Advanced Suspension, Chassis, and Braking Talk about suspension geometry, advanced handling/chassis setup, custom brakes, etc. NOT your basic brake pads and "best drop" Information.

Any ideas for front drop only....

Old 06-15-2006, 07:37 PM

what kind of post is that...... ohh 2nd post I get it...... lol
Old 06-15-2006, 07:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

LOL...how many do I have to have before I can make a thread...LOL
Old 06-15-2006, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by silver10th
LOL...how many do I have to have before I can make a thread...LOL
I would like to make a thread too....or at least do a search!!
Whats up?? This is strange
Old 06-16-2006, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by PENROSE2006
I would like to make a thread too....or at least do a search!!
Whats up?? This is strange
Reply to 15+ total threads, and you will be allowed to start a thread. There is actually logic to it.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I agree theres logic to it...keep the trolls away. My first time here...looks like a good community.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:52 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by PENROSE2006
Trust me, I read the "Shimmy Post" cover to cover. I didn't have the shimmy with the stock wheels/tires though. I didn't get it until I put the new wheels/tires on.

I am using the hubcentric rings, did 4 remounts and balances (2 of them were road-force balanced). They all said that the wheels were fine (run-out was within specs). The steering wheel shook at 55-60mph....anything above or below 55-60 and it is smooth as $hit.

Tire-Rack.com sent me 2 new tires and I had these mounted yesterday. Now the steering wheel shimmy's at 60-65mph and my seat shakes now too....it's worse!
Take it to the Stealership and tell them the problem, if it's not your tires, you may need an alignment?
Old 06-16-2006, 01:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

To everyone who answered back regarding my questions: Thank You.

I will look at the Coilover as a viable option.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by madmik
I concur. I drove in Mtl early April and had to slow down to 30-40 kmh often to make the ride bearable. It was like driving a Vette.

Since you ride on 17” in the winter (1/2” lower), the first piece of ice may cause havoc at the front if you lower it more. Not sure if they make coilover yet for the Max but those would allow you to raise the front for winter.

Best to Villeneuve on the 25th. But I think Alonso is unbeatable this year.

Thanks for the info.

Alonso is unbeatable and Schumi has shown us what a spoiled little brat he can be! I think he's just a poor sport and doesn't like being in the loser seat now.

On another note, I noticed that you're from VA. I have been up and down VA and man you have one beautiful state there! Eh? Nicest roads I've ever had the pleasure to drive on...till you reach Baltimore HE HE!

I used to rep a company in Sterling and have flown in and out of Dulles and Reagan. One of my best friends lives in Fairfax and I have driven on Chain bridge rd. Man that's nice! He used to live in Falls Church...nice too! Been a few times to Norfolk and V. Beach ....nice people nice places! Come back to Montreal now that the weather is beautiful. We have a fleet of special automatic trucks that repair pot holes with gluey black ashphalt gunk...LOL! And it works! Within one month most of them are done (90%). We have the Jazz festival starting at the end of this month for 10 days. It's a multi street fest with many outdoor free venues and beer, liquor and food are served outside in a controlled perimeter. This is one of the best in the world and is our summer claim to fame! All welcome!

Sorry to go off topic...
Old 06-16-2006, 05:22 PM
The Definitive AE Master

Another concern is how much your weight transfer characteristics will be affected with only a front drop (assuming a stiffer aftermarket spring). Differing driving styles require different suspension setups, but usually with a floating rear end and stiff front springs is not recommended.

Remember, this forum isn't for looks. Its for performance.

Another reason to upgrade the shocks the same time you change springs is that the stock OEM shocks do not have the rebound and dampening cabability of aftermarket shocks combined with a stiffer spring.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Larrio
Another concern is how much your weight transfer characteristics will be affected with only a front drop (assuming a stiffer aftermarket spring). Differing driving styles require different suspension setups, but usually with a floating rear end and stiff front springs is not recommended.

Remember, this forum isn't for looks. Its for performance.

Another reason to upgrade the shocks the same time you change springs is that the stock OEM shocks do not have the rebound and dampening cabability of aftermarket shocks combined with a stiffer spring.

I have the Progress springs ready to install on my 06, and I'd like to replace the struts and shocks as recommended. Are the KYB GR2s still the only available option? I'm not sure I'd like them. I had those on a 93 Altima, and the ride was too stiff and bumpy for me.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:02 PM
Boss Chen Industries

I believe the GR2's are non-adjustable(?) I'm not familiar with them. I'd recommend going with something that offers dampening adjustability
Old 06-19-2006, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Larrio Motors
I believe the GR2's are non-adjustable(?) I'm not familiar with them. I'd recommend going with something that offers dampening adjustability
Last I knew, the 'AGX' line was KYB's only adjustable offering, though I don't know if there are any Maxima part numbers. Next step down KYB's performance scale is the Gas-A-Just line, but again I don't know about Maxima offerings. GR2's are OE replacement, and while they are probably slightly stiffer than OE, it's not enough so in the right places to provide best handling performance with springs much heavier than stock, and may be too firm in other places for best ride quality. Damping plots for the GR2's (and OE's for comparison) would be needed to say much else.

As far as the end result of lowering only the front is concerned, one effect is that you give away more front grip than if you lower the front and rear equally, based on two separate effects. Another is that outside shoulder wear rates can be expected to get worse. I'm not seeing any real benefits, and "tire gap" isn't visible from the driver's seat.

Norm
Old 06-19-2006, 10:00 AM

After reading this im going to go with ground controls c/over kit.....
Old 06-19-2006, 02:39 PM
Lightly modded

Is this really what we consider an advanced suspension question??
Old 06-19-2006, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by 95maxrider
Is this really what we consider an advanced suspension question??
Old 06-19-2006, 06:30 PM

Whats the lowest spring for the 4th gen
Old 06-20-2006, 06:38 PM

I just received my Progress springs and am waiting on my GR2's. I will lower the front first and will let you know the difference in handling. My 05 has 13k miles. Before I bought the MAX, I tried an 05 Altima SER and decided that the suspension was way to stiff for my city driving. That is why I picked Progress and KYB. If I am wrong, I will just get the Illumina when they become available. I am also planning to get a Y-pipe and since its a tad lower than OEM, I didn't want to lower the front too much.

Old 06-21-2006, 11:59 AM
Lightly modded

Originally Posted by bluestreakgts
GTFO!! Go back to the 4th gen forum troll. Your question couldn't be more stupid.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:26 PM

It doesnt sound like hes interested in the handling benefits of getting aftermarket springs.

I know this is usually considered type talk but the stock springs are linear, so cutting a coil off them would not effect the spring rate. Also the stock springs up front are quite tall usually several inches taller than aftermarket springs. Thus if you did reach a case where you bottom the car out, you would be bottoming the shock out (aka the shock reaching full compression state) before fully compressing the spring and bottoming the car out that way. If that makes any sense.

So I dont really see why it couldent be done. Just dont expect the car to handle any better. Your playing with suspension geometry here. Good news is its a free mod and if you screw it up you can buy used stock springs for next to nothing on the org.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by sciff5
. . . but the stock springs are linear, so cutting a coil off them would not effect the spring rate.
Sorry, but if you cut off an active coil or any part of one the spring rate will go up. The general formula is

[SpringRate] = { [ShearModulus] * [WireDiameter]^4 } / { 8 * [NumberOfActiveCoils] * [MeanCoilDiameter]^3 }

Cut one active coil out of a 300 lb/in 6 active coil spring and you can expect it to then be a 360 lb/in spring.

What cutting an active coil from a linear spring doesn't do is change the progression.

You'd have to cut off an inactive coil (one that is already "bottomed out" against its neighboring coil) to have no rate change.

Norm
Old 06-21-2006, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by bluestreakgts
What, if any, is the "advanced performance question" that I'm not seeing in that question?

Provide it, in detail to the best of your ability, and I will do my best to help. Take your time.