Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   8th Generation Maxima (2016-) (https://maxima.org/forums/8th-generation-maxima-2016-88/)
-   -   2017 SL Recently bought, had questions about whether some noises are normal? (https://maxima.org/forums/8th-generation-maxima-2016/703929-2017-sl-recently-bought-had-questions-about-whether-some-noises-normal.html)

Goldpanda94 03-16-2019 11:02 AM

2017 SL Recently bought, had questions about whether some noises are normal?

Hi! I recently got a used 2017 SL with 20,000 miles and I had some questions about things I may want to get fixed. But I'm not sure if they're just par for the course or actual problems?

First off, I love the car, runs great and its quick, exactly what I needed. Most of these questions just seem to be quality of life things but I'm hoping maybe you guys could shed some light on them and hopefully speed up the process of getting them addressed if you have any clues as to fixes.

1) The cupholder area vibrates more than my old Altima used to when stopped with my foot on the brake and RPMs around like 500/600? This normal? Like I can see the water in my water bottle vibrating rattling. When I start moving again its smooth.

2) The trunk slams shut, other cars I've had, the trunk usually feels like it dampens a bit or springs back a little resistance when you're just about to close it but this one just falls and slams shut, This normal? I do have the sport spoiler installed, not sure if the extra weight is a factor?

3) Light clunk when going over bumps from the rear of the car? From reading the forums it may be the TSB# NTB17-107? I have the fasterner for the two rod on the ceiling of the trunk and those seem pretty tight. Someone mentioned a rear shock mount replacement in one of the other threads?

4) When I put the car in reverse, sometimes I'll hear a clank like two pieces of metal slapping together when the car starts moving and then another when applying light braking. This is when I reverse out of my garage. Happens once and then doesn't happen again until the next time I put the car in reverse. Loud enough to hear inside with windows up and no music playing.

5) Sometimes I can hear some buzzing from the right and left behind me? I think it may be the noise cancelling speaker things on the sides of the ceiling? Happens once in a while.

6) Is it possible to develop a pano sunroof rattle so soon too? I think in the mornings when its cold, I can hear some rattling from the rear pano but not 100% sure.

7) Also my brakes squeal like crazy when in the cold. The techs have said there's a lot of pad left so it must be something else. Squeals at low speeds and light braking

Also here's a pic of it after I got it. Love the car!

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/maxima....56baa2ca0.jpeg

Thanks!

candt 03-16-2019 02:05 PM

I dont have an answer for any of your issues, but can attest to item 4, as I have this same noise, and would also like to know more details about this.

compyelc4 03-16-2019 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by candt (Post 9197771)
I dont have an answer for any of your issues, but can attest to item 4, as I have this same noise, and would also like to know more details about this.

1) Normal compared to my '17 SL with same mileage as yours'. Just a tad more vibration at idle than my Altima. Due to Altima having an even no. of cylinders vs Max having odd no. of cylinders. I must say though, that at idle with trans. in neutral the idle is buttery smooth.
2) Normal compared to mine.
3) Not normal compared to mine, but normal to others' Max's on here, esp. SR.
4) Not normal compared to mine. I do notice however that I get this sometimes after putting her in the garage wet, esp. during winter salt and sludge.
5) Not normal compared to mine.
6) Not normal compared to mine. If I understand that "pano" (sic) is rear package shelf. I think this would be "possible" with any vehicle.
7) Not normal compared to mine, but others here have complained of same squeal.

NisCal17 03-17-2019 07:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
1) I don’t think it’s normal but I have it. Just recently started to noticed( low rpms )

2) Yes, it slams. Especially noticeable when license plate is not loosely screwed.

3) It has this clunk. I did a bit of research and found it could be multiple issues. My personal opinion it could be plastic cover behind the back seat where the lock is. See the video.

4) This is common issue. It’s Nissan’s factory brake shims. I believe they eventually run out of grease or something. I started to notice those pop noises at around 15K. Also when driving out of driveway. But then it disappears until next time. Anyways it’s brake shims.

5) no comment

6) no comment

7) Yes, again it’s Nissan’s factory pads quality. They squeal at first then after a few stops they get normal. ( But they also will squeal when they get super hot.)

anyways enjoy the car. Hopefully you will take time to work on those things and share with us so we could also do it.

2young2retire 03-17-2019 11:22 AM

Item no. 2. I had that issue with my 7th generation but not with my '17 Platinum. I think that when the dealer installed the spoiler on my 7th generation they did not change the springs and the weight was too much for them. The trunk on my new Max has to be pushed all the way down to latch. If I push the trunk down to the latch and let go it will rise about 10 inches. Apparently whoever installed the spoiler also installed the proper springs.

Mason Hatcher 03-17-2019 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by compyelc4 (Post 9197781)
1) Normal compared to my '17 SL with same mileage as yours'. Just a tad more vibration at idle than my Altima. Due to Altima having an even no. of cylinders vs Max having odd no. of cylinders. I must say though, that at idle with trans. in neutral the idle is buttery smooth.

What? The max is a V6. As in 6 cylinders. Six being an even number.
]

Goldpanda94 03-17-2019 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by 2young2retire (Post 9197822)
Item no. 2. I had that issue with my 7th generation but not with my '17 Platinum. I think that when the dealer installed the spoiler on my 7th generation they did not change the springs and the weight was too much for them. The trunk on my new Max has to be pushed all the way down to latch. If I push the trunk down to the latch and let go it will rise about 10 inches. Apparently whoever installed the spoiler also installed the proper springs.

Hmm that's interesting information, thanks for bringing that up.

Thanks for the answers so far guys. Very enlightening and helpful!

compyelc4 03-17-2019 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher (Post 9197833)
What? The max is a V6. As in 6 cylinders. Six being an even number.
]

Yeah I made that comment and thought how dumb that might have sounded. What I meant to say is the V6 has an uneven number of cylinders firing on each bank.

doug4cad 03-17-2019 07:02 PM

I switch my brakes out of my 2016 sr.
Bosch BP1338 QuietCast Premium Front Disc Brake Pad Set
36 dollars on amazon work like a charm.
the previous brakes were Dealer install and noisy.

Fishlet 03-17-2019 07:41 PM

6) sunroof

ill occassionally hear a faint click from the sunroof. When it happens, I just open it a crack and close it again and the noise goes away

other than that, I get a different noise not on your list. The mirror sometimes vibrates when going at certain speeds. At first I thought it was the dash but narrowed it down to the mirror. Have to reach up and squeeze it or adjust back and forth and the noise will go away.

sadly, the Max aims for luxury but falls a bit short in the fit-and-finish department. Still for all the features it has, it's still a good bang for the buck

Goldpanda94 03-18-2019 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Fishlet (Post 9197857)
6) sunroof

ill occassionally hear a faint click from the sunroof. When it happens, I just open it a crack and close it again and the noise goes away

other than that, I get a different noise not on your list. The mirror sometimes vibrates when going at certain speeds. At first I thought it was the dash but narrowed it down to the mirror. Have to reach up and squeeze it or adjust back and forth and the noise will go away.

sadly, the Max aims for luxury but falls a bit short in the fit-and-finish department. Still for all the features it has, it's still a good bang for the buck

Yeah it's a great car but I'm hearing more rattles so far than my 2010 Altima with like quadruple the miles. THen again the ALtima is more bare bones and less complex.

There was one rattle they found last time in my Max where a screw or washer had gotten loose behind the glovebox compartment in the dash. No idea how they found that but I'm glad they did