Advanced Suspension, Chassis, and Braking Talk about suspension geometry, advanced handling/chassis setup, custom brakes, etc. NOT your basic brake pads and "best drop" Information.

stress on the car from lowering COG

Old 10-02-2009, 07:03 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

stress on the car from lowering COG

came across some info while reading more about suspension. needless to say im a NOOB to the extreme when it comes to this but im learning! I know that lowering the car's COG has good and bad effects like I was informed about in the suspension geometry 101 thread or my thread asking questions about it.

There was mention that lowering the COG can have adverse side effects on certain parts of the car...what parts are these? Ive heard about the LCA's and tie rods...what does it do to them? is it really really bad? or just moderate stress? Ive also heard (from a guy i was going to by a car from) that lowering the car really far will stress the axles...true? (the guy i was going to buy a car from told me that he had coilovers on it at one point and had it sitting 3in lower and that he kept breaking axles and had to get custom axles from Raxels made for him...didnt know whether this was B/S or not).

Im asking these questions cause hopefully im about to get a 5th gen and the first things i want to do to it (after making sure nothing NEEDS to be replaced) is improve the handling and braking on the car and I want to make sure its done right so Im asking questions first.

also this may seem really dumb but does it matter what order you put stuff on a car in? ie: FSTB, lower tie bar (blehmco) and then coilovers? or should it be in a different order. Im sure some people will read this a pee themselves cause they will be laughing so hard but again just trying to make sure I do it right the first time

thanks

B
Old 10-02-2009, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by NissanMan97
came across some info while reading more about suspension. needless to say im a NOOB to the extreme when it comes to this but im learning! I know that lowering the car's COG has good and bad effects like I was informed about in the suspension geometry 101 thread or my thread asking questions about it.

There was mention that lowering the COG can have adverse side effects on certain parts of the car...what parts are these? Ive heard about the LCA's and tie rods...what does it do to them? is it really really bad? or just moderate stress? Ive also heard (from a guy i was going to by a car from) that lowering the car really far will stress the axles...true? (the guy i was going to buy a car from told me that he had coilovers on it at one point and had it sitting 3in lower and that he kept breaking axles and had to get custom axles from Raxels made for him...didnt know whether this was B/S or not).

Im asking these questions cause hopefully im about to get a 5th gen and the first things i want to do to it (after making sure nothing NEEDS to be replaced) is improve the handling and braking on the car and I want to make sure its done right so Im asking questions first.

also this may seem really dumb but does it matter what order you put stuff on a car in? ie: FSTB, lower tie bar (blehmco) and then coilovers? or should it be in a different order. Im sure some people will read this a pee themselves cause they will be laughing so hard but again just trying to make sure I do it right the first time

thanks

B
Yes the LCAs, axles, tie rods, sway bar end links, and anything associated with the suspension undergoes increased stress when lowered. Are you going to break or bend a LCA? Highly doubtful, I cant say no you wont, because I dont know enough to say it definitely wont happen. But theyre not weak either... One way to counteract this is to prevent problems from the start. Energy Suspension bushings all the way around will remove the old stockers and you wont have any problems with them. Also, decent struts like Illuminas (Konis are best, hands down) and nice springs like the Eibach pro kit will help your suspension survive.

And yes, he's right about the axles. The angle at which they bend is changed when you lower. Changing its natural angle causes it to stress more, hence the "killing the axles".
Old 10-02-2009, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by MOHFpro90
Yes the LCAs, axles, tie rods, sway bar end links, and anything associated with the suspension undergoes increased stress when lowered. Are you going to break or bend a LCA? Highly doubtful, I cant say no you wont, because I dont know enough to say it definitely wont happen. But theyre not weak either... One way to counteract this is to prevent problems from the start. Energy Suspension bushings all the way around will remove the old stockers and you wont have any problems with them. Also, decent struts like Illuminas (Konis are best, hands down) and nice springs like the Eibach pro kit will help your suspension survive.

And yes, he's right about the axles. The angle at which they bend is changed when you lower. Changing its natural angle causes it to stress more, hence the "killing the axles".
Energy Suspension bushings...what are these? and what do they do? are they expensive?

im thinking about doing the Tein coilovers rather than a spring/shock combo if i keep it at like an 1" to 1.25" all the way around will i have to worry about the axles then?

thanks for the response

B

PS - side note: but the Gators look poised to win the National Championship again...my Cats look like crap.
Old 10-03-2009, 01:56 PM
Offset Is Everything.

A bushing is a type of bearing. It is a cylindrical lining designed to reduce friction and wear inside a hole, or constrict and restrain motion of mechanical parts. Considering the age and wear of the typical maxima, (guessing its a 4th gen), id highly recommend pushing out the old worn out OE bushings and pressing in the new Energy Suspension ones. (manufactuing company specialzing in making bushings). This will solidify the car a bit more in terms of handling performance. Worn bushings become loose and deteriorate quicker making the car feel "sloppy".

Going with the Tein Basics? If youre only lowering 1.00"-1.25" I wouldn't worry about over stressing the axles. Now lowering 3"+, yes you will put considerable strain on the axles. Hence why you hear about "clicking" axles. The universal joints can't handle the angle of the driveshaft.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by Mr****s95SE
A bushing is a type of bearing. It is a cylindrical lining designed to reduce friction and wear inside a hole, or constrict and restrain motion of mechanical parts. Considering the age and wear of the typical maxima, (guessing its a 4th gen), id highly recommend pushing out the old worn out OE bushings and pressing in the new Energy Suspension ones. (manufactuing company specialzing in making bushings). This will solidify the car a bit more in terms of handling performance. Worn bushings become loose and deteriorate quicker making the car feel "sloppy".
actually this time around im going with a 5th gen. Picking up my 02 6spd today (or is that 5.5gen?)

as for the "sloppy" feel, thats how my old 4th gen felt before it got totaled...maybe is was the bushings...i dont know.

Going with the Tein Basics? If youre only lowering 1.00"-1.25" I wouldn't worry about over stressing the axles. Now lowering 3"+, yes you will put considerable strain on the axles. Hence why you hear about "clicking" axles. The universal joints can't handle the angle of the driveshaft.
No I was thinking about going with the SS coilovers, ive heard these are what to go with...expensive yes...but do it right the first time and all that. Plus I like the whole in car damper control thing, but im going to do a bit more learning before i drop that kinda cash...plus its a long way off to begin with.

B
Old 10-07-2009, 08:12 AM
My axles cry for mercy...

Like it's been stated before and from personal experience, an extreme drop (3"+) will have a negative effect on just about everything to do with your front suspension and steering system.

Im a little over 4 inches lower than stock on coilovers and I've replaced my axles about 6 times already this year. The last set lasted 5 days. My outer tie rods and ball joints are mangled. They were fine before i slammed the car. But I love the look and I replacing these components are not an issue for me so its staying that way.

With a 1" drop, you wont have any big issues, but with those coilovers your probably gonna want to go go a little lower than that.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by essential1
Like it's been stated before and from personal experience, an extreme drop (3"+) will have a negative effect on just about everything to do with your front suspension and steering system.

Im a little over 4 inches lower than stock on coilovers and I've replaced my axles about 6 times already this year. The last set lasted 5 days. My outer tie rods and ball joints are mangled. They were fine before i slammed the car. But I love the look and I replacing these components are not an issue for me so its staying that way.

With a 1" drop, you wont have any big issues, but with those coilovers your probably gonna want to go go a little lower than that.
thanks for the input and 4" holy crap thats low!!!

yea ill probably want to go a little lower than an inch but no more than 1.5" ill probably hover between 1.25" and 1.5". i want to keep the clearance up as the roads in KY suck right now because of the work being done and I work in downtown Louisville and they arent the best. but I figured that on my stock 17's would look good and when i can get the cash to buy some 18's it will look even better.

B