All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

? about shift-fast mod

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 05:19 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by grey99max
Thanks - something else to check w/conzult....

My 4-gang switches are "in the mail" - I'll grind out a working 4-gang shifter when the parts are here. It's cake to install an assembled unit.
Are you saying you'd be willing to get one to work and possibly ship it to me?
Old 12-04-2006, 06:47 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by Tatanko
Are you saying you'd be willing to get one to work and possibly ship it to me?
I had signed up Kevlo911 to test installing and using one, in another "automatic transmission" thread in this forum. I thought you had this pretty well whipped, as soon as you get 4th gear working.

You've got everything I have to work with to do the shift_fast ... ??
Old 12-04-2006, 06:56 PM

Well I'm pissed my idea didn't work for Pat. Guess I'll need to know how you did it Pat lol.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:09 PM
Bacon Lover

I had signed up Kevlo911 to test installing and using one, in another "automatic transmission" thread in this forum. I thought you had this pretty well whipped, as soon as you get 4th gear working.

You've got everything I have to work with to do the shift_fast ... ??
I do have it whipped, I just need the 4th gear issue sorted out. I can't figure it out for the life of me, though, so if you manage to get one working let me know how you did it so I can fix my own wiring. I dunno...maybe I'll go back and do all the wiring from scratch again just to be sure I did all the connections ok, but AFAIK everything is perfect.

Just lemme know if you get 4th working
Old 12-04-2006, 07:11 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by Cdg2125
Well I'm pissed my idea didn't work for Pat. Guess I'll need to know how you did it Pat lol.
Patience
Old 12-04-2006, 07:45 PM

I'm focusing on my patience on this 00vi haha. No more left.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:16 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

I do have it whipped, I just need the 4th gear issue sorted out. I can't figure it out for the life of me, though, so if you manage to get one working let me know how you did it so I can fix my own wiring. I dunno...maybe I'll go back and do all the wiring from scratch again just to be sure I did all the connections ok, but AFAIK everything is perfect.

Just lemme know if you get 4th working
So what happens when you punch the 4th gear button ??
Old 12-04-2006, 08:32 PM
Bacon Lover

So what happens when you punch the 4th gear button ??
Nothing. It just stays in 3rd.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:19 AM
Kevlo for President

Is the overdrive light on?
Old 12-05-2006, 07:17 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

Nothing. It just stays in 3rd.
Weirdness. If you can check the voltage on the A solenoid wire going to the transmission, when idling and in 4th gear, you will verify your wiring.

You know, it sounds like this project needs a LED on both the A and B solenoid wires going to the transmission. This would make troubleshooting much simpler. Maybe Red for A and Green for B.....
Old 12-05-2006, 12:26 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
Is the overdrive light on?
Nope. Occasionally it will blink a couple times when I start the car in "race" mode, though, but it doesn't stay on, and it doesn't do it all the time
Weirdness. If you can check the voltage on the A solenoid wire going to the transmission, when idling and in 4th gear, you will verify your wiring.

You know, it sounds like this project needs a LED on both the A and B solenoid wires going to the transmission. This would make troubleshooting much simpler. Maybe Red for A and Green for B.....
Ok but I only have 1 wire going to the "A" on the transmission from the switches. I have 2 A wires coming from the switch bank, one from the 1st gear button and one from the 4th gear button. They actually Y into one wire and go to the "race" side of the R/N switch. 1st gear works, but 4th doesn't, so that has to mean that the wire is fine there, and I double-checked where the Y is, and it's a very secure connection (soldered) so it can't be the problem. I also have the "input" from the TCU (that goes to the switch bank AND the R/N switch) doing the same Y thing, one to the 1st gear switch and one to the 4th gear switch. Same deal, I have the same secure connection there (soldered well).

It's also worth mentioning I used all the "B" wiring (for 1st and 2nd gears) the same exact way (the same "Y" method and everything else) and it functions perfectly. I may hook the thing up in my driveway and shift around and see what happens when I push 4th gear. Staying in 3rd gear when I hit the button for 4th sort of makes sense, but only if I had a loose connection or something, in which case it wouldn't be activating solenoid A and it would stay in 3rd (just like it is doing).

I dunno...time to investigate with the multimeter.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:05 PM
Bacon Lover

Interesting results from the multimeter testing...

When the 4th gear switch is pushed, it is seeing both 12v in and 12v out. I double-checked that the R/N switch is indeed seeing the 12v in/out as well when the 4th gear switch is pushed. I also checked against all the other switches and they perform exactly as expected as far as when the switches see/don't see 12v.

Sooo this confirms that my switch is indeed wired correctly and that there are no loose connections. It's doing it's job. The shift_fast is sending a 12v signal for solenoid A. So why, then, is it not shifting into 4th? That is the question.

...and yes, my 4th gear is working fine. The tranny shifts into 4th during normal operation just like it always does. Still no manual control over it, though!

So this begs the question then, is it more complicated than simply sending a 12v signal? Is there something else we need to change/bypass?
Old 12-05-2006, 01:13 PM

Seems as tho there is something more. I wouldnt expect there to be tho.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:18 PM
Bacon Lover

My only guess is that it is somehow tied into the O/D "system," meaning the button and everything associated with turning it on/off. I have tried this with the O/D both on and off, though, and it made no difference.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:22 PM
Kevlo for President

If I didn't have finals I'd do some research of the fsm. So if you guys don't have it figured out by next week, ill look into it.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:41 PM
Bacon Lover

If I didn't have finals I'd do some research of the fsm. So if you guys don't have it figured out by next week, ill look into it.
Thanks. I appreciate it, and I'm sure cdg does as well.

On another note, I was flipping through the FSM and found what each of the wires is on that particular plug going to the tranny (that has the 2 wires for solenoid A and B) and got curious since I had no clue what an "overrun clutch solenoid valve" would do and came across this:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5146891.html

Originally Posted by freepatentsonline.com
In the latter case, both fuel supply recovery and fuel supply cut-off engine revolution speeds are set to higher values than those when the clutch solenoid is turned off (deenergized).
Controls the fuel cut-off for an automatic transmission-equipped car?
Old 12-05-2006, 01:52 PM
Kevlo for President

My auto redline is controlled by EU I wouldnt worry about all that
Old 12-05-2006, 02:04 PM
Bacon Lover

My auto redline is controlled by EU I wouldnt worry about all that
Well some of us don't have a bunch of money invested in engine management lol jk

I haven't figured out much of anything from looking at the FSM. So far all I know is that the O/D switch "prohibits a shift to D4 (overdrive) position, to the TCM." Apparently there is an overdrive control circuit somewhere in this mess, but I can't seem to find any diagrams of it
Old 12-05-2006, 02:27 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Well some of us don't have a bunch of money invested in engine management lol jk

I haven't figured out much of anything from looking at the FSM. So far all I know is that the O/D switch "prohibits a shift to D4 (overdrive) position, to the TCM." Apparently there is an overdrive control circuit somewhere in this mess, but I can't seem to find any diagrams of it
Just a guess, but remember that you are locked into 1st gear on the console shifter, and this may override many things, like the ability to shift into 4th gear with a button. If you rummage the FSM Automatic Transmission section you will find references to other control wires and functions, which are all a mystery to me.

But, you are locked into 1st gear on the console.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:45 PM
Bacon Lover

But, you are locked into 1st gear on the console.
I'll make a note of that. At the same time, though, I have to counter that point.

Even locked into 1st, I don't see how it should affect anything. Where I tapped in, I'm essentially bypassing all other systems. I'm tapping into the wires pretty much right where they go into the transmission. Also, if being in 1st were such a limiting factor, how are we able to simply shift into 2nd and 3rd with nothing holding us back?

Not saying you're wrong, just throwing out some thoughts.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:43 PM

I dont understand why you need to keep it in 1st if the bank will switch gears anyway. If the bank controls up and down shifting why does it need to stay in 1st?
Old 12-05-2006, 05:21 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

I'll make a note of that. At the same time, though, I have to counter that point.

Even locked into 1st, I don't see how it should affect anything. Where I tapped in, I'm essentially bypassing all other systems. I'm tapping into the wires pretty much right where they go into the transmission. Also, if being in 1st were such a limiting factor, how are we able to simply shift into 2nd and 3rd with nothing holding us back?

Not saying you're wrong, just throwing out some thoughts.
Me, too... but pulling the tranny into 1st gear does several things, I bet. If something that should work doesn't work, you need to look outside the box..
Old 12-05-2006, 05:25 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

I dont understand why you need to keep it in 1st if the bank will switch gears anyway. If the bank controls up and down shifting why does it need to stay in 1st?
Because Jime said so....... This is an offshoot of his idea.

Pulling into first overrides the normal shifting controls that makes your automatic shift so smoothly and accelerate so slowly. I'm sure there are other factors, but you won't be a believer until you do it. So do it - shift_fast.

Old 12-05-2006, 05:31 PM

Well I understand about holding it at first because he said so but I dont remember it being explained. If the bank is controlling the shifting anyway why does it need to be in 1st? You're overriding the shifting anyway right? It doesn't really matter I'm just wondering. Thought it might have to do with the problem with 4th gear.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:41 PM
Bacon Lover

Me, too... but pulling the tranny into 1st gear does several things, I bet. If something that should work doesn't work, you need to look outside the box..
Very true. I'm still looking into it...slowly.
Well I understand about holding it at first because he said so but I dont remember it being explained. If the bank is controlling the shifting anyway why does it need to be in 1st? You're overriding the shifting anyway right? It doesn't really matter I'm just wondering. Thought it might have to do with the problem with 4th gear.
The reason you put it into 1st is because that sends 12v to both solenoid A and solenoid B. Then from there the shift_fast switch(es) basically either continue that flow on to the transmission or interrupt it and therefore cause a shift. Also, keeping it in 1st eliminates problems related to the transmission computer wanting to make a shift.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:32 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

Just received 4-gang switches in a small box.

Last night UPS delivered the two 4-gang DPDT interlocked switches-in-a-box I had ordered. They look pretty good. I'll have to mount a Normal/Race DPDT switch on the box, then I can wire up one and test it.

Some progress, I guess..... If it works OK, I'll box and ship those two items to Kevlo911, as promised.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:33 AM

Ay Tatanko, is the new setup up on your homepage(writeup) or you haven't put it up yet... I still have not been able to even START my project because i still dont understand everything cleary. Im going to read through these 5 pages and hopefully that helps me
Old 12-07-2006, 09:31 AM
Kevlo for President

http://www.powertraincontrolsolution...content-4.html

We should use something like that and swap the 5speed auto in
Old 12-07-2006, 11:19 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

http://www.powertraincontrolsolution...content-4.html

We should use something like that and swap the 5speed auto in

Hummm... Would the 5-spd auto tranny fit onto our motors and into the 4th gen cars? All the usual stuff, like flywheel, torque converter, bellhousing, starter, axles, sensors, and mounts? I guess if the 4th gen auto fits on later 3.5s, maybe the opposite is true ?? This would be the biggest problem, I would think. Axles and sensors would be the major issues to explore, if the thing would fit at all.

After digging into the shift_fast mod, I bet something could be fabricated to shift the 5-spd autos - have to explore the FSM first, though. Would need to know all the wires connected to the 5-spd and what they do. I bet something could be done with the electronics, driven from the 4th gen TCU.

Is there a VLSD version of any of the 5-spds? Without that, it ain't worth worryin' about it. Is there a performance gain from the 5-spd? I sure don't need a lower first gear, but an extra gear spaced evenly through the range of gears could be nice.....

Hummmm.... Maybe a 3.5 w/attached 5spd tranny is the new swap of choice.

If there was some way to add the 3.0 cam timing sensor to a stock 3.5, then swaps may be simpler...
Old 12-07-2006, 11:32 AM
Kevlo for President

The 5speed auto has much better gearing. I think we would have to mod the flexplate/flywheel just like the 6speed swap. I am guessin the transmission has the same hole for the speed sensor like the 6speed. The axles should fit and I dunno if there is a vlsd or nonvlsd.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:40 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by ghostmax301
Ay Tatanko, is the new setup up on your homepage(writeup) or you haven't put it up yet... I still have not been able to even START my project because i still dont understand everything cleary. Im going to read through these 5 pages and hopefully that helps me
I don't have a new one up yet, sorry. I've been preoccupied with the pushbutton version. I'll have a new one up shortly, I hope.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:11 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

The 5speed auto has much better gearing. I think we would have to mod the flexplate/flywheel just like the 6speed swap. I am guessin the transmission has the same hole for the speed sensor like the 6speed. The axles should fit and I dunno if there is a vlsd or nonvlsd.
Gotta admit, this is interesting.. Now I gotta look at the 2004 FSM tonight and see what it says about options like VLSD. Interesting......
Old 12-07-2006, 02:29 PM

I like that 5spd idea. grey, let us know what you find out about fitment and such.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:01 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

A follow-up on the VLSD issue - according to car-part.com, only the 2002 Altima V6 has a "locking" transmission available. I looked, and they are out there, and not any more $$ than 4th gen autos, but is the 2002 Altima tranny a 4-spd or a 5-spd automatic?

Another FSM download is required, I guess. Interesting that no Maxima 5spd automatic is listed with a VLSD.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:13 PM
Kevlo for President

http://www.vibratesoftware.com/html_...les.htm#Altima
Old 12-07-2006, 05:38 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Interesting - it looks like the 2002 Altima has only a 4spd automatic. Bummer.

Oh, well, it was a good idea.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:39 PM
Bacon Lover

Anyone make any headway?
Old 12-11-2006, 02:14 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Anyone make any headway?

I haven't - yet - I did get both pairs of 4-button switchbanks, the 4-conductor cable, the push-on connectors, and DPDT toggles for the two shift_fast projects I'm building.

Problem is that I also got a pile of components from NX to upgrade my dual-stage nitrous to -8AN tubing and connectors. The -8AN parts are much larger I.D. so should flow better than the OEM 1/8" I.D tubing. 16 feet is a long way to push liquid, so a larger pipe is always better. Less pressure drop - maybe better top end? Anyways, planning for this is also taking time, plus I just bought a '99 hood to rebuild with a CAI leading-edge scoop, which I hope doesn't show too much.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:16 PM
Bacon Lover

Bah, humbug
Old 12-11-2006, 06:55 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Bah, humbug

No excuses, eh ??

Quick Reply: ? about shift-fast mod