All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

Rebuilt 00 5spd vs. used 01 vlsd

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 04:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Rebuilt 00 5spd vs. used 01 vlsd

My transmission failed at around 210k. 00 open diff.

The rebuild shop appears to be decent. Nissan shop that has done many transmissions in Tampa. 1000-1200.

The other best option is a vlsd from an 01 w/ 110k miles. Will net me about 800 plus new drivers axle.

I've read the issues with both. bad rebuild v. abused older trans.

Any thoughts on what I should choose? I think I'm leaning toward the rebuild since the vlsd is likely dead anyway. But it is cheaper than any other open diff trans I've seen.

thanks.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:50 PM

1200 for rebuild including labor and warranty? that sounds like a good deal. As long as the shop is reputable and stands behind their work, I would rebuild it. Make sure all wear items get replaced, not just the broken ones.

whats the warranty on the vlsd?
Old 04-16-2013, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by nsnrider
1200 for rebuild including labor and warranty? that sounds like a good deal. As long as the shop is reputable and stands behind their work, I would rebuild it. Make sure all wear items get replaced, not just the broken ones.

whats the warranty on the vlsd?
What would be all the wear items? Is that what would be included in a kit such as bearings and synchros or would there be other things.

I would like to be able to ask the correct questions ... lol.

Thanks.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:32 PM
I like Maximas

I would still go for the VLSD.

rebuilt a VLSD I got with bad input shaft bearings ~150K and still pulled great with the 3.5L swap (inspected it first, no problems with gears or synchros, but replaced guides on 2nd and 3rd synchro.)

Name:  vlsdbushings.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  32.9 KB

Name:  vlsdfinished.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  31.3 KB

otherwise your only other "LSD" option for the open diff 2K tranny is a PHANTOM GRIP
Name:  pgripinstalled.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  32.6 KB

^^it works, not as great as VLSD or HLSD but better than a ****ty open diff for sure. and it spins both tires during burnout, so all good there

What to ask the place to do?
Input shaft, main shaft, and differential bearings, shim bearings properly is a MUST
Input shaft seal, yoke/shifter seal, axle seals.
would be nice to replace 2nd and 3rd and 4th gear synchros but involves MORE work and careful work with a press and shim gauge that some shops just DO NOT or are not capable of doing
Old 05-01-2013, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by vipervadim
I would still go for the VLSD.

rebuilt a VLSD I got with bad input shaft bearings ~150K and still pulled great with the 3.5L swap (inspected it first, no problems with gears or synchros, but replaced guides on 2nd and 3rd synchro.)

otherwise your only other "LSD" option for the open diff 2K tranny is a PHANTOM GRIP

^^it works, not as great as VLSD or HLSD but better than a ****ty open diff for sure. and it spins both tires during burnout, so all good there

What to ask the place to do?
Input shaft, main shaft, and differential bearings, shim bearings properly is a MUST
Input shaft seal, yoke/shifter seal, axle seals.
would be nice to replace 2nd and 3rd and 4th gear synchros but involves MORE work and careful work with a press and shim gauge that some shops just DO NOT or are not capable of doing
Love the VSLD.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:48 AM

a VLSD with 110k that has never been rebuilt probably has the clutches completely worn out anyway and would be just like an open diff. Unless it was babied its whole life
Old 05-01-2013, 09:33 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by Gemner
a VLSD with 110k that has never been rebuilt probably has the clutches completely worn out anyway and would be just like an open diff. Unless it was babied its whole life
FYI - "VLSD" stands for Viscous Limited Slip Differential" - the VLSD unit is full of a very heavy liquid, and no clutches anywhere in sight. They don't really wear out, but can be broken inside. Did that twice....
Old 05-02-2013, 08:06 AM

so going vlsd is better than a phantom grip and a quaifie,can u explain a litttle more please.
(vipervadim) going with alot power so tryna see all possablities.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:44 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by Max streets
so going vlsd is better than a phantom grip and a quaifie,can u explain a litttle more please.
(vipervadim) going with alot power so tryna see all possablities.
Better than? Dunno about that - but you can buy a VLSD transmission without taking transmissions apart. The VLSD has four rotating gears for the passenger axle and conventional diffs have only two, so stronger. The VLSD diff will NOT fit into a conventional-diff transmission - bearings are bigger. You can tell if VLSD - look through the axle holes when axles aren't there, and you can see straight through - a conventional diff has a cross-shaft blocking the view. The VLSD does require a different driver's axle - passenger's is the same for both.

If you can find a quaifie, that's probably best - if you can find one. Otherwise, a VLSD is good. I think they are about 40% locking when spinning your tires. I don't know anything about a Phantom Grip...
Old 05-03-2013, 06:22 AM

ok good to now,i emailed quaifie two days ago no answer,im thinking of calling them but its not that easy thier in the uk, or i ask cattman first.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:02 PM
I like Maximas

Quaife > VLSD > Phantom Grip > open diff

For 5spd ^^^^ (can only put Quaife into an open diff case, same as Phantom grip)

In all honesty if you're looking to make BIG power, forget about the 5spd.

6spd HLSD with 3.82 gears.
The tranny is stronger, the gears themselves are beefier over 5spd, the gear ratio is much better. and 6th gear gas saver is fantastic.
HLSD is about as close to quaife as you can get without the crazy $$$.

all you need is 6spd flywheel with 3.0 crank ring. besides tranny mount everything else is bolt on/self explanatory.