Advanced Suspension, Chassis, and Braking Talk about suspension geometry, advanced handling/chassis setup, custom brakes, etc. NOT your basic brake pads and "best drop" Information.

Please advise on next step for suspenson redo.

Old 05-05-2017, 09:31 PM

Please advise on next step for suspenson redo.

I just put on order some BC BR coil overs from a vendor here on maxima.org in a continuing effort to completely redo my suspension. I've replaced the front lower control arms, and sway bar links, next obviously are the coilovers, but what bushing do I need to concentrate on next? rear trailing arm? I'm happy to do gobs of research, but I'm having trouble finding the information I need. I've come to the good people of the org to help me out here. Please, will you share some of your wisdom regarding the bushings situation and possibly the limitations of the suspension when being dropped? Or give me links so I can read myself . . . . I'm my own mechanic so give it to me straight.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:32 AM

TA bushings are 5 hours at home, worth it... eh... i have yet to see based on other members reviews and experiences from replacing them, my ES TA bushings are still in the box, havent pulled the trigger, look around harder, a few threads on that topic.

because u got pillowball mount coilovers you wont need new strut mounts but thats a big thing when upgrading struts, it makes a world a difference, on the same note why pillowball mounts will be a bit harsh for u no strut mounts.

strut mounts, front sway bushings, TA bushings, control arm bushings, in about that order.

thats the biggies for maintenance,.... mods.... LTB stage II, Subframeconnectors, side rail bars, rear sway bars, fender braces, FSTB, panhand rod, bent beams, RSTB ... are what comes to mind
Old 05-11-2017, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Prophecy99

that's the biggies for maintenance,.... mods.... LTB stage II, Subframe connectors, side rail bars, rear sway bars, fender braces, FSTB, Panhard rod, bent beams, RSTB ... are what comes to mind
Thank you for the in-depth explanation, and taking time out of your day to answer my question. I searched for and found info on everything with the exception of the Panhard rod. I found info for 3rd and 4th gen, but nothing for 5th gen. Can you go into further detail about the Panhard rod?
Old 05-22-2017, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Baker
Thank you for the in-depth explanation, and taking time out of your day to answer my question. I searched for and found info on everything with the exception of the Panhard rod. I found info for 3rd and 4th gen, but nothing for 5th gen. Can you go into further detail about the Panhard rod?
no problem man, i have been enjoying suspension mods since day on on this car because there is a lot left to be fixed on this chassis from the factory.

now that i think about it, i think the panhard is only 4th gens like u started to see in your serach but may work on a 5th gen with some work, because they both have the crappy solid rear axle beam with a russel link.

that is a kinda mod when u go off the deep end w mods, and hit the track kinda thing

there is a bar that ultra racing made on the rear beam i was intrigued by but never pulled the trigger, i do love the side rail bars I have from them tho. (close to what subframe connectors do, but with bolts)
Old 05-26-2017, 05:52 AM
Lightly modded

Is this a street car or are you planning on turning it into some sort of track rat? I have pretty much every suspension mod you can do to these cars, so I can provide insight to most mods. The panhard rod conversion was only being done by 2J Racing down in Georgia, and I'm not sure if they're still in business. I had mine done like 6 years ago. A 5th gen still has a SRL from the factory, but it's ever so slightly different than the 4th gen design, and I don't think 2JR ever did an install on a 5th gen. the PHR isn't necessary for a street car. For a normal person with a street car, the only things worth the time and effort at this point are the full line of Energy Suspension bushings. Control arms, crossmember, motor mounts, and sway bar bushings. The only bushings available for the rear trailing arms are from Super Pro, and they're a PITA to install, and I didn't notice much of an improvement when I had mine done. If you don't have a RSB, get one, that's a big bang for the buck mod if you're trying to get rid of understeer.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by 95maxrider
The only bushings available for the rear trailing arms are from Super Pro, and they're a PITA to install, and I didn't notice much of an improvement when I had mine done. If you don't have a RSB, get one, that's a big bang for the buck mod if you're trying to get rid of understeer.
this is sad ! =( but im glad I didnt pay a shop to do this PITA then... at 217k miles i am slowing down on major mods..

thanks for insight though !greatly appreciate all your threads and info and chassis stuff !! =) Thank you !

hers a follow up question, are you still rocking no LTB bar? i think u mentioned u had it off and didnt mind it being off, saying steering was way too...stiff w LTB.

I love it though, almost/maybe my fav mod on my A33
Old 06-13-2017, 09:55 AM
Lightly modded

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
this is sad ! =( but im glad I didnt pay a shop to do this PITA then... at 217k miles i am slowing down on major mods..

thanks for insight though !greatly appreciate all your threads and info and chassis stuff !! =) Thank you !

hers a follow up question, are you still rocking no LTB bar? i think u mentioned u had it off and didnt mind it being off, saying steering was way too...stiff w LTB.

I love it though, almost/maybe my fav mod on my A33
I've thought about trying to reinstall it, but then I go and re-read my impressions after taking it off and have decided to keep it off for now. I had to remove it to install the Cattman headers.

Search this Thread