Advance Paint and Body Work Discuss painting and body work techniques. Frame and body panel repairs, PDR, proper use of chemical and safety equipment.

Catalyzed clear over no-catalyzed (rattle can) paint

Old 05-22-2017, 12:22 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Catalyzed clear over no-catalyzed (rattle can) paint

With Eastwood's new 2K Aero Clear in a aerosol can, it's a perfect option for a project I want to do. Here's the project. I have a older 1991 truck and its paint has faded. It's faded to the point whenever I wash it, the sponge turns red from the paint. Now, I've had the truck for about 8 years and I don't know the history of the paint prior to that. Since I've had the truck, I've never painted or waxed the truck. Basically, all I've done is just wash and go.

For the last year I've basically stopped washing the body, due to the paint running. I've basically just rinse the body, wash the rims, clean the windows, vacuum and done.

Now, I absolutely love how the truck looks with the faded paint and would like to preserve the current look and prevent any further fading. Which leads to my question.

Can a catalyzed spray product be applied over a non-catalyzed spray product?

And for the record, I would do a light sanding on the base before applying the clear.

Search this Thread