All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

UTEC is in..........

Old 09-02-2008, 09:08 AM
Play with my balls

UTEC is in..........

I'll get a few pics up here, but it's basically what you've seen before.......box on the floor, alot of wires, hooked to the ecu. At any rate, thanks goes out to SurraTT for coming out and helping me with this install. He labeled and spliced all the pinouts for me, soldiered the wires I needed, and did the install to the Max as well. I could duplicate it if I wanted to, but I'd rather pay him to do it due to time constraints.

Anyway, we downloaded the 350z base map off of TurboXS.com which included the tune for an Intake and Exhaust. I can definitely feel the power now that it is semi tuned from this base map. The car runs smoother and is more responsive as well. There are a few hiccups when getting into the gas in a high gear, and also with the A/C on and getting into the gas in any gear. I'm sure my Air/Fuel is still a little out of wack, but when these cams go in this month I will get everything dyno tuned as well, and shoot for a flatline 13.5-14.0.

All in all I'm really liking the UTEC, but since it's not tweaked at the moment and running off the base map I know I still have more potential. Also, I like the fact that I can extend my rev limiter, and I'm now able to tune when I go FI with this thing. ARP rod bolts are going in at the same time as the cams. I'm also pairing the cams up with the VQ35HR Valvesprings and Retainers.

I will get a baseline before tuning after everything is installed, just to compare my gains after it's tuned. I would have loved to dyno after every individual mod, but that's just too much $ spent as I've dropped alot in this project already.

Mod list so far, and what is to come this month is below. I'm not sure on how much power I'll yield on the dyno, but I'm hoping to max her out as much as I can before I think about going FI with it.

Current hamsterpower contributed from:

Ported Air Box
Cattman Gen III Headers
Cattman Rear Section
SPEC Stage II Clutch
Fidanza Flywheel
17* Timing
UTEC with 350z Basemap
350z Thermostat
NGK Iridiums 1 Step Colder (From previous 75 shot Setup)

September Installs prior to dyno/tuning:

SSIM - Upper/Lower/Elbow
NWP Spacers port matched with SSIM
JWT S1 Cams (Knockoffs)
VQ35HR Valvesprings
VQ35HR Retainers
VQ35HR Spacers
Land Rover MAF
ARP Rod Bolts
7500 Rev Limit via UTEC

Sourcing at the moment:

Cattman Fastcat
Cattman B-pipe

Let me know if you have any of these to sell, I'd like to get them installed prior to tuning.

Additionally installed: (Should keep everything held together pretty good)

ES Poly Motor Mounts
ES Poly Control Arm Bushings
ES Poly Subframe Bushings
ES Poly Shifter Bushings
New Tie Rods
New Ball Joints

Am I missing anything here? Can I yield higher power with anything else?
Old 09-02-2008, 09:11 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Very nice. In for dyno results.

Did you just hack up the UTEC harness to splice into the A33 ECM harness?

Who is doing the cams install? You and the Charlotte croo?
Old 09-02-2008, 09:14 AM
Play with my balls

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
Very nice. In for dyno results.

Who is doing the cams install? You and the Charlotte croo?
You know I'll be posting that when the results are in.

SR will be assisting me with the remainder of the installs......thank goodness.

And to think, it all started with my throwout bearing going bad a couple months ago, and I was only suppose to replace that. Now i've gone and torn everything apart and having my way with her. Stupid VHT, on stupid track!
Old 09-05-2008, 04:44 PM

wow!!!!! 300+whp FTW!!! good luck!
Old 09-06-2008, 07:07 AM
Play with my balls

Originally Posted by ghostmax301
wow!!!!! 300+whp FTW!!! good luck!
Preech. I would love to yield that, and I think it's attainable. The 350z guys are doing it, and I don't see why I can't with the same block.

I'm actually going to add another couple main components, but I'm not going to disclose it at this time since it was just thought of. I'm hoping to get good results from it but I want to do it first before I make any solidified claims.

Thanks for the cams, they're gonna work nicely with my setup!
Old 09-06-2008, 01:29 PM

have fun putting those cams in. i just took mine out lol
Old 09-06-2008, 02:16 PM
Play with my balls

Originally Posted by VqMoNsTeR
have fun putting those cams in. i just took mine out lol
I saw, you let those go for a great price! If things roll right, it might not be an in-car install.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:45 PM

Deckout , I recommend you use this program for tunning
http://mpsav.com/MPSUTECLogger/MPS_U...r_Download.htm

Im using this and its a great tool , it works with any W/B
Old 09-07-2008, 08:36 PM
Play with my balls

Originally Posted by NiZMo1o1
Deckout , I recommend you use this program for tunning

Im using this and its a great tool , it works with any W/B
Thanks brotha! I saw this off my350z.com when I purchased the UTEC, but I was determined to getting Hyperterminal to work with Vista on my laptop. I'm just going to go ahead and stop being retarded and use this program since I know it works mucho better.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Deckdout2
Thanks brotha! I saw this off my350z.com when I purchased the UTEC, but I was determined to getting Hyperterminal to work with Vista on my laptop. I'm just going to go ahead and stop being retarded and use this program since I know it works mucho better.

Good luck , did you get the remote map selector as well ? I think that is the best part of the UTEC,

The MPS is really good to tune, they have a choice of W/Bs for datalogging.

As soon as I find a new tranny the manifold will make its way in the motor
Old 09-08-2008, 09:00 AM
Play with my balls

Originally Posted by NiZMo1o1
Good luck , did you get the remote map selector as well ? I think that is the best part of the UTEC,

The MPS is really good to tune, they have a choice of W/Bs for datalogging.

As soon as I find a new tranny the manifold will make its way in the motor
The map selector is on it's way to me. Having that will definitely make this unit nicer.

I'm currently looking into good deals for WB's at the moment. Just need to also decide which one I'm going to go with. I've played with the Ziextronics, and it's not bad. Want to look at other options as well.

Don't forget to bump that rev limiter with that new manifold.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:16 AM

I cant wait to see what you make! It'll give me a good point of reference to aim for, as from what Im reading, it seems we're building an identical setup (minus the Utec, I'll be using an EU). My stuff should be done by Thanksgiving so we'll see.

BEST OF LUCK!!!
Old 09-10-2008, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by 95BLKMAX
I cant wait to see what you make! It'll give me a good point of reference to aim for, as from what Im reading, it seems we're building an identical setup (minus the Utec, I'll be using an EU). My stuff should be done by Thanksgiving so we'll see.

BEST OF LUCK!!!
then you can get owned

did you ever get pics of the UTEC wiring job??
Old 09-10-2008, 09:08 AM
VQ30 DE T

you > me
Nice set up Im considering a 5.5 gen just for the utec/ tuning capabilities.
300hp 12 sec N/A max ftw.
Goodluck
Old 09-10-2008, 06:46 PM

Oh, hahaha, (recognizes sig pic) I know who you are now!

that's awesome though, those tie rods are gonna make that thing flukcing FLY!
Old 09-11-2008, 07:50 AM
Play with my balls

Originally Posted by KRRZ350
Oh, hahaha, (recognizes sig pic) I know who you are now!

that's awesome though, those tie rods are gonna make that thing flukcing FLY!
Thanks for the SSIM stuff Kev. I haven't made it by the office of my complex yet to pick it up. Every time I go after work I just miss them since they close at 6pm. I'll go at lunch today to pick it up.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:51 AM
Play with my balls

UTEC pics will be posted shortly. This hurricane rain/weather has been killing the skies over here.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:37 PM

UTEC pics will be posted shortly. This hurricane rain/weather has been killing the skies over here.
still waiting
im interested in installing one but i wanna see your setup..
Old 09-16-2008, 09:07 PM
Play with my balls

haha. pics on camera, will have to transfer to pc tomorrow.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:33 AM

If you want the best W/B setup go with the TurboXS Tuner, it is the most compatible. I have used the Tech Edge as well as the LC-1 and LM-1 and like everyone else with the UTEC experienced lockups etc. You can pick up a used one for around $200 on either the 350Z or NASIOC forums.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:11 AM
Play with my balls

Originally Posted by Jime
If you want the best W/B setup go with the TurboXS Tuner, it is the most compatible. I have used the Tech Edge as well as the LC-1 and LM-1 and like everyone else with the UTEC experienced lockups etc. You can pick up a used one for around $200 on either the 350Z or NASIOC forums.
That's very helpful info, thanks Jime. I've been searching for the most trouble free WB. I'll see what more info I can find on it and if I can have one for a good price.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:51 AM

That's very helpful info, thanks Jime. I've been searching for the most trouble free WB. I'll see what more info I can find on it and if I can have one for a good price.

BTW the TurboXS Tuner is the only W/B that will display\log with the terminal software, UTI3 and MPS UTEC Logger will work with some of the others if you are interested in them. Check their sites to see which W/B's will work with them. I prefer UTI3 over the MPS UTEC Logger for ease of use and tuning

http://www.jeffsoftware.com/software.php?product=UTI

Last edited by Jime; 09-17-2008 at 07:53 AM.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:00 AM

pics pics pics. im still confused on how u made a plug n play work...
Old 09-17-2008, 08:50 AM

BTW the TurboXS Tuner is the only W/B that will display\log with the terminal software, UTI3 and MPS UTEC Logger will work with some of the others if you are interested in them. Check their sites to see which W/B's will work with them. I prefer UTI3 over the MPS UTEC Logger for ease of use and tuning

Even though the TurboXS Tuner is the only one compatible with the default software, would you consider it the best option overall since other W/B options can be used with the 3rd party software?
Old 09-17-2008, 10:11 AM
Play with my balls

I knew I was missing something. At one point I was looking into these tuning softwares to pair up with the UTEC. I will now have to look further into them prior to making my decision on which WB to go with. So the question still stands as to which WB would be good to go with as nismology inquired?
Old 09-17-2008, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by nismology
Even though the TurboXS Tuner is the only one compatible with the default software, would you consider it the best option overall since other W/B options can be used with the 3rd party software?
Yes, as I indicated I was experiencing lockups etc with 3 other widebands but with the Tuner none. If you read some of the 350Z forum threads this is a common experience with the 3rd party software and a non-TurboXS wideband. I eventually gave up using my LC-1, LM-1 and TechEdge because of that and got the TurboXS Tuner, I could have saved myself a lot of grief and money had I did that in the first place.

The other widebands are great and perform well on their own, just not with the UTEC.

BTW regardless of which third party software you use, you still have to use the terminal program to make any changes to the UTEC so better get fluent with it.

Last edited by Jime; 09-17-2008 at 01:36 PM.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:00 PM
Play with my balls

Understood now. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:15 PM
Play with my balls

Here are some pics. It's definately not plug-n-play, but it does work flawlessly. Sorry for the jumbled wires, I tied them the best I could but it was extended so it had to be like that. All in all, it's still hidden and pretty clean.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:16 PM
Play with my balls

Old 09-17-2008, 05:34 PM

pics pics pics. im still confused on how u made a plug n play work...
I'm guessing it is just like the other piggybacks, just more tedious because you'd have to cut apart the UTEC's plug n play harness, figure out the wiring, and tap/splice the appropriate wires from the UTEC harness to the A33B ECU harness.

P, any details on this?
Old 09-17-2008, 05:46 PM
Play with my balls

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
I'm guessing it is just like the other piggybacks, just more tedious because you'd have to cut apart the UTEC's plug n play harness, figure out the wiring, and tap/splice the appropriate wires from the UTEC harness to the A33B ECU harness.

P, any details on this?
We had to use the service manual from both the 350z and the A33 Maxima. Once we got the ECU schematic, to be on the safe side we label every wire on the UTEC. Pretty easy to do, just takes a little bit of time. Then we found the schematics for the EU, and used pretty much the same connections from that diagram to hook it up. It's not too bad once you've got a bit of a plan. The longest part is tracing each pinout and labeling them. Again, I don't personally know the pain endured since I didn't do it myself. I just know what had to happen to get it done.

Maybe for those that are interested, they can send their UTEC up to SurraTT and have him extend the needed wires and perform the same labeling as he did with mine. Then all you would have to do when you get it back is soldier up the 15 or so wires to the ECU yourself.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:42 PM

i am so confused now. so the plug n play part goes back into the utec and u just cut the harness? im planning on getting mine this sat if all goes well.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:46 AM
Play with my balls

i am so confused now. so the plug n play part goes back into the utec and u just cut the harness? im planning on getting mine this sat if all goes well.
Yes, it confused me at first. You have to think about it as a true plug and play, like you were gonna put it in a 6th gen or a 350z. Normally the harnesses from the UTEC (male) would plug into your factory ECM (female), then the harness (male) that plugged into your ECM, would now go into the UTEC (female).

In order to make this work for us, you have to cut the male harnesses off the UTEC so you can soldier it to the ECM side of your factory harness, then from the side you cut the UTEC harness from, it would be soldiered to the "car side" of your factory harness.

If you actually look at the unit and work it out, it's easy to physically understand. I didn't get it at first until I had it in my hands.

This might help picture wise. I connected a few extra wires to be on the safe.

Thread, picture is from.

http://forums.maxima.org/other-sale-...-gen-ecus.html

Last edited by Deckdout2; 09-18-2008 at 06:49 AM.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:46 AM

ohk im starting to get it now. so the male end that would go back into the ecu on the plug n play is used to go into the utec. thats where i was confused. now what is that other plug to the northeast of the utec used for? and which wires actually have to be cut out of all the ecu pinouts?

Last edited by VqMoNsTeR; 09-18-2008 at 07:49 AM.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:04 AM
Play with my balls

ohk im starting to get it now. so the male end that would go back into the ecu on the plug n play is used to go into the utec. thats where i was confused. now what is that other plug to the northeast of the utec used for? and which wires actually have to be cut out of all the ecu pinouts?
http://www.vqpower.com/images/howto/...xEUWriteup.pdf

This should help you. All you need is to get the 350z ECU pinouts diagram to match it up.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:01 PM

Well I know I dont have a 5.5 , My install was much simple than the splicing..

http://www.6thgenmaxima.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5737

Anyways good luck deckout
Old 09-24-2008, 05:53 PM
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS MEMBER - OWES PEOPLE MONEY

Yeah that was my wiring in the picture. I wish I'd hooked it up now, but matty's gonna use it on his turbo build so it went to a good place!
Old 09-24-2008, 08:46 PM
Play with my balls

Originally Posted by sparks03max
Yeah that was my wiring in the picture. I wish I'd hooked it up now, but matty's gonna use it on his turbo build so it went to a good place!
Nice! I was trying to buy yours and didn't know if you sold it yet. You weren't around for a while and I couldn't wait. Good thing I didn't.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:20 PM

wow...nice job...in for some dyno results =]
Old 10-18-2008, 04:27 PM

so... i will be getting my utec with this months 3rd check ftw! im gonna hook it up and take it to txs around the way and have it tuned. hoping for atleast 20+whp gain. seen a few Z owners gain 25+whp from a tune. i will be posting a pre and post dyno early next month..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: UTEC is in..........