Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   Advance Paint and Body Work (https://maxima.org/forums/advance-paint-body-work-85/)
-   -   Clear Coat Pitting - Acid Rain (https://maxima.org/forums/advance-paint-body-work/681268-clear-coat-pitting-acid-rain.html)

saltohio 09-17-2014 08:33 AM

Clear Coat Pitting - Acid Rain

So, I purchased a 2011 Maxima SV on August 11th. The color of the car is charcoal which looks like a very dark maroon metal flake in the sun.

Several days after I bought the car the weather cleared and I had the opportunity for the first hand wash. After washing the car and carefully drying with a chamois, noticed what appeared to be stubborn water spots on much of the horizontal surfaces. I then resolved to get the car professionally detailed.

I asked the dealer to recommend a detailer and my sales guy got wind of my request and said "Bring the car in and we will do a detail, we want you to be absolutely happy with the appearance of the car".

So I bought the car in, and they drove me to work, late in the day the service managed called to explain that the car has "acid rain" pitting in the clear coat. and there was little they could do about it. When I picked up the car, the service mgr. explained I should discuss the issue with my sales guy.

In any event, my sales guy called late last week asking me to bring the car in Monday morning and they will give me a loaner car and "make the situation right".

He says they may have to remove the clear coat and respray it. I just noticed that the loaner car paperwork says a one week duration.

I'm kinda surprised (but feel fortunate) that they are doing this, has anyone heard of acid rain damage? I live in NE Ohio and the car was originally sold at a dealership in central Pa. The dealership owns a body shop so hopefully the work will be done correctly.

I'm glad they are addressing the issue but am completely nervous about how it will turn out.

jholley 09-19-2014 06:44 AM

Nice that they're clear coating your MAX at no charge. I've never had issues with acid rain but IMO wax should of given some protection?

When you pick it up ask if they cured the paint with heat or not. If they have cured it then throw on some heavy wax for protection. If not then ask them how long the clear coat needs to breathe before applying wax.

saltohio 09-22-2014 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by jholley (Post 8985837)
Nice that they're clear coating your MAX at no charge. I've never had issues with acid rain but IMO wax should of given some protection?

When you pick it up ask if they cured the paint with heat or not. If they have cured it then throw on some heavy wax for protection. If not then ask them how long the clear coat needs to breathe before applying wax.

Will do, thanks.

DanNY 09-28-2014 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by jholley (Post 8985837)

regardless if they heat cured it or not...unless it's powder coat the heat just dries the paint faster. most production shops (if they are super busy) will run the IR heat lamps to get things to dry faster so they can pull it out and roll in the next job.

in any event it's still needs the right amount of time to fully "harden" before you should wax it.