8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Weird thing happening with hvac

Old 05-21-2019, 05:33 PM

Weird thing happening with hvac

So everytime I start my car, I hear the hvac come on full blast for a few seconds and shut off. The hvac screen does not turn on and it's never left on when this happens, meaning the ac or heat was shut off before turning the car off. Also this is from a normal start, not remote start. This only started happening in the last few weeks. Any help is appreciated
Old 05-25-2019, 02:50 PM

Anyone know anything about this? Still happening. Gonna call the dealer next week
Old 05-25-2019, 05:40 PM

Sounds like a software issue. Have the dealer scan it. It's too new. I'll bet there's some sort of reset function with dash buttons. Mercedes has a ton of hidden combo key functions like that. I wouldn't know where to start with an 8th gen Maxima though.
Old 05-25-2019, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by User1
Sounds like a software issue. Have the dealer scan it. It's too new. I'll bet there's some sort of reset function with dash buttons. Mercedes has a ton of hidden combo key functions like that. I wouldn't know where to start with an 8th gen Maxima though.
I actually just flipped through the manual, and it said something about the outside temp being high and the vents blowing air when the car is turned on. Says it's normal, but still weird to me
Old 05-25-2019, 05:52 PM

New to me too.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:00 PM

Mine is doing it as well. I'll check in the am when its cooler to see if this still occurs.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:01 PM

Well there ya go. Confirmation of normal operation.
Old 05-26-2019, 04:06 AM

Shouldn't the title of this thread be changed to "Normal thing happening with my HVAC....I finally read the Owners Manual page 4-32"?
Old 05-26-2019, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by RickSmith
Shouldn't the title of this thread be changed to "Normal thing happening with my HVAC....I finally read the Owners Manual page 4-32"?
That made me laugh. No it shouldn’t because people are too lazy to open their owners manual. It’s way easier to get in the internet and get spoon fed. P
Old 05-26-2019, 07:00 AM

... but you have to admit that the manuals are large and often confusing...
Old 05-26-2019, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by BrianShaw
They can’t be found online in 10 seconds on google. And you can search for key words in the said owners manual. Takes minimal effort.
Old 05-26-2019, 08:39 AM

Not as confusing as driving around aimlessly unaware of the features of your car.
Old 05-26-2019, 12:15 PM

Tough crowd here...

Old 05-26-2019, 03:05 PM

Tough crowd here...

That was a very diplomatic way of putting it.

Anyway, for those who didn't bother to do their S h I t t e r reading, The HVAC didn't exhibit this behavior when the air temp was 66 degrees. So I guess its confirmed that this is weird feature and not a bug.
Old 05-27-2019, 05:38 AM

Tough crowd here...

Hi Brian,

Some are more abrubt than others however Rick has more or less been the on line resource fr pointing people to answers on their questions. He and I both agree that this is no replacement for investing some " heads down"in the resources suppied, ie the manuals. Otherwise you miss usage of some of the great features this car has. Would also say that the manuals are like reading a long boring book but worth the time.

Last edited by robtroxel; 05-30-2019 at 06:54 AM.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:03 PM

These things come with manuals?
Old 05-29-2019, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by User1
These things come with manuals?
Mine's an automatic...
Old 05-31-2019, 01:14 PM

And what purpose does this serve? The explanation the owners manual gives, I mean. It tells you it does it, but doesn't say for what reason. Also, I've owned 12 or so cars in my lifetime, not one other car I've ever owned has done this.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Steptide
And what purpose does this serve? The explanation the owners manual gives, I mean. It tells you it does it, but doesn't say for what reason. Also, I've owned 12 or so cars in my lifetime, not one other car I've ever owned has done this.

I agree. I actually read the manual when I bought the vehicle and I didn't recall this action. Its such an oddball feature I also thought it was a possible malfunction.

I also think its kind of odd that someone will take the time to craft an unhelpful post that basically says RTFM instead of just ignoring it. But hey its the internet so
Old 06-02-2019, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Steptide
You are to be commended for owning 12 cars or so in your lifetime, that is quite an accomplishment. Not all of us can make that claim. I'm glad you agree with me that the owners manual says that this is normal behavior in some circumstances. From the manual:

"When the outside and interior cabin temperatures are moderate to high, the intake setting may default to turn off air recirculation to allow fresh air into the passenger compartment. You may notice air flow from the foot mode, bi-level mode or side demist vent outlets for a maximum of 15 seconds. This may occur when previous climate setting was system off. This is not a malfunction. After the initial warm air is expelled, the intake will return to automatic control, air flow outlet will return to previous settings, and operation will continue normally. To exit, press any climate control button."

I spotted the reason this happens...and you should spot it also when you read it. I will help you out here..."When the outside and interior cabin temperatures are moderate to high, the intake setting may default to turn off air recirculation to allow fresh air into the passenger compartment. You may notice air flow from the foot mode, bi-level mode or side demist vent outlets for a maximum of 15 seconds."

Now you know.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by jommbi
I agree. I actually read the manual when I bought the vehicle and I didn't recall this action. Its such an oddball feature I also thought it was a possible malfunction.

I also think its kind of odd that someone will take the time to craft an unhelpful post that basically says RTFM instead of just ignoring it. But hey its the internet so
Sorry you thought my post was unhelpful because I directed people to the very location where the answer and reason it does it could be found?

Well OK then!

Who knew the owners manual contained helpful information about the many features of the vehicle you purchased? What a novel idea.
Old 06-02-2019, 02:46 PM

Yes, yes, being scolded to read the manual by some guy on the internet is very helpful. Should definitely get more people contributing. I also find it hilarious that you later quoted the relevant section about the issue from the manual. If you could have done that earlier you would've actually been helpful. Cheers!
Old 06-03-2019, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by jommbi
Yes, yes, being scolded to read the manual by some guy on the internet is very helpful. Should definitely get more people contributing. I also find it hilarious that you later quoted the relevant section about the issue from the manual. If you could have done that earlier you would've actually been helpful. Cheers!
Scolded? Did you get your answer? Yes you did! Is it better to learn to fish or just be spoon fed the fish? I found this thread helpful - you invest alot of money in a car so it seems right invest time studying the manuals. That said, I do agree that extracting the answers is not always easy. Many of us learn by reading, others get it after being shown or told. For example, I struggled to understand the seat memory linkages with the remote FOB and just how they worked both together and independantly. Took a trip to the dealer to sort it out for sure even after reading the manuals..

Last edited by robtroxel; 06-03-2019 at 05:39 AM.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:39 AM

Yes Scolded. You know who provided the answer? The OP. And he was nice enough to answer his own post and provide us with the information that this was a feature, and not a bug. I just don't see the merit in mocking a fellow forum member for asking a question that was covered in a written manual. In my opinion its just passive aggressive nonsense.

Its not like anyone asked how to get the back windows to roll all the way down, or what grade of fuel to use. That crap is unforgivable Anyway, this is my last post on the subject.

Last edited by jommbi; 06-03-2019 at 07:43 AM.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:55 PM

You are to be commended for owning 12 cars or so in your lifetime, that is quite an accomplishment. Not all of us can make that claim. I'm glad you agree with me that the owners manual says that this is normal behavior in some circumstances. From the manual:

"When the outside and interior cabin temperatures are moderate to high, the intake setting may default to turn off air recirculation to allow fresh air into the passenger compartment. You may notice air flow from the foot mode, bi-level mode or side demist vent outlets for a maximum of 15 seconds. This may occur when previous climate setting was system off. This is not a malfunction. After the initial warm air is expelled, the intake will return to automatic control, air flow outlet will return to previous settings, and operation will continue normally. To exit, press any climate control button."

I spotted the reason this happens...and you should spot it also when you read it. I will help you out here..."When the outside and interior cabin temperatures are moderate to high, the intake setting may default to turn off air recirculation to allow fresh air into the passenger compartment. You may notice air flow from the foot mode, bi-level mode or side demist vent outlets for a maximum of 15 seconds."

Now you know.
Still stupid Imo. To allow fresh air in the cabin? So when it's 90 out and this happens, the car will blow hot air for 15 seconds. How fresh is that air gonna be. Whatever. Just seems kinda pointless me.

Also, 12 vehicles is really not that much depending on your age. I'm not that old, but old enough to have owned/leased 12 or so vehicles