Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   Advanced Suspension, Chassis, and Braking (https://maxima.org/forums/advanced-suspension-chassis-braking-68/)
-   -   Abs Sensors (write ups?) (https://maxima.org/forums/advanced-suspension-chassis-braking/598647-abs-sensors-write-ups.html)

Tippy Toes 09-08-2009 11:35 AM

Abs Sensors (write ups?)

I can't believe its going to cost near $400 to purchase and install a sensor.:bawling:

Has anyone bought these and done their own install with a write up or pictures?:confused:

The sensor is for the driver side rear sensor.

I cant believe I could buy headers instead of a sensor and have it installed for "almost" the same price.:laugh:

Matt93SE 09-08-2009 06:54 PM

1. buy sensor from junkyard, or overpay at dealer.
2. buy FSM from dealership (or download).
3. change sensor.

doublea 09-09-2009 07:46 AM

I just got 4 new ABS sensor from Dave B, I think it was around 130$ each, costly but my life worth more than 500$.

AA

DAVE Sz 09-09-2009 08:10 PM

getting the rusty, stuck old sensor out is the only hard part of this job...

streetzlegend 09-09-2009 09:33 PM

I remember bout 4 or 5 years ago, I was having serious ABS problems. Basically the system didnt know what to do, so it would apply brake on both sides randomly and unevenly, oh and also felt as if there was oil on the rotors, extremely dangerous. Solution, i pulled the ABS fuse, and basically i have had no abs for that long with no problems. Not saying you should do it, but its a temp solution of ur having problems with braking.

I still havent found which sensor it is(havnt really looked), since the brakes work perfectly (non abs)

doublea 09-10-2009 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by DAVE Sz (Post 7195067)
getting the rusty, stuck old sensor out is the only hard part of this job...

Not really, I mean if they are shot you just need to remove the screw that hold the sensor and hit the sensor from the exterior with a screw driver and a hammer, it take like a minutes to take it out.

MDeezy 09-10-2009 08:10 PM

:scratch: they can be a little tricky but with a right tools and effort its not too bad to get out

I have some extra sensors if anyone needs some

Tippy Toes 09-10-2009 08:58 PM

You just carry extra sensors? Are they new? Do you have the rear driver side sensor?

It sounds like the job is just unscrew the sensor from wherever its located. Pop it up and plug in the new one. Is it more complicated then this? Thanks so far here gentlemen

MDeezy 09-10-2009 09:03 PM

:laugh: Not I dont carry extra sensors but about to part out my other max that has ABS on it, so the sensor are something i'd post up for sale.

I do have the rear driver side sensor.

PM me if you need it.

DAVE Sz 09-11-2009 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by doublea (Post 7195644)
Not really, I mean if they are shot you just need to remove the screw that hold the sensor and hit the sensor from the exterior with a screw driver and a hammer, it take like a minutes to take it out.

Umm, k. 9 out of 10 times they will be almost impossible to remove. If you put a screwdriver into the hole, the screw driver will go through the sensor. Congrats that yours were easy to do, most aren't...

doublea 09-11-2009 10:47 AM

Mine where really rusty and shots but nothing that the screwdriver and hammer couldn't take care of it. They actually might come off in multiple parts and you might need to do a bit of cleaning on the spindle.

MDeezy 09-11-2009 11:34 AM

if you had a bad sensor that your replacing, doesnt really matter if you bust it up cause your replacing it anyway, so get it out how every, clean up the pieces and install the new sensor

Metal Maxima 09-11-2009 12:23 PM

Propane torch makes this a 5 minute job

Matt93SE 09-11-2009 05:25 PM

use a socket or a metal punch instead of a screwdriver. it's easier to mash it out in one piece vs. having to chisel it out with a screwdriver.

or just use a drill like I did once. :wall:

doublea 09-12-2009 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE (Post 7198783)
use a socket or a metal punch instead of a screwdriver. it's easier to mash it out in one piece vs. having to chisel it out with a screwdriver.

or just use a drill like I did once. :wall:

When I said a screw driver... I mean, sorry I didn't know how to call that tool ( It's like a screwdriver but with a hexa socket on the tips and that is the perfect size to punch it out ).

That is my french/english traduction that got all mixed up... Lol