Advanced Suspension, Chassis, and Braking Talk about suspension geometry, advanced handling/chassis setup, custom brakes, etc. NOT your basic brake pads and "best drop" Information.

questions about spring rates...and really suspension in general

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 11:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

questions about spring rates...and really suspension in general

I think its time for some new shocks and im gonna buy a new set of springs while im at it. ive read and read and...read some more. from what i gather on this site my 4th gens spring rates were 250 lbs/in and the rates on my 5.5gen are a lot less than that.

now i loved the "stiffer" ride of my 4th gen even though the bushings were shot. my 5.5gen not so much, feels way to "floppy".

i also understand that the 4th gen springs were linear as opposed to progressive...now i really dont know what that means so im not going to pretend that i do. anyone care to explain? also if they could explain what the difference is between the rates...ie: what the advantages are between a higher rate or lower rate...im pretty sure ive this part down u just want to make sure im correct before i buy anything.

ive got some questions but ill wait for a response before i ask them.

thanks in advance

B
Old 02-12-2010, 02:08 PM

I dont know if you found this sticky but alot of info can be found. check the first link in this 5th Gen Sticky Thread
http://forums.maxima.org/6886987-post2.html

It used to be a direct sticky up front but is now within the categorized "5th Gen Modificaitons" Stickee
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...fications.html
Old 02-22-2010, 08:14 AM

basically i want a stiffer ride like my 4th gen was.

can you put 4th gen springs on a 5.5 gen?

B
Old 02-22-2010, 08:52 AM

idk if I believe that spring rate or not. I saw the same thread and it had the 4thgen fronts at 200lbs/in which is stiffer than all the aftermarket springs, while someone put 100lbs on the oem front spring and it compressed about an inch. That said I have H&R and oem rear 5.5 se springs sitting in my basement. The linear SE compressed maybe .3" when I stood on it @ 190lbs and the H&R at least .5" but its progressive so make your own judgement. I've heard of people running 4th gen springs up front, not sure about the back. A set of illuminas will take away that floppy feeling. The oem struts are to soft even for the oem springs imo.

Last edited by PulsarGTS; 02-22-2010 at 08:55 AM.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by PulsarGTS
idk if I believe that spring rate or not. I saw the same thread and it had the 4thgen fronts at 200lbs/in which is stiffer than all the aftermarket springs, while someone put 100lbs on the oem front spring and it compressed about an inch. That said I have H&R and oem rear 5.5 se springs sitting in my basement. The linear SE compressed maybe .3" when I stood on it @ 190lbs and the H&R at least .5" but its progressive so make your own judgement. I've heard of people running 4th gen springs up front, not sure about the back. A set of illuminas will take away that floppy feeling. The oem struts are to soft even for the oem springs imo.
see there is a another problem i dont get the whole linear/progressive thing. ive tried to understand it but can work it out.

id like a drop but i want a stiffer ride overall so if that mean stock height so be it. obviously if i can get both then thats what i will do. 1.5 all around is a low as i want but finding what appears to be the best drop and ride quality i want is very hard

B