Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   Advance Paint and Body Work (https://maxima.org/forums/advance-paint-body-work-85/)
-   -   Idea: How to Easily Remove All Rust on Underbody and Rustproof (https://maxima.org/forums/advance-paint-body-work/696648-idea-how-easily-remove-all-rust-underbody-rustproof.html)

Violator 01-18-2017 09:18 PM

Idea: How to Easily Remove All Rust on Underbody and Rustproof

Awhile ago I came across evaporust and cams up with this idea when brainstorming for my last rust bucket maxima. Luckily this time around I was able to find a southern Cali nearly rust proof vehicle which I've had for a year in Ohio and I plan on putting a lot of money into this maxima because I love the car and I'd like to preserve it for the long run

Anyways, I thought I'd put this out there for anyone's input or in case anyone wanted to try it, I plan on it in the near future.

The idea is jacking up one end of the car and setting up a sprinkler system with evaporust and letting it run continuously with a catch system. If you let anything soak long enough in this stuff it will eat all of the rust and is harmless to just about everything from experience and everything I've read.

I was thinking after the rust bath has done it's job you could follow it up with paint/sealer and ideally if you have removed all of the rust underneath and you're sealing it well, no more rust. Thoughts anyone?

95naSTA 01-19-2017 06:14 AM

I've tried using evapo rust and blue lightning rust remover on flat unibody surfaces by soaking fabric and laying saran wrap over it. I had gravity on my side and it was not as effective as submerging a smaller part. I used up using abrasion. I think you'll be in the same boat.

I've been wanting to something similar to my undercarriage on another unibody car and was toying with the idea of getting a media blaster.

Violator 01-19-2017 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by 95naSTA (Post 9137559)
I've tried using evapo rust and blue lightning rust remover on flat unibody surfaces by soaking fabric and laying saran wrap over it. I had gravity on my side and it was not as effective as submerging a smaller part. I used up using abrasion. I think you'll be in the same boat.

I've been wanting to something similar to my undercarriage on another unibody car and was toying with the idea of getting a media blaster.

How long did you try? The stuff can take quite awhile to work it's magic. I think I also tried the cloth method and it wasn't as potent, still hoping constant direct spraying would be more effective..

95naSTA 01-21-2017 10:12 AM

I started with trying over night then resoaked and went for 2 days with the same result.

95maxrider 05-05-2017 10:38 AM

I'm in the same boat- I want my car to last forever, and I'm now facing the task of getting rid of all the surface rust on the underside of the car. I already know it's going to get coated with POR15 when I'm done cleaning, but I'm not sure about the best way to clean up the surface rust. I've got a 5 gallon bucket of Evapo Rust, but I just can't think of a way to get it to work for me here. My best idea at this point is a lot of wire wheels. There is one product that stands a chance, and it's Permatex Rust Remover Gel. It should stick real well to the bottom of the car and do the same thing as the Evapo Rust. My plan at this point is to wire wheel->rust remover gel->POR15->enjoy for another 20 years.