All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

Another 3.5 swap!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 07:43 PM

lol...thanks guys! i love trying to make things look more factory..

it really wasn't too bad, all the wires tucked in just fine!
Old 04-21-2009, 12:14 AM

well i got the 3.5 swap started today! everything went very smooth so far. i pretty much have everything done as much as i can. I don't have a big enough socket for the axle nut so i'll have to get one tomorrow. here are some pictures!

engine should be out tomorrow! ...hopefully i can pay attention in class! haha
Old 04-21-2009, 01:42 PM

well....i'm sure this is old news to most of you but i'm still a little surprised....

today between classes i thought i would try to get the axle nut off. well...i had quite a bit of trouble even with a 5 ft cheater bar on the breaker bar!i went through two breaker bars! even a craftsman...

well i was getting frusterated so i just used a 1/2 in racket and a 5 ft cheater bar and it came off no problem....i can't believe the "beefy" breaker bar couldn't break it loose. i guess too much of the force was going into the bar by bending it. i barely put any force on the rachet.....crazy stuff.

i was just reading alot of threads about the axle nut...so to anyone that can't get it off just use a 1/2 inch rachet and cheater pipe and there won't be any issues....

when i get off work at 6 the engine will be coming out!
Old 04-21-2009, 02:04 PM
VQ30 DE T

LOL Yeah umm I broke (craftsman)breaker bars and ratchets on axle nuts last winter
I had to borrow a (snap on) 3ft 1/2 inch breaker bar form a buddys shop... which broke the nuts loose with ease.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:27 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by one_fast_max

when i get off work at 6 the engine will be coming out!

Hey, I've seen that car before! Congrats - you've come a long way since your trip to KCIR. I'm impressed - but I hate you for that huge garage you have there.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by accordingtou
LOL Yeah umm I broke (craftsman)breaker bars and ratchets on axle nuts last winter
I had to borrow a (snap on) 3ft 1/2 inch breaker bar form a buddys shop... which broke the nuts loose with ease.
haha....that axle nut sucks...glad that's over with!

lol! thanks Harold! yes i love the garage its one of the reasons i told some of my college buddies that we have got to rent this place! high garage ceiling just for engine swaps

well i want to come back to KCIR this year! i might have to borrow a pair of your slicks if possible ....the swap should be quite mean!
Old 04-22-2009, 01:43 AM

well tonight i got some more good progress! i had about 8 friends show up at my place! haha....but i got the engine out and completely disassembled tonight. so tomorrow i'll start cleaning everything really nicely then put it back together! here are some pictures from tonight.

you can't see me but i'm the one in the blue nissan shirt.....gotta represent!!

Old 04-22-2009, 05:08 AM

ahh. I remember those days....

Old 04-22-2009, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by MDeezy

lol....not good memories?
Old 04-22-2009, 10:09 AM

ok guys i'm a little confused....i'll post a picture later but anyways...

on the coolant tube from the 3.0 it has all those vacuum lines and sensors and connectors....if i am totally removing EGR how much of that will be trash? i know i need the two coolant ones....but what else?

on youtube i was watching accordingtou's 3.5 stuff and i didn't see much at all on that tube....so does this mean i just leave the sensors unconnected and dangling there?

Old 04-22-2009, 10:27 AM

lol....not good memories?
nah great memories. except when the tranny skeeted gear oil on my face and two friends sat and watched it happen and didnt help...I refuse to let them live that down

Old 04-25-2009, 06:14 PM

damn it that was going to be my idea i wasnt on how to secure it well. Then the idea was lost after i crashed my 97

This is the first time reading though you thread. when you were deciding between a vafc or a EU i was like man he better not get the vafc. That thing is no comparision to the EU. Im sure your glad you went with the EU

Looks like your almost there man keep up the good work and post a start up vid
Old 04-26-2009, 05:58 PM

thanks locknuts!! it seems like the tray was made just for that EU !

well guys its running! i got it started up saturday morning about 730...haha. me and a few buddies stayed up all night to get it going. it would have started on the first try but the AFPR wasn't adjusted enough....so i adjusted it and the TB and it started right up

it sounds amazing!! the equal length y-pipe must be helping it! first gear is a joke now....imediately jumps to red line spinning....some of my friends drove it and think its just as good or better than when i had nitrous....so once i get some good tires and get a chance to tune it i'll get it to the track!

i'm a little dissapointed though....its got a freaking coolant leak somewhere. it appears as if its coming from the inner timing cover...it doesn't leak all the time. i can go drive it around for a while and come home and it doesn't leak. then i can turn it on again and it will start dripping....i know on the other side of the alternater on the inner timing cover there is like a bolt and a ball bearing looking kinda thing....any chance i might be lucky and that be the problem? if not i'm just gunna squeeze that silicon all over the place between the inner and block...oh well....i've got no oil leaks or anything....i thought i cleaned everything and put silicon everywhere perfectly....

one more question....what's the point of a vacuum line on an AFPR? do i need it on there or not?

but i'm very happy with it. here are some pictures from the rest of the swap!

here are some pictures!

Last edited by one_fast_max; 04-26-2009 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:59 PM

Old 04-26-2009, 06:32 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

it sounds amazing!! the equal length y-pipe must be helping it! first gear is a joke now....imediately jumps to red line spinning....some of my friends drove it and think its just as good or better than when i had nitrous....so once i get some good tires and get a chance to tune it i'll get it to the track!

i'm a little dissapointed though....its got a freaking coolant leak somewhere. it appears as if its coming from the inner timing cover...it doesn't leak all the time. i can go drive it around for a while and come home and it doesn't leak. then i can turn it on again and it will start dripping....i know on the other side of the alternater on the inner timing cover there is like a bolt and a ball bearing looking kinda thing....any chance i might be lucky and that be the problem? if not i'm just gunna squeeze that silicon all over the place between the inner and block...oh well....i've got no oil leaks or anything....i thought i cleaned everything and put silicon everywhere perfectly....
Well look at you - a 3.5 under the hood. You know, there is an Import Face- off in Kansas City on Sunday May 3. I'm going to try and make that one - if it isn't rained out... that happens a lot, lately. Global warming, you know.

Could your water leak be the water pump seals leaking sometimes? Where does the water come out? at the bottom of the timing covers? The seals need to be coated with motor oil before installed the pump.

I'm impressed - this conversion always takes ten time the amount of work that you think it's going to - and I've got another one to do in a month or so - I still have some parts I'm waiting for. Close - very close, though.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:13 PM

man i can wait

congrats man cant wait to see some #'s

Thats a bummer about the leak. hopefully its just one of the water pump o-rings so you dont have to pull the whole thing back out.

good to know about the oil and water pump i will have to remeber that
Old 04-26-2009, 08:37 PM
VQ30 DE T

Great progress...
Yeah it sounds like coolant is leaking pass the water pump o-rings...The repair is time consuming yet easy & rewarding. I would replace the pump aswell for a piece of mind.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:47 PM

thanks guys!

well....i put oil on both seals....and its a new water pump too. how can i know for sure if that's where its leaking? wouldn't there be water in the oil then? sometime it leaks and sometimes it doesn't....what would cause that?

i don't know where its coming from...so i will take the alternator and AC compressor off to get a better look at where the leak might be coming from....
Old 04-26-2009, 09:00 PM
VQ30 DE T

There is a weep hole behind the alt & a/c compressor. Try retightening the three waterpump bolts. Dumb ? but what color are the orings?
If they are both black the o-ring with a white dot goes nearest the sprocket. If they are two seperate colors the black goes nearest the sprocket.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:16 PM

dang....i didn't even realized that one ring went in a certain place.....

ok IF the water pump is the problem then where would it be leaking from? shouldn't oil be coming out too? ...i'm nervous....

EDIT: i just went and looked....from what i can tell the leak is coming somewhere from like right behind/above the alternator....is it possible the weep whole could be leaking for some reason? or will i not be that lucky ...haha

i figured if the water pump seal was messed up it would leak into the timing cover and mix with the oil...

Last edited by one_fast_max; 04-26-2009 at 09:23 PM.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:10 PM
VQ30 DE T

Nope the water & oil should not mix..thats like the main reason for the weep hole. The coolant coolant coming from the weep indicates a bad pump, o-rings or improper install. I would just take the pump out & inspect it.
Are the parts oem (stealerships)? I bought a pump & gaskets from rock auto a few years ago & it started leaking a few months later. FYI its not that serious. I have driven for years with coolant leaking out the weep hole (especially on cold nights) I usually wait till im swaping the engine to replace the pump & seals.lol
Old 04-26-2009, 11:39 PM

lol ...ok cool.

well it has to be coming out of that because i know we installed the inner timing cover perfect as the outer....there are no oil leaks or anything....so this sucks...

the only reason that i care so much about this is because i can't take it to the track if its leaking....they won't let me run...obviously....

i guess i would need a puller if i was going to remove the water pump without taking the engine out....wow....how exactly would i change that?? is it possible without taking the engine out?

also....just for a semi/kinda fix... could i not just clean that weep hole out and just fill it with that nissan gray silicon? could i take that little screw out and fill all that mess with silicon? ....i know that sounds dumb...but i don't really have the time to do this over again.... at least till the end of the summer...and if i have to take everything back apart then i want to save up and just put cams in it too
Old 04-27-2009, 03:54 AM

very nice.. Clean install of the emanage
Old 04-27-2009, 04:29 AM
No more Maximas...

lol ...ok cool.

well it has to be coming out of that because i know we installed the inner timing cover perfect as the outer....there are no oil leaks or anything....so this sucks...

the only reason that i care so much about this is because i can't take it to the track if its leaking....they won't let me run...obviously....

i guess i would need a puller if i was going to remove the water pump without taking the engine out....wow....how exactly would i change that?? is it possible without taking the engine out?

also....just for a semi/kinda fix... could i not just clean that weep hole out and just fill it with that nissan gray silicon? could i take that little screw out and fill all that mess with silicon? ....i know that sounds dumb...but i don't really have the time to do this over again.... at least till the end of the summer...and if i have to take everything back apart then i want to save up and just put cams in it too
Yes, it's designed specifically to be done without pulling the engine.

What would you need a puller for?

No, don't fill it up with RTV. That's just asking to cause some other issues. Eventually the passage will fill with coolant, and either blow the RTV out anyway, or pop the outer seal. Then you will have coolant mixed in with the oil.

Here: http://www.vqpower.com/v2/articles.php?article_id=68

VQ35 water pump replacement is almost identical to doing it on a VQ30. Only difference is in the main tensioner.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:06 AM

ohhhh ok. thanks pmohr!

i asked about the puller because i didn't realize that the water pump had threads that you can just screw and bolt in to pull it out...wow...that would be a whole lot easier!

so are we all in agreement that its the water pump and not the inner timing cover leaking?

what would cause brand new seals to leak? they both were black....i got them from DaveB....i just don't see how freakin brand new seals leak....i guess i accidentally cut it when i put the seals on the pump or when i installed it....sucks....oh well....stuff happens. tahnks guys for the input!!
Old 04-27-2009, 12:11 PM
No more Maximas...

ohhhh ok. thanks pmohr!

i asked about the puller because i didn't realize that the water pump had threads that you can just screw and bolt in to pull it out...wow...that would be a whole lot easier!

so are we all in agreement that its the water pump and not the inner timing cover leaking?

what would cause brand new seals to leak? they both were black....i got them from DaveB....i just don't see how freakin brand new seals leak....i guess i accidentally cut it when i put the seals on the pump or when i installed it....sucks....oh well....stuff happens. tahnks guys for the input!!
It's possible the inner seal was damaged during install, or that they were put on backwards. As said above, the one with the white mark goes on the oil side.

If it is indeed leaking from the weep hole area, it's going to be the pump.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:12 PM

ok thanks man!

ok... well ill call the dealership and see if they can get me those seals.... i just dont want it to leak again....
Old 04-27-2009, 01:15 PM
No more Maximas...

ok thanks man!

ok... well ill call the dealership and see if they can get me those seals.... i just dont want it to leak again....
Just order them from Dave B.

Or:
21049-31U04, $4.21 each at Courtesy
21049-31U03, $4.21 each at Courtesy
Old 04-27-2009, 04:33 PM

thanks pmohr!

i'll update later after i fix it and hopefully some track times soon!
Old 05-09-2009, 10:55 PM

well... i did the water pump seals.... it still leaks like there's no tomorrow.... so i guess its the inner timing cover ??

the water pump fix wasnt near as bad as i was expecting... oh well... guess the motor will have to come out again sometime this summer...

any other ideas?

Last edited by one_fast_max; 05-09-2009 at 11:50 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:00 AM
VQ30 DE T

That sucks....Buy or borrow a coolant psi tester before you pull the engine..

Apply 16 psi & check for leaks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VYz5iT8o54
Old 05-10-2009, 05:14 AM
No more Maximas...

well... i did the water pump seals.... it still leaks like there's no tomorrow.... so i guess its the inner timing cover ??

the water pump fix wasnt near as bad as i was expecting... oh well... guess the motor will have to come out again sometime this summer...

any other ideas?
It's possible that the water pump itself is bad, and not the seals.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:56 PM

yeah i just can't believe that its the inner timing cover leaking....just because i don't have any oil leaks anywhere and i was very carefull with the silicon. oh well...that's got to be what it is....

how often are the water pumps bad?
Old 05-12-2009, 03:12 PM

i'm still learning about tuning and stuff....so i had a question...

is it possible to advance the timing too much and actually decrease hp without it knocking? i don't know...but since i've had time to drive the car around i just feel my top end really sucks. at 4000 the car comes alive and then around 6900 to 7300 the car just sucks....

i've done the ssim but it just feels like it won't make any power past 6800ish.....

my AFR is mid 13's across the whole rpm band....

i really just want to give up on the car but at the same time i want to see what it can do. do i just need cams??.....i'm sure a 3'' exhaust would help too....idk....
Old 05-12-2009, 08:26 PM
Turbo 3.5

i'm still learning about tuning and stuff....so i had a question...

is it possible to advance the timing too much and actually decrease hp without it knocking? i don't know...but since i've had time to drive the car around i just feel my top end really sucks. at 4000 the car comes alive and then around 6900 to 7300 the car just sucks....

i've done the ssim but it just feels like it won't make any power past 6800ish.....

my AFR is mid 13's across the whole rpm band....

i really just want to give up on the car but at the same time i want to see what it can do. do i just need cams??.....i'm sure a 3'' exhaust would help too....idk....
either cams or retarded cam timing
Old 08-01-2009, 12:16 AM

Too late to turn back now...fix it the leak, maybe I'll get to whup you on the track.