All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

? about shift-fast mod

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 09:58 AM

? about shift-fast mod

I'm doing my 00vi swap soon and was thinking about the shift-fast mod too. I know it is usually done with a switch but is it possible to do this mod with a push button? It would be much easier for me to mount and I might even be able to costumize it into my shifter handle. Is it possible for a button or does it have to be with a switch because of the 12v power differences for each gear?
Old 11-10-2006, 11:44 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by Cdg2125
or does it have to be with a switch because of the 12v power differences for each gear?
So far, the few of us here that have built it have used a 3-position double-throw switch for shifting, because you have to control two tranny solenoids at the same time. So far.....

Harry
Old 11-10-2006, 01:31 PM
Bacon Lover

In one of the threads discussing it, Jime said it was possible. It will take a lot of creativity, wiring, etc. but it's possible. Once I get my "manual" 3-position switch version done, that's what I'll be aiming for. I'm hoping to create a steering wheel-mounted up/down button system.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:00 PM

I just figured it was much easier to use the button. I have no idea how to wire it up to make a button give power and stop power to the solenoids....guess I'll have to wait till someone figures it out
Old 11-11-2006, 06:33 PM
Bacon Lover

I just figured it was much easier to use the button. I have no idea how to wire it up to make a button give power and stop power to the solenoids....guess I'll have to wait till someone figures it out
I may have figured it out (using 2 steering-mounted buttons). Unfortunately, those 2 buttons aren't "upshift" and "downshift." The way I figure, you can wire one up to solenoid A and the other to solenoid B. Start out with both on, deactivate A to upshift, deactivate B to upshift again, etc. Then activate B to downshift, activate A to downshift again, etc. Or if you're in 2nd, just activate A to downshift, or whatever. It would require you to have the buttons labeled and remember what combination equals what gear, of course.

You also have to remember we only know about gears 1 through 3, we don't know about 4th. Maybe Jime knows? I don't think he ever told anyone since his setup is based around drag racing and therefore he only needs 1 through 3, 4th really doesn't matter.

So, we'll see how this all pans out, but, that's my idea, take it or leave it. I WILL be trying that setup at some point if I can figure out a good way to route the wiring out of sight (probably under all the panels), a good way to mount the buttons (just simple SPST push-buttons), and a way to make wiring that will turn with the steering wheel but not look hideous out in the open
Old 11-11-2006, 07:41 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by Tatanko
You also have to remember we only know about gears 1 through 3, we don't know about 4th. Maybe Jime knows? I don't think he ever told anyone since his setup is based around drag racing and therefore he only needs 1 through 3, 4th really doesn't matter.
The FSM shows the code for 4th gear, too.... Not that it matters in the 1/4. It's all in the FSM - Tranny and tranny computer wiring, wire colors, solenoid logic, etc. All of it.

About the pushbuttons - kinda like Pinks: " make a mistake, lose your ride". There is a better way.
Old 11-11-2006, 07:59 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by grey99max
The FSM shows the code for 4th gear, too.... Not that it matters in the 1/4. It's all in the FSM - Tranny and tranny computer wiring, wire colors, solenoid logic, etc. All of it.
All this talk of pushbuttons and crap isn't based around the 1/4 mile. I realize that's why Jime never included it. My initial manual setup won't include it, either.
About the pushbuttons - kinda like Pinks: " make a mistake, lose your ride". There is a better way.
Yeah that's what I was thinking as well. Activate/deactivate the wrong solenoid and uh-oh

One day I will figure out how to do upshift/downshift buttons, though. Mark my words

Also, here's my progress as of tonight:

Just need some more pin connectors, another spool of wiring (I was at the end of one starting this project), and I'll be able to tap in and get this bad boy going I need a better way to mount it, the switches are attached to cardboard right now I'll probably spray paint it black at least and write the letters/numbers with white-out or something. That will do for the time being 'til I find a good location and board to mount it to.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:41 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

One day I will figure out how to do upshift/downshift buttons, though. Mark my words
The transmission solenoid code is a simple binary code.

Solenoid............A...........B
1st gear............ON.........ON
2nd gear...........OFF........ON
3rd gear...........OFF........OFF
4th gear...........ON.........OFF

Does that help ?
Old 11-11-2006, 08:52 PM
Bacon Lover

The transmission solenoid code is a simple binary code.

Solenoid............A...........B
1st gear............ON.........ON
2nd gear...........OFF........ON
3rd gear...........OFF........OFF
4th gear...........ON.........OFF

Does that help ?
I figured as much that 4th gear was simply A-on, B-off. Thanks for confirming it though, smartass
Old 11-11-2006, 08:57 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

I figured as much that 4th gear was simply A-on, B-off. Thanks for confirming it though, smartass
You're welcome........ plus KSU just beat Texas by a field goal !!! All is good.

Shift_Fast
Old 11-11-2006, 09:00 PM

So it could work with one switch if there was a relay that could switch the power....wonder if there is anything like that.

btw...do you guys have any links for VB mod? I want to look into that as well.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:53 PM

Nvm that VB mod. I didn't know it required taking apart the tranny and all that.
Old 11-12-2006, 04:58 PM
3.5 in the works

I think to do the safe way you'd need to build a circuit with some logic on it, ie each time you press the UP or DOWN button, the chip looks at the current binary (ON/OFF) states of the shift solenoids and then decides how to change them to get the desired result.

Hmm.. maybe later on next year if I'm bored I'll do something like this for you auto guys... not like I need it with my stick shift though...
Old 11-12-2006, 06:01 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by DandyMax
I think to do the safe way you'd need to build a circuit with some logic on it, ie each time you press the UP or DOWN button, the chip looks at the current binary (ON/OFF) states of the shift solenoids and then decides how to change them to get the desired result.

Hmm.. maybe later on next year if I'm bored I'll do something like this for you auto guys... not like I need it with my stick shift though...
grey seems to have some good ideas up his sleeve for me
Old 11-12-2006, 06:17 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Something like this ??

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...t/Dscn1423.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...t/Dscn1424.jpg

Don't worry about boredom - My Shift_Fast.

Harry
Old 11-13-2006, 08:51 AM
3.5 in the works

Well I was thinking of a small logic circuit on a PCB board, but hey like most things in life there's usually more than one way to skin a cat.

But who am I kidding, I'm not going to be bored next year... in fact I'll probably be going crazy with all the house and car stuff I'll need to do... lol

... so have fun!
Old 11-13-2006, 09:17 AM

Thats kinda huge....I was also thinknig something a little smaller. I'm trying to find a module for rerouting power. I'll let you guys know if I can find anything.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:41 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

Thats kinda huge....I was also thinknig something a little smaller. I'm trying to find a module for rerouting power. I'll let you guys know if I can find anything.
It's easier to de-bug something if it's bigger and spread out, so you can get to things. Plus, there are some "gotchas" with using MSD 8969s and nitrous that aren't documented here - mostly, when the solenoids are picked, that can spike and reset the MSD. Not a good thing, generally.

This version is proven at the track. Packaging comes later. Shift_Fast.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:36 PM

Yeah I was thinking about how it would work while using the 8969 at the same time...
Old 11-13-2006, 03:33 PM
BOOST 4 LIFE!

I need to get this whole thing figured out I can't shift manually for $hit. And when I get my mevi and 7200 jwt ecu I'm goin need to shift. somebody figure something out????
Old 11-13-2006, 07:02 PM

I'm looking into the wiring and routing power. I'm not sure what kind of restrictions I'd have tho.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:22 PM

Stick shifts suck! lol I'm kiddin.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:34 PM
Bacon Lover

FYI to anyone who had been looking at the shift_fast write-up on my site, ignore it for right now. I'm taking it down as soon as I have the ability to (server problems right now) as the write-up is likely wrong at this point.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:02 PM

I'm still looking into the power routing. If I can find the power module I'm looking for, I think I can make this work with buttons instead of a switch.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:51 PM
BOOST 4 LIFE!

I'm still looking into the power routing. If I can find the power module I'm looking for, I think I can make this work with buttons instead of a switch.
keep looking man
Old 11-14-2006, 05:01 PM

Haha I'm trying. Even if I find the module I'm looking for I'm not sure if everything will work. Not sure what needs to be bypassed and what not. I have a sketch but I need some more details. I'll keep you posted.

I'm also working on trying to wire up relay's to route the power to the designated solenoids. PITA but should work to create power for all 4 gears. But again, not sure if it will work or if the car will shift back to normal. I'm not sure but I think with my setup the car won't shift down on it's own.....
Old 11-14-2006, 08:28 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Haha I'm trying. Even if I find the module I'm looking for I'm not sure if everything will work. Not sure what needs to be bypassed and what not. I have a sketch but I need some more details. I'll keep you posted.

I'm also working on trying to wire up relay's to route the power to the designated solenoids. PITA but should work to create power for all 4 gears. But again, not sure if it will work or if the car will shift back to normal. I'm not sure but I think with my setup the car won't shift down on it's own.....
This is my way to go -my Shift_Fast prototype, fully automatic for 1-2-3 upshifting gears. Note the MSD.

There's more to this mod than meets the eye..... lots more...

Old 11-15-2006, 09:13 AM

I know there is more to it but why is the MSD needed?
Old 11-15-2006, 12:28 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

I know there is more to it but why is the MSD needed?
No "button" needed to shift to the next gear - the MSD shifts 1-2 and 2-3 at the programmed RPM. Much more consistent and safer. With a fast-revving engine, you'll never be able to shift 1-2 safely with a manual switch. Things happen too fast, and the factory tach is too far behind real-time RPMs.

If you have an add-on tach with shift-light stuck on the top of your dash, then maybe you could get lucky and button-shift before fuel-cut. Maybe. Short 23" slicks, 2800-stall torque converter, 150-shot of nitrous, and boosted-pressure automatic means things happen very quickly. Of course, with a stock engine and automatic, you'll have lots of time to shift to the next gear, and if you hit fuel-cut at 6650 RPM, nothing bad will happen...

Since I spray - a lot - I chose to build a version that uses the MSD to make the shifts. I've used both a manual 3-way toggle switch and the MSD version to spray with. The MSD (Shift_Fast) handles the shifts with no extra drama. It will also operate a shift light and cut off nitrous at shift-time.... I used a LED dome light made by one of the ORGers, and had the brightest shift light on the track! Hope this answers some of your questions...
Old 11-15-2006, 12:46 PM

Yeah I gotcha. Your setup does make sense for you're car. I'm not running anything much. 00vi swap in a month but that'll be about it.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:38 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Yeah I gotcha. Your setup does make sense for you're car. I'm not running anything much. 00vi swap in a month but that'll be about it.
That's some of what I was referring to when I said

"There's more to this mod than meets the eye..... lots more..."

It's like power tools - for hanging pictures, a little hammer is enough. When building a house, you need more....
Old 11-15-2006, 01:48 PM

Yeah I understand. So what is your thought on this mod with just the 00vi swap. Will I still need a setup like yours? Tatanko seems to have one figured out and it's not as elaborate as yours.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:29 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Yeah I understand. So what is your thought on this mod with just the 00vi swap. Will I still need a setup like yours? Tatanko seems to have one figured out and it's not as elaborate as yours.
Actually, he's talking about the manual switch version I built and installed - his web site has a picture of my car with the switch on the console. There's more of my photos around here somewhere.

I think that version would be suitable for you - I drove mine around for a while on street DRs and no spray on the street, and was able to shift with it - only had a couple of overrevs/fuel-cuts while N/A. Streetzlegend also built and installed the same type of shifter in his car....
Old 11-15-2006, 06:52 PM
Bacon Lover

Correct, mine is the manual version. Still not working, unfortunately, but Streetz and I are making progress on it. Unless you track your car often, I'd say the manual version is plenty. Get some practice using it and it will even suffice for the occassional run to the track, and likely help your times, if only a little.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:09 PM

Yeah I'm getting somewhere with my schematic but I dont know if it will actually work. I'll need some help once I get an idea for it. Basically the switch version but with 4 buttons that will suit my 00vi and DD. I'll be asking questions to you guys soon tho.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:53 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

Yeah I'm getting somewhere with my schematic but I dont know if it will actually work. I'll need some help once I get an idea for it. Basically the switch version but with 4 buttons that will suit my 00vi and DD. I'll be asking questions to you guys soon tho.
Hummmm... You know, if you can find a mechanically-interlocked pushbutton-switch stack with at least four pushbuttons, that has double-pole single-throw switches on each button, then you can wire each button to control the two solenoids differently for each gear, from first through fourth gear. You would still have to have another DPDT switch to go from Normal to Race, like previous versions of shift_fast have.

The switch stack I'm thinking of has interlocked pushbuttons so that only one can be pushed in - all others are released when you push another button.. Someplace like Digikey might still sell these.

Just a thought.... but it could work if you could mount the switch bank where you can easily get to it...
Old 11-16-2006, 09:07 AM

That's exactly what I've been working on. I'm trying to find that box you speak of. So far no luck. I'll talk to my father and see if he could find something like it at work. My other thought was using relays to control the power but I'm not sure that would work.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:07 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

That's exactly what I've been working on. I'm trying to find that box you speak of. So far no luck. I'll talk to my father and see if he could find something like it at work. My other thought was using relays to control the power but I'm not sure that would work.

Something along these lines? About 2/3 of the way down the page?

http://www.surplussales.com/Switches/SWPushB-1.html

Old 11-16-2006, 01:42 PM

Awesome. That four gang maintained contact switches should do the trick. I do want the maintained conatact right? The other switch is momentary non-maintained. I'm guessing that's not what I want. I contacted Digikey as well to see if they had anything good.

Using this will make you manually down shift correct?
Old 11-16-2006, 02:21 PM
Bacon Lover

My shift_fast is up and working. No on/off switch, but it works for now (it's unplugged atm). I may just go with that 4-gang switch as well, it seems like a good idea.

Quick Reply: ? about shift-fast mod