin air filter and frigi fresh service (https://maxima.org/forums/8th-generation-maxima-2016/703727-cabin-air-filter-frigi-fresh-service.html)

FattiesGoneWild 02-22-2019 12:31 AM

Cabin air filter and frigi fresh service

Dealer recently performed this. That cabin filter is a PITA to get to and let them do it. I got a chuckle because I seen them having issues as well getting to it and replacing it. Now my question. Is it possible they installed it the wrong way? I seem to have what sounds like a whistle going on at the bottom where the filter is at. I did check the cover piece and it is on. Maybe it’s just better air flow coming through now?

wild willy 02-22-2019 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild (Post 9195862)
Dealer recently performed this. That cabin filter is a PITA to get to and let them do it. I got a chuckle because I seen them having issues as well getting to it and replacing it. Now my question. Is it possible they installed it the wrong way? I seem to have what sounds like a whistle going on at the bottom where the filter is at. I did check the cover piece and it is on. Maybe it’s just better air flow coming through now?

Just based on experience....if the dealer did it...there is a good chance they did something wrong. The techs that work on your car are not usually the sharpest knives in the drawers......My Altima is a PIA to change....But I do it....The quest is a breeze....not sure why they did what they did

FattiesGoneWild 02-22-2019 10:17 AM

15k cabin air filter replacement. I guess they throw in the frigi fresh treatment as well. Which was actually a good thing as I would get a musty odor in the car sometimes. We also had those horrible fires last year and the smoke was crazy in Oregon. Maybe my cabin air filter was really dirty and it’s just better air flow coming through now and what I am hearing. I don’t know.

MadMax07SL 02-22-2019 11:21 AM

I'm going to guess the door isn't on correctly. I remember ours new wasn't on the car correctly. I spent about 20 minutes messing with it and gave up. Car had other warrantee work, loose fog light and a bad headliner, so we asked them to solve that problem too. But there was condensation all around it, and a similar whistle...

wild willy 02-22-2019 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by MadMax07SL (Post 9195904)
I'm going to guess the door isn't on correctly. I remember ours new wasn't on the car correctly. I spent about 20 minutes messing with it and gave up. Car had other warrantee work, loose fog light and a bad headliner, so we asked them to solve that problem too. But there was condensation all around it, and a similar whistle...

The door on the altima is a major pain in the arse

FattiesGoneWild 02-22-2019 07:04 PM

I told them about it and they said bring it in. Had a master tech look at it and they had to order a whole new piece. Suppose to be in on Tuesday. Told my service guy just be honest with me if they broke it. Since I mentioned I seen them struggling with it. He said they did not and seemed to be a faulty piece from the factory once changed. They also left the cover piece off to stop the whistling until the part comes in.

robtroxel 02-23-2019 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild (Post 9195936)
I told them about it and they said bring it in. Had a master tech look at it and they had to order a whole new piece. Suppose to be in on Tuesday. Told my service guy just be honest with me if they broke it. Since I mentioned I seen them struggling with it. He said they did not and seemed to be a faulty piece from the factory once changed. They also left the cover piece off to stop the whistling until the part comes in.

My last cabin airfilter change was punctutated by finding the small housing door on the passengers floor, a day after the service. I tried to get it back in but ended up returning to the dealership for the fix. What was Nissan thinking in this design? A far cry from Honda sensible back of the glove box access.

FattiesGoneWild 03-13-2019 06:36 PM

Got the car back today. I was provided a 2019 Rogue Sport SV AWD. What a complete DOG! No power what so ever. Any ways. They did have to tear into the dash and raise it up to get this fixed. They replaced the front heating unit assembly and replaced the coolant. Said it was warped really bad and not installed properly from the factory. So replacing the cabin filter revealed this issue. Apparently I was the first Maxima to come in with this issue. Their master tech which done the work had never seen it before on the Maxima. No telling how many are out there possibly with this unknown issue until you replace the cabin air filter to find out about it. Someone goofed on the production line.

robtroxel 03-14-2019 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild (Post 9197549)
Got the car back today. I was provided a 2019 Rogue Sport SV AWD. What a complete DOG! No power what so ever. Any ways. They did have to tear into the dash and raise it up to get this fixed. They replaced the front heating unit assembly and replaced the coolant. Said it was warped really bad and not installed properly from the factory. So replacing the cabin filter revealed this issue. Apparently I was the first Maxima to come in with this issue. Their master tech which done the work had never seen it before on the Maxima. No telling how many are out there possibly with this unknown issue until you replace the cabin air filter to find out about it. Someone goofed on the production line.

Thanks for your follow up report. So glad this was discovered while Nissan pays! Anyway it got me to thinking about the 2019 Maxima's which are equiped with front knee airbags that emerge just below the glove box. This must make the air filter change out a real treat for anyone trying to do this.

NisCal17 03-14-2019 11:54 AM

I replaced cabin filter on my own. It’s pretty simple but you need to do it properly. But this friging cover is pain in the *** to put back on. It’s actually very simple just need to know how to do it. I always forget how I put it back that’s why it’s a pain.

calabs 03-20-2019 02:18 PM

I replaced it myself as well. It's not that hard, but I recommend using nitrile gloves or equivalent so you don't chew up your hands like I did! Here is the video I referred to as a guide.

https://youtu.be/p_8tXo5DKhA

BrianShaw 03-21-2019 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by NisCal17 (Post 9197593)
I replaced cabin filter on my own. It’s pretty simple but you need to do it properly. But this friging cover is pain in the *** to put back on. It’s actually very simple just need to know how to do it. I always forget how I put it back that’s why it’s a pain.

I wish you could explain how...

im struggling with that right now... and understand why the manual says “take it to the dealer”. What a pain in the neck for what should be a simple user service item.

the video in post 11 really helped. The angle of the cover when sliding it in place seems to be the tricky part that I did not immediately master.