Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   Advanced Suspension, Chassis, and Braking (https://maxima.org/forums/advanced-suspension-chassis-braking-68/)
-   -   Where's the best place to get upper mounts. (https://maxima.org/forums/advanced-suspension-chassis-braking/357838-wheres-best-place-get-upper-mounts.html)

z32drifter 06-15-2006 04:38 PM

Where's the best place to get upper mounts.

My right upper strut mount has seen better days. It is causing a squeaking noise when cold and you can see the strut shaft is no longer centered in the mount. Is it worth it to go with factory parts?? I plan on replacing both mounts and bearings. Let this be a lesson to others, change the mounts when you replace the struts and springs...lol
If camber plates were not $400 I would consider just upgrading ;)

irish44j 06-15-2006 06:23 PM

oh well...when I saw the thread title, I was going to suggest camber plates. I got my Stillens for $250 or so. IIRC....you just have to look around alot, religiously check ebay, etc.....

Larrio Motors 06-15-2006 07:50 PM

The upper strut mount isn't all too expensive (IIRC $35 dollars at my local dealer). Stillen has discontinued their camber plates but you could contact ground control to see if they are interested.

I gave them the measurements 4-6 months ago, but no one replied after several to and from emails

Matt93SE 06-15-2006 08:16 PM

D2 sells the camber plates separately and I've been told they will work with OE-type springs as well as coilovers.

As for a replacement part, KYB sells the upper mounts WITH bearing for something like $45 for the mount/bearing set.. kyb.com for part numbers and info. then call your local parts stores for someone that sells KYB products.

irish44j 06-15-2006 08:16 PM

If anyone is trying to get camber plates fabricated, email this company:

they told me that they could fabricate them for me pretty inexpensively if I send them specs....these guys deal in specialty suspension products for older Nissans/Datsuns and appear to be pretty well-regarded.

I don't really have time to do "on car" fabrication, so no local Maxima owners please! :)

But I'd definately take a look at what you come up with once you get the Stillen units in hand.

The Toyota's can generally accept a factory upper spring perch under the camber plates. The
Nissan's I've dealt with in the past would not, but the Maxima is a more current vehicle than the
Datsuns we usually deal with.

We'd be happy to work with you though!

Gia & Gabriel Tyler
www.TechnoToyTuning.com
email is ggtyler@yahoo.com

Delvin 06-15-2006 11:53 PM

I know Advanced Auto Parts can get the KYB kit if they dont have them in stock. As for the D2 camber plates I've done a set before and they fit just as well as the Stillen ones on any setup that uses the stock upper perch. As for other coil-over setup I have no clue on how they would work.

Larrio 06-16-2006 05:12 PM

How does the D2 camber plate accomdate the OEM strut bearing? The Stillen piece has a nicely machined groove for the strut bearing to sit in. I'm not sure the D2 feature this

Matt93SE 06-18-2006 02:09 PM

as long as you've got a flat plate and a hole big enough for the lip to fit into, you're fine. I just RTVd my strut bearing to the upper spring perch and bottom of the strut mount. never had a problem with it.

Kevlo911 06-18-2006 02:17 PM

The KYB ones fail early compared to the OEM ones. That I what I have read about them.

96i30azn 07-07-2006 07:14 PM

do you guys know if its just the front mounts that go bad? are the rear shock mounts prone to problems?

BEJAY1 07-07-2006 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Larrio
How does the D2 camber plate accomdate the OEM strut bearing? The Stillen piece has a nicely machined groove for the strut bearing to sit in. I'm not sure the D2 feature this

The Stillen plates don't reuse the OEM strut bearing. The spherical handles that.

Also, Ground Control isn't interested in making an application for us without 20+ prepaid upfront.

Matt93SE 07-07-2006 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
The KYB ones fail early compared to the OEM ones. That I what I have read about them.

So far, I haven't had any problems with mine.. about 20 k miles on them so far

dko 07-09-2006 11:10 PM

when i had my sprints the OEM's lasted the longest. KYB's started coming apart and squeaking after 15,000 miles. OEM ones lasted 80,000 and the replacement OEM's are at about 20,000 and still ok. there's a $10 price diff., just go with the oem

ajcool2 07-11-2006 09:14 AM

I'm actually having the same problem and I'm about to order some mounts but dont know if the KYB mounts fit my illuminas. My drivers side strut is leaning to one side and making alot of squeaking sounds.

dko 07-11-2006 01:10 PM

the kyb's are stock size and fitment, but i would assume they are filled with cheaper material.

if you're having problems check how you put everything together

Matt93SE 07-11-2006 03:05 PM

Who do you think makes the OEM mounts? I can guarantee you that they are NOT Nissan-made. almost all of the suspension parts on these cars are made by Tokico or KYB. wheel bearings are SKF, NSK, or F.A.G. (stupid swear filter! it's a business name, dammit!)

Larrio Motors 07-11-2006 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by BEJAY1
The Stillen plates don't reuse the OEM strut bearing. The spherical handles that.

Also, Ground Control isn't interested in making an application for us without 20+ prepaid upfront.

Ask them how much per set, that way we can figure out a total cost

96i30azn 07-13-2006 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Kevlo911

Anyone have any experience with tokico strut mounts?

96i30azn 07-13-2006 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by dko
when i had my sprints the OEM's lasted the longest. KYB's started coming apart and squeaking after 15,000 miles. OEM ones lasted 80,000 and the replacement OEM's are at about 20,000 and still ok. there's a $10 price diff., just go with the oem

WEll, its not a $10 difference man... I called in the nissan dealer today and strut mount bearing were $49 a peice and upper strut mounts were $199.01 apeice. Cattman has KYB ones for $14 and $28... freaking OEM is expensive

dko 07-13-2006 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by 96i30azn
WEll, its not a $10 difference man... I called in the nissan dealer today and strut mount bearing were $49 a peice and upper strut mounts were $199.01 apeice. Cattman has KYB ones for $14 and $28... freaking OEM is expensive

that's wrong. i bought my OEM's for $80 brand new for both. they may be looking at a different part number

96i30azn 07-13-2006 09:11 PM

Well it took the guy awhile, he was probably adding up the bearing, plate, springs seat..... I told him front strut mount for a 98 maxima. Where did you buy your anyway?

dko 07-13-2006 11:17 PM

local stealership. the strut mount comes as one piece... i don't know what else he would add onto it. perhaps he thinks you're looking for the top of the strut/spring assembly (the plate that locks the spring in place, et al)?

Larrio Motors 07-13-2006 11:37 PM

There is three components for the stock upper mount:
1. strut mount (black)
2. strut plate (gold with the three bolts pointing upwards)
3. strut bearing

#1 is around $17, #2 is around $27, and #3 is about $15 from my local dealer

96i30azn 07-14-2006 12:36 PM

Well, I guess mines a real stealership (its actrually 46$ for ONE strut mount bearing i remebered wrong)... damn $40 each mount and 15$ for a bearing is not stealership... can you guys give me a part # for the upper strut mount and the bearing?

Larrio Motors 07-14-2006 01:37 PM

Strut Bearing
L3035-151998

Shock Mount (KYB OEM)
L4010-126863

http://catalog.nissanpartswholesale....ageField2.y=12

Google is your friend :D

Kevlo911 07-14-2006 01:44 PM

Thanks for that site. Nissan wants 25dolla for the strut bearings now :shock:
That site was 12.xx

Larrio Motors 07-14-2006 02:31 PM

$20.52 for me :(

Kevlo911 07-14-2006 02:37 PM

I wonder how different the 5th gen bearings are. They looked the same to me when I installed a suspension on an 00.

96i30azn 07-14-2006 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Larrio Motors
Strut Bearing
L3035-151998

Shock Mount (KYB OEM)
L4010-126863

http://catalog.nissanpartswholesale....ageField2.y=12

Google is your friend :D

Eww KYB is oem? Some of the guys are saying KYB sucks compared to oem

Daily Interlude 09-30-2006 10:45 AM

I just picked up a front driver from Advanced for 38 plus tax (40 and some change out the door). Lifetime replacement warranty too...

MaximaSE96 09-30-2006 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Larrio Motors
The upper strut mount isn't all too expensive (IIRC $35 dollars at my local dealer). Stillen has discontinued their camber plates but you could contact ground control to see if they are interested.

I gave them the measurements 4-6 months ago, but no one replied after several to and from emails

Ground Control also offers universal camber plates as well......i have a spare set of OEM mounts that seem to be in good shape....i only bought new ones cause tirerack had them on sale for like 15 bux i and i figured WTF

BEJAY1 09-30-2006 12:17 PM

Camber plates

IIRC the Sentra plates are different than ours and when I talked with GC they wanted nothing to do with the Maxima community for < 20 pieces.

I'd be interested if anybody finds different as I'm finally modifying my Stillen plates to work with both Techno Toy's upper hat and my existing Progress Coilovers.

BEJAY1 03-24-2007 10:09 AM

Technotoy Tuning Upper Hat

We'll a bunch of washers, spacers, and some grinding later I got the Stillen plates mated up with the Technotoy Upper Hat's. It wasn't as hard as I once thought.

Before the change my spherical bushing (pillowball) took most of the pressure from strut leans and steering turns. I used a greased poly isoloator from Progress that screwed into the top of the spring and supported the camber plate. It took the brunt of side to side pressure.

Gone is the isoloator replaced by the metal upper hat. Plates now are supported by needle bearings and spin freely hopefully taking most stress off the pillowball (Ground Control's design). I'll install the coilovers tomorrow and see how it sounds (hopefully quiet).

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...2_236_full.jpg

irish44j 03-24-2007 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by BEJAY1
We'll a bunch of washers, spacers, and some grinding later I got the Stillen plates mated up with the Technotoy Upper Hat's. It wasn't as hard as I once thought.

Before the change my spherical bushing (pillowball) took most of the pressure from strut leans and steering turns. I used a greased poly isoloator from Progress that screwed into the top of the spring and supported the camber plate. It took the brunt of side to side pressure.

Gone is the isoloator replaced by the metal upper hat. Plates now are supported by needle bearings and spin freely hopefully taking most stress off the pillowball (Ground Control's design). I'll install the coilovers tomorrow and see how it sounds (hopefully quiet).

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...2_236_full.jpg

nice job! now you can finally move on to installing that cross-floor brace :hide:

lil humungus 03-28-2007 08:43 AM

Anybody have opinions on the Monroe mounts? I just bought a set of four of these from work. They had KYB's too but after reading about those well....