Advanced Suspension, Chassis, and Braking Talk about suspension geometry, advanced handling/chassis setup, custom brakes, etc. NOT your basic brake pads and "best drop" Information.

can someone explain linear and progressive spring rates

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 09:05 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

can someone explain linear and progressive spring rates

like the title says can someone explain it to me. Ive read a lot and just cant seem to figure it out.

to me it seems like the spring rate changes depending on the load it gets? is that right? how does that work if it is?

thanks for the help. i know its a noob question

B
Old 03-13-2010, 12:37 AM

1. Normal Springs (Linear rate Springs, Specific Rate Springs)
In a normal spring, space between the coils are equal. Normal (or linear rate) springs are designed to respond with a specific rate when compressed.

Consider we have a 10-coil spring, each coil spaced 2 centimeters apart. Put a load on the spring to compress it 2 centimeters. Because in Normal Springs coils compress at the same rate, this 2 centimeters will be divided into all 10 coils equal, resulting each coil spaced 1,8 cm apart. Put another additional load which is the same as the first one and the coils will become 1,6 cm apart.

2. Progressive Springs (Rising Rate Springs, Progressive Rate Springs, Progressive Wound Springs)
In progressive springs each coil is spaced differently and have a variable spring rate. When free, it is easy to compress progressive springs for first centimeters. As you apply more forces, coil on a progressive spring come closer. After a certain point, coil at the top 1/4 of progressive springs begin to touch each other and finally become inactive or dead, and that makes the spring stiffer. Apply more forces to a progressive spring then it becomes stiffer because as the number of active coils in a spring decreases, the spring rate increases. So, progressive springs may both be sensitive to very small bumps on the road, while giving the stiffness you need during hard braking and turning.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by jeff5347
In a normal spring, space between the coils are equal. Normal (or linear rate) springs are designed to respond with a specific rate when compressed.

Consider we have a 10-coil spring, each coil spaced 2 centimeters apart. Put a load on the spring to compress it 2 centimeters. Because in Normal Springs coils compress at the same rate, this 2 centimeters will be divided into all 10 coils equal, resulting each coil spaced 1,8 cm apart. Put another additional load which is the same as the first one and the coils will become 1,6 cm apart.

2. Progressive Springs (Rising Rate Springs, Progressive Rate Springs, Progressive Wound Springs)
In progressive springs each coil is spaced differently and have a variable spring rate. When free, it is easy to compress progressive springs for first centimeters. As you apply more forces, coil on a progressive spring come closer. After a certain point, coil at the top 1/4 of progressive springs begin to touch each other and finally become inactive or dead, and that makes the spring stiffer. Apply more forces to a progressive spring then it becomes stiffer because as the number of active coils in a spring decreases, the spring rate increases. So, progressive springs may both be sensitive to very small bumps on the road, while giving the stiffness you need during hard braking and turning.
+1

i would also like to add that most springs you'll find for our cars are STEPPED linear. meaning there are two separate linear spring rates wound into the same spring.

i actually have yet to see a spring with a true progressive wind.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by mightyMax95
+1

i would also like to add that most springs you'll find for our cars are STEPPED linear. meaning there are two separate linear spring rates wound into the same spring.

^^^ i agree on that. I was reading on the stepped linear and i too think that is what we have or should i say the majority of "progressive" springs available for our cars are
Old 03-15-2010, 06:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

^^^ i agree on that. I was reading on the stepped linear and i too think that is what we have or should i say the majority of "progressive" springs available for our cars are
Originally Posted by mightyMax95
+1

wow. ok that makes more sense. so in a ways i wasnt to off.

then the spring rates for the linear or progressive mean the same thing? that is the terminology is the same? higher spring rate is stiffer?

are the amount of drop and the spring rate independent of each other?

B