Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   All Motor (https://maxima.org/forums/all-motor-61/)
-   -   Emanage ultimate DIY harness (https://maxima.org/forums/all-motor/616263-emanage-ultimate-diy-harness.html)

ajm8127 06-28-2010 11:20 AM

Emanage ultimate DIY harness

Does anyone know the manufacturer's part number for the 12, 14 and 18 pin connectors on the Greddy EU main harness. 120 USD seems like robbery for that harness and if I could get my hands on the connectors, I could make harnesses for half that. Even some close pictures would help. I'm sure the manufacturer stamped their name on it somewhere. If I could get the dimensions and a manufacturer, I'm sure I could track down those connectors.

ajm8127 06-29-2010 12:22 PM

Is there no one out there that can look at the connector(s) that plug into their emanage blue or emanage ultimate and report any marking they see on the connector body? Pictures with a ruler for scale would be ideal. Center to center distances between the contacts would be amazing.

doublea 07-06-2010 05:10 PM

Ok let me take a look at the harness I'll get back to you in 30 min.

doublea 07-06-2010 05:32 PM

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89...nnector006.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89...nnector005.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89...nnector004.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89...nnector003.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89...nnector002.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89...nnector001.jpg

ajm8127 07-07-2010 07:16 AM

doublea,

Thanks for the reply. I can't really make out from your pictures if there are any markings on the connectors that would indicate a manufacturer. Do you see anything like that? It would be just a couple letters like Tyco, Amp, JST, etc. There are thousands of connectors out there, and if we could narrow it down to a specific manufacturer, that would help immensely.

Also, dimensions that are critical are ones like pitch (center spacing) of the pins in the same row and the row to row spacing. Measurements need to be taking with a relatively high amount of precision, so calipers would be the preferred tool.

doublea 07-07-2010 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by ajm8127 (Post 7630889)
doublea,

Thanks for the reply. I can't really make out from your pictures if there are any markings on the connectors that would indicate a manufacturer. Do you see anything like that? It would be just a couple letters like Tyco, Amp, JST, etc. There are thousands of connectors out there, and if we could narrow it down to a specific manufacturer, that would help immensely.

Also, dimensions that are critical are ones like pitch (center spacing) of the pins in the same row and the row to row spacing. Measurements need to be taking with a relatively high amount of precision, so calipers would be the preferred tool.

Ok I see, I will take a look at this tonight. I have a vernier caliper so I can make better pics with my digicam instead of my i-Phone.

doublea 07-08-2010 07:24 AM

Sorry I didn't had a chance to take a look at this yesterday, a bunch of friends showed up to take a dive in the pool and help fight the 39 degree temps we got lately, so I will take a look at this tonight.

ajm8127 07-08-2010 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by doublea (Post 7632640)
Sorry I didn't had a chance to take a look at this yesterday, a bunch of friends showed up to take a dive in the pool and help fight the 39 degree temps we got lately, so I will take a look at this tonight.

39 is a little cold for swimming, don't you think :D

No worries though. Let me know when you can.

doublea 07-08-2010 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by ajm8127 (Post 7632778)
39 is a little cold for swimming, don't you think :D

No worries though. Let me know when you can.

I forgot to mentioned it is 39 Celsius not Fahrenheit, otherwise this would be freaking cold. Lol

doublea 07-08-2010 07:28 PM

I have measured the 3 connectors width with a vernier caliper so here you go.
18 pin = 42.50 mm
14 pin = 35.60 mm
12 pin = 31.90 mm

As for the connector there is nothing stamp or mark on them so I couldn't say who made them. Pics are not that great my camera suck with close-up shot.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89.../engine081.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89.../engine080.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89.../engine079.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89.../engine078.jpg

ajm8127 07-09-2010 05:50 AM

hmmmm....sucks there is nothing molded into the plastic. Maybe once I receive my EU I'll see something on the connectors on the EU board when I go in there to solder those resistors in.

maxprivate 07-12-2010 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by ajm8127 (Post 7634671)
hmmmm....sucks there is nothing molded into the plastic. Maybe once I receive my EU I'll see something on the connectors on the EU board when I go in there to solder those resistors in.

I am new to the Emanage and how they work. Im looking to turbo soon and I know I will need some type of Emanage to prevent boost creep. why do you need resistors soldered in to the harness? Which emanage is better and user friendly? Is tuning with these devices easy DIY's? Thanks.

doublea 07-12-2010 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by ajm8127 (Post 7634671)

Can you explain a little more why you need to solder resistor on the EU ?

I'm not an expert by any mean and new to this. I just know that I will have to install it in my DEK engine soon so the more info I can get the more I'll know once I'm ready to do the install.

I have the EU, EU main harness but also a custom made cable that allow me to remove the EU main unit quickly.

Kevlo911 07-12-2010 07:00 PM

It's all in dandy's EU pdf.

Early EU's need resistors to prevent a cel cuz the ecu wouldnt detect the coils or something to that matter.

maxprivate 07-12-2010 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Kevlo911 (Post 7640440)
It's all in dandy's EU pdf.

Early EU's need resistors to prevent a cel cuz the ecu wouldnt detect the coils or something to that matter.

That link is here on the ORG?

Kev, what Emanage and boost did you go with? Where did you mount the LCD. I like the HKS elec boost control because its small as compared to the Greddy Profec Eo1.

Kevlo911 07-12-2010 07:18 PM

http://www.vqpower.com/v2/articles.php?article_id=25

I have the EU with a manual boost controller. I have an electronic solenoid to use with the EU to make it a boost controller, but I have been too lazy to install it all.

maxprivate 07-12-2010 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Kevlo911 (Post 7640459)
http://www.vqpower.com/v2/articles.php?article_id=25

I have the EU with a manual boost controller. I have an electronic solenoid to use with the EU to make it a boost controller, but I have been too lazy to install it all.

Thats awesome, thats for the link. What are the advantages Ultimate has over Blue and it something that is needed? Thanks.

Take your time a do a little at a time. Thats what I do when Im doing things with my car. I'll plan to spend a couple hours on the car and thats it. That way you can at least enjoy some of your day relaxing or doing other things.

Kevlo911 07-12-2010 07:55 PM

I would get the ultimate, it is way better than the blue IMO.

For me, it is mainly laziness.

As for this thread, my connectors are white IIRC, I will see if they have markings

ajm8127 07-20-2010 03:34 PM

I just got my EU in the mail this afternoon, so I opened it up, and those two large connectors for the injectors, coils, etc. are made by AMP/Tyco.

12 pin
14 pin
18 pin
Contacts

Right under the picture there is a link that says "View 3D PDF" If someone could confirm that these are the right connectors, that would be awesome.

Now I just have to find a supplier...

Kevlo911 07-20-2010 03:44 PM

They look the same.

http://www.qcomponents.com/search-re...&part=176116-6
http://www.qcomponents.com/SEO/Products928.html

One is only a dollar there

http://www.wholesaleelectronicparts....umber=176116-6

Digikey also sells um but you might wanna call them so you dont have to buy 1000 :noes:

ajm8127 07-20-2010 03:51 PM

I also found that Master Distributors has them all. I've never heard of those other places you found Kevlo. Did you just search google or something?

Digikey, Mouser, and Newark didn't have them in stock.

Now if I could just find the ones in the front (option 1 and 2). They are JAE parts, but I looked through their online catalog and had no luck.

EDIT - For wholesaleelectronicsparts.net you have to buy at least 150 bucks worth of parts. Thats why they are only a dollar.

And yes, Master has the contacts too! All added up with 50 contacts it comes to just under 16 dollars.

maxprivate 07-20-2010 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by ajm8127 (Post 7652766)
I also found that Master Distributors has them all. I've never heard of those other places you found Kevlo. Did you just search google or something?

Now if I could just find the ones in the front (option 1 and 2). They are JAE parts, but I looked through their online catalog and had no luck.

EDIT - For wholesaleelectronicsparts.net you have to buy at least 150 bucks worth of parts. Thats why they are only a dollar.

And yes, Master has the contacts too! All added up with 50 contacts it comes to just under 16 dollars.

So your trying to make up your own harness?

ajm8127 07-21-2010 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by maxprivate (Post 7653320)
So your trying to make up your own harness?

Yes, because 100+ dollars is nuts. I might be interested in making them for other people as well. I have to make one first, and then throw together a bill of materials to see what I would have to charge to make it worth my time. I can almost guarantee it will be less that 100 shipped. Or if you want to make your own from the information I've provided, That's great too.

I'm not sure if you guys know this but places like Best Buy make a fortune on cables. I've walked in there and seen HDMI cables for 70+ dollars. That's robbery! But because the EU cable is proprietary, you can't just go on amazon and find the knockoff version that is just as good for like 1/10 the amount of money.

Kevlo911 07-21-2010 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by ajm8127 (Post 7652766)

I just googled the part numbers

doublea 07-21-2010 09:49 AM

I paid 125$ for my custom cable, to me that was a fair price, it take Kyle like 12 hours to fabricate the cable, if you divide 125$ by 12 that's not an exorbitant revenue, one would have to make a tons of cable to make a living. I could have spend many many hours doing the cable myself but it didn't worth my time and foremost I know the cable is working. Just my 2 cents.

maxboy325 07-21-2010 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by doublea (Post 7654105)
I paid 125$ for my custom cable, to me that was a fair price, it take Kyle like 12 hours to fabricate the cable, if you divide 125$ by 12 that's not an exorbitant revenue, one would have to make a tons of cable to make a living. I could have spend many many hours doing the cable myself but it didn't worth my time and foremost I know the cable is working. Just my 2 cents.

Kyle was supposed to make my harness but I was sent the wrong pigtail from a buyer, that held me up and then Kyle went MIA. I hope all is well and I can still get a harness from him sometime in the near future.

ajm8127 07-21-2010 05:59 PM

Double A,

Is that for a plug and play harness? Does that include the EU harness or is that just for the time to connect the EU harness to the plug and play harness?

I'm sure Kyle does great work as many have bought harnesses from him. I am not trying to undersell him in anyway. All I would potentially provide would be the EU main harness with the three connectors to bare leads. Just like GReddy part # 15901500. This whole endeavor was spawned from my unwillingness to pay 120 dollars for three connectors and 44 wires. Part of my job is making cable harnesses so I couldn't justify that much money.

doublea 07-21-2010 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by ajm8127 (Post 7654877)
Double A,

Is that for a plug and play harness? Does that include the EU harness or is that just for the time to connect the EU harness to the plug and play harness?

I'm sure Kyle does great work as many have bought harnesses from him. I am not trying to undersell him in anyway. All I would potentially provide would be the EU main harness with the three connectors to bare leads. Just like GReddy part # 15901500. This whole endeavor was spawned from my unwillingness to pay 120 dollars for three connectors and 44 wires. Part of my job is making cable harnesses so I couldn't justify that much money.

Hey ajm8127, I see you point. When I heard about the plug N play cable that Kyle is making I jumped on this cuz being a computer guy, I know over time things will go wrong and at 49 I dont see myself fubling around trying to unplug a harness my head under the dash board, the 125$ cable solve this for me and to me the few hours require to build the cable cut my prime time with the kids and wife.

Making the main harness cable is a good idea cuz no one make it beside Greddy.

AA

maxprivate 07-21-2010 08:36 PM

Double A,

I hear you, It is time consuming to make your own harness. If there is a good how to on this I would probably make my own. I made my own harness for my HID lighting, I wired in the 2001 cluster for my 97 so why not this. On the other hand, I understand why many will just pay the 100 plus bucks for it, save a lot of time and headaches.

HomerMAC 07-26-2010 06:55 PM

... gEEZ.. Thanks guys.. eveyrthign is always a month or two late for me.. I acutally got the universal EU harness for 75$ shipped. it came with the 3 connectors and those quick connectors at the other end. I also have a custom ecu patch harness to integrate into it off a member on here who happend to have a 96 maxima & i have a 96 i30.

I dont think the harness I have is an original TRUST product. BUT the colors / plugs/ cables look the same. and they plug into the EU fine. NOW to determin if i need the resistors for fried coils.

OH if anyone needs the EU upgrade harness from EB I have one for sale.

ajm8127 07-28-2010 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by ajm8127 (Post 7652745)

I got the connectors and contacts in the mail today and I am glad to say that they snapped right into the Emanage Ultimate with a satisfying "CLICK." I just put the order in for the wire and the shrink wrap sleeving I will be using to bundle the cable together.

The cables will be four foot long and will have an individual shrink wrap labels at the end of every wire. These labels will correspond to the letter and pin of the EU connector (as in the Greddy installation manual). Also, each wire will have a number in parenthesis corresponding to which wire it is out of 44 (as is used in DandyMax's writeup). For example, B-12 (24) will be pin 12 on connector B, or ECU Ground, and C-4 (34) will be pin 4 on connector C, or injector 1 ouput signal. The cable will be comprised of black 18 awg gauge wire (a size larger than the Nissan ECU signal wires, and more than large enough to power the EU). It will be only one color because it would cost a small fortune to order four feet of 44 different color combinations (we're supposed to be saving money here). Also, bullet connectors will NOT be supplied. Soldering creates a more reliable connection and is recommened for this type of installation. I will include pictorial instructions of how to reliably tap and intersect a wire using solder and a soldering iron. If you insist on using the solderless connectors, you can pick them up locally at auto parts or electronics stores, or find them online. I will include a four foot section of shrink wrap tubing which can be used to bundle the wires into a single cable. Optional shrinking of the tubing can be achived with a heat gun or other heat source (I am not responsible for fires that you may set). If you don't wish to do this, leave it unshrunk, it will only be slightly looser, and still offer protection to the wires inside.

These harness will be assembled by a professional electronics technician/engineering student and are GUARANTEED FOR LIFE. This warranty is not unconditional. If you short something out and catch the harness on fire that is not my fault. However, if a problem arises that can be attributed to workmanship or the quality of the materials used as deemed by me (don't worry I'm reasonable), then I will correct the problem free of charge provided that you pay to ship it back to me. This warranty is non-transferable.

The cost will be 65 USD including shipping. You can pay me through paypal. PM me for details. I will post pictures as soon as the first cable is built.

Happy Tuning,

Tony

maxprivate 07-28-2010 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by ajm8127 (Post 7665578)
I got the connectors and contacts in the mail today and I am glad to say that they snapped right into the Emanage Ultimate with a satisfying "CLICK." I just put the order in for the wire and the shrink wrap sleeving I will be using to bundle the cable together.

The cables will be four foot long and will have an individual shrink wrap labels at the end of every wire. These labels will correspond to the letter and pin of the EU connector (as in the Greddy installation manual). Also, each wire will have a number in parenthesis corresponding to which wire it is out of 44 (as is used in DandyMax's writeup). For example, B-12 (24) will be pin 12 on connector B, or ECU Ground, and C-4 (34) will be pin 4 on connector C, or injector 1 ouput signal. The cable will be comprised of black 18 awg gauge wire (a size larger than the Nissan ECU signal wires, and more than large enough to power the EU). It will be only one color because it would cost a small fortune to order four feet of 44 different color combinations (we're supposed to be saving money here). Also, bullet connectors will NOT be supplied. Soldering creates a more reliable connection and is recommened for this type of installation. I will include pictorial instructions of how to reliably tap and intersect a wire using solder and a soldering iron. If you insist on using the solderless connectors, you can pick them up locally at auto parts or electronics stores, or find them online. I will include a four foot section of shrink wrap tubing which can be used to bundle the wires into a single cable. Optional shrinking of the tubing can be achived with a heat gun or other heat source (I am not responsible for fires that you may set). If you don't wish to do this, leave it unshrunk, it will only be slightly looser, and still offer protection to the wires inside.

These harness will be assembled by a professional electronics technician/engineering student and are GUARANTEED FOR LIFE. This warranty is not unconditional. If you short something out and catch the harness on fire that is not my fault. However, if a problem arises that can be attributed to workmanship or the quality of the materials used as deemed by me (don't worry I'm reasonable), then I will correct the problem free of charge provided that you pay to ship it back to me. This warranty is non-transferable.

The cost will be 65 USD including shipping. You can pay me through paypal. PM me for details. I will post pictures as soon as the first cable is built.

Happy Tuning,

Tony

So basically you are recreating what Mopho did with the plug and play Emanage Ultimate harness? Are you soldering in the resistors needed so we don't get a Check engine light? If so I'd be interested in purchasing the harness from you. Keep us updated with pics and how this harness will mate with the ECU so its all plug and play.

Thanks,
Lenny

ajm8127 07-28-2010 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by maxprivate (Post 7665711)
So basically you are recreating what Mopho did with the plug and play Emanage Ultimate harness? Are you soldering in the resistors needed so we don't get a Check engine light? If so I'd be interested in purchasing the harness from you. Keep us updated with pics and how this harness will mate with the ECU so its all plug and play.

Thanks,
Lenny

From post #27:

All I would potentially provide would be the EU main harness with the three connectors to bare leads. Just like GReddy part # 15901500.

I have no plans on creating a plug and play style harness because I can't find a source for the ECU connectors. I have the part numbers from Tyco/Amp but no one carries the parts because they are a little outdated, though they are still marked as "active" on the manufacturer's website. If I find a supplier, this could change.

As for the resistors, I planned on putting them inside of my EU to protect them, but they could probably be integrated into the harness instead for someone who didn't want to solder anything to the inside of their Emanage Ultimate. I'm imagining a module that would connect near the EU connectors and solder to the wires the same way a "tap" connection would splice into the ECU harness.

kajeno 07-29-2010 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by ajm8127 (Post 7666034)

I have no plans on creating a plug and play style harness because I can't find a source for the ECU connectors. I have the part numbers from Tyco/Amp but no one carries the parts because they are a little outdated, though they are still marked as "active" on the manufacturer's website. If I find a supplier, this could change.

What are part numbers for the ECU connectors?

ajm8127 07-29-2010 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by kajeno (Post 7666688)
What are part numbers for the ECU connectors?

178079-1
178081-6
175265-1
175268-1

EDIT - Some of the receptacles are gold plated

175266-2
175275-2

maxprivate 07-29-2010 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by ajm8127 (Post 7666034)
From post #27:

As for the resistors, I planned on putting them inside of my EU to protect them, but they could probably be integrated into the harness instead for someone who didn't want to solder anything to the inside of their Emanage Ultimate. I'm imagining a module that would connect near the EU connectors and solder to the wires the same way a "tap" connection would splice into the ECU harness.

Mopho needed the ECU connectors to produce the harness? Im guessing this was the reason he was requesting people to send a spare ECU even if it was non working one.

The Wizard 08-09-2010 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by maxprivate (Post 7666906)
Mopho needed the ECU connectors to produce the harness? Im guessing this was the reason he was requesting people to send a spare ECU even if it was non working one.

That is exactly the reason why.

PM coming your way ajm8127...

maxprivate 08-09-2010 10:14 PM

Im working on getting a spare ECU and I'll try and make my own. Wiz are you trying the same?

The Wizard 08-09-2010 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by maxprivate (Post 7683673)
Im working on getting a spare ECU and I'll try and make my own. Wiz are you trying the same?

Nah. It's not EU related.

I would like some help with some other crazy electrical projects. :naughty:

Looking back, I installed the EU a long time ago with the supplied Greddy harness and never want to do that again.

maxprivate 08-09-2010 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard (Post 7683689)
Nah. It's not EU related.

I would like some help with some other crazy electrical projects. :naughty:

Looking back, I installed the EU a long time ago with the supplied Greddy harness and never want to do that again.

I bet it was a real pain in the arse. I had a tough time wiring in my 2001 AE cluster. Now that I think of it, if I can buy a harness to work with EMU all plug and play I will. This will save me a ton of time and a huge head ache.