All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

? about shift-fast mod

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 11:49 AM

Did you test which spots are the output on the gang buttons?
Old 12-03-2006, 01:45 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by Cdg2125
Did you test which spots are the output on the gang buttons?
I can rule that out for now, because I'm having the same issue as I had with my previous, toggle-operated version that had an on/off to it. It's looking like this on/off switch is the issue here, because once I eliminated it from the equation with the toggle-operated shift_fast, it worked fine and did it's job.

Here, no matter what position the on/off switch is in and no matter what gear I have selected on the gang switch, the TCU/tranny function "normally." It's almost like the switches are somehow being bypassed because I wired it wrong or something
Old 12-03-2006, 02:04 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by Tatanko
Ahh it didn't work

This time I had it wired as follows:

1. B and E were the input from the TCU.
2. C and F went to the 4-gang switch.
3. A and D went to the tranny.

4. H and K got input from C and F (respectively).
5. G and J went to the tranny. (1ST GEAR)
6. I and L were ignored.

7. Q got input from F.
8. P went to the tranny. (2ND GEAR)
9. M, N, O, and R were ignored.

10. S, T, U, V, W, and X were ignored. (3RD GEAR)

11. Z got input from C.
12. Y went to the tranny. (4TH GEAR)
13. A2, B2, C2, and D2 were ignored.

WHY DOESN'T THIS WORK?!?!?! AHHH!!! haha
Have you thought about the fact that you want the OUTPUT pair FROM the TCU to go to BOTH the 4-gang selector switch AND to the "NORMAL" side of the NORMAL/RACE switch?

This way, the NORMAL/RACE switch controls the solenoids from either the TCU directly or from the switch bank. Heh.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:14 PM

Why would you have it go to the switch and the 4-gang? What would that do? Having the wires go to the switch is supposed to control which way the power will go normal(back to the tcu) or race(over to the 4-gang).
Old 12-03-2006, 02:15 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by grey99max
Have you thought about the fact that you want the OUTPUT pair FROM the TCU to go to BOTH the 4-gang selector switch AND to the "NORMAL" side of the NORMAL/RACE switch?

This way, the NORMAL/RACE switch controls the solenoids from either the TCU directly or from the switch bank. Heh.
I do have the output going to both. That's just it. I have 2 "A" wires and 2 "B" wires coming from the switch bank (since that's all that gets used, A+B, B, neither, A) that join together and then a single "A" and single "B" coming from the race/normal switch that join the wires coming from the switch bank.

In my head the way I have it setup should work perfectly. I just don't get it

EDIT: I just read cdg's post and reread your post and I don't get what you're saying.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:19 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

I do have the output going to both. That's just it. I have 2 "A" wires and 2 "B" wires coming from the switch bank (since that's all that gets used, A+B, B, neither, A) that join together and then a single "A" and single "B" coming from the race/normal switch that join the wires coming from the switch bank.

In my head the way I have it setup should work perfectly. I just don't get it

EDIT: I just read cdg's post and reread your post and I don't get what you're saying.
The output from the switch - the center poles - go to the transmission.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:20 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Why would you have it go to the switch and the 4-gang? What would that do? Having the wires go to the switch is supposed to control which way the power will go normal(back to the tcu) or race(over to the 4-gang).

No - you're supposed to be feeding the transmission solenoids - not the transmission computer.

The wires from the transmission control computer go to one side of the Normal/Race switch - the same wires from the transmission control computer ALSO go to the switch bank. The output from the switch bank goes to the other side of the Normal/Race switch - which feeds to the actual transmission.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:24 PM

Wait....you should have the A and B wire feeding to the tcu and the 4gang correct? You may need to supply power to each switch section. How many spots are the per switch?

The center spots on the switch are the inputs. Why do they go back to the original tcu wires if the two other wires will do that?
Old 12-03-2006, 02:30 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Wait....you should have the A and B wire feeding to the tcu and the 4gang correct? You may need to supply power to each switch section. How many spots are the per switch?
No - the TCU A and B wires go to BOTH one side of the Normal/Race switch AND to the 4-gang switch. In Normal, the switch completes the circuit for A and B to the transmission. In Race, since the A and B wires always feed the switch bank, then the switch bank output goes to the Race switch position, which feeds the transmission solenoids. This way, the Normal/Race switch controls which pair of A and B signals go to the transmission.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:32 PM
Bacon Lover

No - you're supposed to be feeding the transmission solenoids - not the transmission computer.

The wires from the transmission control computer go to one side of the Normal/Race switch - the same wires from the transmission control computer ALSO go to the switch bank. The output from the switch bank goes to the other side of the Normal/Race switch - which feeds to the actual transmission.
What you're saying makes no sense. I understand that you're feeding the solenoids, that much I get. But your explanation of how the wires need to be fed makes no sense given how a DPDT switch works.

Why would the wires from the TCU not go into the CENTER of the race/normal switch? If they do indeed need to go to one side or another, that's my problem. I have the wires FROM the TCU going into the center of the race/normal switch.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:33 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

What you're saying makes no sense. I understand that you're feeding the solenoids, that much I get. But your explanation of how the wires need to be fed makes no sense given how a DPDT switch works.

Why would the wires from the TCU not go into the CENTER of the race/normal switch? If they do indeed need to go to one side or another, that's my problem. I have the wires FROM the TCU going into the center of the race/normal switch.
Yup, that's the problem. Remember, I've built a couple of versions of the Shift_Fast that work as-advertised.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:34 PM

still makes no sense to me. I thought the DPDT switch has input in the center. then the top and bottom points were outputs....?
Old 12-03-2006, 02:39 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

There is no other output from the switch bank. Each button has its own spots that get wired to the solenoid wires. I dont understand how what you're saying makes sense. Feed directly to the bank and the switch? How does that work?

OK - you wired the switch bank so that both A and B wires from the TCU go to three of the four switches, right? 3rd gear is actually both solenoids off, so no wiring needed for 3rd gear. The same A and B wires go to 1st, 2nd, and 4th gear buttons. You have an A and B wire leaving the switch bank, right? These two go to the RACE side of the Normal/Race switch. The TCU A and B wires go to the Normal side of that DPDT switch. The switch bank decides whether the A wire and the B wire are actually energized, depending on the gear you selected. The output from the switch bank goes to the Normal/Race switch.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:40 PM
Bacon Lover

So if I switch my wires around and have the input going into one side of the DPDT switch, what positions do I need to have the toggle switch in to do their corresponding functions?

Like, for example, let's say input is on the "bottom," normal is the "middle," and the race is on "top." Would that work? Would I simply leave it in the center-off position for normal and flip it up to "top" for race?
Old 12-03-2006, 02:41 PM
Bacon Lover

OK - you wired the switch bank so that both A and B wires go to three of the four switches, right. 3rd gear is actually both solenoids off, so no wiring needed for 3rd gear. The same A and B wires go to 1st, 2nd, and 4th gear buttons. You have an A and B wire leaving the switch bank, right? These two go to the RACE side of the Normal/Race switch. The TCU A and B wires go to the Normal side of that DPDT switch.
Wow that post left me a little confused. Could you possibly use the diagrams I made with the 5 DPDT's on them to explain this in detail a little better?
Old 12-03-2006, 02:44 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

So if I switch my wires around and have the input going into one side of the DPDT switch, what positions do I need to have the toggle switch in to do their corresponding functions?

Like, for example, let's say input is on the "bottom," normal is the "middle," and the race is on "top." Would that work? Would I simply leave it in the center-off position for normal and flip it up to "top" for race?

The NORMAL/RACE switch must be DPDT with no center-off position. None. Nada. Just NORMAL or RACE...
Old 12-03-2006, 02:45 PM
Bacon Lover

The NORMAL/RACE switch must be DPDT with no center-off position. None. Nada. Just NORMAL or RACE...
Then what's the point in it being DPDT? Why not just DPST?
Old 12-03-2006, 02:47 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Then what's the point in it being DPDT? Why not just DPST?

I've gotta go out and tend to some business. I'll work on this later with you guys. Sheesh, you're gonna make me draw this one out, aren't you ?
Old 12-03-2006, 02:49 PM
Bacon Lover

I've gotta go out and tend to some business. I'll work on this later with you guys. Sheesh, you're gonna make me draw this one out, aren't you ?
I already drew it out for you. You can use my picture to explain it like I tried to explain how I have it wired up right now. Not really all that hard. Take the 5 minutes to write it out using my diagram and I will paypal you 1 dolla
Old 12-03-2006, 02:52 PM

It just doesnt make any sense when you explain it. It needs to be drawn out. I thought having the power go into one part of the switch then routing back to the tcu wires and having the other side go to the switch bank would work. But apparently not. drawing is a must now.
Old 12-03-2006, 03:38 PM
Bacon Lover

A drawing is definitely going to be needed. I think I have the concept down in my head, but if I'm using a DPDT center-off switch I think that's going to screw things up a little. I wonder if I can get away with having the center-off switch as long as I don't use the center pins?
Old 12-03-2006, 05:05 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

A drawing is definitely going to be needed. I think I have the concept down in my head, but if I'm using a DPDT center-off switch I think that's going to screw things up a little. I wonder if I can get away with having the center-off switch as long as I don't use the center pins?
This is the original schematic diagram I posted some time ago. Study this and you should see what I meant....

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...SHIFT_FAST.jpg

Classy, huh ?
Old 12-03-2006, 05:44 PM
Bacon Lover

I'm starting to understand how you have it there. My question is, can I make the race/normal switch work with a DPDT center-off, or does it have to be a "standard" DPDT?
Old 12-03-2006, 06:26 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

I'm starting to understand how you have it there. My question is, can I make the race/normal switch work with a DPDT center-off, or does it have to be a "standard" DPDT?
If you use a center-off switch and leave the switch in the center position, then you are stuck in 3rd gear - both A and B solenoids not energized... no other harm done.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:24 PM
Bacon Lover

Alright dude, I thought I understood your diagram. I thought I FINALLY got it.

Nope.

Wired everything up completely different. Even tried switching some wires around. Any and all combinations resulted in: the switches being bypassed and the TCU being operated normally (regardless of what position the normal/race switch was in) or being stuck in gear (i.e. 3rd or 4th). Yes, all my connections were good.

I JUST DON'T GET IT.

You're going to have to make a diagram of how you think this push-button setup is supposed to work, because I just can't do it. No matter what I try, it does the same thing. I give up...
Old 12-03-2006, 07:36 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Alright dude, I thought I understood your diagram. I thought I FINALLY got it.

Nope.

Wired everything up completely different. Even tried switching some wires around. Any and all combinations resulted in: the switches being bypassed and the TCU being operated normally (regardless of what position the normal/race switch was in) or being stuck in gear (i.e. 3rd or 4th). Yes, all my connections were good.

I JUST DON'T GET IT.

You're going to have to make a diagram of how you think this push-button setup is supposed to work, because I just can't do it. No matter what I try, it does the same thing. I give up...
Get a good night's sleep, look my diagram over, be sure you understand what goes on with my working version. Slow is good... You've got something wrong in your concept of how this mod works... Flush the brain, study the diagram... Stare into my eyes.... no, that's for the college girls....
Old 12-03-2006, 07:41 PM
Bacon Lover

Get a good night's sleep, look my diagram over, be sure you understand what goes on with my working version. Slow is good... You've got something wrong in your concept of how this mod works... Flush the brain, study the diagram... Stare into my eyes.... no, that's for the college girls....
Ok, but I thought I understood it. I'm a person who either gets it or doesn't. If I don't understand your diagram now, a night's sleep isn't going to help. As far as I'm concerned, mine is wired exactly like the diagram you linked to. Only difference is I have the wires split that are going TO the switch bank (since there are multiple switches vs. a single toggle switch controlling the gears). That is the only difference I implemented.

I even switched wires around thinking maybe I had them backwards. Nope. No dice. Nothing works.

EDIT: I have one more combination I can try tomorrow, and I want to try insulating things from each other a little bit better (on the overkill side). It's getting way too late to try it tonight...I hope to god it works tomorrow, though.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:13 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

Ok, but I thought I understood it. I'm a person who either gets it or doesn't. If I don't understand your diagram now, a night's sleep isn't going to help. As far as I'm concerned, mine is wired exactly like the diagram you linked to. Only difference is I have the wires split that are going TO the switch bank (since there are multiple switches vs. a single toggle switch controlling the gears). That is the only difference I implemented.

I even switched wires around thinking maybe I had them backwards. Nope. No dice. Nothing works.

EDIT: I have one more combination I can try tomorrow, and I want to try insulating things from each other a little bit better (on the overkill side). It's getting way too late to try it tonight...I hope to god it works tomorrow, though.
Well, being "wired exactly" isn't the same as "only difference is" ....... If you wire exactly as shown, then your results will be exactly the same as my mod - it will work.

Years of personal experience says "don't try to justify what you've done wrong - just fix it". Sorry for the slam, but everybody modding a car needs to be able to go back a step, if something doesn't work, and try and understand why it doesn't work. That happens to me - a lot, lately, but I'm going to solve my 330' issues by re-examining everything I'm doing, and correcting whatever looks or feels bad to me. Replacing the nitrous feed lines with larger lines is one step. Re-dynoing is another, along with re-tuning if required.

I did learn that cutting spray during gear-change is a Good Thing. It took feedback from several people, but I got it....
Old 12-04-2006, 12:27 PM
Bacon Lover

AHH IT WORKS! IT WORKS, IT WORKS, IT WORKS! I am so happy

Well, sorta. I got 1st through 3rd to work. 4th I believe was only not working due to a loose connection, which I'm going to fix and test over again.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:22 PM

Awesome Pat. Did you swap it like grey told us?
Old 12-04-2006, 01:34 PM
Bacon Lover

Awesome Pat. Did you swap it like grey told us?
I dunno what it is you're referring to "swapping," but I pretty much redid my wiring entirely. I used the same concept, but started fresh with his input. Not really sure how to explain it.

Also, I can get 1st through 3rd to work flawlessly but can't get the transmission to shift into 4th with the switch bank. I've checked for loose connections, made sure everything was insulated (so nothing was touching), etc. I've run out of ideas as to why it won't work. Given that no one has ever tried this before are we SURE 4th is indeed "A"-only?
Old 12-04-2006, 01:45 PM
Kevlo for President

So how fast does it shift
Old 12-04-2006, 02:05 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
So how fast does it shift
Try it for yourself and find out

Let's put it this way, other than sheer number of gears and the gearing, this gives you no reason to have a 5-speed at the track
Old 12-04-2006, 02:13 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Old 12-04-2006, 02:16 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Given that no one has ever tried this before are we SURE 4th is indeed "A"-only?
I'm not sure, yet, - but the FSM defines each solenoid for each gear. Sounds like you have a little more cross-checking to do.

Good job.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:26 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Oh, while you're "up" on this mod, how would you feel about another mod that extends the rev limit of your stock ECU to 8000 RPM? That doesn't require anything other than a piggyback card wired to the injectors? That doesn't affect the ECU in any way? That is potentially cheap - $100.00 ???

Old 12-04-2006, 04:18 PM
Bacon Lover

I'm not sure, yet, - but the FSM defines each solenoid for each gear. Sounds like you have a little more cross-checking to do.

Good job.
Gahh I know it's driving me nuts not being able to figure out why. The solution should be right in front of my face! lol
Oh, while you're "up" on this mod, how would you feel about another mod that extends the rev limit of your stock ECU to 8000 RPM? That doesn't require anything other than a piggyback card wired to the injectors? That doesn't affect the ECU in any way? That is potentially cheap - $100.00 ???

You have my attention
Old 12-04-2006, 04:28 PM
Kevlo for President

The timing is very odd past 6500(mine jumped like 5-6 degrees) so it might not be too boost/nitrous friendly. You will need something to control timing as well.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:39 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
The timing is very odd past 6500(mine jumped like 5-6 degrees) so it might not be too boost/nitrous friendly. You will need something to control timing as well.

Thanks - something else to check w/conzult....

My 4-gang switches are "in the mail" - I'll grind out a working 4-gang shifter when the parts are here. It's cake to install an assembled unit.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:08 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Gahh I know it's driving me nuts not being able to figure out why. The solution should be right in front of my face! lol

You have my attention

I just doubled-checked the FSM manual, and 4th gear is "A -closed" "B open", which matches what you expected.

The first major step with the stock ECU is to defeat the programmed fuel-cut at 6550 RPM. This can be done by a piggyback circuit that controls each injector solenoid so that if: A. you go WOT and B. you exceed 6550, each injector will continue to spray at the same timing it did at 6500 RPM, on up until your engine flys apart.

If you don't go WOT, then fuel-cut rules apply. You can adjust each injector's timing with a variable resistor and red/green LED, so the change from ECU control to piggyback control is seamless if you exceed 6550 AND go WOT.

Until I build and test the whole thing, no guarantees, but this looks fairly simple to do. I'm sure there will other surprises, but I want to do this for myself. More to follow. Hey, the UPS guy just delivered two 4-gang switches - the ones w/o the box - and they look good! More fun.

Quick Reply: ? about shift-fast mod