All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

00VI Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 12:31 PM

Ok thats awesome. I won't need an extra rear cover. I'll go that route then. Let me get the pic to show you. Ok the bottom cover is 4th gen obviously. The nipple off the right side is what I'm talking about.

Speed racer was saying to hook the pcv to the barb fitting on the right side. I thought pcv went to the 90 degree nipple. What am I missing?

:edit: Also Maximus...what are the dimensions of the bosses cut?
Old 11-19-2006, 01:42 PM
Shift_custom

hey cdq2125.. from the picture and explanation you are giving.. the barb fitting (on right side) = 90 degree nipple.. the nipple on the left side of the valve cover is what connects the rear valve cover to the front valve cover.. on that pic the brass nipple thats jb welded to the valve cover is where the pcv originally goes.. but clearance is an issue with the swap.. so its easier to put a 90 there and run a inline pcv..
Old 11-19-2006, 01:44 PM

Ok so barb fitting on the right side is pcv. The 90 degree nipple on the left side is what?
Old 11-19-2006, 02:18 PM
Shift_custom

hey speed.. in this picture is the EGR control solenoid that is controlling my CEL for the EGR hi/flow code.. it is normally hooked up to a nipple underneath the 4th Gen TB.. well since i am using the 5th gen TB and it doesnt have this nipple, i dont know where to connect it at.. and since you eliminated the vacuum gallery on your swap its hard for me to see where you have this sensor hooked up at.. if you could show me i would appreciate it..

Old 11-19-2006, 02:23 PM
Hella internets

Can anyone post pics of where they hooked up to vacum sources? Cause im pulling some codes up just recently for EVAP and some pressure sensor crap...i have no idea what it is..but im starting to think its lack of vacuum from the way i attached the smalle vacuum lines FROM the gallery to the VI.

These are the codes im pulling up:
08-03 = Absolute Pressure Sensor
09-03 = EVAP Canister vent control valve

i was mostly just curious, for pics of the gallery thats above the EGR valve and right underneath that TB, from there where did you guys run the lines?

BTW, this is a VERY helpfull thread, i had to figure this stuff out all by myself and FSM basically lol...
Old 11-19-2006, 02:24 PM
Shift_custom

Originally Posted by Cdg2125
Ok so barb fitting on the right side is pcv. The 90 degree nipple on the left side is what?
like i said in the previous post : "the nipple on the left side of the valve cover is what connects the rear valve cover to the front valve cover.."
Old 11-19-2006, 02:29 PM

Ok thanks Maximus. I forgot they had to be connected. I'm going to use the barbed fitting for the pcv valve. I'm thinking a 3/8 nipple.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:37 PM
Shift_custom

xerox - whats the other code (besides evap).. your vacuum issue with the evap can be fixed if you look in the FSM in the EC (engine control) section page 25.. its shows how the evap canister purge control valve hooks up to the vacuum gallery..
Old 11-19-2006, 02:40 PM
Hella internets

Originally Posted by 97Maximus
xerox - whats the other code (besides evap).. your vacuum issue with the evap can be fixed if you look in the FSM in the EC (engine control) section page 25.. its shows how the evap canister purge control valve hooks up to the vacuum gallery..
THe other code is absolute presure sensor...thats what confusing me...and i have looked at the vacuum diagram...im still pretty confused, cause i think i have everything hooked up properly...
Old 11-19-2006, 02:41 PM

Is there a section in the FSM that goes over the other hoses for the vacuum gallery? I've never searched through the entire thing. Just what I needed at the time.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:47 PM
Shift_custom

cdq2125 - i dont know exactly what size it is used.. that should work though.. also about the dimensions for cutting the bosses.. you just have to use logic.. you still want to have the same height as originally.. so when cutting the diagonal leave a little on the top and cut at an angle to achieve enough of the face to be cut off as shown in the pic..

cdq2125 - yes there is.. in the EC section.. there are enough diagrams to figure it all out..

xerox - the MAP sensor is whats causing your code.. it needs to be hooked up to the UIM..
Old 11-19-2006, 03:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

hey speed.. in this picture is the EGR control solenoid that is controlling my CEL for the EGR hi/flow code.. it is normally hooked up to a nipple underneath the 4th Gen TB.. well since i am using the 5th gen TB and it doesnt have this nipple, i dont know where to connect it at.. and since you eliminated the vacuum gallery on your swap its hard for me to see where you have this sensor hooked up at.. if you could show me i would appreciate it..

You need to route that to the manifold somehow. It need a vacuum from the intake manifold. You can connect a three way barb to a vacuum hose that's already going to the manifold to solve this or just connect it to where your fpr goes to the intake manifold. Remember my setups shows everything going to that one nipple on top of the manifold next where you connect for the pcv hose.
Old 11-19-2006, 03:30 PM
Hella internets

cdq2125 - i dont know exactly what size it is used.. that should work though.. also about the dimensions for cutting the bosses.. you just have to use logic.. you still want to have the same height as originally.. so when cutting the diagonal leave a little on the top and cut at an angle to achieve enough of the face to be cut off as shown in the pic..

cdq2125 - yes there is.. in the EC section.. there are enough diagrams to figure it all out..

xerox - the MAP sensor is whats causing your code.. it needs to be hooked up to the UIM..
But which one IS the MAP sensor? ive tried all sorts of different things...
Old 11-19-2006, 03:36 PM
Shift_custom

speedracer - i had mine setup like that before.. i had the egr sensor ran to the nipple next to where you connect the pcv hose.. and still got a code.. so it made me think that it needed to be closer to the TB like original.. so you have bot the the egr sensor and map sensor hooked up to the nipple next to where you connect the pcv hose and are not getting a CEL??
Old 11-19-2006, 03:39 PM
Shift_custom

xerox - i will take some pics for you to show you how i have it hooked up.. youll have to give a day or so.. i have alot going on tmrw and dont know if i can get to it.. but ill get you something soon..
Old 11-19-2006, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by XeroX
Can anyone post pics of where they hooked up to vacum sources? Cause im pulling some codes up just recently for EVAP and some pressure sensor crap...i have no idea what it is..but im starting to think its lack of vacuum from the way i attached the smalle vacuum lines FROM the gallery to the VI.

These are the codes im pulling up:
08-03 = Absolute Pressure Sensor
09-03 = EVAP Canister vent control valve

i was mostly just curious, for pics of the gallery thats above the EGR valve and right underneath that TB, from there where did you guys run the lines?

BTW, this is a VERY helpfull thread, i had to figure this stuff out all by myself and FSM basically lol...
Both those sensors need a vacuum source. Look in the FSM for the Absolute pressure sensor and evap canister purge control solenoid valve. I believe is pg. EC14 of the FSM. Now trace back those metal lines to see where the hoses connect to. The outlet of the metal lines will need a vacuum from the intake manifold.
Old 11-19-2006, 03:54 PM

speedracer - i had mine setup like that before.. i had the egr sensor ran to the nipple next to where you connect the pcv hose.. and still got a code.. so it made me think that it needed to be closer to the TB like original.. so you have bot the the egr sensor and map sensor hooked up to the nipple next to where you connect the pcv hose and are not getting a CEL??
I had this setup since April 06 and never got a code. A vacuum is a vacuum. It might be the sensor. Have you put a voltmeter on it to see if its functioning correctly.
Old 11-19-2006, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by speed racer
You need to route that to the manifold somehow. It need a vacuum from the intake manifold. You can connect a three way barb to a vacuum hose that's already going to the manifold to solve this or just connect it to where your fpr goes to the intake manifold. Remember my setups shows everything going to that one nipple on top of the manifold next where you connect for the pcv hose.
I believe I have the same problem and I will be rerouting it tomorrow,
Old 11-19-2006, 04:05 PM
Shift_custom

no i havent done that yet.. i will try that also.. see thats what i was thinking.. as long as it is hooked up to the UIM it should have the same amount of vacuum pressure at any point across the manifold..
Old 11-19-2006, 04:18 PM

By the way when I first did my setup I used the existing vacuum gallery yall are all using and did not connect anything to the TB since I was using the 5th gen. I had no codes and drove the car for 500 miles. The metal line sticking vertically up doesn't do anything at all if I remember correctly. You could put a rubber cap to close it up though.
Old 11-19-2006, 04:34 PM

So it doesnt really matter what the hoses hook up to as long as they have vacuum?
Old 11-19-2006, 04:39 PM

That's correct. Vacuum from the manifold.
Old 11-19-2006, 05:01 PM

Sounds good. Im not as worried now since I know I can do that. If I do eliminate the vacuum gallery, how many t's should I be needing?
Old 11-19-2006, 05:17 PM

I used 3 t's. Just look at my early post.
Old 11-19-2006, 05:25 PM

I just didnt know if you had more not in the picture. Did you use speficic hoses as the bases? I dont know if some off the UIM shouldnt be t'd or not.
Old 11-19-2006, 05:31 PM

All of them were 3/16" hoses. There's only one place to connect to and that's the nipple on top of the UIM next to where you connect the pcv hose. All vacuum lines that are 3/16" can connect to that one nipple.
Old 11-19-2006, 05:43 PM

Ok so off the 3/16 FPR nipple everything can be t'd into that. I have to drill my manifold for the nipple on the left of the PCV nipple since that was jb welded on my manifold. That nipple I need to drill is supposed to be used for the FPR I think....Maybe I'll drill for a bigger nipple so all those hoses can be vacuumed from that source. I was planning on using 5/16 tho, should I just use the 3/16?
Old 11-19-2006, 06:34 PM

I wouldn't reinvent the wheel. Stick to 3/16" and retap that manifold. Like I said I have practically all my vacuum lines going into that one nipple.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:45 PM
Shift_custom

gtr let me know if you get that to work.. i have tried hooking it up the way speed said to and still got a code.. i dont know if i have a bad sensor or not (still have to check that).. but if it works for two ppl it is probably certain i have a bad sensor.. thanks
Old 11-19-2006, 07:48 PM
Hella internets

Originally Posted by speed racer
Both those sensors need a vacuum source. Look in the FSM for the Absolute pressure sensor and evap canister purge control solenoid valve. I believe is pg. EC14 of the FSM. Now trace back those metal lines to see where the hoses connect to. The outlet of the metal lines will need a vacuum from the intake manifold.
I have looked in the FSM for this, and to be honest as far as I'm concerned i have it hooked up "properly"

xerox - i will take some pics for you to show you how i have it hooked up.. youll have to give a day or so.. i have alot going on tmrw and dont know if i can get to it.. but ill get you something soon..
Thanks alot! I have been driving around with it like this for a minute, a week wont hurt If you can get me pics, they will be MUCH appreciated, no rush at all

Seams like everyone has a different way of running the vacuum lines, i dont think i have seen the same "setup" more than once from what i have looked at on the org.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:33 PM
Banned

Here is what i put together to possibly help some of you out. I noticed that some of the maximas have one if the tubes on the vacuum galley empty while others are used....dunno if thats how they came stock or not. anyways, here is how mine is hooked up. If someone can get me a clear pic of the vacuum galley itself I can make a better diagram.

Old 11-20-2006, 05:25 PM
Shift_custom

goldtooth - thanks for those pics.. thats how i have everything hooked up.. if you look in post #52 you will see a pic i posted.. in that pic you will see a metal vacuum line with an arrow pointing to it with no hose on it.. where do you have that routed to?? thats the only other question i have.. thanks -Jason
Old 11-20-2006, 05:33 PM
Banned

i dont think i have that metal vacuum line.....and please tell me if u have any vacuum lines going to under the throttle body, because i do not....there is just a covered nipple under mine, and i never touched it, thats how it was since stock. it s all probably cuz mine is a 99
Old 11-20-2006, 05:37 PM

This may be a PITA ? but what do you guys think about the vacuum gallery? Do you think I should just eliminate it? Seems like you guys have more problems keeping the gallery and not as much with t'd hoses. Plus, what was the hose that usually goes under the tb? I have a custom nipple that krismax put on my block for that hose...thanks
Old 11-20-2006, 10:37 PM
Hella internets

hmm very good pics!

Wut about the boost sensor tho? i saw that on the dek motor i pulled the VI off of, but we dont have that on the 4th gens do we? also what the hell is that? haha
Old 11-20-2006, 11:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by XeroX
hmm very good pics!

Wut about the boost sensor tho? i saw that on the dek motor i pulled the VI off of, but we dont have that on the 4th gens do we? also what the hell is that? haha
We do have the Boost sensor aka Ram Air sensor on the 4th gens but what is does is beyond me, lol.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:40 AM
Shift_custom

off topic but goldtooth.. do you plan on attending maxus this year?? since itll be in chicago..
Old 11-21-2006, 01:34 PM
Banned

I dont see why not.....but yeah, I wanna go to it unless something unexpected pops up.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:05 PM

I located the unsupplied hose running from the EGR solenoid and plugged it to vacuum on monday. I didnt reset the ECU afterward I noticed today that my CEL just went out.. The bulb is still working, ( streetz) and I started the car several times after discovering the resolved CEL and it hasnt yet come back.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:32 PM

I think the key to alot of this cell stuff is working from the sensors.

Quick Reply: 00VI Starting Problem