Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   8th Generation Maxima (2016-) (https://maxima.org/forums/8th-generation-maxima-2016-88/)
-   -   Lower gas mileage? (https://maxima.org/forums/8th-generation-maxima-2016/706372-lower-gas-mileage.html)

neo1967 02-17-2020 12:40 PM

Lower gas mileage?

I cleaned the throttle bodies and MAF sensor this weekend now it seems as if I am getting poor gas mileage? Is it common to get lower gas mileage after cleaning? Throttle response is quicker and less hesitation and cold start idle remained the same.
Is there something else I need to do?

NisCal17 02-17-2020 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by neo1967 (Post 9217280)
I cleaned the throttle bodies and MAF sensor this weekend now it seems as if I am getting poor gas mileage? Is it common to get lower gas mileage after cleaning? Throttle response is quicker and less hesitation and cold start idle remained the same.

I think your MAF is malfunctioning. I know that if MAF is working incorrectly the car will run rich.

compyelc4 02-17-2020 04:06 PM

Why did you find it necessary to clean the TB and MAF? Curious.

The Wizard 02-17-2020 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by compyelc4 (Post 9217304)
Why did you find it necessary to clean the TB and MAF? Curious.

My thoughts exactly. The MAF is a very sensitive piece of equipment. I wouldn't clean it unless it was known to be contaminated with oil vapors etc (assuming an oiled K&N filter was in use).

wild willy2 02-18-2020 03:06 AM

It's a very easy clean, just do not touch it!!

neo1967 02-18-2020 05:20 AM

No just used a Mass Air flow sensor cleaner to clean the mass air flow sensor.
The throttle bodies were dirty and I was getting hesitation and poor throttle response so cleaning the throttle bodies definitely made a difference in performance.
Just the lower gas mileage is now an issue.

Sugardaddy1979 02-18-2020 04:24 PM

What temperatures are you driving in? Colder weather can reduce fuel economy.

neo1967 02-19-2020 09:32 AM

80-90 degrees

MONTE 01&97 SE 02-19-2020 12:25 PM

Could be a result of the below:
https://www.bellperformance.com/blog...blend-gasoline

Blame The Winter Blend Gasoline. ... Winter gas is more volatile and evaporates more quickly, so it is ideal for it is used in the colder air of winter. In terms of gas mileage, you get better mileage on summer blends than winter blends because the summer blend gasoline has about 2% greater energy value than winter blend.Dec 2, 2010

neo1967 02-20-2020 08:07 AM

Do you think doing a Accelerator pedal released position learning, throttle valve closed position learning and idle air volume learning would fix the issue?
Disconnect the battery?

Richard66 02-20-2020 09:18 AM

"It seems as if I am getting poor gas mileage" You didn't post any numbers on mileage or how you figure it. Your cleaning was done on the same weekend as your reported low mileage, not nearly long enough run time to get a accurate reading on fuel usage. The most accurate reading comes by the manual method of fuel used divided into miles driven.

Steptide 02-21-2020 06:05 AM

I use non ethanol gas, and in winter my gas mileage is always worse than summer. Some due to letting my car warm up, and some due to the fact that your car just gets worse gas mileage in the cold. Don't forget, using heat, rear defrost, heated seats/steering wheel, all contributes to worse gas mileage. Also tire pressures in the winter will almost always be lower than in summer. Even if your tires are at the right pressure, the summer heat will raise the pressure automatically and will give you slightly better gas mileage
​​​

compyelc4 02-21-2020 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Steptide (Post 9217488)
I use non ethanol gas, and in winter my gas mileage is always worse than summer. Some due to letting my car warm up, and some due to the fact that your car just gets worse gas mileage in the cold. Don't forget, using heat, rear defrost, heated seats/steering wheel, all contributes to worse gas mileage. Also tire pressures in the winter will almost always be lower than in summer. Even if your tires are at the right pressure, the summer heat will raise the pressure automatically and will give you slightly better gas mileage
​​​

Op said his is in 80-90 degree weather, not cold winter.