All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

97 nissan maxima engine swap.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 08:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

97 nissan maxima engine swap.

I am new to these forums/type of forums so i apologize if i do not about things properly but here we go. I have a 1997 Nissan Maxima SE that has a few many problems with it. There is a leak somewhere in the engine but I can not seem to find it, but from my looking around I think it is around cylinder 1 because I get a cylinder 1 misfire code when I run a code reader on it (as well as a 2 bad O2 censors). It is having some issues for some time lately shifting gears, it will stutter, jerk and some times not shift at all until i pull over shut it off for a minute or so then turn it back on and continue on my way. The engine itself is just shy of 250k miles on it and was looking to possibly swap it with a different motor just so i can get more out of the car. I am looking/want to know/see what my options are on what i can swap the engine with. I have seen/read on here and a few other places that i could swap out the 3.0 v6 that is in it for a 3.5 v6 which would more then likely have less miles on it but i might need to do some extra work on it to do that which makes me belive that it would be easier to just got a 3.0 even if it has a bit more mileage on it. I had also seen it is possible to switch it with a 4 cylinder instead but from what i found it seems like it would be a bad idea. Long story short i am looking at what my best options would do be replace the motor in my 1997 Nissan Maxima SE and what i may or may not have to do as well. Any information is helpful so thank you ahead of time.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:43 PM

Please use the enter key to separate thoughts. It makes posts much easier to read.

The easiest thing is to find a 95-99 with low miles. Anything else mentioned after this will require tuning.

The second easiest is an 00-01 vq30-dek.

If you want to do a 3.5 swap you either swap on the 3.0 timing equipment or you rewire your car to adapt the 02+ ecu/pedal/cluster. Both topics have been beaten to death. Which 3.5 to use has also been beaten to death.

Search, read and don't expect to find or understand everything overnight.