All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

3rd gen VQ35DE Full ECU Swap Progress Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 10:53 PM
Banned

yup, hope everthing goes well
Old 09-08-2010, 09:47 AM
NWP Engineering.com

I'm wrapping up the latest TC install today and reinstalling the Suprastick after Garrett worked on it. I should be able to now switch shift maps on the fly without a laptop to refresh things. My LCD display has also been edited to show if I'm in shift map 1 or 2. That will be a big help too. Also, a new feature has been added to allow you to change the shift map by 10mph increments as well as the usual 1mph increments. That will be a HUGE help for me!

I will report back late tonight or tomorrow once I am able to test things out. I hope I like my new stall torque converter. I will be hitting the track this Thursday (KDS) if everything goes smoothly. And my big race ($2500 purse for the All Motor heads up class) is this Saturday in Fayetteville, NC!
Old 09-08-2010, 12:02 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Go gettum!
Old 09-08-2010, 12:45 PM

Hopefully you like it!

Can't wait to see what it runs!
Old 09-08-2010, 05:56 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Thanks guys. The axles are now back in and the car runs. I am still fiddling with the Suprastick settings since they got corrupted on the way out to Garrett. So, I lost everything which took me weeks to fine tune. So if anybody can post their SS settings, that would probably help me. I'd like to know what your settings are for the Speed Sensor Teeth, and what is your speed for the 1-2 and 2-3 shift at 95-100% throttle. I had my shift points right at 7300rpm and I can't remember what speed I had.

It got dark on me, so I ran out of time. But the car is drivable. But I believe the shift solenoids settings are completely backwards. It's either something I did wrong or some bug in the latest program Garrett loaded for me. But I THINK 4th gear is 1st, 3rd is 2nd, 2nd is 3rd, and 1st and 4th. If that's the case, I should be able to just ignore the solenoid chart in the FSM and just fix it myself.

But when I put it in 4th gear (which is actually 1st), the car definitely feels a LOT looser than my previous TC, which was a 3500 stall. I didn't do any launches, but I hope it's over 4K and lays down a good amount of power on the launch. ATF temperature is manageable too from what I notice while test driving it easy on the street for 3 miles or so. I'll have more info tomorrow once I test things further. I hope this thing is track ready before tomorrow evening!
Old 09-08-2010, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
Thanks guys. The axles are now back in and the car runs. I am still fiddling with the Suprastick settings since they got corrupted on the way out to Garrett. So, I lost everything which took me weeks to fine tune. So if anybody can post their SS settings, that would probably help me. I'd like to know what your settings are for the Speed Sensor Teeth, and what is your speed for the 1-2 and 2-3 shift at 95-100% throttle. I had my shift points right at 7300rpm and I can't remember what speed I had.

It got dark on me, so I ran out of time. But the car is drivable. But I believe the shift solenoids settings are completely backwards. It's either something I did wrong or some bug in the latest program Garrett loaded for me. But I THINK 4th gear is 1st, 3rd is 2nd, 2nd is 3rd, and 1st and 4th. If that's the case, I should be able to just ignore the solenoid chart in the FSM and just fix it myself.

But when I put it in 4th gear (which is actually 1st), the car definitely feels a LOT looser than my previous TC, which was a 3500 stall. I didn't do any launches, but I hope it's over 4K and lays down a good amount of power on the launch. ATF temperature is manageable too from what I notice while test driving it easy on the street for 3 miles or so. I'll have more info tomorrow once I test things further. I hope this thing is track ready before tomorrow evening!
Good luck man!
Old 09-09-2010, 10:33 AM
NWP Engineering.com

The new converter has been installed and tested. I am only seeing a 3600rpm stall which isn't going to cut it for what we are shooting for. The last converter was 3500. The big race is this weekend where I hope to be able to make it past the 1st round somehow. If the world's fastest NA imports show up (10 second Civics), then I don't stand a chance. But one thing is for certain, a low 12 second 4dr grocery getter will be there raising some eyebrows in the All Motor class!
Old 09-09-2010, 11:06 AM

Aaron im going outside right now to get a screen shot of my settings for you.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:09 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by streetzlegend
Aaron im going outside right now to get a screen shot of my settings for you.
Thanks! You don't need to do a screen shot, just let me know your settings.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:33 AM

Old 09-09-2010, 11:37 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Thanks. What rpm does it shift at in 1st and 2nd?
Old 09-09-2010, 11:41 AM

Thanks. What rpm does it shift at in 1st and 2nd?
Too early, at about 6k, maybe high 5k. I have it low because on the streets it spins out, so I make it shift soon so it dosnt bounce off the limiter. at the track I will probably manually shift, or increase the 1>2 shift too higher.

Also note, I am on 235 45 17. not sure what tire size you have.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:43 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Too early, at about 6k, maybe high 5k. I have it low because on the streets it spins out, so I make it shift soon so it dosnt bounce off the limiter. at the track I will probably manually shift, or increase the 1>2 shift too higher.

Also note, I am on 235 45 17. not sure what tire size you have.
Thanks for your help.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:44 AM

Thanks for your help.
No problem, just wanna see that thing launching at 4k+!!!
Old 09-09-2010, 11:56 AM
NWP Engineering.com

No problem, just wanna see that thing launching at 4k+!!!
Yeah. It's too bad it's not. I only have a 3600 stall right now with this new converter. If I sprayed a tiny shot of nitrous, it would easily stall above 4000 though. But that's not what I am doing. I want to stay All Motor.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:58 AM

Yeah. It's too bad it's not. I only have a 3600 stall right now with this new converter. If I sprayed a tiny shot of nitrous, it would easily stall above 4000 though. But that's not what I am doing. I want to stay All Motor.
Goodluck man. BTW, did andre also beef up the lock up clutch?
Old 09-09-2010, 12:41 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Goodluck man. BTW, did andre also beef up the lock up clutch?
From my understanding, it's beefed up on all Edge Racing converters. But I can ask him next time we chat on the phone.

I've never had a problem with mine while locking it up at WOT. But I've been running some form of Edge Racing converter for over 6 years now.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:47 PM

From my understanding, it's beefed up on all Edge Racing converters. But I can ask him next time we chat on the phone.

I've never had a problem with mine while locking it up at WOT. But I've been running some form of Edge Racing converter for over 6 years now.
Yeah please ask him. Because I never lock my TC, just to not wear it out and throw clutch material into the fluid. I know jim's clutch slips when he sprays from what he told me, specially with that nitrous torque.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:07 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Yeah please ask him. Because I never lock my TC, just to not wear it out and throw clutch material into the fluid. I know jim's clutch slips when he sprays from what he told me, specially with that nitrous torque.
In all my testing, locking up the torque converter in 3rd gear makes no difference what so ever! So I stopped locking it up in the 1/4 mile. I only use it while cruising.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:19 PM

The new converter has been installed and tested. I am only seeing a 3600rpm stall which isn't going to cut it for what we are shooting for.
Damn, that sucks man. Maybe see if someone else can make a converter for you.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:54 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by krazy6
Damn, that sucks man. Maybe see if someone else can make a converter for you.
If I go with someone else, they won't have ANY notes or any more information than Edge Racing converters. Edge Racing is still the best when it comes to the VQ35 and all Maximas since he has the most notes. This converter has never been attempted before. Andre can give me a 6K stall really easy, but it will be so inefficient, that I won't be able to control the fluid temperatures after only 1 pass as well as a considerable loss in HP. He's trying to build a converter that meets my stall while keeping as much power to the wheels as possible and not ruining my transmission.

Please don't think that Edge Racing is slacking. This is all trial and error since he's building the world's first 4K stall converter in the world's fastest NA Maxima. No other company will be able to do this on the first attempt.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:45 PM

If I go with someone else, they won't have ANY notes or any more information than Edge Racing converters. Edge Racing is still the best when it comes to the VQ35 and all Maximas since he has the most notes. This converter has never been attempted before. Andre can give me a 6K stall really easy, but it will be so inefficient, that I won't be able to control the fluid temperatures after only 1 pass as well as a considerable loss in HP. He's trying to build a converter that meets my stall while keeping as much power to the wheels as possible and not ruining my transmission.

Please don't think that Edge Racing is slacking. This is all trial and error since he's building the world's first 4K stall converter in the world's fastest NA Maxima. No other company will be able to do this on the first attempt.
I don't think they're slacking. I know the edge converters are good pieces. It just seems like the stall speed barely increases every time he modifies it. Maybe he should just go crazy one of these times, and it will be right.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:29 AM
NWP Engineering.com

I don't think they're slacking. I know the edge converters are good pieces. It just seems like the stall speed barely increases every time he modifies it. Maybe he should just go crazy one of these times, and it will be right.
Yeah. Our concern is heat. If you build a sloppy 5K stall converter for this car, it will build up so much heat that my transmission won't survive after only 2 passes. So, it's all trial and error. He's doing it the right way and trying to keep me from having to rebuild transmissions every week.

I ran at the drag strip last night. The Suprastick update is AWESOME! I can now switch maps on the fly. My 2nd gear burnout map is exactly what I needed. Since my car doesn't have enough HP to start the burnout in 2nd gear, I have this shift map that allows me to start in 1st, go to 6500rpm, shift into 2nd, and hold it at 6500rpm for a couple seconds. My traction is drastically improved, even on the 20" slicks. I am able to get the slicks heated enough to hold my power even at my local track on a test and tune night when it's always slippery.

The new converter did well too. Since I am only able to launch at 3600, there is still a lag that I need to get rid of. But, one thing I noticed about this new design Andre did was that my ATF temp is much more controllable! With the last 3500 stall I had, it felt looser and it was hard to keep my temperatures below 170 after only a couple passes. But with this 3600 stall, my temps stayed at 150 all night long even while hotlapping! Andre did go with a completely new design with this converter and I think we are on the right track.

The big race is tomorrow! Come on out and join me at Fayetteville Motorsports Park in Fayetteville, NC. It's the first annual SICC import heads up event. Gates open at 3pm, qualifying starts at 6pm. I'll be racing in the $2500 All Motor Bandit class.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:52 AM

Yeah. Our concern is heat. If you build a sloppy 5K stall converter for this car, it will build up so much heat that my transmission won't survive after only 2 passes.

I ran at the drag strip last night. The Suprastick update is AWESOME! I can now switch maps on the fly. My 2nd gear burnout map is exactly what I needed. Since my car doesn't have enough HP to start the burnout in 2nd gear, I have this shift map that allows me to start in 1st, go to 6500rpm, shift into 2nd, and hold it at 6500rpm for a couple seconds. My traction is drastically improved, even on the 20" slicks. I am able to get the slicks heated enough to hold my power even at my local track on a test and tune night when it's always slippery.

The big race is tomorrow! Come on out and join me at Fayetteville Motorsports Park in Fayetteville, NC. It's the first annual SICC import heads up event. Gates open at 3pm, qualifying starts at 6pm. I'll be racing in the $2500 All Motor Bandit class.
Yeah, I understand what he is doing now. Sorry, don't know a whole lot about autos.

2nd gear burnouts are where it's at!
What were your 60fts?

Good luck in the all motor class.
Videos would be greatly appreciated lol
Old 09-10-2010, 11:42 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Yeah, I understand what he is doing now. Sorry, don't know a whole lot about autos.

2nd gear burnouts are where it's at!
What were your 60fts?

Good luck in the all motor class.
Videos would be greatly appreciated lol
My 60 foots last night were 1.87 and 1.88s. In the winter time with more power, that should be good for 1.80s easily. But there's still a lag since my power doesn't come on until 4100rpm. So the 20" slicks are still faster than the 22" slicks strictly due to the gearing if they are hooking that particular day. I ran a bunch of 12.4s last night. I wasn't in full track prep though. I just wanted to test everything out.

I'll be able to take some 'in car' videos as usual. But I don't think I'll have anybody there to take outside videos of the races.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:54 PM

My 60 foots last night were 1.87 and 1.88s. In the winter time with more power, that should be good for 1.80s easily. But there's still a lag since my power doesn't come on until 4100rpm. So the 20" slicks are still faster than the 22" slicks strictly due to the gearing if they are hooking that particular day. I ran a bunch of 12.4s last night. I wasn't in full track prep though. I just wanted to test everything out.

I'll be able to take some 'in car' videos as usual. But I don't think I'll have anybody there to take outside videos of the races.
Hope you do well. Represent for the maximas!
Old 09-11-2010, 06:18 AM

Aaron, have you ever logged while doing a run? Curious to know what your AFR is as soon as you launch. In my car, due to the low compression, low end is not the best, so I always try to do anything possible to improve the first 2 seconds of my launch, and one thing is to set the proper AFR such as mid/high 13's (high 14s feels like theres less power in my experience), same with timing, bump it up a little if your not knocking.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:21 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Aaron, have you ever logged while doing a run? Curious to know what your AFR is as soon as you launch. In my car, due to the low compression, low end is not the best, so I always try to do anything possible to improve the first 2 seconds of my launch, and one thing is to set the proper AFR such as mid/high 13's (high 14s feels like theres less power in my experience), same with timing, bump it up a little if your not knocking.
I always datalog every pass and sync it up with my timeslips when I log them. As of Thursday night (my last track visit), my 1st gear is too lean for optimal power (14.0:1). Then 2nd gear is around 13.5 right now, which is still too lean I think for optimal power NA. I make my best power right at 12.8-13.0. My 3rd gear was closer to 13.1.

I didn't do much tuning when I hit the track Thursday. Otherwise, I would have richened things up a tad. I just concentrated on making sure my Suprastick and new TC was working like I wanted. I'll get the tune more where I want it when I go for 11s sometime this Fall. I always see lower times when I get my AFR back closer to 13.0 in every gear.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:58 PM

So how did you do?
I heard the track was pretty bad because of the rain.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:29 AM
NWP Engineering.com

I decided at the last minute not to make the 2 hour drive to the track due to the high chance of rain. Last time, they canceled the race prematurely due to a tiny rain shower that was quickly passing through the area 3 hours before qualifying starts. So, I did not make the trip since I was almost certain they were going to cancel this event too. It did rain off and on, but they dried the track this time instead of canceling the event. Oh well.

It makes me feel better knowing that Pepsi was there (world's fastest NA Civic) running his usual 10s. So it's not like I had much of a chance in my class.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:27 PM

any update?
Old 09-27-2010, 04:22 PM
Turbo 3.5

I decided at the last minute not to make the 2 hour drive to the track due to the high chance of rain. Last time, they canceled the race prematurely due to a tiny rain shower that was quickly passing through the area 3 hours before qualifying starts. So, I did not make the trip since I was almost certain they were going to cancel this event too. It did rain off and on, but they dried the track this time instead of canceling the event. Oh well.

It makes me feel better knowing that Pepsi was there (world's fastest NA Civic) running his usual 10s. So it's not like I had much of a chance in my class.
A 10 sec all motor civic, what are the rules for your class

whats the weight requirement

Last edited by t6378tp; 09-27-2010 at 04:24 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by t6378tp

Usually it's like 2200lbs for a k-series car.
Although the class he is running in might not have weight limits.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:43 PM
Turbo 3.5

2200lbs is that with or without the driver
Old 09-28-2010, 02:37 PM
NWP Engineering.com

It depends what sanction the race is. For NSCRA, I believe it's roughly 2200lbs. You need a muffler, some carpet and a dash. Oh and 2 seats.

For Import Face Off All Motor Pro class, the weight requirement is even less, but you don't need a muffler or interior.

Yeah, the high compression race fuel K and H series engines are making over 350whp in a sub-2000lb Civic.

WITH Driver.

I'm at 2600lbs right now with driver in my 92 Maxima. According to my math, the lightest I'll ever be with a fuel cell, manual PS rack, and fiberglass hood is 2500lbs with cage and driver. So I will not be able to compete with these guys in a Maxima. The best I'll ever achieve with the engine I have now is 11.5 NA. If I built another engine, I could possibly do 11.1s. If I built a drag 2200lb Sentra, I could get it in the high 10s with a 350whp VQ35DE engine with individual throttle bodies. But I don't have any plans to ever do that. If I can't compete in my Maxima heads up, then I'll just put my interior back together and drive it on the street with 2 race seats and a cage. I could even start spraying nitrous again and/or design a turbocharger setup.

But right now, I'm concentrating on whooping the 12.05 NA VQ35 record I have. Expect that record to fall within the next 3 months.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:03 PM

Like Aaron said, that is with the driver. It is really easy to get them to that weight too. Not a challenge at all.
But right now, I'm concentrating on whooping the 12.05 NA VQ35 record I have. Expect that record to fall within the next 3 months.
Can't wait to see what you run when you get it all figured out.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:36 PM
Turbo 3.5

I could even start spraying nitrous again and/or design a turbocharger setup.

Any plans to take the #1 spot from Jime, btw a 11sec n/a maxima on a stock short block would be sick
Old 09-28-2010, 08:45 PM

btw a 11sec n/a maxima on a stock short block would be sick
He should easily be able to attain that goal.
I want to see an 11 second all motor maxima bad!
Old 09-29-2010, 10:51 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Like Aaron said, that is with the driver. It is really easy to get them to that weight too. Not a challenge at all.

Can't wait to see what you run when you get it all figured out.
Yeah, it's REALLY easy to get it below 2200lbs with driver and cage and full interior. In fact, they sometimes have to add a couple hundred pounds in weights to make weight requirements. They add it up front on the bumper whenever possible. I've seen several 1700 lbs Civics and CRXs running around. They just don't qualify for most heads up races.

Any plans to take the #1 spot from Jime, btw a 11sec n/a maxima on a stock short block would be sick
No, I don't have any plans at the moment. But it is a possibility once I get a chrome moly rollbar made. But that will be a year at least from now before I even think about nitrous or turbo.

He should easily be able to attain that goal.
I want to see an 11 second all motor maxima bad!
Yeah, 11s will be pretty easy for me to achieve. I can even do it with the TC stall I have now. All I need is a 55 degree day, which is happening now as we speak. Once I get the converter I want, I know 1.7s will be easy to achieve and 11.7s may be in my future. But for right now, the way the car sits, it's got an 11.9 in it pretty easily.

I can't wait to hit the track, set some new records, and get some new videos released.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:43 AM
NWP Engineering.com

We are still tinkering with my torque converter trying to get the stall I want. One interesting point I would like to bring out has to do with ATF temps. According to Andre at Edge Racing Converters, the optimal transmission temperature is 165 degrees (10 weight). That is what all his math is based off of. So, since my ATF temps are only getting as high as 150 degrees, that could be one of the reason why I'm not achieving my desired and calculated stall.

So, I am going to do some more testing with this latest 3600 stall converter and monitor temperatures in various locations around the transmission. I need to get the fluid to at least 165 degrees to do an accurate test of converter flash stall. The first thing I need to do is bypass my auxiliary transmission cooler since the highest I can get the temperature to is 150 degrees.

More than likely, Andre will build another converter for me to test. But I just thought this was an interesting point that I failed to realize. A converter in our small displacement engines may stall 300-400 rpm higher by having it warmed up to 165 degrees or higher instead of 120 degrees.

But let me just say that Andre at Edge Racing Converters is the best in the business when it comes to our Maximas. I would be insulted if I saw a fellow Maxima enthusiast chose to go with another company for their torque converter needs! Be sure to talk to Andre directly.

And no, I am not receiving ANY kickbacks or discounts from Andre to say this. He has just been going so far out of his way to make sure he provides the converter I need to continue being the world's fastest NA VQ35.

http://www.edgeracingconverters.com

Quick Reply: 3rd gen VQ35DE Full ECU Swap Progress Thread