All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

1st Fully Built 5.5Gen - NA

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by sparks03max
I vote for something fast.

Are you implying that the M3 and AMG are slow?

-Will
Old 01-08-2011, 02:07 PM

We haven't really seen built engine results with FWD intake manifold and headers. Somewhere around low 300s is likely with good headers and a SSIM.
I'm starting to think the headers on a fwd platform would be the only holdback.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:38 PM
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS MEMBER - OWES PEOPLE MONEY

Originally Posted by Knight F Mohawk
Are you implying that the M3 and AMG are slow?

-Will
In a straight line, most certainly. Also very expensive to make faster. At least compared to this maxima that is/was 100% capable of running high 10s/low 11s on a large shot of nitrous. Although some of the AMGs can be pretty fast, they are also very heavy and expensive.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:43 PM
Play with my balls

Originally Posted by japmaxSE
So realistically what kind of power should you expect from this setup 310whp?? 320whp?? Are the 380 inj's still in??
With a good tune I'd realistically would expect anything above that range of 310whp and up. I'm want to be safe here, but driving with it tuned on the UTEC it is already like a pissed off freight train on steroids. It "feels" faster then when I had a 75 shot on the stock car. I'm leaving the brand new Deutschwerks 380cc's in the block for the buyer. So yes it's still in it.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:45 PM
Play with my balls

Hate to see it never reached its full potential. Would have been nice to see results.

I'm going to vote for an M3 or E55 AMG for the replacement

-Will
Someone will make this motor shine. Even if it's not me, someone will take it and put it through it's potential course.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:54 PM
i SeE what you did therE

Old 01-08-2011, 06:57 PM
Go Get a Life!

Originally Posted by Deckdout2
Someone will make this motor shine. Even if it's not me, someone will take it and put it through it's potential course.

Oh darn, well are you selling the car or just the motor?
and whats the asking price?
Old 01-08-2011, 07:07 PM
i SeE what you did therE

did you not see his link to the FS thread??
Old 01-09-2011, 04:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

just a hunch, when he sells the motor there's gonna be a pretty decent partout...
Old 01-09-2011, 06:50 AM

at one point you said you wanted this as your daily driver, what have you been driving around in the meantime?

If not that then I'd like to try my hand at something German. This is the longest I've owned a car, and I've upped my game everytime (10+ past cars). I don't think I'll ever go this far again, but I would fully bolton mod and tune anything new that I get.

You should get this.
what car ...

props to all the time, money, work, patience,
Old 01-09-2011, 08:16 AM
Go Get a Life!

Goes to show NA builds can be very expensive and in most cases such as this the owner/builder will end up giving up. In result selling everything or most of it to lower debt owed or simply lack of funds to continue.

Gotta commit when doing something like this but hey things happen.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Goes to show NA builds can be very expensive and in most cases such as this the owner/builder will end up giving up. In result selling everything or most of it to lower debt owed or simply lack of funds to continue.

Ouch.....Beautiful car and congrats on helping push the development of this engine/platform...
Old 01-09-2011, 02:53 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

Originally Posted by vastmax
just a hunch, when he sells the motor there's gonna be a pretty decent partout...
yep to ME !! hahaah well quite a few things i hope
Old 01-09-2011, 02:55 PM
i SeE what you did therE

he is not parting it out atm
Old 01-09-2011, 02:55 PM

In a straight line, most certainly. Also very expensive to make faster. At least compared to this maxima that is/was 100% capable of running high 10s/low 11s on a large shot of nitrous. Although some of the AMGs can be pretty fast, they are also very heavy and expensive.

I based my response off of the type of racing he seemed interested in. Earlier in the thread he mentioned wanting the car to be able to do more than go fast in a straight line.

-Will
Old 01-09-2011, 03:36 PM

I based my response off of the type of racing he seemed interested in. Earlier in the thread he mentioned wanting the car to be able to do more than go fast in a straight line.

-Will
a C5+ vette or a V2 CTS-V would eat pretty much any AMG or M3 alive on any kind of track as well as being capable of going very fast in a straight line on a much lower budget. Not that M3s and AMG cars are necessarily slow, but they will be slower in a straight line than his maxima was capable of on a reasonable budget as well as being generally porky and not quite awe inspiring on a "real" track. Of course, they are also status symbols and are constructed with more comfort in mind.

All that said, this argument is pointless because I'm sure his mind is already made up. He hinted at a German car so you probably have the right idea for what he's aiming for.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:24 AM
Go Get a Life!

Originally Posted by niceguy
Ouch.....Beautiful car and congrats on helping push the development of this engine/platform...

I beg to differ his build was based on proven off the shelf parts already. The only thing one may have learned here is the issues with UTEC. Other than that there's really nothing much to see here. IMO I think he finally realized like WTF over $10,000 why??? to get barely over 300whp NA on a FWD car. YEa it's different yippie. Ok now time to sell and get a real sports car. I'm sure he'll explain his exact reasons or not, it's up to him.

The doubt of him finishing for me was there all along.

Life is taking so long honestly. Sorry for the delay. After this motor has been put together, finding time to road tune it with Matt has been difficult to get our schedules straight. Signed a contract on a new house and going through the trials and tribulations of that ordeal, so that's where most of my free time is spent. I did however dropped her off with my SR20DEN yesterday, and advised him to keep it until he's done dialing her in. Hoping for some stout results when I get her back, and hope for it to be within a couple weeks. I haven't forgotten about it and this thread, just working around the very scarce time I have at the moment. Numbers will be up as soon as she returns for sure, headed straight to the dyno.
Let's put it this way, I could have had a fully installed RMT (Rear Mount Turbo) on the stock block and no internals for about 7k. I've surpassed that with this build.

If you got out the **** money then go for it I mean all the way. I think everyone should realize here is that VQ's are pretty much maxed out geometry wise. At the end of the day it all comes down to how much you really want it. Because trying to squeeze out anything over 280whp with a FWD VQ35 maxima takes a whole lot of money and your commitment better be there or else, you already know.....You'll end up selling it all for a RWD German sports car.

Nice try tho, family first congrats on the new home Deckdout2.

Last edited by japmaxSE; 01-10-2011 at 08:46 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:40 AM

I beg to differ his build was based on proven off the shelf parts already. The only thing one may have learned here is the issues with UTEC. Other than that there's really nothing much to see here. IMO I think he finally realized like WTF over $13,000 why??? to get barely over 300whp NA on a FWD car. YEa it's different yippie. Ok now time to sell and get a real sports car. I'm sure he'll explain his exact reasons or not, it's up to him.
Very true that this has all been done before many times over with the RWD platform. Now i'm not sure what their issues with the UTEC actually were, but quite a few of us are successfully using them, so I don't think he really "discovered" any issues.

If you got out the **** money then go for it I mean all the way. I think everyone should realize here is that VQ's are pretty much maxed out geometry wise. At the end of the day it all comes down to how much you really want it. Because trying to squeeze out anything over 280whp with a FWD VQ35 maxima takes a whole lot of money and your commitment better be there or else, you already know.....You'll end up selling it all for a RWD German sports car.
I believe JayPee has already proven that you can make 300whp on a budget out of these engines. Hopefully others will be doing the same thing soon. A full set of the right boltons + tuning + cams and supporting mods (rod bolts, valvesprings) seems to be a good recipe for a 300whp VQ35DE while being much cheaper than a build, especially if you get parts used and do your own work. Doing a full build really doesn't gain you much for power unless you're going up in stroke/bore, compression makes for relatively small gains. You won't catch me dead in a german sports car

Last edited by sparks03max; 01-10-2011 at 08:43 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:47 AM

I had a patch harness made so that my ish could be PnP too. (Jefffaafaa)
Any more details about this patch harness?

Last edited by Shift_Max; 01-10-2011 at 08:59 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:52 AM
Go Get a Life!

Very true that this has all been done before many times over with the RWD platform. Now i'm not sure what their issues with the UTEC actually were, but quite a few of us are successfully using them, so I don't think he really "discovered" any issues.

I believe JayPee has already proven that you can make 300whp on a budget out of these engines. Hopefully others will be doing the same thing soon. A full set of the right boltons + tuning + cams and supporting mods (rod bolts, valvesprings) seems to be a good recipe for a 300whp VQ35DE while being much cheaper than a build, especially if you get parts used and do your own work. Doing a full build really doesn't gain you much for power unless you're going up in stroke/bore, compression makes for relatively small gains. You won't catch me dead in a german sports car

Well there you go Jaypee has already done it but I'm sure it's still up there cost wise for most people. Yea if you can do the work yourself it's a huge plus, especially on NA builds.

Puhlease you know if you had the money you would be all up in a 2010 M3.

Last edited by japmaxSE; 01-10-2011 at 08:56 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:57 AM

Well there you go Jaypee has already done it on a moderate budget that's good to hear. Yea if you can do the work yourself is a huge plus specifically on NA builds.

Puhlease you know if you had the money you would be all up in a 2010 M3.
For the cost of a 2010 M3, I would get a used C6 Z06 + a few well chosen boltons, hptuners, clutch, and slicks + skinnies. That's a mid 10 second car at the drag strip if driven well, plus a beast on the back roads or any other track

Last edited by sparks03max; 01-10-2011 at 09:13 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:10 AM

C6Z06...
Old 01-10-2011, 09:10 AM
Go Get a Life!

For the cost of a 2010 M3, I would get a used C6 Z06 + a few well chosen boltons, hptuners, clutch, and slicks + skinnies. That's a mid/low 10 second car at the drag strip if driven well, plus a beast on the back roads or any other track

But if you get a vette you gotta grow a mullet. lol

I know what you mean tho I drove a 10 sec Vette I was sold right on the spot. I didn't buy the car but did get an LS1 and now full est. 550hp built LS2 motor but don't know what to throw it in yet,I sold my S14 shell which was going to be the transplant victim. When you get engaged everything changes money wise.

Last edited by japmaxSE; 01-10-2011 at 09:14 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by MoncefA33
C6Z06...
With just boltons, clutch, and sticky tires....

Old 01-10-2011, 09:13 AM

With just boltons, clutch, and sticky tires....

Dare you to buy it.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:16 AM

But if you get a vette you gotta grow a mullet. lol

I know what you mean tho I drove a 10 sec Vette I was sold right on the spot. I didn't buy the car but did get an LS1 and now full est. 550hp built LS2 motor but don't know what to throw it in yet,I sold my S14 shell which was going to be the transplant victim. When you get engaged everything changes money wise I hope I win the Lotto.
My project over the next few years is def going to be a LS-x swapped import. Probably a 1995 S14 to avoid OBD-2 emissions testing while still avoiding popup headlights A FD RX-7 would be cool too. Or for super lightweight, a FB RX-7... 2200lbs to start ftw.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:17 AM
Go Get a Life!

Ahh man that's what I'm talkn bout!
Old 01-10-2011, 09:26 AM

Ahh man that's what I'm talkn bout!
And that's why the maxima is staying a fun NA daily driver Still looking for some 12 second passes, though.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:43 AM
Play with my balls

I have zero debt owed nor do I have the lack of funds to continue. I would however like to move on to something else. Is that not good enough reason? I didn't think I had to give a reason at all to begin with.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:48 AM
Go Get a Life!

I have zero debt owed nor do I have the lack of funds to continue. I would however like to move on to something else. Is that not good enough reason? I didn't think I had to give a reason at all to begin with.

Oh ok that's cool. So you paid for your new house cash? No School loans credit cards or anything? If so that's awesome lucky you.

Was trying to say in most cases not specifically yours but more of an example. I mean you did talk about how you were not to happy about spending $7k and more...... just saying

Last edited by japmaxSE; 01-10-2011 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:58 AM
Play with my balls

I beg to differ his build was based on proven off the shelf parts already. The only thing one may have learned here is the issues with UTEC. Other than that there's really nothing much to see here. IMO I think he finally realized like WTF over $10,000 why??? to get barely over 300whp NA on a FWD car. YEa it's different yippie. Ok now time to sell and get a real sports car. I'm sure he'll explain his exact reasons or not, it's up to him.

The doubt of him finishing for me was there all along.

Nice try tho, family first congrats on the new home Deckdout2.
Does it really matter, why? Any of it, anything you've mentioned above, other then the fact that it gives you the opportunity to sit back and try to decipher what's going through my mind, and nitpick the actions that I decide to make? Who cares? It's my money, I don't consider it a waste from the knowledge I've gathered out of this build, and it wasn't certainly to impress anyone else other then myself. When you can put up your own time, your own money, and your own reasons to do a build to this extent, then you can judge for yourself. So sorry, trying to be the voice of reason in my thread about the decisions I do and do not make is not going to matter to me, or change the recourse of my actions, nor do I really care. Not at my age, and my goals in life.

Everyone is so quick to judge and be very "internet" opinionated when it comes to stuff like this. Just appreciate someone else's work that they've put the time into and just let it be what it is.

I don't dislike you for your comments, and you are entitle to them for sure. But, if you're looking for justification of actions, I'm not sure you'll find it here.

Love the new house btw, thanks.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:00 AM
Play with my balls

Oh ok that's cool. So you paid for your new house cash? No School loans credit cards or anything? If so that's awesome lucky you.

Was trying to say in most cases not specifically yours but more of an example. I mean you did talk about how you were not to happy about spending $7k and more...... just saying
Who cares??? Are you trying to budget my life for me? Btw, that's car specific only. Since that's what we're speaking of here. I didn't go into debt for this build.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:03 AM
Play with my balls

Originally Posted by Shift_Max
Any more details about this patch harness?
Yes, it's just a patch with plug and play ends. This will be for sale too when the partout comes.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:09 AM
Go Get a Life!

Does it really matter, why? Any of it, anything you've mentioned above, other then the fact that it gives you the opportunity to sit back and try to decipher what's going through my mind, and nitpick the actions that I decide to make? Who cares? It's my money, I don't consider it a waste from the knowledge I've gathered out of this build, and it wasn't certainly to impress anyone else other then myself. When you can put up your own time, your own money, and your own reasons to do a build to this extent, then you can judge for yourself. So sorry, trying to be the voice of reason in my thread about the decisions I do and do not make is not going to matter to me, or change the recourse of my actions, nor do I really care. Not at my age, and my goals in life.

Everyone is so quick to judge and be very "internet" opinionated when it comes to stuff like this. Just appreciate someone else's work that they've put the time into and just let it be what it is.

I don't dislike you for your comments, and you are entitle to them for sure. But, if you're looking for justification of actions, I'm not sure you'll find it here.

Love the new house btw, thanks.

That's all cool but this is a public forum there maybe things you disagree with but that's all cool. So I gave my opinion in a polite manner that's all. Sorry you seem upset.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:11 AM
Play with my balls

That's all cool but this is a public forum there maybe things you disagree with but that's all cool. So I gave my opinion in a polite manner that's all. Sorry you seem upset.
Jesus son, it's ok. Let it go.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:12 AM
Go Get a Life!

Who cares??? Are you trying to budget my life for me? Btw, that's car specific only. Since that's what we're speaking of here. I didn't go into debt for this build.
I'm in no way trying to do anything for you.

My original statement was geared towards general debt.

Last edited by japmaxSE; 01-10-2011 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:17 AM

Just wanted to add that the 10,000 dollar build was not JUST for 300whp NA. It was built enough to take a 200 shot or bigger without trouble. I hope whoever does buy this engine uses it to its full potential, not just NA.

If you don't understand what would make him upset about your assumptions and prying then you're a bit less intelligent than you try to convey.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:18 AM

ing in class now.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:20 AM
Go Get a Life!

Just wanted to add that the 10,000 dollar build was not JUST for 300whp NA. It was built enough to take a 200 shot or bigger without trouble. I hope whoever does buy this engine uses it to its full potential, not just NA.

If you don't understand what would make him upset about your assumptions and prying then you're a bit less intelligent than you try to convey.
Wasn't trying to step on anyone's toes. We're not little boys here not everything said is gonna go your way in a public forum.

Last edited by japmaxSE; 01-10-2011 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:31 AM

IMO I think he finally realized like WTF over $10,000 why??? to get barely over 300whp NA on a FWD car. YEa it's different yippie. Ok now time to sell and get a real sports car.
Sorry you guys feel that way. Wasn't trying to step on anyone's toes. We're not little boys here not everything said here is gonna go your way in a public forum..
Ok. Look at these statements and tell me if you would take offense to some random guy coming into your build thread and making the above assumptions, then prying about your financial situation with a smartass comeback, and tying things up by implying that you are acting childish.

Quick Reply: 1st Fully Built 5.5Gen - NA