All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

3rd gen VQ35DE Full ECU Swap Progress Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 08:59 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Also, one thing I forgot to mention in that Andre said he is making two of these 9.5" torque converters. That way, if he needs to tweak something while I'm testing one of them, things will move faster and I won't have to remove my tranny to send it back in for tweaking.

So, once all our testing is complete, he will have another converter available for sale at a pretty reasonable price considering how much R&D is going into it. I'm sure if you were to purchase one of these from scratch, it'll cost over a grand. But, if the converter does what I need it to, it's well worth the costs!
Old 11-23-2011, 11:30 AM

Seeing the engine dismantled like that is sick man.I wish I could rebuild my engine but it's such a costly job,and my tensioners are making that annoying noise when I start up my car.

I hope it doesn't die anytime because I only have one car right now

Old 11-23-2011, 12:12 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by mrjasonlyrics
Seeing the engine dismantled like that is sick man.I wish I could rebuild my engine but it's such a costly job,and my tensioners are making that annoying noise when I start up my car.

I hope it doesn't die anytime because I only have one car right now
Thanks.

I have been meaning to bump this thread for a while now. I still have the 4500-5000rpm high stall 9.5" torque converter in the works. I just don't know when that prototype will be ready for testing.

I also plan on finally installing a LRMAF and 3.5" intake tubing! I already have the parts ready to swap in and tune with the UTEC.

I am also excited to be conducting the testing on the new custom intake manifolds that sparks03max will be building. I have seen some really nice intake manifolds come from him. He definitely knows what he's doing. Here's his thread for the UIM: http://forums.maxima.org/all-motor/6...roduction.html

I also have plans on testing and running a 75mm DBW throttle body soon. I also, may go much much larger than that (approx 90mm) if I'm able to see a gain with it along with this custom intake manifold.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:50 PM

Hey I know its old threads! Aaron, any update? Thank You.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:39 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by MIKERNM1990
Hey I know its old threads! Aaron, any update? Thank You.
Thanks for the bump. There isn't much of an update. I'm still working on the 9.5" 5K stall torque converter. I hope to do some testing with that prototype this Summer.

And I don't know if I'll be testing sparks' custom manifold anymore. That project was put on hold I believe.

But I still crank the VQ35 engine up every month or so to make sure it's running great, which it is. I forget how fast this car really is. But I can't drive it much since I still have a leak in my radiator that I need to fix before putting it back on the road. So I usually just drive it for a few minutes until the temps get to 200 degrees and I shut it down. It still puts a smile on my face.

But I still have plans to get this thing running mid 11s in the 1/4 mile naturally aspirated. As far as I know, it's still the world's quickest NA VQ35 powered vehicle which includes Maximas, swapped Sentras, or the 350z.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:14 AM
NWP Engineering.com

I figured I would bump this thread and provide a quick update on the 9.5" TC. I just chatted with Andre at Edge Racing Converters a few minutes ago and he was out of commission for a little while with some health problems. So that is delaying things a tad. But Edge Racing is still running in full swing and can provide you with the torque converter you need. But as far as this special 9.5" prototype, it's something that has never been built before with any Nissan that I know of. And Andre is in charge of all extreme style prototypes such as this. So hopefully, since he's feeling better now, I will be able to test this new TC within the next month or two.

I'll keep you guys updated.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:10 PM
NWP Engineering.com

I've got some exciting news about this new torque converter that Edge Racing is building. I chatted with Andre earlier today and it seems that the project is taking off again now that he's feeling a little better. Just in time for the Nissan Infiniti Shootout at Atco, NJ! www.nishootout.com

My goal is to have this TC installed and tested before the big race on Sept 23rd. If I can flash stall above 4400rpm, I may be able to squeeze an 11 second pass even in 80 degree weather if I can get the slicks to hook and pull a 1.60-1.70 60 foot time.

Also, instead of a 9.5" converter (245mm math), Andre is now thinking of building me an EVEN SMALLER converter at 8.75" or 9.1". This means an even lighter converter with less fluid, which should mean more HP to the ground than my current 3K converter and a higher stall.

The bolt pattern of our stock 10.5" converter won't allow for a smaller converter. So the driveplate half of the converter will be OEM while the transmission side will be incredibly small and lightweight.

I can't wait to post pictures of the prototype! The world's first high stall converter using anything other than the stock converter housing! I haven't seen or heard of any Nissan doing this!
Old 08-07-2012, 05:59 AM
Turbo 3.5

nice to hear
Old 08-07-2012, 11:41 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by t6378tp
nice to hear
If this 9" converter pans out like I think it will, you will start to see people doing MT to AT swaps in order to make their Maximas go fast! I kept my automatic for a reason.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

That's pretty cool to hear....I grew up with manuals and motorcycles and enjoyed them but I credit my little '93 Altima over 10 years ago with my enjoying automatics since. It was my first nissan and with bolt ons, the tranny that had never been drained, changed,etc after 250,000 miles on it could still on occasion chirp second gear lol....

There was always something I loved about the feel of the auto dropping down into passing gear and the little kick it gave....
Old 08-10-2012, 06:04 PM
Turbo 3.5

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
If this 9" converter pans out like I think it will, you will start to see people doing MT to AT swaps in order to make their Maximas go fast! I kept my automatic for a reason.
lol, I think auto's are better for drag racing and sticks for road course and dd action
Old 08-13-2012, 01:27 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by niceguy
That's pretty cool to hear....I grew up with manuals and motorcycles and enjoyed them but I credit my little '93 Altima over 10 years ago with my enjoying automatics since. It was my first nissan and with bolt ons, the tranny that had never been drained, changed,etc after 250,000 miles on it could still on occasion chirp second gear lol....

There was always something I loved about the feel of the auto dropping down into passing gear and the little kick it gave....
I always make sure that my ATF is in brand new condition. If it's not bright red, then you needed to change it a LONG time ago. Do not wait until it gets brown. And unless you have a shift kit or have purposely unplugged your drop resistor, you shouldn't be chirping 2nd gear. Usually, when you put in some fresh ATF, it will start to shift smoother again.

lol, I think auto's are better for drag racing and sticks for road course and dd action
Yeah, I agree. But I do LOVE my automatic for daily driving. Traction is very predictable and consistent. While the other guy is manually shifting his gears and trying his best to keep traction, I'm already in front of him.

It just takes a lot more skill to launch a MT consistently. Some really good 60 foots can be achieved with one. It's just a lot harder. I just flip a switch to make sure the correct shift map is being used on my standalone TCM and hang onto the steering wheel with both hands.

But I know what you mean. It is fun to shift a MT for some spirited daily driving.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:45 PM
NWP Engineering.com

It's been over 2 years since our last video. We apologize. But we are back in the game and shooting for 11s All Motor!

This is footage from the night we ran our world record 1/4 mile pass of 12.04 @ 113mph.

We are gearing up for the first annual Nissan Infiniti Shootout at Atco Raceway in NJ on Sept 23, 2012! This is an event you DO NOT WANT TO MISS! Please visit http://www.nishootout.com for more information.

Thank you for all your support!

Be sure to turn up the volume!

Old 08-29-2012, 10:08 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Update on the Edge Racing 9" Torque Converter prototype!

I just got a call from Andre at Edge Racing this afternoon and the world's first known Nissan 9" high stall torque converter prototype is being mailed out today for me to test! I can't remember how long we have been working on this. It's probably been about 2 years now.

I may see a flash stall of 4000 or 5500rpm! This is all new stall math since it's never been done before.

I can't wait to get this thing installed within the next few weeks and find out how my car reacts to it. Once I am able to do a test and tune session at the local track, we'll know if we need to raise or lower the stall from there, which should effect my trap speed. The higher the stall, the lower the trap speed. The lower the stall, the higher the trap speed usually.

That's why this lightweight 9" converter is such a huge break through! The 9" size will provide a 4K+ stall while increasing the trap speed at the same time compared to the stock 10.5" cover size. And it shouldn't increase the ATF temperature since it won't be nearly as loose as my 3600 stall 10.5" converter was set.

Andre warned me that this prototype is not pretty. But it is balanced and pressure tested and will work. Once I test it, the final product will be beautiful. And he also said that this converter will be made available for sale to the public. At first, we were thinking that we'll just make 1 or 2 prototypes just for my Maxima, but he found a way to make it available for sale.

I'll post pictures within the next week when I receive it. Stay tuned!
Old 08-29-2012, 11:38 AM
Turbo 3.5

Nice did he give any input on how it might react to nitrous
Old 08-29-2012, 12:09 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Nice did he give any input on how it might react to nitrous
No. I'm not really concerned with nitrous right now. Only all motor. But I did mention cams. And a more aggressive set of cams will probably change my stall; probably higher.

But let's say if I achieve a 4500rpm stall right now naturally aspirated. If I sprayed a 50 shot on the launch, I'd easily see 4900-5000 stall! So it's really based on how much power I am making around that flash stall reading.

I should have a high enough rev limit that I will drastically benefit from this high stall converter. And even if it stalls above 5K rpm slightly with a different set of cams or intake manifold, I'd probably be shifting at 7800+ then. So it'll be a nice power band!

It'll be fun testing out this prototype converter!
Old 08-30-2012, 08:45 AM

Can't wait to see how the car launches with the new converter!
Old 08-30-2012, 03:04 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by krazy6
Can't wait to see how the car launches with the new converter!
Me too! I have no idea what stall to expect! I just know it's a far lighter and smaller converter.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:43 AM
NWP Engineering.com

We just received the first Edge Racing 245mm High Stall Torque Converter Prototype! This is the world's first smaller high stall torque converter for a Nissan! It's not a pretty prototype according to Andre at Edge Racing Converters in Simi Valley, CA. But, I think it's absolutely gorgeous since we've been working on this project, off and on, for about 2 years now.

The next step is to get this prototype installed in our 1992 Maxima VQ35 race car and test it out on the race track to see what kind of stall and 1/4 mile ETs we can achieve. Since this is something that has never been done before, we are not sure what the flash stall rating will end up being. It could only be 3600 or it could be 4500rpm. But, there is absolutely no negative fin angle with this converter. No fins have been bent. So whatever the stall ends up being, we can easily adjust it from there. The possibilities are almost endless by switching over to 245mm components! We are expecting more top end HP and lower fluid temperatures with this smaller converter, as well as, a much higher stall which will allow us to launch under the peak torque of this engine. Expect to see some All Motor 11 second 1/4 mile passes with this converter! Stay tuned!

http://www.edgeracingconverters.com/

Last edited by Aaron92SE; 09-10-2012 at 10:20 AM.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:20 PM

^
Old 09-07-2012, 05:32 PM
Turbo 3.5

when you planning to install it
Old 09-10-2012, 10:21 AM
NWP Engineering.com

when you planning to install it
I'm hoping to install and test it within the next 4 weeks.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:43 PM
NWP Engineering.com

This post was taken from this thread in order to stay on topic:
http://forums.maxima.org/8641265-post40.html

Originally Posted by ABIGBRAIN
Aaron, I will pm you tomorrow as I don't want to further hijack SurraTT's thread. Suffice to say that given our current difference in HP, this same converter that your hoping for 4500 RPM with would be between 3800 and 4000 for me. Any anti-ballooning plate in this prototype?
I'm not sure of what setup you have and how much power you're laying down, but the stall would be very similar if we were talking about a 3500 stall since I have a very little amount of low end power with my engine at 3000-4000rpm. It's when I hit 4100rpm, that I see a pretty big boost in HP.

But if I see a 4500rpm stall with this new Edge Racing converter, you will probably see a 4100-4300 stall. If I spray a 35-50 shot on the launch, that 4500 stall would be about 4900-5000rpm.

There is not an anti-ballooning plate on this prototype. I don't think it's needed at all with my setup. It would weigh things down and hurt my HP to the ground. But if I was spraying a 200+ shot, it might be something to consider. Feel free to call Andre at Edge Racing if you would like to purchase a torque converter or chat with him about your options. The 3K stall they would build for you is the most efficient one on the market I think for street/strip Maximas. But if you would like to create a Maxima drag car, then you may want to hold off until I finish this testing.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:40 PM
Turbo 3.5

I'm hoping to install and test it within the next 4 weeks.
tc in yet
Old 10-19-2012, 08:23 PM
NWP Engineering.com

tc in yet
Not quite yet. I am making a lot of progress cleaning and organizing my garage. Once that is complete, I will be able to pull the car in and do the install. I should visit a TnT at my local track so I have some runs to compare to once the new converter is in. It's been 2 years since I ran my car last. So I won't be able to compare to those times.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:51 AM

It will be a lot of work to get this car back up and running. So I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it back to the track before the weather starts warming back up in March. But I will try.

The only hard thing to do is install a manual steering rack. Things are cramped, so I may have to remove the engine to do it.
Aaron, you might want to consider using a Pinto or MustangII steering rack. They come in different lengths. And are super lightweight. Once you get your measurments on the Maxirack you. Should be good to order one up. Flaming River, Jegs, Summit, Ebay and Racingjunk.com are some good places to check out.

Andy

Edit: I posted this from my phone earlier and didn't notice that your post was from so long ago... was too early in the morning and I hadn't had my coffee yet... sorry bout that. It's still a good idea tho even if you wanted to cut more weight.

Last edited by ABIGBRAIN; 11-03-2012 at 06:12 AM.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:49 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Aaron, you might want to consider using a Pinto or MustangII steering rack. They come in different lengths. And are super lightweight. Once you get your measurments on the Maxirack you. Should be good to order one up. Flaming River, Jegs, Summit, Ebay and Racingjunk.com are some good places to check out.

Andy

Edit: I posted this from my phone earlier and didn't notice that your post was from so long ago... was too early in the morning and I hadn't had my coffee yet... sorry bout that. It's still a good idea tho even if you wanted to cut more weight.
Yeah, it is still a good idea. I already have a spare PS rack that I pulled from my 92 Maxima parts car. I quickly measured the length of that rack and it is similar in length. I would just need to find shorter inner tie rods and the correct size outer tie rods to go in my stock 3rd gen steering knuckles. That shouldn't be hard to find.

And it shouldn't be too hard to fab up some brackets to hold the rack on the firewall.

One of the aluminum racks I saw on Summit Racing was only 15lbs. I haven't weighed my stock rack, but it's probably only 25lbs w/o any PS components. So it may not be a substantial weight savings but it will certainly be easier to turn a full manual rack instead of my converted manual PS rack.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:55 PM

Any further progress or updates Aaron?

Andy
Old 03-16-2013, 05:05 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Any further progress or updates Aaron?

Andy
Thanks for the bump Andy. I actually do have some updates.

I don't have many updates on the manual rack or the 245mm prototype high stall converter. But I've decided to make sure I do the rack install at the same time I have my axles and tranny removed in order to install the converter.

But I have been driving the car a lot lately doing some testing on it. The radiator is not leaking any more. I guess that stop leak stuff I poured in their on my last race day finally made a seal. I hate using that stuff, but I had to since I sprung a leak on the last chance of the season to crack 11s all motor. It held up for the track and I ran 12.04s, but sprung a leak again near the end of the night.

But I still plan on replacing the radiator real soon though.

I've been doing some testing of the engine lately stretching out 2nd gear to fine tune some things. But I noticed my wideband went lean at 5K on every pull! But since the engine still made gobs of power, I knew I wasn't running lean. After replacing a bad wideband sensor, I was able to get some good logs. My AFR is pretty decent right now. But one thing I noticed was my injector duty cycle is at 95-99%!! I knew I was getting close to maxing out the stock injectors but this is the first time in a couple years that I've been able to slow down and concentrate on my tune. So I will probably get some 570cc GTR injectors which will be more than big enough to handle any type of NA engine build I could ever imagine.

Simply put, the stock FWD VQ35 injectors can only handle 275-290whp SAE corrected at 52psi without going above 95% IDC!

Also, I notice my 225K mile old 1992 fuel pump isn't able to quite keep up. I have the pressure set to 52psi right now. But I noticed that at the top of 2nd gear at 6-7K rpm, it will dip below 45psi at 14.5v. It's not bad enough to go lean, my AFR is still in the high 12s. But I ordered a 255lph high pressure Walbro that'll be here today. I hope to be able to maintain 52psi at only 11.5v without an alternator.

But this is really the first time I've been able to glance at the fuel pressure gauge in the top of 2nd gear. It's really hard keeping the car in your lane at WOT in the top of 2nd! I'm usually too busy looking at the road or glancing at the wideband display.

That's all for now. But I'm sure I'll think of something else to update you guys with. I've been doing an awful lot of work on the 92 Max lately.

Last edited by Aaron92SE; 03-16-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:56 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Here's one of the latest pictures from our NWP Engineering Instagram page. You can follow us at: http://instagram.com/nwp_engineering

User name: nwp_engineering

Old 03-17-2013, 06:03 PM
Turbo 3.5

sounds like it time for some kind of datalogger
Old 03-17-2013, 07:26 PM
NWP Engineering.com

sounds like it time for some kind of datalogger
What do you mean? That's what I've been doing is testing the car out and analyzing logs.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:07 PM
Turbo 3.5

Oh misread your post then though you were eyeballing it by watching gauges
Old 03-18-2013, 01:17 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Oh misread your post then though you were eyeballing it by watching gauges
Yeah. I have to eyeball the fuel pressure gauge which is a mechanical gauge mounted just outside the windshield underneath the wipers.

I need to get an electric fuel pressure gauge that I can datalog somehow. But those are expensive compared to a mechanical gauge. I think I spent $30 for everything I need to rig up my gauge.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:43 AM

Sub d , I really like what you re doing here Aaron , look forward the updates .
Old 03-19-2013, 10:40 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by sprocketser
Sub d , I really like what you re doing here Aaron , look forward the updates .
Thanks!
Old 03-28-2013, 01:41 PM
NWP Engineering.com

For those that don't follow me on Instagram, here's a pic I posted a week or so ago. It's a Walbro 255lph High Pressure fuel pump. It's about time I upgraded too! The one that I'm using now is the ORIGINAL 1992 pump with over 220K miles on it. And it actually supplies enough fuel to race the car, just BARELY! At 6-7K rpm, I am starting to notice a drop in pressure. It's not enough to make the AFR lean, but it's close. On top of that, I'm running 98-99% duty cycle on my stock injectors! It's time I upgrade those as well! And I'm only putting down about 275-280whp SAE corrected.

I'm hoping that with this new pump, I will be able to race without an alternator charging the battery. So instead of 14v, it'll be running off 11v or so.

You can follow me at: http://instagram.com/nwp_engineering

User name: nwp_engineering
Old 03-28-2013, 02:24 PM
Turbo 3.5

will that tiny battery have enough power to run everything without a alt
Old 03-28-2013, 04:39 PM
NWP Engineering.com

will that tiny battery have enough power to run everything without a alt
I think so, but probably just for a pass or two. The fuel pump is the most important. My coil packs will be fine. But, if it's not enough power to run the fuel pump, I'll just continue running the alternator or possibly get a bigger battery. Some drag cars even use a higher voltage battery system just to be able to push a large amount of fuel without the use of an alternator.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:23 PM

I think so, but probably just for a pass or two. The fuel pump is the most important. My coil packs will be fine. But, if it's not enough power to run the fuel pump, I'll just continue running the alternator or possibly get a bigger battery. Some drag cars even use a higher voltage battery system just to be able to push a large amount of fuel without the use of an alternator.
16 volts baby!! or you could rig up a small electric motor to spin the alternator while warming up in the lanes and during your burnout.... shut it off during the pass and then flip it back on once you cross the line and keep it running until you get back to the pits.

Andy

Quick Reply: 3rd gen VQ35DE Full ECU Swap Progress Thread