All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

I want to make my motor stronger

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 10:37 PM

I want to make my motor stronger

I have 2 vq 3.0's one from my totalled 95 with 150K and another in the other 95 that im using for commuting. I want to take out the motor of my totalled max and make it stronger so I can s/c. What is recomended for this? how do you do it and what do you do? I plan on doing the 00vi as well. Thanks guys
Old 01-03-2006, 07:49 AM
I like Maximas

stronger pistons, rods, SC could also use a 9.0:1 compression ratio.

also look into bigger injectors, and a walbro 255lph fuel pump if you haven't.

if you can get your hands on a set of 2001 3.5L PF cams you can see some nice gains with SC and 00vi.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:04 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by matts95max
I have 2 vq 3.0's one from my totalled 95 with 150K and another in the other 95 that im using for commuting. I want to take out the motor of my totalled max and make it stronger so I can s/c. What is recomended for this? how do you do it and what do you do? I plan on doing the 00vi as well. Thanks guys
Wrong Forum.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:22 AM

no its not I wanna do all motor before I s/c. Thanks tho bud! But are there any rebuild kits to replace anything that after 150K will go for sure with a lot more h/p? thanks viper.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The general consensus is that it's more cost-effective to swap in a lower mileage VQ than to rebuilt your current motor.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:07 PM

but what all would need to be replaced to make it like a strong low millage motor?
Old 01-03-2006, 03:48 PM
Bacon Lover

but what all would need to be replaced to make it like a strong low millage motor?
So you want a fully built engine then? Just trying to get some clarification.

You want one that will hold up under higher power levels? Check out some of the stuff in the Forced Induction (S/C / Turbo) section. People like MardiGrasMax have built motors, ask them what their reccomendations are for your particular goals.
Old 01-03-2006, 04:00 PM

Unless you want to run 10's at 130+ mph I don't think a built engine is worth it.
Old 01-03-2006, 04:04 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by JClaw
Unless you want to run 10's at 130+ mph I don't think a built engine is worth it.
I was thinking the same thing, but figured I'd try and be helpful just the same.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:09 AM

New rings, a valve job, new main and rod bearings, new oil pump, etc.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:11 AM

I don't think he's trying to "build" it in the sense of forged rods or pistons. I think he just wants to freshen up his old motor to bring it back to original spec.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:01 AM

i beleive he wants to know what parts to add or swap to make his engine as strong as possible to hold the amount of power he plans on making once supercharged and oovi'ed not to refresh his engine. i believe viper hit it on the head .
Old 01-04-2006, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by laylow1988
i beleive he wants to know what parts to add or swap to make his engine as strong as possible to hold the amount of power he plans on making once supercharged and oovi'ed not to refresh his engine. i believe viper hit it on the head .

Old 01-04-2006, 11:02 AM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by nismology

He hasn't defined "strong" though
Old 01-05-2006, 01:47 PM

yeah - i agree with the second poster - you should consider building an entire engine - don't they make a stroker kit for the vq? i mean, that would be nice considering that you would be replacing rods - pistons, etc and bumping up the fuel system will help with the f/i
Old 01-06-2006, 09:40 AM

alright guys, sorry ive been away but I have the other motor that I want to "build." the vq stroker is a nice idea, never looked into that. I was thinkin new cam, rods, pistons, valves..but this will be my first project like this and I want it to be really dependable after I get done with it. So im also wanting to "refresh" it with new rings, bearings ect.. So basically im wondering if anyone has done something like this, if its worth it for the gains, and what all is could be needed?
Old 01-06-2006, 01:57 PM
SomePsychoGuy

Unless you are looking for 600whp+ (good luck doing that with SC) or are blowing motors from POWER and not fuel and tuning issues there is no need to swap in a new motor.

My advice: Do a compression test and see how the motor is holding up. There are people here who SC their car with 150-200k miles on their engine and it is fine. Knowing how your motor was taken care of also helps. If the engine is reading good numbers then put the SC on the engine that is in there now, unless you are ready to swap the engine on your own and can do it for very cheap. That way if the unforseeable happens and your engine blows then you have a spare one sitting right there. Try to do as few things at a time as much as is practical. That way you can troubleshoot what went wrong more easily.

If really want to swap in a new motor I say you skip all of the expensive parts (pistons, rods) as no one is really pushing a SCed VQ30 to the motor's limit. Some new gaskets, new seals, new pumps, check the bearings and get some ARP head studs would make for a realy solid motor. Fuel and tuning would be a better place to start before thinking about tearing down engines.

Lowering the CR would probably result in loss of power. Most who are building for turbo are not lowering that much, and with the proper air cooling I bet advancing the timing might help some get more power out of the SC.

Cams and boost are trickey. Cams are very expensive and although you might be able to pull some power from a set of cams, the $1000+ you would spend on parts alone could be spent better elsewhere. I would not recommend them unless you really know what you are doing, have money to spend, and are trying to get every Hp out of the SC as possible.

The VK45 valves would be a good mod, but once again pricey. Tilleys99 is the only one I know of who has actually done it, but he said it makes it rev like a rotary. Personally I would not tear down the engine just for that though.

Check out the TC/SC forum for common mods and other things you should do.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:52 PM
SLOW

^ what he said. From a practicality and cost stand point, building a motor for anything but the MOST EXTREME supercharged maxima ever is completely pointless. When I say most extreme I mean that you seriously plan on pulling 500hp out of an SC setup (good luck on that there are guys with $15,000 into their SC setup not even coming close to that).

So basically my advice is drop the whole idea. Buy a compression gauge and see what your compression looks like. If it's good then don't even blink and just do your supercharger on that motor. If it's not good then drop in a VQ from a junkyard for $400 and you are good to go.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:52 PM

alright thanks guys, well the car that I got has 200K on it and the motor I want to make more solid has 140K. I figure I can do that while im driving the other car because its sitting in my totalled max. I think im going to go the new seals, pumps, and gaskets route. and ill look into the ARP head studs..not real sure what those do yet. Thanks for all the input guys!
Old 01-07-2006, 09:16 PM

alright thanks guys, well the car that I got has 200K on it and the motor I want to make more solid has 140K. I figure I can do that while im driving the other car because its sitting in my totalled max. I think im going to go the new seals, pumps, and gaskets route. and ill look into the ARP head studs..not real sure what those do yet. Thanks for all the input guys!
If you REALLY want to make a motor like new, i would get new compression/oil rings and re-honing the cylinder walls, replace the main bearings and con-rod bearings as well, check the runout on all the journals and get the crank machined as necessary, check for crank endplay and replace the thrust bearings as necessary, remove the cylinder heads so a valve job can be performed at an automotive repair shop, replace the cam bearings, and get a new oil pump. All this adds up, and it's plain to see that buying a used junkyard motor is way more cost effictive. BTW, our heads are fastened to the block via bolts, not studs/nuts like other cars so ARP head BOLTS would be what you're looking for.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:26 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

it is absolutely silly to spend the time and money you talking about. It is safe to say that you will never push enough power through a SC to need to do all of this.

Do a compression check, if the numbers are acceptable then boost it. If the numbers are not then get a lower mileage VQ for a few hundred bucks and boost that one.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:05 PM

wow yeah thats a little too deep for what I was wanting to get in to. When I check the compression, what kind of numbers am I looking for?
Old 01-08-2006, 07:30 PM
SLOW

Consistency is really what you are looking for. You want all the cylinders to be as close to eachother as possible, with about a 10psi range is really good. Depending on how you do the compression test, how warm the motor is when you do it, the compression gauge, etc you should expect anything from 170 to 200 across the board.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:28 PM

[QUOTE=Nealoc187]^ what he said. From a practicality and cost stand point, building a motor for anything but the MOST EXTREME supercharged maxima ever is completely pointless. When I say most extreme I mean that you seriously plan on pulling 500hp out of an SC setup (good luck on that there are guys with $15,000 into their SC setup not even coming close to that).

Nealoc187,

I'm curious, do you mean 500 hp at the wheels or crank?
I'm hitting 400 at the front wheels and since this my every day ride I don't want to push much harder since reliability is important to me.
If one has the desire and money I say go with it, but we all know that most of the guys won't get very far because once you start, everything down the line has to be changed to do it right. This is why JWT won't program wild settings into our computers because he has broken enough motors and knows better.

Don't discourage guys from building motors, this is how we all learn!
Old 01-09-2006, 12:29 PM
SomePsychoGuy

BTW, our heads are fastened to the block via bolts, not studs/nuts like other cars so ARP head BOLTS would be what you're looking for.
From the factory our car uses bolts. ARP makes much stronger head studs for the VQ35 and they will work perfectly for the VQ30. Go to ARP's website and see their explanation of why studs are so much better for clamping force.

Originally Posted by Corky Bell
Head bolts are an accountant's decision. Head studs are an engineer's.
FYI: The ARP Main studs for the VQ35 will also fit, which I would also change it if you touch the bottom end, which you shouldn't, so don't worry about it. The ARP rod bolts for the VQ35 will not work however, but the VQ30's are much stronger than the VQ35's.

You don't need to worry about the engine. That is the Maxima's strongest point. VQ30s hold boost very well if everything else up right. You will know when you need to think about building engines. At this point there are far more important things for your to throw your money and time into like fuel setup, tuning, transmission strength, cooling, intake, exhaust, oiling, etc.

A new OEM headgasket and the ARP head studs are about the only thing I would consider needed for anything a SC can put out and what most turbos will put out in a maxima. The only real reason to change the oil and water pump and most of the other gaskets and seals is that they are a lot harder to change once in the engine bay.
If you were to go to all of this trouble I would wait and see how these engines hold up and get all of the kinks worked out in tuning and fuel. Then later think about a low mileage VQ30 or VQ35 and what you should do to them. An engine build is not something to rush, or go into blindly. If you have to ask what is needed then you don't need one.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:27 PM
SLOW

[QUOTE=i30krab]
Originally Posted by Nealoc187
^ what he said. From a practicality and cost stand point, building a motor for anything but the MOST EXTREME supercharged maxima ever is completely pointless. When I say most extreme I mean that you seriously plan on pulling 500hp out of an SC setup (good luck on that there are guys with $15,000 into their SC setup not even coming close to that).

Nealoc187,

I'm curious, do you mean 500 hp at the wheels or crank?
I'm hitting 400 at the front wheels and since this my every day ride I don't want to push much harder since reliability is important to me.
If one has the desire and money I say go with it, but we all know that most of the guys won't get very far because once you start, everything down the line has to be changed to do it right. This is why JWT won't program wild settings into our computers because he has broken enough motors and knows better.

Don't discourage guys from building motors, this is how we all learn!

I was talking about 500whp. I discourage people who know nothing about the subject at hand to build motors. The people who say "hey guys im putting a basic supercharger kit on my car and want to build my motor too!" You, I, and most everyone on this thread knows that building a motor for such a purpose is pointless as the stock motor can handle far more than a basic SC kit will ever produce.

The folks that are serious about building a motor don't come on the forum and say "hey guys I want to build my motor tell me what I need." People that have the means and knowhow just do it, they don't need to post and ask basic questions like almost every single built motor thread on the forums. They do the research for themselves and then do it.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by SPiG
From the factory our car uses bolts. ARP makes much stronger head studs for the VQ35 and they will work perfectly for the VQ30. Go to ARP's website and see their explanation of why studs are so much better for clamping force.
Mmmkay...
Old 01-09-2006, 05:47 PM

The folks that are serious about building a motor don't come on the forum and say "hey guys I want to build my motor tell me what I need." People that have the means and knowhow just do it, they don't need to post and ask basic questions like almost every single built motor thread on the forums. They do the research for themselves and then do it.
+farking1
Old 01-10-2006, 08:17 PM

so guys if you plan on building a motor dont mention any questions you have in any thread on the org..mmmk!..mmk! : )
Old 01-10-2006, 08:23 PM

so guys if you plan on building a motor dont mention any questions you have in any thread on the org..mmmk!..mmk! : )
He's trying to tell us something guys, i just know it. But i can't seem to decipher the language he's trying to use.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:18 PM
SLOW

I just play the odds. 99.99999% of the time someone posts a thread asking about a large undertaking, without really having the first clue what's involved, they realize after people reply that it's WAYYYY more expensive, time consuming, and difficult than they thought it would be, and often it's mostly or completely pointless. So they end up realizing it's way over their head, way beyond their budget, and not even worth doing, so they don't do it. The people who NEED to do it, and who are ABLE to do it traditionally already know what's involved, so they don't bother posting about it. Of course there are exceptions to this rule, but they are few and far between on the .org. I don't think this thread will "discourage" anyone from building a motor, I think it will just reduce the # of threads about building motors that end up just like this one did, with the OP realizing it's not worth going through with. It's not a bad thing, everyone learned this stuff the same way. No one was born knowing about motor building.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:19 PM
dot dot dot ...

Just because you cannot comprehend any of the answers doesn't mean you have to cloud this forum up with useless posts and threads.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:24 PM
dot dot dot ...

I just play the odds. 99.99999%

There are very few that have posted a question similar what this thread asks and have actually came through...

JClaw comes to mind.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:46 PM
SLOW

Originally Posted by NmexMAX

There are very few that have posted a question similar what this thread asks and have actually came through...

JClaw comes to mind.
Yes he did. I PMd him once about it back in the day letting him know it impressed me how he came through with all the things he planned. He was a noobs noob back in the day posting lots of fanciful questions and plans, I figured he was another one of those guys who wasn't gonna deliver, but he definately did. 3 cheers for JClaw lol.

My first post of course was about the possibility of using J30 headlights in the maxima because the shape looked almost identical but they were neato projectors lol wtf :
Old 01-10-2006, 11:04 PM
dot dot dot ...

My first post of course was about the possibility of using J30 headlights in the maxima because the shape looked almost identical but they were neato projectors lol wtf
Oh let's not go there... IBletsraceasolara

But that's why we have the right to tell some that they're full of dudu, and stfu... Because we were all there at one point. ..Or at least most of us..
Old 01-11-2006, 07:09 AM

its not even that I wanted to build A motor, i just wanted to know what direction to head in to make my motor w/150k good enough and strong/reliable enough to s/c. so being the all motor section I thought yall would know more about the motor aspect than the s/c section.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:49 PM

the stock motor is prob enough with the s/c with 150k - these motors are resilient. guys are running 12pounds of boost - getting like high 12s in the 1/4. unless that isnt fast enough for ya. 150k prob dosent need anything just have it checked out and replace the basics (gaskets, chains etc.). might go with beefy pistons but thats about it.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:36 AM

Yes he did. I PMd him once about it back in the day letting him know it impressed me how he came through with all the things he planned. He was a noobs noob back in the day posting lots of fanciful questions and plans, I figured he was another one of those guys who wasn't gonna deliver, but he definately did. 3 cheers for JClaw lol.
Yeah I remember that message of yours - I saw quite a few of my old posts that came up during a search and it was painful to realize how much of a tard I came across as (I mean that was only a year ago for chrissake). SR20DEN even blocked me at one time because I was too much of a pain in the @ss to deal with. But now I don't **** him off as bad.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by JClaw
Yeah I remember that message of yours - I saw quite a few of my old posts that came up during a search and it was painful to realize how much of a tard I came across as (I mean that was only a year ago for chrissake). SR20DEN even blocked me at one time because I was too much of a pain in the @ss to deal with. But now I don't **** him off as bad.
I remember those days. I also remember ignoring alot of your posts at one point...lol
Old 01-12-2006, 07:36 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

It's like it was yesterday

Quick Reply: I want to make my motor stronger