Lowering Causing Axle to Bottom Out - Maxima Forums

Advanced Suspension, Chassis, and Braking Talk about suspension geometry, advanced handling/chassis setup, custom brakes, etc. NOT your basic brake pads and "best drop" Information.

Lowering Causing Axle to Bottom Out

Old 11-20-2016, 08:17 AM

Lowering Causing Axle to Bottom Out

As Matt93SE pointed out "extremely lowered cars run a problem with bottoming out the axle when it goes parallel to the ground. the inner joint actually slides a couple inches inside the housing to allow for the length change needed for suspension travel." I would not say I am extremely lowered (Eibachs for 4th gen) but when I recently installed a Quaife LSD, the driver side axle seems to bottom out when I try to add camber to the spindle (the axle is almost parallel to the ground when the car is in static position - this car is tracked hence the need for negative camber). Question is has anyone tried shorter drive axles? If so, how short? I am running Raxles and am not keen on modifying them. If I recall correctly, I read somewhere that 6th gen axles are shorter (on driver side). Anyone tried one of these? I should add that when I was running a VLSD, I could still get a "tick" (0.5") of negative camber (granted that was with a driver side VLSD axle)....didn't think a Quaife would cause this kind of issue. Thoughts anyone?

Last edited by tkriggs; 11-20-2016 at 11:12 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.