Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   Advance Paint and Body Work (https://maxima.org/forums/advance-paint-body-work-85/)
-   -   Operation Rust Bust (https://maxima.org/forums/advance-paint-body-work/688574-operation-rust-bust.html)

Maximeltman 08-03-2015 05:46 PM

Operation Rust Bust

4 Attachment(s)
here i will do a picture log for some repairz on the rear.
Attachment 16322
Attachment 16323
Attachment 16324
Attachment 16325

nsnrider 08-03-2015 05:57 PM

is that expanding foam I see in the pic?
make sure you get rid of all of it before welding the patch panel.
1. it might catch on fire when weld.
2. it will retain moisture and all your hard work will be a waste as it will rot out in a year.

keep the pics coming.

ac max 92 08-03-2015 06:07 PM

Sometimes for what the sheet metal is worth it's just as well to buy new rockers. I did my girlfriends rockers on her focus and was able to pick up both side for $120 cdn and did just that which was cut out all the rust from front to back and weld in some new rockers already formed then grinded and sanded and went over all the seams with short strand fiberglass filler more sanding primed painted and clear coated. Looked like new. After already doing patch work just to have more spots pop up after a couple winters i think is what made me say the heck with it and go with the rockers for what they were worth.

Maximeltman 08-03-2015 06:43 PM

nsnrider-Yea that foam is bye bye, will keep pics coming.
acmax92-cool do you know Where can I get rockers?

ac max 92 08-04-2015 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Maximeltman (Post 9064197)
nsnrider-Yea that foam is bye bye, will keep pics coming.
acmax92-cool do you know Where can I get rockers?

Are you located around the GTA in Ontario? I got them through hotspot auto parts but I can try and find out others that may carry them and if I hear of other places that may sell the rockers I'll let you know. That is ofcoarse if your local. Otherwise you may just have to google or shop around for places that may carry them in your area but well worth it to save some headache having them pre formed.

Maximeltman 08-06-2015 02:44 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Nope Omaha NE USA lol. I looked around and couldn't find any pre-made ones.
more pics:
Attachment 16287
Inside was pretty bad, scraped most of the scaly stuff off, and used the Naval Jelly on it, waited ten minutes, hosed it off, let dry and coated with black Rusto.
Attachment 16288
Got all of the foam out too. Started patching up:
Attachment 16289
Attachment 16290

ac max 92 08-07-2015 09:15 AM

So far So good. I know it's a little tougher with the flux core vs. the mig but once your done it may not be a bad idea to coat the metal with something that has a good rust inhibitor then put on your short strand fiberglass filler which is the green stuff (waterproof) sand, prime and paint and hopefully your good to go for another 5 yrs + good to see you got all of that expansion foam out.

Maximeltman 08-07-2015 10:57 AM

The flux core Harbor Freight welder FTW!
Thank you! This is my first attempt at this body repair stuff, the metal is sooo easy to burn through with the flux!
Yeam I was thinking one treatment of the Naval Jelly, rinse, then top it with the black Rusto, then drill some holes for the Bondo to grab onto, sand, then primer. Still have to do the other side and although this is not so hard, it sure is exhausting..

Maximeltman 08-07-2015 06:07 PM

5 Attachment(s)
whats was taken out:
Attachment 16269
painted:
Attachment 16270
Attachment 16271
Attachment 16272
Attachment 16273

ac max 92 08-07-2015 08:15 PM

One piece would have given a little more stability to your rocker but what your doing is fine for a patch job and definately better than looking at rust/rot that just spreads. once you get the shortstrand fiberglass filler on there and sanded out, primed and painted it should look good. Also when your done to help it last a little longer get them rust coated/oil sprayed inside the rockers. Good job! :)

Maximeltman 08-09-2015 09:14 AM

Thank you! Still have to do the other side & around rear wheel wells.

cdoublejj 07-21-2016 07:12 AM

they def do not sell 5th gen body panels at least not at this time that i know of. I'd be happy to be proved wrong. glad to see threads like this.

Maximeltman 08-06-2016 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by cdoublejj (Post 9119295)
they def do not sell 5th gen body panels at least not at this time that i know of. I'd be happy to be proved wrong. glad to see threads like this.

Thank you.

I have more pics somewhere of the rear quarter panels somewhere.

DizzyEdge 09-10-2019 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Maximeltman (Post 9121277)
Thank you.

I have more pics somewhere of the rear quarter panels somewhere.

Old thread but I'm curious how this turned out, as I will be trying something similar to my 96 in the spring.