All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

3rd gen VQ35DE Full ECU Swap Progress Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 09:56 PM

This is very awesome; sorry I didnt post about it earlier but I admire your skills man! I wish I had HALF your skills then I'd have my engine built and running.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:02 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by ABIGBRAIN
16 volts baby!! or you could rig up a small electric motor to spin the alternator while warming up in the lanes and during your burnout.... shut it off during the pass and then flip it back on once you cross the line and keep it running until you get back to the pits.

Andy
Yeah. I have seriously thought about a 16 volt system. But I have made the decision to turn my car back into a full street car. So it will have an alternator, full interior/carpet, bumper supports, full exhaust, and door beams again. I should be able to drive it to more Maxima meets in the future.

But I want those 11s first though! Once we get the torque converter stuff done and I do a little tinkering on the engine to crack 300whp, 11s will be EASY. After that, I will slowly piece everything back together and possibly concentrate on building a serious 2009 Maxima engine! Possibly drop it into a 1800lb B13 chassis solely for drag racing! Can you say low 10s? ALL MOTOR!

Originally Posted by Maximeltman
This is very awesome; sorry I didnt post about it earlier but I admire your skills man! I wish I had HALF your skills then I'd have my engine built and running.
Thanks! I appreciate all your support!
Old 03-30-2013, 05:24 AM
Banned

If your needing the extra voltage many rebuilders have converted delco cs130 alty's to run 1 wire with external adjustable regulators also there are also ford units that do the same but for a maxima i say look into the cs130 delco unit it has better compatability with mounting points
Old 03-31-2013, 09:54 AM
I like Maximas

aaron great job

looking at the pics it's time to drop in a 300zx TT fuel filter as well

bigger injectors with a AFPR to regulate fuel pres in the low end..
Old 04-01-2013, 10:53 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by cjandura
If your needing the extra voltage many rebuilders have converted delco cs130 alty's to run 1 wire with external adjustable regulators also there are also ford units that do the same but for a maxima i say look into the cs130 delco unit it has better compatability with mounting points
That's cool. But I don't think I need any extra voltage. The stock alternator puts out enough for me right now.

Originally Posted by vipervadim
aaron great job

looking at the pics it's time to drop in a 300zx TT fuel filter as well

bigger injectors with a AFPR to regulate fuel pres in the low end..
Thanks. I currently have a Z32 fuel filter (the giant 5/16" one) along with a Nismo AFPR meant for an SR20DET. It bolts right to the VQ35 fuel rail after opening up the stock bolt holes on the AFPR. That's how I'm controlling my pressure.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:23 AM
Apple Pie Monster

I wish I knew what happend to mine

then again.........maybe its better I dont know.

glad to see ur still pushing the limits mang!
Old 05-30-2013, 09:42 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150

I wish I knew what happend to mine

then again.........maybe its better I dont know.

glad to see ur still pushing the limits mang!
I appreciate it.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:12 PM

Any updates? Love this car!
Old 06-24-2013, 09:29 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by krazy6
Any updates? Love this car!
Thank you! I'm sorry that I don't have any updates right now. The car is just sitting in the shop. I crank it up every now and then to make sure the engine stays healthy. The GTR injectors needs to be installed and UTEC retuned before I hit the track again to get some base numbers since it's been so long since I ran the 1/4 mile in this car. Then, I'll have some good times to compare to when I install the 4K+ stall Edge Racing Torque Converter prototype that's sitting on the shelf!

I really want to get this car back out on the track. But I've spent every waking moment trying to get this new NWP product released for the VQ35DE engine. Testing is complete and the HP gains are impressive! The product will fit on the following vehicles:

03-06 350z
03-07 G35 Coupe
03-06 G35 Sedan
02-08 Maxima
02-06 Altima 3.5L
02-04 I35
03-07 Murano
04-09 Quest

We hope to have the product released within the next couple weeks!
Old 06-24-2013, 10:16 AM

This new product prove any gains on a 3.5 swapped 4th gen with 3.0 timing?
Old 06-24-2013, 10:43 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by Fakie J Farkerton
This new product prove any gains on a 3.5 swapped 4th gen with 3.0 timing?
We didn't specifically test on a 4th gen Maxima VQ35 with 3.0 timing, but the gains will be the same or almost identical to the near stock 03 Maxima automatic we tested. A RWD VQ35DE 350z/G35 and my 92 Maxima VQ35 full ECU swap was also thoroughly put to the test!
Old 06-24-2013, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
We didn't specifically test on a 4th gen Maxima VQ35 with 3.0 timing, but the gains will be the same or almost identical to the near stock 03 Maxima automatic we tested. A RWD VQ35DE 350z/G35 and my 92 Maxima VQ35 full ECU swap was also thoroughly put to the test!
So you think the absence of a variable cam timing makes no difference and I will still see gains with the 3.0 timing on the 3.5??
I'm getting anxious now...

Last edited by Fakie J Farkerton; 06-24-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:59 AM
NWP Engineering.com

So you think the absence of a variable cam timing makes no difference and I will still see gains with the 3.0 timing on the 3.5??
I'm getting anxious now...
To keep this on topic somewhat, let's chat in this thread that I noticed someone else started:

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ming-soon.html
Old 06-24-2013, 11:03 AM

Understood, sorry I was excited. Lol
Old 06-24-2013, 11:10 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Understood, sorry I was excited. Lol
It's ok. Don't apologize. I was the first to mention this new product and get off topic. But I noticed that other thread in the 5th gen section. I figure it would be a perfect thread to move this conversation over to.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:14 AM

it's cool to see you still playing around with this 3rd gen
Old 06-24-2013, 11:20 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by Amerikaner83
it's cool to see you still playing around with this 3rd gen
I appreciate it. I know I would regret it if I ever got rid of my 3rd gen!
Old 07-14-2013, 10:44 AM

Someone should give up their carbon fiber hood to you so you can go faster lol
Old 07-14-2013, 06:52 PM
Turbo 3.5

is the new edge tc in yet
Old 09-30-2013, 10:28 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by coolsun
Someone should give up their carbon fiber hood to you so you can go faster lol
Yeah, I would love a lighter hood! I would cut out the cross bracing on my hood, but I love the hood supports too much when working on the engine!

Originally Posted by t6378tp
is the new edge tc in yet
Sorry for the late response. I didn't see this until now. No, the prototype Edge Racing converter is just sitting in the shop waiting to be installed.

I've been working on my Maxima some lately. The R35 GTR injectors have been installed for several weeks now, but I just got around to tuning them this week. I now have a rough tune with a 13.0:1 AFR. I still left it on the rich side after 6K rpm though. My injector duty cycle is now as high as 60-65% at 12:1 AFR at 7K rpm in the top of 2nd gear. I won't top out 3rd gear until I visit the track to do some more tuning.

I may need to change my oil before I race the engine any more though. I'm waiting on some Used Oil Analysis results of the 0w30 Amsoil Signature Series oil I'm currently using. It's expensive stuff. So I don't want to drain it when it's still in perfect condition. I'll probably switch to regular conventional oil on my next oil change and just change it often. The engine sees 7K rpm every single time it's on.

Also, I have a spare power steering rack that I got out of my 92 Maxima parts car. I am going to convert it over to full manual. I don't feel like bothering with rigging up an expensive manual rack when I have a stock rack ready to go. Just cut the seals out of it and make sure there's plenty of grease in it and cap the lines.

Once the new rack goes in and I get an alignment, I should be ready to hit up the track. I want to get some base runs since it's been a couple years since my last timeslips. Then, I will install the new converter and be able to compare them to the latest timeslips.

Also, on a side note, for the very first time, I'm proud to say that my car actually made my passenger puke after a few wide open throttle pulls!
Old 10-08-2013, 09:42 AM
NWP Engineering.com

I recently got my Used Oil Analysis (UOA) results back. My Maxima has been sitting for the past few years with very little run time. My last track visit was on 10/29/2010!!

I just cranked it up every month or so and tried to keep the engine in good working order. A sitting engine is not a happy one!

So the oil that I sent off for testing has been sitting in this engine for 3.5 years! But, it only had 2000 miles on it and it is very expensive Amsoil 0w30 oil! I didn't want to change it when it's still in good shape. Plus, I needed to check on the condition of the engine and see if any abrasive materials have increased since my last UOA.

Simply put, the oil is in great shape! No water or high content of metals. The viscosity was a hair bit low, but it's plenty good to continue using for at least another 750-1000 miles. I'll probably change it after that. The silicon was higher than normal, though, indicating the effects of racing sometimes without an air filter.

Also, I finished converting my power steering rack over to manual by removing the main seal, applying plenty of bearing grease, and plugging the lines. Now it's ready to install. I'll just swap over the good outer tie rod ends and boots from the race car and install. I also ordered new rack insulators (mounts).
Old 10-21-2013, 01:51 PM
NWP Engineering.com

I had a chance to install the newly converted manual steering rack into my Maxima. Everything went smooth. I finally removed the pump, reservoir, cooler, lines, hoses, brackets, etc. I shaved 14 lbs. And the engine bay looks a lot cleaner!

All this time, I have been driving the car without a PS belt. So, it's not easy fighting the fluid pressure. Now that the rack seal is cut out, the steering is a LOT easier and a lot smoother!

Locked steering wheel:

Rack ready to install:
Old 10-21-2013, 08:48 PM

I had a chance to install the newly converted manual steering rack into my Maxima. Everything went smooth. I finally removed the pump, reservoir, cooler, lines, hoses, brackets, etc. I shaved 14 lbs. And the engine bay looks a lot cleaner! All this time, I have been driving the car without a PS belt. So, it's not easy fighting the fluid pressure. Now that the rack seal is cut out, the steering is a LOT easier and a lot smoother! Locked steering wheel: Rack ready to install:
Group buy for 4th gens.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:08 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Group buy for 4th gens.
Group buy for what? Modified racks?

If you are interested in doing it yourself, I'll be happy to help you for free if you have any questions.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:18 PM

Group buy for what? Modified racks? If you are interested in doing it yourself, I'll be happy to help you for free if you have any questions.
Write up has been requested.

And thanks for the nuts and bolts to help me with my spacers. Loving the results.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:58 PM

^ this please
Old 10-22-2013, 02:28 PM
NWP Engineering.com

And thanks for the nuts and bolts to help me with my spacers. Loving the results.
Originally Posted by ABIGBRAIN
^ this please
Here is a write up that pretty much explains it all: http://www.flyinmiata.com/tech/depower.php?x=1

Then, use your Factory Service Manual to fill in the blanks such as torque specs. Also, you will need to drill out a stake before trying to remove the main end nut. The FSM tells you what size drill bit you need. Without drilling out the stake, you will damage all the threads on the aluminum end nut.

Also, here is another good write up: http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...ring-Rack.aspx

As far as the "slop" that MotoIQ noticed, I didn't notice any of that play in the stock 92 Maxima rack. So I didn't bother with any welding.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:41 PM

Here is a write up that pretty much explains it all: http://www.flyinmiata.com/tech/depower.php?x=1 Then, use your Factory Service Manual to fill in the blanks such as torque specs. Also, you will need to drill out a stake before trying to remove the main end nut. The FSM tells you what size drill bit you need. Without drilling out the stake, you will damage all the threads on the aluminum end nut. Also, here is another good write up: http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...ring-Rack.aspx As far as the "slop" that MotoIQ noticed, I didn't notice any of that play in the stock 92 Maxima rack. So I didn't bother with any welding.

Thanks!!
Old 11-03-2013, 08:06 AM

Hey Aaron, I hope all is well... I just went true the entire thread, man what journey !

I can only congrats you for all that hard works. I hope to have more time in the near futur to work out the kinks on my own car ( which has been sitting in the garage for almost 7 years now) I can hardly believe this myself, but sometime life take an unexpected turn and you got to deal with it. Any 75mm TB expected for the 2k1 ?

Cheers

AA
Old 11-03-2013, 01:35 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by doublea
Hey Aaron, I hope all is well... I just went true the entire thread, man what journey !

I can only congrats you for all that hard works. I hope to have more time in the near futur to work out the kinks on my own car ( which has been sitting in the garage for almost 7 years now) I can hardly believe this myself, but sometime life take an unexpected turn and you got to deal with it. Any 75mm TB expected for the 2k1 ?

Cheers

AA
Thank you. It's been over 3 years since my car has set foot on the track! But I'm ready to hit the track this Thursday evening to get some baseline runs in. I want to get some consistent 1/4 mile times before I swap in the prototype torque converter that Edge Racing built for me. Since it's been 3 years and I've done so much to the car since my last pass, I need something more accurate to compare to in order to make sure this new converter is what I need.

I have no idea what kind of 1/4 mile times my car will do. Since I ran the 12.04, I have done a lot of tuning, installed R35 GTR injectors, larger fuel pump, manual steering rack (less weight), 3.25" ID MAF housing, and NWP Engineering 75mm Big Bore Throttle Body Kit. But I still have more tuning to do to get back to where I was 3 years ago. I should be able to fine tune the AFR a bit further this Thursday.

But the weather isn't going to be nearly as good as when I ran the 12.04. So if I run at least 12.3s, that means I am in good shape to run 11s really soon when the weather gets cooler, especially with the new torque converter. We'll see.

Who wants to come out to Kinston, NC this Thursday night and race with me?
Old 11-07-2013, 11:23 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Here is a pic of when I recently matched the NWP 75mm Big Bore Throttle Body Adapter Plate to my already ported Elbow:

And yesterday, I went and got an alignment to make sure everything is nice and straight after replacing my steering rack with the converted manual unit. During the alignment, I jack up the front end by 1" to mimic a launch and make sure the camber was as close to zero as possible. The camber didn't change by more than .3-.4 degrees with only a 1" raise. But if it raised by more than that, the camber went way out of spec positive. But it was nice to know exactly what happens to the camber when the front end rises on the launch.

Old 11-07-2013, 06:04 PM

In for times from tonight!
Old 11-07-2013, 06:29 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by krazy6
In for times from tonight!
Tonight's TnT was postponed until tomorrow night. So I'll be sure to post an update then.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:53 PM

Sounds good!
Old 11-08-2013, 07:12 AM
Taking my Maxima to the Max!

How would you say that this type of build differs in terms of power production and delivery compared to FI builds and which would be better for daily driving performance and road courses?

Also, since you fit your original VE auto trans to the VQ is it somehow possible to fit a 6-speed VQ trans to a VE or VG? Thanks, and congrats on all your progress and success!
Old 11-08-2013, 10:37 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by mrkanda
How would you say that this type of build differs in terms of power production and delivery compared to FI builds and which would be better for daily driving performance and road courses?

Also, since you fit your original VE auto trans to the VQ is it somehow possible to fit a 6-speed VQ trans to a VE or VG? Thanks, and congrats on all your progress and success!
Well, with my 2450lb all motor VQ35DE 92 Maxima, I can't keep it on the road in 1st gear! Traction is a joke even with giant sticky street tires. But I can get it to hook up barely in 2nd gear, so the thing pulls REALLY hard on the street in 2nd.

If I was turbocharged and making a little bit more power, it would be harder to keep traction with street tires. I think my naturally aspirated engine is more predictable than a turbo'd VQ35 when it comes to judging when the tires are about to break loose.

If you are interested in road course racing, then I'd contact Joe Ippolito at 2J Racing in GA. We sponsor his NA VQ35DE powered B15 Sentra and it's extremely fast around the track. Contact him and see what he thinks.

And I got my original 1992 RE4F04V transmission to fit with the VQ engine by swapping torque converter housings from a 4th gen Maxima RE4F04A tranny. It may be possible to get a VQ 6spd tranny to mate to a VE/VG. But you may have to have an adapter plate machined. I don't know if you will be able to swap bellhousings.

I was really fortunate when I figured out that the VQ tranny TC housing matches up perfectly to the older VE trans. It made my life a whole lot easier.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:17 PM

Thumbs up

Tonight's TnT was postponed until tomorrow night. So I'll be sure to post an update then.
11.99 or BUST!!
Old 11-08-2013, 06:14 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

And I got my original 1992 RE4F04V transmission to fit with the VQ engine by swapping torque converter housings from a 4th gen Maxima RE4F04A tranny. It may be possible to get a VQ 6spd tranny to mate to a VE/VG. But you may have to have an adapter plate machined. I don't know if you will be able to swap bellhousings.

I was really fortunate when I figured out that the VQ tranny TC housing matches up perfectly to the older VE trans. It made my life a whole lot easier.
You know, I betcha that's true of all the RE4F04x transmissions. I hung a 2001 Maxima housing on a 2006 Altima RE4F04B transmission, for the lower final drive, and it fit fine. Only thing is the differential must be of the same type - non-LSD or VLSD, since the driver's side bearing are so different. Nissan made the RE4F04x transmissions for at least 14 years.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:30 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Well, we had a pretty interesting night. On my very first pass, the car dead hooked with a 1.81 60' (new record). But the track only recorded the 1/8 mile time and not the 1/4! I ran a 7.73 @ 89.4mph (new record) which would have been good for an 11.99 or so. Too bad that my transmission popped just after the pass was completed. I lost 1st and 2nd gear and reverse. If it wasn't for that, it would have been easy to run high 11s tonight.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:47 PM

Good news other than the transmission breaking.

It was just a stock transmission right?

Quick Reply: 3rd gen VQ35DE Full ECU Swap Progress Thread