8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

New 2019 SR vs 2016 SR...my perspective.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 06:16 AM

New 2019 SR vs 2016 SR...my perspective.

Picked up my 2019 SR earlier this week, white with black midnight (rims, trim etc). Have had it 3 days now and just wanted to post a few things that I've noticed.

1. Considering I received the first 2016 SR in Canada straight off the line, I did have several recalls, a few small rattles , a little CVT lag at times, typical SR rough suspension feeling many bumps. eventually had some outside trim issues, but nothing major really.
- What I've noticed is the 2019 seems more refined, solidly built (so far), very solid interior, no rattles as of yet....just an overall feeling that this is a well built car.

2. Tons of compliments so far...may due to the white black combination but people on my street have stopped and commented, 2 people commented when I was grabbing my morning coffee.

3. Feels more refined than the 2016. Not sure the weight was lowered or CVT was adjusted but this car just seems faster off the line and kicks in very well at high speeds. Handling seems smoother but just could be that new car feeling.

4. The orange stitching in the black interior gives it a nice color pop. Start up menu is the same, entertainment screen resolution is way better than in the 2019.
Although they replaced the alcantara (suede finish) on the doors with leather which is awesome foe ease of cleaning, they kept that cheap terrible piano black on the console. Brutal for keeping clean from dust, fingerprints etc.

5. Sunroof and dual roof windows is a nice touch...never cared for a sunroof but had her open all day yesterday and looking forward to using it more in the summer.

Essentially, the 2019 seems like a better all around car from interior, exterior and ride perspective. We'll see how this plays out after my new car honeymoon phase but so far very happy with my decision.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Scott1243
Picked up my 2019 SR earlier this week, white with black midnight (rims, trim etc). Have had it 3 days now and just wanted to post a few things that I've noticed.

1. Considering I received the first 2016 SR in Canada straight off the line, I did have several recalls, a few small rattles , a little CVT lag at times, typical SR rough suspension feeling many bumps. eventually had some outside trim issues, but nothing major really.
- What I've noticed is the 2019 seems more refined, solidly built (so far), very solid interior, no rattles as of yet....just an overall feeling that this is a well built car.

2. Tons of compliments so far...may due to the white black combination but people on my street have stopped and commented, 2 people commented when I was grabbing my morning coffee.

3. Feels more refined than the 2016. Not sure the weight was lowered or CVT was adjusted but this car just seems faster off the line and kicks in very well at high speeds. Handling seems smoother but just could be that new car feeling.

4. The orange stitching in the black interior gives it a nice color pop. Start up menu is the same, entertainment screen resolution is way better than in the 2019.
Although they replaced the alcantara (suede finish) on the doors with leather which is awesome foe ease of cleaning, they kept that cheap terrible piano black on the console. Brutal for keeping clean from dust, fingerprints etc.

5. Sunroof and dual roof windows is a nice touch...never cared for a sunroof but had her open all day yesterday and looking forward to using it more in the summer.

Essentially, the 2019 seems like a better all around car from interior, exterior and ride perspective. We'll see how this plays out after my new car honeymoon phase but so far very happy with my decision.
Thanks for sharing your observations. I too came from a 2016 Maxima Platinum to a 2019 Platinum. I "ordered" mine loaded with all options and it took 7 weeks to get it. While mine is not an SR, we share the same opinions on the refinement present in the 2019. The car is noticeably quieter. The 19 inch wheels/tires (not rims) ride just fine. Mine is also white and While I am not a fan of the black wheels, it all seems to work very well with that color. We are pleased Nissan finally went all LEDs on the outside lighting. The running bomerang lights are quite a bit brighter than the 2016s too. It was high time Nissan offered the panoramic sunroof on the SR. Does that get you a rear power sunshade too? While we have been fortunate on our latest cars quaility of build, I hear Lindros is not real happy with how his 2019 Platinum is doing. Hopefully he will get his issues cleared soon and report back.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:23 AM

No rear sunshade, which is an option I didn't really mind not being added. I've also read some of his issues and it worried me a bit, hopefully the good luck continues with mine and he can get his issues resolved.

LEDs are nice on the exterior, I still had to change a few lights to LED inside (footwells, bottom door lights and trunk) as well as the license plate lights. Not a big deal, gives me a chance to get outside and tinker.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:29 AM

No rear sunshade, which is an option I didn't really mind not being added. I've also read some of his issues and it worried me a bit, hopefully the good luck continues with mine and he can get his issues resolved.

LEDs are nice on the exterior, I still had to change a few lights to LED inside (footwells, bottom door lights and trunk) as well as the license plate lights. Not a big deal, gives me a chance to get outside and tinker.
I didn't realize the door lights, trunk and license plate lights were not LED. Where did you source them?

Thanks
Old 04-14-2019, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by robtroxel
I didn't realize the door lights, trunk and license plate lights were not LED. Where did you source them?

Thanks
Ebay, standard LED T10 W5W non canbus. In the trunk i take off the plastic dome and put in an LED, makes it really bright.
https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_odkw...0+w5w&_sacat=0

Always had the "Nissan Logo" LED car door welcome light. Really brightens up the ground when stepping out of car. Nice to see snow, puddles etc at night when stepping out of car.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/LED-Car-Door...ZcounL&vxp=mtr
Old 04-14-2019, 08:48 AM

Thanks for your feedback. Congrats! Except for your white color, orange stitching, and Alcantara you sound like you were describing the feeling I had for my new '17SL, even way after "my new car honeymoon phase"! Very glad you finally got a good build. I have been extremely pleased with mine, and your review reminded me of the excitement and all-round "what a car" feeling I had with our new one. Oh, and the "faster off the line" thing. That is all in your brain. Manufacturers put a chemical in that "new car smell" that affects how your brain receptors react to stimuli such as the way the radio sounds, speed, rattles, forking over all that cash, etc.

You stated, "entertainment screen resolution is way better than in the 2019". Did you mean screen resolution is way better than in the 2019?
Old 04-14-2019, 02:29 PM

Yes sorry. Seems the resolution is better in the 2019 vs 2016.
Old 04-14-2019, 03:10 PM

Yes sorry. Seems the resolution is better in the 2019 vs 2016.
I think it is a TOM TOM unit this year and the SD card is gone so it must be HD based?
Old 04-14-2019, 06:11 PM

Congrats on the new ride!
Old 04-16-2019, 06:34 PM

Still a little cold here in Toronto, so when I started my car via car starter when I started driving I noticed the steering wheel heater was on! Never turned on automatically in my 2016. Hope that doesn't happen in the summer time.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:27 AM

Still a little cold here in Toronto, so when I started my car via car starter when I started driving I noticed the steering wheel heater was on! Never turned on automatically in my 2016. Hope that doesn't happen in the summer time.
Normal as far as I can see. Mine also senses if the steering wheel temp is below 68 F and turns on sw heater when remote started. Also turns on cabin heat if it is cold outside.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:55 PM

Normal as far as I can see. Mine also senses if the steering wheel temp is below 68 F and turns on sw heater when remote started. Also turns on cabin heat if it is cold outside.
Hmm, never notice that.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:24 AM

I always have the steering wheel heater on from cool October mornings until around the end of May. I have no circulation in my very gnarly old hands. I would never consider buying any vehicle without a heated steering wheel. The absence of a heated wheel is why I never drive my wife's trucks except in summer time. robtroxel is spot on about the 68 degree cutoff. So it never comes on automatically in warm weather. Sometimes I wish the cutoff was around 72 degrees, but it is at 68 degrees, and I have found no way to raise it.

I keep the rear power sunshade half closed (so I can still see between the slats) from around Mayday until mid-October. This not only makes things more comfortable for my granddaughters riding back there, but goes a long way to protecting the parcel shelf and rear seat upholstery from the sun.

I hope the 9th generation Maxima keeps the heated steering wheel and rear power sunshade. I have had those features (and used them extensively) on my last three Maximas.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
I always have the steering wheel heater on from cool October mornings until around the end of May. I have no circulation in my very gnarly old hands. I would never consider buying any vehicle without a heated steering wheel. The absence of a heated wheel is why I never drive my wife's trucks except in summer time. robtroxel is spot on about the 68 degree cutoff. So it never comes on automatically in warm weather. Sometimes I wish the cutoff was around 72 degrees, but it is at 68 degrees, and I have found no way to raise it.

I keep the rear power sunshade half closed (so I can still see between the slats) from around Mayday until mid-October. This not only makes things more comfortable for my granddaughters riding back there, but goes a long way to protecting the parcel shelf and rear seat upholstery from the sun.

I hope the 9th generation Maxima keeps the heated steering wheel and rear power sunshade. I have had those features (and used them extensively) on my last three Maximas.
Half closed? How???? I always thought it was automatic open or closed. Next thing you're going to tell me is that there is a way to only open the front shade on the pano roof...is there???
Old 06-29-2019, 09:47 AM

So just checking in to see how you like your 2019 after a few more months.

My lease is up in 10 months so debating on 3 options.

1. Purchase my '17 currently at 22k miles.
2. Lease a '19 SR in black
3. Give car back and since all other cars that I can afford I don't like.... Save money on a car payment and insurance....I have a work truck and my wife's car.

I really like option 3 however I know I will go crazy without a car of my own so this option I think will be off the table.

I did test drive a 19 and I have to say I didn't mind the exhaust tips like I thought I would. My two big gripes are the orange stitching( I liked the blue better) and black rims. I hate black rims on any car especially when the tires are dull, it's like the car will have 3 different shades of black and that will drive me crazy.
Old 06-30-2019, 06:37 AM

Black WHEELS just lose all the detail.
Old 06-30-2019, 12:55 PM

Black WHEELS just lose all the detail.
I give you props for sticking to your core values any and every time this is brought up.

But seriously you're splitting hairs here, do you do this to every single thing every person uses to describe something that while technically not correct, it's just an accepted interchangeable answer? If so then damn I am sorry to hear that.

It's very similar to someone saying go to Google and look it up.... would you said excuse me the proper thing to say is go to https://www.google.com and look it up.

I can list a million different things in everyday life people use to describe something, while sometimes I will agree the distinction matters... I can assure you in this case it doesn't.

I bet in the modern day history of tires, wheels and rims... Nobody has ever brought there car in for a issue with a damaged "rim" and been told, nope sorry, you did not damage your rim, you damaged your wheel. You don't need a new rim, you need a new wheel. Or sorry you damaged your wheel not your rim, we only fix rims here

Last edited by BlackNYMax; 06-30-2019 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by BlackNYMax
So just checking in to see how you like your 2019 after a few more months.

My lease is up in 10 months so debating on 3 options.

1. Purchase my '17 currently at 22k miles.
2. Lease a '19 SR in black
3. Give car back and since all other cars that I can afford I don't like.... Save money on a car payment and insurance....I have a work truck and my wife's car.

I really like option 3 however I know I will go crazy without a car of my own so this option I think will be off the table.

I did test drive a 19 and I have to say I didn't mind the exhaust tips like I thought I would. My two big gripes are the orange stitching( I liked the blue better) and black rims. I hate black rims on any car especially when the tires are dull, it's like the car will have 3 different shades of black and that will drive me crazy.
First question you have to answer is "Are you comfortable with a never-ending car payment?" If you're not, then choose option 1: purchase your '17, pay it off, and enjoy not having a payment in 3-5 years.

If you're fine with forever payments, then you'll probably want to choose option 2 and lease a new one. Your '17 has really low miles so there's a good chance it will be worth considerably more than your residual. Look up the trade-in and retail price of your '17 ahead of time. If it's more than the residual, then instead of turning it in, TRADE it in for more money. The dealership will buy the car from you, pay off the residual, and you pocket what's left to put towards your new one. Negotiate this trade-in amount just like you would with any other trade-in. With the extra cash from the trade, you might actually end up with a lower payment than you have now.

If you are currently kind of strapped for cash and worried about paying bills or your savings balance, then choose option 3. Turn in the car and walk away, drive your work truck, and use the extra money to pay what needs paid or save for the future.

Last edited by Sir Buckeye; 07-13-2019 at 10:36 PM.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Sir Buckeye
First question you have to answer is "Are you comfortable with a never-ending car payment?" If you're not, then choose option 1: purchase your '17, pay it off, and enjoy not having a payment in 3-5 years.

If you're fine with forever payments, then you'll probably want to choose option 2 and lease a new one. Your '17 has really low miles so there's a good chance it will be worth considerably more than your residual. Look up the trade-in and retail price of your '17 ahead of time. If it's more than the residual, then instead of turning it in, TRADE it in for more money. The dealership will buy the car from you, pay off the residual, and you pocket what's left to put towards your new one. Negotiate this trade-in amount just like you would with any other trade-in. With the extra cash from the trade, you might actually end up with a lower payment than you have now.

If you are currently kind of strapped for cash and worried about paying bills or your savings balance, then choose option 3. Turn in the car and walk away, drive your work truck, and use the extra money to pay what needs paid or save for the future.

I appreciate you taking your time to write this, and we think exactly alike because those are the thoughts running through my head. however, and I mean this with all due respect, I was kinda asking the question to the person or anyone who had switched to a '19. What you said confirmed what was in my head but really does nothing to help me figure out how the new '19s are compared to the prev version.

You're already in forever payments no matter if you lease or own a car... If you think about it by the time you finish paying off a car loan, maybe you're sick of the car and want a new one, maybe it starts to have parts fail, the sun and rock chips have already started to kill the car, headlights start to fade and turn yellow... so technically speaking if you hold onto a car you're putting money into it one way or another. I know its not the same as a monthly payment but if you can't garage a car, the weather will kill it. I had a pontiac bonneville gxp with 79k miles on it with no payments but the thing towards the last few years started to really show its age and I don't really think having a faded scratched up, yellow headlight car is worth it even with no payments. last I will say is If I didn't care about the car I drove, I would've gotten a car thats a hell of lot cheaper than $340 a month to begin with
Old 08-14-2019, 07:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Footwell lights

Originally Posted by compyelc4
Hmm, never notice that.
I also traded my 2016 maxima SR for a 19 SR I'm replacing all the non LED lights how did you remove the passenger side footwell lights ? Thanks
Old 08-14-2019, 07:23 AM

pics?????
Old 08-15-2019, 07:01 PM

I have a 2017.5 SR. Test drove a 2019 SR today. The refinement is definitely there. Feels solid and with the premium package it feels like the ultimate sedan. I even test drove a 2019 Platinum Reserve but wasn’t feeling it, the SR suspension handles so good IMO. I’m seriously considering upgrading to a premium SR soon.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by ENGINE2MAXIMA
I have a 2017.5 SR. Test drove a 2019 SR today. The refinement is definitely there. Feels solid and with the premium package it feels like the ultimate sedan. I even test drove a 2019 Platinum Reserve but wasn’t feeling it, the SR suspension handles so good IMO. I’m seriously considering upgrading to a premium SR soon.
1. the platinum suspension and steering were tuned for 18" wheels. The lazy moron imbecile excuse for engineers at Nissan failed to "re-tune" it for 19". So it's like turning a non-power assist steering wheel sometimes.
>> advantage: SR
2. 2020 SR will only come in premium (sunroof, etc.). But no power steering wheel. Stupid.