All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

Purchasing Motor ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 06:45 AM

Purchasing Motor ?

Fellow Nissan Enthusiast.

Couple of questions if i may
  1. In what cases would purchasing a new motor make sense ?
  2. Why not just fixed the present issue (since you know your motor---and you don't know what you are getting when you buy a motor from across country?)
  3. Where is the best place to purchase a Used Motor?
  4. Most Motors i've seen on ebay, etc,---have 100k + mileage, why would someone buy one of these motors? (you don't know what you are getting?)
Anyway, i'm having a HG issue and was looking at options to fix this thing.

Thanks for your input....

~M
Old 08-24-2015, 11:31 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by FlaMark
Fellow Nissan Enthusiast.

Couple of questions if i may
  1. In what cases would purchasing a new motor make sense ?
  2. Why not just fixed the present issue (since you know your motor---and you don't know what you are getting when you buy a motor from across country?)
  3. Where is the best place to purchase a Used Motor?
  4. Most Motors i've seen on ebay, etc,---have 100k + mileage, why would someone buy one of these motors? (you don't know what you are getting?)
Anyway, i'm having a HG issue and was looking at options to fix this thing.

Thanks for your input....

~M

From past experiences, get familiar with car-part.com and search for your engine there. Their listings come from wrecking yards all over the country, but you can search locally, by distance from our zip, or by region.

The engines and transmissions I've bought there have a declared condition and mileage, and most yards will ship to you directly. Remember that the Infinity engines are identical to Maximas, and later models have identical engines in the Maxima, Altima, and whatever the Nissan van is called.

The Car-Part.com site will give you all the search options the are available for the specified item. LKQ is another used-part vendor that is equally good to search for parts.

I will drive 2-300 miles to pick up an engine or transmission, but most have been within 150 miles.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by grey99max
From past experiences, get familiar with car-part.com and search for your engine there. Their listings come from wrecking yards all over the country, but you can search locally, by distance from our zip, or by region.

The engines and transmissions I've bought there have a declared condition and mileage, and most yards will ship to you directly. Remember that the Infinity engines are identical to Maximas, and later models have identical engines in the Maxima, Altima, and whatever the Nissan van is called.

The Car-Part.com site will give you all the search options the are available for the specified item. LKQ is another used-part vendor that is equally good to search for parts.

I will drive 2-300 miles to pick up an engine or transmission, but most have been within 150 miles.
Thanks Grey.

I see crazy prices for these motors from places like "ebay, carparts.com, etc."

Makes me wonder if i should do the head job. Although, the price i got yesterday of $3200 for a head gasket Job is Ridiculous for a car that is worth about the same.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:14 AM

If you buy from ebay just make sure that you check out there comments. I would not recommend it from ebay, thats were i got my vq35 from and the motor had almost no compression and i couldnt return it because the car was in storage past 30 days. If i was you i would do like grey said and deal with someone close that you can see face to face not across the country.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:21 AM
dot dot dot ...

I would also +1 on the car-part.com deal. Some offer warranties.