Advanced Suspension, Chassis, and Braking Talk about suspension geometry, advanced handling/chassis setup, custom brakes, etc. NOT your basic brake pads and "best drop" Information.

2003 GLE suspension

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2019, 05:08 AM

2003 GLE suspension

Hello everyone. I was hoping to get guidance on a comfortable, yet better handling suspension for my 03 GLE. I should be able to get plenty of life out of this car as the second owner, and want to tastefully mod it a little bit. It's going to be my daily driver for a little while, and then when I can park it safely (hopefully in a driveway or garage) is when I'd like to begin modding the car further. I would like to reduce some of the body roll these cars are notorious for, and was wondering if sub-frame connectors/ collars would solve this. Upgrades to struts and shocks I'm open to as well and was curious on what would provide a still comfortable ride, but with better handling characteristics without sinking a ton of money into a custom suspension. The GLE rides wayyyyy smoother than my previous 01 SE/AE, but both variants have a body roll like whoa in the corners. It feels like the suspension and body have a disconnect between them that I'd like to bridge.

Moving from an 01 SE/AE into an 08 GS350, and now a Q50 have been worlds apart in terms of handling and ride comfort.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-10-2019, 07:41 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

A rear anti sway bar will reduce body roll with minimum effect on comfort. Rear trailing arm bushings will do similar.

Do you want to lower the car?
Old 11-11-2019, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by JSutter
A rear anti sway bar will reduce body roll with minimum effect on comfort. Rear trailing arm bushings will do similar.

Do you want to lower the car?
I'm not opposed to lowering it. Not really low though since it would serve as my daily driver, and New York streets aren't exactly forgiving. A maximum drop of 2" would be fine in my eyes -- 1.5" ideally. Any suggestions?
Old 11-11-2019, 01:49 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

H&R or Progress springs would be good choices if you wanted to lower it. However, I'm not sure you'd really want that if you didn't like your SE. Do you know what struts are on your 2 cars?
Old 11-12-2019, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by JSutter
H&R or Progress springs would be good choices if you wanted to lower it. However, I'm not sure you'd really want that if you didn't like your SE. Do you know what struts are on your 2 cars?
The SE suspension I didn't mind the stiffness, however I happen to prefer the ride of the GLE over it though after having this version. On the SE I probably had KYB struts. I never did anything to that car suspension-wise. Would a rear sway bar eliminate the body roll altogether, or should other components be included? I remember subframe connectors/collars were all the rage a while back. Are these helpful? Or not worth the added work/cost?
Old 11-12-2019, 07:35 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Originally Posted by 03_GLE
The SE suspension I didn't mind the stiffness, however I happen to prefer the ride of the GLE over it though after having this version. On the SE I probably had KYB struts. I never did anything to that car suspension-wise. Would a rear sway bar eliminate the body roll altogether, or should other components be included? I remember subframe connectors/collars were all the rage a while back. Are these helpful? Or not worth the added work/cost?
KYB rides stiff, I never liked the AGX I had. Tokico are more comfortable and Koni (yellow) are even better.

The SE will have stiffer springs (maybe just the rear like a 4th gen?) along with some other tweaks.

The RSB really does kill much of the body roll. I have used them alone on an otherwise stock suspension. I think you should start there.

I haven't used collars or SFCs, just poly bushings. They give more of a direct feel. Except for the trailing arm bushings, they won't help with roll.
Old 11-12-2019, 02:45 PM

What brand RSB is best for this car type? After doing a simple google search, there's quite a few which have slight difference in design
Old 11-12-2019, 03:47 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

I have used Progress and Addco, they are basically the same thing. The bolt to the trailing arms and beam. The only thing I don't like is the rear brake hoses can rub the bar. I added some loom around the hose for protection.

Stillen (Topspeed made a copy BTW) and Ultra Racing do not have bushings. I don't have any first hand experience with them. Stillen uses brackets on the trailing arms. The UR bolts directly to the arm.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:26 AM

get front sway bar poly urethane bushings, they are really easy to install and help a lot for what they are, i feel sub frame connectors help a lot with body roll as well, and now ultra racing makes bolt on ones called side lower bars.

i like the idea of the rear trailing arms upgraded with poly ( i have the bushings on top of my fridge) , but i also have heard from some that did it, that they didn't notice much. (they are some serious work to put it)

and for the cost and what its worth, try a front strut tower bar. i think that will help with that body roll you feel.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:31 AM

also if you wanna try Front Lower Bar / Front Member Brace pieces by ultra racing, that would help too, they have two pieces for what compares to what I have which is the discontinued LTB-stage2 and it is my fav handling mod.

it probably is expensive since its two pieces tho
Old 11-17-2019, 07:30 AM

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Is there any negating effect if I choose to go with both a front strut tower bar, and rear sway bar? Would both together vastly improve the handling piece?
Old 11-18-2019, 10:48 AM

the more you do the more stiff you will get, both of those together would probably do enough for what you looking for, and yet still give you a little play (comfort), both of those choices are bolt on so you can always take em off if you don't like the effects. eliminating body roll but being comfortable at same time is a fine line, you can't have both 100%