All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

in distress! help with 5G engine swap in my 99 max

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 05:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

in distress! help with 5G engine swap in my 99 max

My fellow maxima fanatics, this is my second time posting but long time reader. I sold my 96 and got a 99 max that i've had for about 8 months now and i come to find out the engine is blown so now i'm in the market for another engine. After reading several threads i seem to be wanting to swap a 02-03 engine, if not, at least a 00-01 engine, both with AT to match. cash is not an issue but keeping my daily driver CEL free and emissions passable, along with it running w/o issues of course is my main concern.

So this is what i got going in my head as to what i wanna do; get a VQ35 engine [looking for low mileage]. Tear it down and polish the heads, rehone the cylinders, possibly drop in 350Z or G35 cams (if not just keep original cams) and balance/weigh all moving parts in the heads. Then put it back together with the 3.0 timing case and system and 3.0 upper and lower oil pans, fidanza lightweight flywheel, rebuilt 5G trans, aftermarket headers and exhaust system, with an oovi LIM & UIM, PFTB, CAI, while using the original ECU and TCU. (i even read some mods actually increase MPG).

Again, this is my DD, so i'm not trying to turn it into a qtr mile beast. i do love the idea of getting it as close to a Fairlady as i can . but please tell me if im overkilling it and modding more than i should. i'm just looking for more power while not burning major gas but something i can be proud of too.

i've read a lot of posts related to my project the best one so far is the VQ35 swap FAQs but its not necessarily an instructional how-to guide for a full swap. the rest are usually scattered how-to posts that are constantly debated about. or posts with links and/or pix that can no longer be viewed. or i'm sure there's an article or two i missed. i've also read over the list of the many big-namers who modded their 4G [with few full VQ35 swaps] but all of em seem to be building for drag mainly. Also all of them but a few at most seem to have idling problems, cold/warm start issues, CELs, or acceleration problems, to name a few. I did come across a link that shows 8 ways to successfully install an oovi and an engineering site that makes adapters for IACVs and TBs.

Now i read a lot of discussions over engine swaps, IM swaps, trans swaps, wiring, and parts mods. so much i couldnt retain eveything. I originally wanted to go super or turbo charged but decided not to simply because its more than what i'm looking for and i have no knowledge at all about install service or maintenance so i'm fine with leaving that out. anyways, from what i read there's several questions i seem to not get a clear answer or step by step to;

-tuning, im assuming it involves a VAFC, if so how do i get it tuned
-still not confident on knowing how to mod the returnless fuel rail
-aside from injector connector splicing what other rewiring do i have to do
-how do i install all coolant, engine, trans, exhaust sensors w/o ignoring them
-several modders opted to lose their EGR, vacuum hoses, IAVC and other similar parts, can i or should i toss em or keep em
-some one mentioned changing timing on the chain too.
There's other questions i can't remember right now as well.

There's other parts people mentioned about using like; piston rod bolts, main head bolts, UDPs, taking out/leaving in their rod, using an AFPR, aftermarket RPM, aftermarket valve springs, wide bands, etc. etc.

please anyone and everyone chime in with help ASAP! my classes start this month and my girl is nagging for me to do something about it. I feel i read quite a bit from all the possible mods that are available and what i'm inteersted in but of course i need an overseer since this is my first big mod. All i've done is drop in a dual-core all alum radiator w/ racing fan shroud, KYB strut systems, slotted and drilled(riveted) rotors [no BBK], bosch fuel pump, and i pulled out my old VQ30 for a complete gasket rebuild and dropped it back in. I know help is all voluntary but i'd really appreciate proper know how from seasoned veterans because i really wanna take record, pix and possibly video on it all so then i can post it back on here for future enthusiasts. thanks in advance guys

Anthony
Old 08-31-2016, 10:35 AM
PM me for LCA's!

To answer your questions:

-Get a VAFC, wire it in and take it to a Dyno shop to tune. Find one that has experience with a SAFC/VAFC, not just a general tuner
-Get a fuel pressure regulator from Summit or Aeromotive and do the returnless fuel that way
-You should only need to splice injectors if you are using 3.0 timing equipment
-All sensors should correspond to the 3.0 harness except the EGR. Hook it up and zip tie it out of the way to avoid cel codes
-Your timing will be set on the CAM adapters you use

As for building the motor. I personally wouldn't worry much about it. It's a lot of effort for a Maxima. Spend it elsewhere: Suspension, BBK, etc.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:12 AM

well if money isn't that big of a issue there are a few things that would make going to a 35 easy as for the ecu, I think most of the aftermarket ECUs have a plug and play harness and ecu these days. Or if you understanding wiring there is the option of trimming a 35 factory harness to suit your needs and using UP REV Osiris tuner and having the NATS removed. Then there are a few VQ35 ECUs that didn't have NATS like a 2002 Pathfinder, although they do come with other issues like I don't think Osiris works with them.

You could keep the 30 and stroke it with a 35 crank, it all depends how much effort you are looking to put into it and how deep you want to get into it. A lot will depend on how much $$$$ you want to put into it and time and effort, it's your car and if you want to dump 20k into a $1000 car go for it, I couldn't give you any grief about that since I'm getting close to that myself.......

there are a few places that offer products and or services that they don't really hold up too, I learned the hard way not to deal with fever racing (formally z fever) I spent 5k with them and it took 7 months for them to send my stuff after I was PIF and when I got engine and other stuff I found out that I didn't get the 40k engine that I paid for and I had to fix other parts I got, haven't got to dealing with the wiring harness and ecu but I'm expecting it to be on the messed up side..... So if you decide to go a little on the exotic for a build and such be cautious of what places say they can do and what they really offer. As far as head work expect to spend a bit i.e. VQs have solid lifter buckets so your looking at $16 X 24 to adjust valve lash and about two days to polish heads....

Let us know what way you decide to go, then it would be a bit easier for people to help you with issues, I have some parts that I will be looking to get rid of that I don't have listed that I won't be using like 350z cams and crank, once you decide what way you want to go and need parts hit me up I might have some to sell cheep, anyway best of luck with your build and keep us updated
Old 09-08-2016, 04:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

ok so im set in my ways. i picked up a 2001 VQ30 00vi with super low mileage thats sitting waiting to get pulled apart. what im adding to it is a 01 PFTB w/ IACV and TPS and adapter. im trying to find headers/y-pipe/catback system thats not only cheaper than OBX but that will not throw codes on my 99. im looking at the 3rd gen altima headers but havent found anyone out here that wants to fab a setup for me yet. im also looking at some new cams and springs, like Brian Crower stage 2/3 and Tomei Poncams. the crower cams look better to perform but states it has some rough idle. the tomei cams lobes arent as aggressive the crower but give a smoother ride and less vibration overall. i even checked out the JWT S1 cams for more comparisons. after that dust has cleared im continuing with the cam adapters form schmellyfart, emanage ultimate, wideband o2 and 3.5 oil pump

@ vernk, i know what you mean lol. i started out chasing the Z high but came back down to reality after reading more threads than i wanted, and ill PM you about the parts as well.

does anyone have any backed opinions on cams or solutions for the exhaust problem at all?