Advanced Suspension, Chassis, and Braking Talk about suspension geometry, advanced handling/chassis setup, custom brakes, etc. NOT your basic brake pads and "best drop" Information.

Whiteline Caster Correction Bushings

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 11:49 AM

Whiteline Caster Correction Bushings

Has anyone used these before? Any reviews?
http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...sp?prod=KCA303
Old 09-14-2012, 01:32 PM
Got Retrofit?

Why would you need those?
Old 09-15-2012, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
Why would you need those?
I've read that positive caster helps with handling in FWD cars. I'm no expert so I'm looking for input. My car needs control arm bushings. I'm just trying to see if anyone has anything to say about them.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:31 AM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by imaking133
I've read that positive caster helps with handling in FWD cars. I'm no expert so I'm looking for input. My car needs control arm bushings. I'm just trying to see if anyone has anything to say about them.
IIRC, you can't adjust caster on these cars but I could be wrong. Don't quote me on that.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
IIRC, you can't adjust caster on these cars but I could be wrong. Don't quote me on that.
I believe the offset hole in the bushing is what adjusts the caster.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:24 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

I've had those for a few years now, they add about 0.5 degree of caster. Though some cars get less and some get more.

The only adjustment is that you can use a bushing with 0 offest on one side and use a caster offset bushing on another side. This is if you have uneven caster and need to adjust it out.

I've run ES bushings control arm bushings and these offset bushings provide about the same amount of noise/harshness. You also have to clean and regrease them about once a year to keep the squeaks and bind down, but thats with most poly bushings.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by 98SEBlackMax
I've had those for a few years now, they add about 0.5 degree of caster.

I've run ES bushings control arm bushings and these offset bushings provide about the same amount of noise/harshness.

Is handling pretty much the same with ES and the Caster Correction bushings?

Are the Caster Correction bushings only appropriate for cars with damage that requires caster correction, or are they an attempt at a handling improvement?

I am about to do the control arms so, I'd love to know. I have the ES kit sitting in garage, am wondering whether to get these.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:21 AM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Originally Posted by atriuum
Is handling pretty much the same with ES and the Caster Correction bushings?

Are the Caster Correction bushings only appropriate for cars with damage that requires caster correction, or are they an attempt at a handling improvement?

I am about to do the control arms so, I'd love to know. I have the ES kit sitting in garage, am wondering whether to get these.
These are an attempt at gaining more caster for performance and if needed to correct damage, though it would be best to replace the control arms and front subframe if they are damaged or bent.

Handling felt about the same with these put in. Not much overall caster gain so they are about equal in performance to the ES bushings for the average driver. However any gain in positive caster on mcstrut suspensions low on positive caster is a good thing. With mcstruts more positive caster gives more negative camber gain under cornering and more stability at higher speeds. The trade off is stiffer steering and less willingness for the steering wheel to self center after turning. The 4th & 5th gen front suspension is in desperate need of more positive caster as they were set a bit low on the caster for softer steering and grocery shopping.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by 98SEBlackMax
These are an attempt at gaining more caster for performance
Ha. Bulb.

So if the specs for caster (stock) should be 2deg-3.5 deg and mine is 3.7deg left and 3.9 on the right, then that is a steering improvement? Other than the asymmetry? Apparently these old OEM bushings have gotten smarter with age. At least now I know it's the control arm bushings throwing off the alignment. It totally makes sense for the OEM rear lca bushings to wear out toward higher caster angle.

When you said the wheel won't tend to neutral position as much with caster correction, I thought 'it's not really tending there right now.' And that would be because the worn bushings are creating more caster.

Got it.

Last edited by atriuum; 09-26-2012 at 08:48 PM.